Author Topic: Hedgehog versus Max Rep  (Read 2111 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: Hedgehog versus Max Rep
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
Dave,you`re the man buddy!!

No Tim YOU are the man. You’re the one out there doing it. I’m just banging around in the gym.

I know and worked with Max Rep and I am pretty sure he would take Hedge in any type of competition.  And for BB knowledge he is very hard to beat on here.  I only wish I had his memory.

I still love to train Keith. I’ve been going through Active Release Therapy so the injuries are almost all behind me. Now I can step it up a bit.

Benny Podda

Benny (BTW, Benny was not his real first name he took it on after his father died. His father was Benny) has to be one of the most “colorful” personalities I’ve ever met.  Craved attention (imagine that… a bodybuilder who craves attention) and loved to make people laugh.

Ray, Benny, Mike, some of the regulars at Ray’s gym (Muscle Mill) in Redondo Beach, CA and myself would go out to eat after the gym closed at 9:00 p.m.

One night after we ate we were all outside talking. Only a guy named Ross and myself knew the proper way to alleviate our excess testosterone and Ross was doing so by talking to a seemingly willing tenderloin (girl).  She was in a convertible and Ross squatted down next to her car and was giving it his best sale pitch.

We had carpooled (a feat in itself) to the restaurant and those guy’s wanted to go. Benny yells out “Ross if you ain’t gonna d**k her, let’s get the f**k outa here”. Ross keeps talking but says just give me a minute.  Benny goes up to the car holds one nostril closed and blows a snot on her windshield.  The girl freaks but Ross tries to overcome it.   

Next thing we heard Benny shout out “Ross call the fire department”!  Benny has his pants around his knees and he’s lighting his pubic hair on fire! 

The next thing you we heard was the squeal of her tires as she sped out of the parking lot like a bat out of hell!  “Call the fire department” became Benny’s knew moniker.

What a character!

and keep moving!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »
Hedge pulls 600?

Damn good for a natural

(he is natural right?)

IMO 600+ lbs is ok for a natural @ 198 lbs. My personal best is 616 or 620, I can't remember which (so prolly 616).
Not great but not bad either.

I pulled 594 lbs (?) for my opener the other day. Missed the second and third attempts on 638 lbs.

Dave (Max_Rep) trained with some of the strongest BB's, Ray Mentzer especially, and kicked ass in the early 80's.

From what I know, he was a fcuking tank.

Someone who trained with Ray Mentzer and didn't get embarassed while at it, is a strong motherfcuker for sure.

As empty as paradise

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
…waiting for Danny Padilla to train.

At the time Danny was training for the IFBB Mr. USA (the NPC did not yet exist). Danny had been out to California several times but we still lived in Rochester.

We trained at Turner Barbell Club which was in the basement of an old, old, old brick building that was owned by a German Gymnastics Association. We (35 members) rented a space that was formerly 4 bowling lanes. Someone had nailed plywood over the lanes and the equipment was homemade welded by one of the members and old Olympic sets a few used commercial pieces, the pipes leaked, the place smelled like mold. It was hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter.

No, we didn’t walk 50 miles in the snow to train... ha, ha, ha!

So why was Danny late? Well you see he was doing his OTHER favorite activity. He was at the race track betting the horses. Every day… like clockwork. 

Danny must have been one hell of a funny guy to be around. That must have been so awesome training with him. :D

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 01:57:36 PM »
Great stories max rep!!

Do you have any pictures from those days?
tank u jesus

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »

IMO 600+ lbs is ok for a natural @ 198 lbs. My personal best is 616 or 620, I can't remember which (so prolly 616).
Not great but not bad either.

I pulled 594 lbs (?) for my opener the other day. Missed the second and third attempts on 638 lbs.

Dave (Max_Rep) trained with some of the strongest BB's, Ray Mentzer especially, and kicked ass in the early 80's.

From what I know, he was a fcuking tank.

Someone who trained with Ray Mentzer and didn't get embarassed while at it, is a strong motherfcuker for sure.

Damn Hedgehog those are some impressive numbers. Trust me keeping up with Ray in strength was impossible BUT back in the day I was able to match anyone (except Platz and maybe Defendis and Michalik) with intensity and drive. That was why I was able to train with so many Champions and my claim to fame. I never had the genetics nor was I willing to go over a moderate dosage to ever make much of a mark. My strongest lifts where BB and DB rows, DB curls, Squats and Leg presses. At my best I regularly did BB Rows with 365 for 8 and 180 DB’s for about 8 form was with a little body English. I sucked at any pressing movements but was strong with flies and laterals.     

Danny must have been one hell of a funny guy to be around. That must have been so awesome training with him. :D

Danny is a riot and he really got me straightened around with training. His routines worked well for me although I can’t imagine putting that kind of time in anymore. Danny always has great stories and between he and Samir I don’t know who does a better Joe Weider imitation.

Great stories max rep!!

Do you have any pictures from those days?

Bobby I really “f”ed up there. At my biggest I got up to about 215 and pretty hard at 5’7”. But I knew I wasn’t hard enough for pictures so I never had any taken. Then I got injured and married and never got up there again. I had photos done when I was about 190 and off all “help” for 6 months but they were for modeling and acting and this IS getbig and I know what kind of comments they’d get.

Trust me guys this thread is not about how great David (cause I’m not) is but simply about some experiences I had that some people might find fun or entertaining.
and keep moving!