Author Topic: Bodybuilding and Junk Food  (Read 4242 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: Bodybuilding and Junk Food
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »
Dang, we need a Heart Attack Grill in Europe!

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=242628.0

Dr. Jon is my new hero!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 09:59:45 AM »
I know you're trying to approach this from a "bodybuilding only" perspective Wavelength, but the idea that unhealthy foods will build a better physique than healthy foods is clearly false, so there's really no reason to eat junk food beyond indulgence.  Besides, longevity and quality of life should be important to everyone, even bodybuilders.

As far as physique development goes, high fat high sugar foods are going to promote fat gain and do less to build and refuel existing muscle than slower burning carbs with protein and moderate fat imo.  Rollercoaster insulin levels promote cravings and overeating for most people.

Of course you can simply choose to eat a calorically controlled diet of so called junk food and not gain fat or even diet effectively, but it's not the best way to go imo.  The comparatively minuscule volume of calorically dense food cannot provide true satiety to the dieter, low bloodsugar cravings will require more willpower to fight, and the unhealthy nature of junk food should give anyone second thoughts about making it their staple diet.

Fwiw, I have no problem with eating dreadfully unhealthy shit on an occasional basis or with finding required calories from calorically dense foods (although a healthy option should be the usual choice) for someone who struggles to get enough fuel from traditional "bodybuilding cuisine."  I've been known to supplement with a big mac or 2, but it's not a daily practice.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »
I know you're trying to approach this from a "bodybuilding only" perspective Wavelength, but the idea that unhealthy foods will build a better physique than healthy foods is clearly false, so there's really no reason to eat junk food beyond indulgence.  Besides, longevity and quality of life should be important to everyone, even bodybuilders.

As far as physique development goes, high fat high sugar foods are going to promote fat gain and do less to build and refuel existing muscle than slower burning carbs with protein and moderate fat imo.  Rollercoaster insulin levels promote cravings and overeating for most people.

Of course you can simply choose to eat a calorically controlled diet of so called junk food and not gain fat or even diet effectively, but it's not the best way to go imo.  The comparatively minuscule volume of calorically dense food cannot provide true satiety to the dieter, low bloodsugar cravings will require more willpower to fight, and the unhealthy nature of junk food should give anyone second thoughts about making it their staple diet.

Fwiw, I have no problem with eating dreadfully unhealthy shit on an occasional basis or with finding required calories from calorically dense foods (although a healthy option should be the usual choice) for someone who struggles to get enough fuel from traditional "bodybuilding cuisine."  I've been known to supplement with a big mac or 2, but it's not a daily practice.

Good post, I'm not denying that there are health benefits to certain foods. I eat a wide variety of foods, but never things I don't like; at least not anymore. A nice tenderloin steak with potato and veggies e.g. is delicious.

As far as carbs vs. fats go, there are both extremes in bodybuilding. I can't see why a middle of the road approach would not be just as good. What seems to be the point is high sugar and high unhealthy fat content. IMO, the difference between sugar and other forms of carbs as well as between healthy and unhealthy fats is highly overrated, at least for the bodybuilding purpose. A good mixture IMO is just as good as leaving sugar and saturated fat out completely.

As far as craving goes, from my experience it is completely the other way round. When I was on a classical bodybuilding diet with 6-8 "clean" meals, I had cravings all the time. On my current diet, practically none. It takes a few days of adjustment, then it's all fine.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Good post, I'm not denying that there are health benefits to certain foods. I eat a wide variety of foods, but never things I don't like; at least not anymore. A nice tenderloin steak with potato and veggies e.g. is delicious.

As far as carbs vs. fats go, there are both extremes in bodybuilding. I can't see why a middle of the road approach would not be just as good. What seems to be the point is high sugar and high unhealthy fat content. IMO, the difference between sugar and other forms of carbs as well as between healthy and unhealthy fats is highly overrated, at least for the bodybuilding purpose. A good mixture IMO is just as good as leaving sugar and saturated fat out completely.

As far as craving goes, from my experience it is completely the other way round. When I was on a classical bodybuilding diet with 6-8 "clean" meals, I had cravings all the time. On my current diet, practically none. It takes a few days of adjustment, then it's all fine.

Agree that the middle of the road approach is best, although we may have different ideas of what that means.  When I'm dieting, my 3 main issues are:

1. Satiety.  Calorie sparse foods mean big food volume.  I can be absolutely stuffed on 2000 cals a day if I choose the right foods, whereas I could eat 5000 calories in a single sitting with the wrong foods (or have to leave 93% of the 5000 cal food on the plate).

2. Cravings.  My cravings seem to come from blood sugar drops rather than low but stable blood sugar, so I stay away from high GI carbs in general when dieting.  Maybe its an individual thing.  I don't take it to the extreme that some guys do tho, like refusing to use ketchup for fear of sugar for instance. 

3. Boredom.  Carb and fat sparse foods are dull.  Occasional indulgence, especially pwo, isn't the end of the world even when dieting, provided it's within reason.  TA's eat anything but only in small amounts approach only addresses this point, for me anyway.

Of course, I hate dieting, so I might accept getting a little smoother while trying to make gains (and while eating a less strict diet), but I try not to let the "bulk" get out of hand. 

