Author Topic: Lee Haney - The Best Bodybuilder  (Read 27125 times)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: Lee Haney
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
;)
Awesome shot, Lee is one of the most underrated MR O's, almost seems to be lost in the mix since Dorian, Ronnie and the others took over, in my view Lee Haney brought in a New Era when he first took over as Champion the Next Level so to speak since Arnold ruled the roost in the 1970s...Massive size (for the times 240-250lbs in Contest shape) Fantastic taper, cuts, some BB's look awesome standing there on there own, then when someone stands next to them not so good, Lee had the opposite effect..alot of times Lee didn,t look great hitting shots on stage by himself...he'd then hit the same shot next to the top 6 of those times and look like a monster...Lee Haney = Very Underrated BB Champion

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
LMFAO@275 offseason

Yup and he competed near 250.  I have an old Mr. Olympia video where they all weighed in and Haney was at 247 while Strydom weighed in at like 225 and he was 6'2".  Needless to say... Strydom got crushed.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »
Yup and he competed near 250.  I have an old Mr. Olympia video where they all weighed in and Haney was at 247 while Strydom weighed in at like 225 and he was 6'2".  Needless to say... Strydom got crushed.
That would of been the 1988 Mr O in L.A?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »

I've never heard anywhere Haney was 275 offseason

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »

He was actually about 243 at the weigh in, but I'm sure he carbed up a few extra pounds by the prejudging and finals.  Here's a good article on it:

This month's issue of FLEX features the debut of Lee's Way, a column penned by eight-time Mr. Olympia Lee Haney. With this addition to the FLEX team, we now have the three most recent Mr. Olympias as columnists: Ronnie Coleman, Dorian Yates and Haney. That equates to a combined collection (prior to the 2002 Mr. O) of 18 Sandows.

With eight Mr. Olympia wins to his credit, Haney has the resume for us to acclaim him as history's greatest bodybuilder. More impressive, Haney is a leading candidate for the title of bodybuilding's greatest person. For more than 20 years, he's been a major figure on the bodybuilding scene, bringing dignity and class to everything he does. A spiritual man, he practices what he preaches and has a smile and a kind word for everyone he encounters. With his spectacular physique, outgoing personality, charisma and innate good nature, Haney became the ideal ambassador for bodybuilding--an overused title that fits him perfectly.

Related Results
Weight for it
The road back: after a four-year layoff, ageless wonder Vince Taylor emerges...
Destiny takes a detour: Matt Mendenhall was poised to rule bodybuilding in...
Toney's tall tale: Toney Freeman has packed on 130 pounds since he began...
Classic chest: borrowing from legends, Rusty Jeffers crafts a pec workout... Haney is a true sportsman, always magnanimous and complimentary to his rivals. And he is honest. It's not uncommon for a bodybuilder to exaggerate his physical dimensions, but Haney became famous for never fudging his stats. In one celebrated episode, two days before the 1988 Mr. Olympia in Los Angeles, all competitors had to weigh in. Prior to the event, Haney had stated his competitive bodyweight was a steady 244 pounds. Others in the lineup, including Berry DeMey, Phil Hill and Gary Strydom, said they were about the same poundage as the reigning champ. At the weigh-in, here's how the four tipped the scales: DeMey, 227 pounds; Hill, 222 1/2 pounds; Strydom (with hat), 229 pounds; and Haney, 243 1/4 pounds. The champ duly went on to take his fifth Olympia title.

Today, Haney lives comfortably just outside Atlanta with his wife, Shirley, and their two children, Joshua, 15, and Olympia, 12. He is involved in a variety of projects. He has a gym business in Atlanta; a line of supplements bearing his name; a Web site (www.leehaney.com); and even his own TV show, TotaLEE Fit, on Trinity Broadcast Network. Despite all that, Lee found the time to establish Haney's Harvest House, a 40-acre facility in Georgia that caters to disadvantaged children. Of all his accomplishments, that last one best sums up the generous spirit of Lee Haney. We're lucky to have him in the sport, and we're lucky to have him with FLEX.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Weider Publications
COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_/ai_98488557

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »
I thought Haney was around 260 off season, and under the supervision and coaching of Fred Hatfield he did a very strict/clean bulk...which explains his comp. weight being relatively close to his off season. he was 245-250 contest right? 245?

Haney was one of the few to approach training and diet from a scientific perspective.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »
all BGG

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »
After reading those stomach turning Gay for Pay stories, it's nice to know there are bodybuilders out there like Haney that would never resort to such degrading acts. A great champion all around and a nice decent guy.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
Actually, when Haney started winning the O in 84, GH was just starting to take off. In fact many attribute the amazing improvement Haney made between 83 and 84 to be because of Gh. Bob Paris admitted taking Gh when he won the 83 Nationals and 83 Mr. Universe, and he was much bigger that year than the previous year. It's the insulin and IGF1 mixed in that has caused the bloated big belly guys of today. First big insulin user was in the late 70's early 80's..named Tim Belknap. He had to use because he was diabetic, but he was one of the most massive short guys around back then.

good post, basically what i was gonna post.

gh was used in the 80s and some experimented with it before that. (one example is mr pointy elbows dickerson)

and the dwarf  belknap did infact add mass via his use of insulin (as said above ; he was a diabetic)

and in the pics i posted Lee wasnt at his biggest

when lee was at his biggest (91..i think) , he certainly wouldnt be dwarfed by todays pros.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
I thought Haney was around 260 off season, and under the supervision and coaching of Fred Hatfield he did a very strict/clean bulk...which explains his comp. weight being relatively close to his off season. he was 245-250 contest right? 245?

