Author Topic: Iron Age - Gold's Gym Venice picture from the past  (Read 15769 times)

lax

• Getbig IV
Re: Iron Age
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 04:55:18 AM »
Wrong that was taken at the 2nd Street Santa Monica location. It was taken around 1979 or 1980. The Gym moved from there to the current location on Hampon Drive in Venice during the late summer of 1980 for the filming of Hart to Hart (the Studio's helped pay for the move).

Dickerson won the Olympia in 1982. 

More on this picture starting on page 6 of this thread: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=151268.125

No.

Taken after A won the fixed Olympia in Sydney.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
No.

Taken after A won the fixed Olympia in Sydney.

Which was 1980 and the Gym was still on 2nd Street in Santa Monica... like I said.
and keep moving!

Stavios

Re: Iron Age - Gold's Gym Venice picture from the past
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
those dudes look great !

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Which was 1980 and the Gym was still on 2nd Street in Santa Monica... like I said.

not
mr moderator

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »
Ex-lax, let it go.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »
There's no comparison between what those guys used compared to use by pros today.
The early 80s was a great time for BBing.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
so who is dead now, and who has a successful career, and who is a bum

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:18 AM »
not
mr moderator

Okay bonehead I was there... training. Tell me what was incorrect about my post. I'm sure your answer will just further prove your ignorance.
and keep moving!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
Okay bonehead I was there... training. Tell me what was incorrect about my post. I'm sure your answer will just further prove your ignorance.

Ignore him.

The only real point of confusion is WHICH fixed Olympia - '76, Columbu's first win, the '79 Olympia where Zane beat guys in better shape and bigger, '80 with Arnold or '81 with Columbu?  :D

Arnie stopped "the stuff" at 27? Really? Cause hes looked pretty jacked well into his 40s...

I'm sure he was back on the juice for various movies, while controlling the bodyweight so that he'd be cut and big but not huge for film work. About 210, and the weight stayed on the upper bod more than the thighs.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:46 AM »
As far as the scene then and now, i've always believed that an eventual return of Gold's to a point closer to the beach would help. It's not terribly far away now but doesn't have the immediacy to the beach of the original locale. Real estate prices might likely prevent this but that's my opinion.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
Ignore him.

The only real point of confusion is WHICH fixed Olympia - '76, Columbu's first win, the '79 Olympia where Zane beat guys in better shape and bigger, '80 with Arnold or '81 with Columbu?  :D

I'm sure he was back on the juice for various movies, while controlling the bodyweight so that he'd be cut and big but not huge for film work. About 210, and the weight stayed on the upper bod more than the thighs.

Zane deserved each olympia win...just my opinion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »
Zane deserved each olympia win...just my opinion

And you're entitled to it. However, the "sport" is rife with questionable decisions, and there was never any recourse as it's a privately run, commercial business.

If you look at an old thread i made on this board about the 78 and 79 olympias, you'll see that in '79 Robinson and Callendar were in better condition than Zane, and far bigger.

I mention this because the stock excuse for Zane's wins was always that Robinson wasn't in shape, which the '79 video disproves.

Obviously there are rampant politics in this "sport". A previous Olympia winner did in fact tell me that Weider wanted good spokesmen as the winner, which would be fair if the judging criteria considered this.

I believe that this factor and some others were the reason for Robinson never winning (not particularly articulate or polite) and Fox losing to Samir-the '83 video confirms that Fox was more cut than Samir, bigger and had better balance. I don't believe for a minute that that posing makes up for all of those advantages or that Samir's posing was that much better than Fox's either. There's more to it than that.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
And you're entitled to it. However, the "sport" is rife with questionable decisions, and there was never any recourse as it's a privately run, commercial business.

If you look at an old thread i made on this board about the 78 and 79 olympias, you'll see that in '79 Robinson and Callendar were in better condition than Zane, and far bigger.

I mention this because the stock excuse for Zane's wins was always that Robinson wasn't in shape, which the '79 video disproves.

Obviously there are rampant politics in this "sport". A previous Olympia winner did in fact tell me that Weider wanted good spokesmen as the winner, which would be fair if the judging criteria considered this.

I believe that this factor and some others were the reason for Robinson never winning (not particularly articulate or polite) and Fox losing to Samir-the '83 video confirms that Fox was more cut than Samir, bigger and had better balance. I don't believe for a minute that that posing makes up for all of those advantages or that Samir's posing was that much better than Fox's either. There's more to it than that.

Could tell from poor quality video, but the mags at the time told me Zane.