The bottom line imo is that most people could eat food that they enjoy and stay reasonably lean without worrying about portion control if they eat 9/10 meals from a health-first perspective (not broccoli and dry chicken breast, but not a big mac, fries, coke, and ice cream either) and do regular exercise.  That's more or less my idea of a middle of the road dietary approach.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »
1. Satiety.  Calorie sparse foods mean big food volume.  I can be absolutely stuffed on 2000 cals a day if I choose the right foods, whereas I could eat 5000 calories in a single sitting with the wrong foods (or have to leave 93% of the 5000 cal food on the plate).

Is that really your experience? Yes I can get a full stomach on fish and broccoli a few times a day, but that's not what I would call "satiety". I would still be hungry most of the day. I'd rather be really satisfied one time a day than never. IMO, most of what we call "hunger" in western society is psychological anyway. Nobody is "starving" on a 2000 cal diet, regardless of how it is designed.

2. Cravings.  My cravings seem to come from blood sugar drops rather than low but stable blood sugar, so I stay away from high GI carbs in general when dieting.  Maybe its an individual thing.  I don't take it to the extreme that some guys do tho, like refusing to use ketchup for fear of sugar for instance.

Yes maybe it's individual. I can only say that after a few days, I did not have any cravings on my current diet. I'm just a little hungry in the evening, that's all. I don't feel any effects of changing blood sugar levels.

3. Boredom.  Carb and fat sparse foods are dull.  Occasional indulgence, especially pwo, isn't the end of the world even when dieting, provided it's within reason.  TA's eat anything but only in small amounts approach only addresses this point, for me anyway.

My approach is probably a little more extreme than TA's. While following the same basic principles, I choose to have one large meal of anything I like, everyday. Since I like variety, this will include food considered healthy one day, and food considered not so healthy on a different day. The occasional indulgence for me means eating two or three such large meals a day, once a week.

Of course, I hate dieting, so I might accept getting a little smoother while trying to make gains (and while eating a less strict diet), but I try not to let the "bulk" get out of hand.

That's my main point: What good is any diet if you hate it? IMO, even the health benefits are possibly canceled out by hating the way you have to eat. Since switching to my current diet, I do not hate it at all. It's even better than "clean" bulking. I could easily stay on the diet maintaining my current condition for the rest of my life. It's the same with my training. If I wouldn't love working out, I would have quit a long time ago. I'm a lazy slacker.

The bottom line imo is that most people could eat food that they enjoy and stay reasonably lean without worrying about portion control if they eat 9/10 meals from a health-first perspective (not broccoli and dry chicken breast, but not a big mac, fries, coke, and ice cream either) and do regular exercise.  That's more or less my idea of a middle of the road dietary approach.

Basically, I agree. However, if we are talking about people with a weight problem (who have little to no self-control), I would rather first put them on a diet, where they could eat everything they like but with enough protein and with the requirement that they must restrict their calories so that they lose weight. If they manage to do that consistently, it would still be more benificial to their health than any diet of foods they don't like and can't stick to anyway. A bigger variety of foods will come automatically, once they have learned that dieting is nothing to be hated.

Tom Cruise

• Getbig II
  • "People who attack Scientology are criminals."
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
Could someone please explain to me what "junk food" means in bodybuilding terms?
I know a lot of food that tastes like junk, but I think it means something else.

Very good question!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'm misusing the word "satiety."  What I mean is: a full stomach, not feeling hollow, not hungry.  

I differentiate that from "craving" which usually strikes me in the way of wanting something sweet, usually chocolate, even if there's food in the belly.  When I've tried keto or very low carb dieting, I was struck with chocolate cravings.  They faded (or maybe I just got used to it) but never really disappeared.  

That's why I prefer a "carb reduced" approach to fat loss, under 200g, with some carbs in every meal except possibly the last, even if it's only non starchy veg.  It keeps me full, stops cravings, maintains intensity in the gym, and is sustainable.  I agree that there's no point in dieting so hard that life becomes a misery.

Tom Cruise

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'm misusing the word "satiety."  What I mean is: a full stomach, not feeling hollow, not hungry.  

I differentiate that from "craving" which usually strikes me in the way of wanting something sweet, usually chocolate, even if there's food in the belly.  When I've tried keto or very low carb dieting, I was struck with chocolate cravings.  They faded (or maybe I just got used to it) but never really disappeared.  

That's why I prefer a "carb reduced" approach to fat loss, under 200g, with some carbs in every meal except possibly the last, even if it's only non starchy veg.  It keeps me full, stops cravings, maintains intensity in the gym, and is sustainable.  I agree that there's no point in dieting so hard that life becomes a misery.

Great read, so much info!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
Great read, so much info!

Really?  I thought my second post was the best.  I've been going downhill fast ever since.  All these deepfried snickers bars are giving me ADD.

Tom Cruise

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »
Really?  I thought my second post was the best.  I've been going downhill fast ever since.  All these deepfried snickers bars are giving me ADD.

HAHA.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 01:00:16 PM »
Could someone please explain to me what "junk food" means in bodybuilding terms?
I know a lot of food that tastes like junk, but I think it means something else.

You already know the answer, wavespectre.
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »

Well on my diet I have no cravings whatsoever, and very little hunger.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
You already know the answer, wavespectre.

Yes, I think it's an unnecessary perversion. It labels most foods that are delicious as "junk", while mostly tasteless, dry, or watery crap passes as "clean" food. I asked the question to maybe get different opinions on the topic. 8)