Haney was one of the few to approach training and diet from a scientific perspective.

haney weighed 248lbs at the 1991 mr olympia if i remember correcly.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
Dave how the fuck can you say Haney wouldn't get recognition today?

Seriously...how...the... fuck?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
Dave how the fuck can you say Haney wouldn't get recognition today?

Seriously...how...the... fuck?
sorry dude, i like Lee but i think if he stood in the lineup of the Top 10 IFBB guys right now he'd be totally dwarfed.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
good shots, crazy how far bodybuilding has come when you think that he was Mr. Olympis 8 times with that body, he wouldn't get a second look these days on even the NPC junior nationals stage with that body.

Crazy how people coudnt believe their eyes looking at those Haneys pics 20 plus years ago......

Too bad that same reaction doesnt happen with the champs of "these days".

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »

hahahahahaha, "Haney had a scientific approach to dieting", the guy said in his own book that for energy he would eat pancakes or waffles with syrup and also canned pineapples, hahahaha, very "scientific". ::)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
hahahahahaha, "Haney had a scientific approach to dieting", the guy said in his own book that for energy he would eat pancakes or waffles with syrup and also canned pineapples, hahahaha, very "scientific". ::)

What year was it from? He changed his approach a lot when he worked with dr squat.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
What year was it from? He changed his approach a lot when he worked with dr squat.
there wasn't very much scientific about Hatfield's approach either really, his main idea was to eat for what you're planning to do not to recover from anything.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
 ;)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »
there wasn't very much scientific about Hatfield's approach either really, his main idea was to eat for what you're planning to do not to recover from anything.

I think you better read or re-read his books if THAT is your conclusion  ??? There is definitely something you've misunderstood, to put it bluntly.

I don't get it. you write a lot of sensible posts where I agree with you, but sometimes - including now- I think you're just trolling. You know just as I do - or OUGHT to know in the very least - that few have been as scientific with their training as hatfield and his friends (Yessis, Verkoshansky..guys from the Soviet union and many others).

Say what you want. It does not change the fact that these guys are from the scientific school, and considering that hatfield recommends ice showers, active release treatment/muscular re-education/deep tissue massage, hypnotism, taking several naps during the day even if you have to find a closet, etc etc (the list is really long and I simply don't remember it) I think it's a bit disrespectful to say he ain't about recovery. If there is one thing he stresses again and again and again it's recovery, proper nutrition.
Besides, do you have scientific grounds to say that recovery is impaired by eating what you are about to do? It makes a helluva lot more sense than eating for what you've just done. Look at blood sugar impact following a meal.

I am sensitive on this issue because the last thing you or anyone ought to be is disrespectful towards a guy who went all in to reach his goals and use and preach methods that make SENSE.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
I think you better read or re-read his books if THAT is your conclusion  ??? There is definitely something you've misunderstood, to put it bluntly.

I don't get it. you write a lot of sensible posts where I agree with you, but sometimes - including now- I think you're just trolling. You know just as I do - or OUGHT to know in the very least - that few have been as scientific with their training as hatfield and his friends (Yessis, Verkoshansky..guys from the Soviet union and many others).

Say what you want. It does not change the fact that these guys are from the scientific school, and considering that hatfield recommends ice showers, active release treatment/muscular re-education/deep tissue massage, hypnotism, taking several naps during the day even if you have to find a closet, etc etc (the list is really long and I simply don't remember it) I think it's a bit disrespectful to say he ain't about recovery. If there is one thing he stresses again and again and again it's recovery, proper nutrition.
Besides, do you have scientific grounds to say that recovery is impaired by eating what you are about to do? It makes a helluva lot more sense than eating for what you've just done. Look at blood sugar impact following a meal.

I am sensitive on this issue because the last thing you or anyone ought to be is disrespectful towards a guy who went all in to reach his goals and use and preach methods that make SENSE.

He really doesn't know much about competitive bodybuilding and he's not being contrary he believe the nonsense he types

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »
Haney ;D

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »

Apart from quads, he would still be competitive as a current pro... Looks better than this guy imo

O

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
 ;)

Atlantic

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »
All the top 10 pros would have been competitive with today’s pros. I mean look at markes ruhl, dennis james, jay cutler, branch waren just to name a few are all like bloody disproportional different upper than lower and with the stupid pregnant stomach and love handles with 6 pax

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »