Author Topic: How do you distinguish a bad day at the gym from a consistent loss of strength  (Read 5682 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
over a prolonged period of time.

Today was horrible; I couldn't even get the dumbbells up to shoulder press what I could do for 8 reps half a year ago and then injured myself. Thing is, I ate tons today...kind of a weird mystery.... ???

If I have been losing strength, how best to get it back whilst on a diet?
I hate the State.

mass 04

• Getbig V
I think you have to consider outside factors i.e. stress, lack of sleep (which is a problem, i know),etc. If this is just a once in a while occurrence i wouldn't worry about it, but if it is occurring regularly then you're probably losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. The first thing I'd do, is up the protein. What type of diet are you following, because that is a pretty big drop in weights if it's been happening regularly.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
keep a diary of your lifts and reps if you're worried then refer back to old workouts to see if you have a problem.

Ta ta nerds!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I think you have to consider outside factors i.e. stress, lack of sleep (which is a problem, i know),etc. If this is just a once in a while occurrence i wouldn't worry about it, but if it is occurring regularly then you're probably losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. The first thing I'd do, is up the protein. What type of diet are you following, because that is a pretty big drop in weights if it's been happening regularly.

Trying to get about 2 grams per kg...it had been a rough week though. I mostly do low-carb, but I cycle both carbs and calories a lot.
I hate the State.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
it can be that your glycogen levels have gone down a little bit too much cause of dieting, have an extra carb meal and see if that helps. You just want to bring them up a little bit, not to full, that will hinder fat loss.
tank u jesus

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
It's your low carb diet that's fucking you over man. I don't know how anyone thrives on this shit.
 And no, one meal won't makes things all better.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Deicide, you have been trying to achieve the impossible without the use of steroids.  Just get some test and you will see dramatic results.  If you eat right, train like a madman and do 500mg a week for 10 weeks you will be well on your way.  I think you are in your late 30's right?

I was in your position as well at one time so I know what you are going through.  I don't do shit anymore except try to get a lower bodyfat % and lift for maintenance.  If you want to be natural and gain muscle and lose fat at the same time you have YEARS of hard work.  Fuck these guys that claim 40 pounds of muscle gained naturally in a year or 2.  Just doesn't happen.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Deicide, you have been trying to achieve the impossible without the use of steroids.  Just get some test and you will see dramatic results.  If you eat right, train like a madman and do 500mg a week for 10 weeks you will be well on your way.  I think you are in your late 30's right?

I was in your position as well at one time so I know what you are going through.  I don't do shit anymore except try to get a lower bodyfat % and lift for maintenance.  If you want to be natural and gain muscle and lose fat at the same time you have YEARS of hard work.  Fuck these guys that claim 40 pounds of muscle gained naturally in a year or 2.  Just doesn't happen.

I am still early 30's...not trying to gain mass, just keep what I have whilst getting lean. Just doing a normal diet trying to get lean without losing all my muscle and strength.
I hate the State.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
if you have been training for some time, you should know how to distinguish a bad day from a loss of strength.  sometimes you have too many things on your plate and cannot focus, sometimes you have not fully recovered from the previous workout, etc.