Indeed, Robby would have been a very poor spokesman for bb. That could have been a reason...but he always seemed to fail to bring it Olympia day.

ChemV2 will corroborate on this...he was at these Olympias, in fact...he was backstage at two of them.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »
I was backstage with Robinson, Columbu, Ferrigno, Mentzer, Walker, etc at the '76 Universe in Montreal, with Schwarzenegger & Weider wandering the halls. This was the year after the Universe shown in Pumping Iron, with many of the same guys.

but he always seemed to fail to bring it Olympia day.

As i already said, this is the stock excuse trotted out, which doesn't always hold water and should be questioned by anyone with an independant mind. The video of '79 doesn't jive with the propoganda that some still swallow to this day. Calendar and Robinson were both as or more cut than Zane and far larger.

I never thought Zane has great symmetry either; his structure wasn't great IMO, didn't flow that well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/mr.%252Bolympia/video/x2s3jd_mr-olympia-1978_extreme

All the questionable politics caught up with Weider in the late 70s and early 80s, when many of the top BBs left or retired from the IFBB thanks to the unfairness. If Weider had been more open-minded and had allowed those more deserving to win, i believe BB of that era prior to Haney and post-Arnold would have been appreciably enlivened thru the development of strong rivalries that couldn't been developed further.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
I was backstage with Robinson, Columbu, Ferrigno, Mentzer, Walker, etc at the '76 Universe in Montreal, with Schwarzenegger & Weider wandering the halls. This was the year after the Universe shown in Pumping Iron, with many of the same guys.

As i already said, this is the stock excuse trotted out, which doesn't always hold water and should be questioned by anyone with an independant mind. The video of '79 doesn't jive with the propoganda that some still swallow to this day. Calendar and Robinson were both as or more cut than Zane and far larger.

I never thought Zane has great symmetry either; his structure wasn't great IMO, didn't flow that well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/mr.%252Bolympia/video/x2s3jd_mr-olympia-1978_extreme

All the questionable politics caught up with Weider in the late 70s and early 80s, when many of the top BBs left or retired from the IFBB thanks to the unfairness. If Weider had been more open-minded and had allowed those more deserving to win, i believe BB of that era prior to Haney and post-Arnold would have been appreciably enlivened thru the development of strong rivalries that couldn't been developed further.

agreed

However

Relatively speaking
Both Calendar and Robby had only fair leg development
Zane's thigh's were among his better bodyparts

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
agreed

However

Relatively speaking
Both Calendar and Robby had only fair leg development
Zane's thigh's were among his better bodyparts

Agreed on Calendar, but Robinson had pretty good legs - outstanding hams that weren't as obvious in pics as when seen in person, very good quad size, shape and taper with decent cuts and solid calf size and good shape.

Never thought of Zane having any strong points, to be honest, including legs. Didn't have a great structure or great muscle shape or size in relation to truly aesthetic BBs like Nubret or Reeves.

BTW does anyone seriously believe that had Nubret entered the show in '75 or the late 70s that he wouldn't have beaten Columbu and Zane? Nubret was another one who was absent for political behind the scenes reasons.

Robinson's legs while not great were pretty damn good..i'd also say his physique overall was more balanced, had better shape and aesthetics than Zane.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
Agreed on Calendar, but Robinson had pretty good legs - outstanding hams that weren't as obvious in pics as when seen in person, very good quad size, shape and taper with decent cuts and solid calf size and good shape. \
\
Lack of muscle at the knee/lower quads

Never thought of Zane having any strong points, to be honest, including legs. Didn't have a great structure or great muscle shape or size in relation to truly aesthetic BBs like Nubret or Reeve

Zane envied and even told me Reeves had better thigh/leg genetics than him. Arnold didn't like the fact that Zane could out squat him. Very strong squatter and there was even one M&F in the 70's with 'best bodyparts'....Zane won for thighs.

BTW does anyone seriously believe that had Nubret entered the show in '75 or the late 70s that he wouldn't have beaten Columbu and Zane? Nubret was another one who was absent for political behind the scenes reasons.

Columbu yes; Zane no....Nubrets legs were weak...you can even read coverage of Nubret competing against A and Franco in one of the early 70's Olympias....George Butler was writing in the beginning of the book , "pumping Iron'....that Nubret started to lose something when he was posing. He was not as impressive in contest than in photos.

Read it, Pump, you will see what I mean

Robinson's legs while not great were pretty damn good..i'd also say his physique overall was more balanced, had better shape and aesthetics than Zane.