Author Topic: Slacker Uprising vs. Willpower Bullshit  (Read 2367 times)

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
Re: Slacker Uprising vs. Willpower Bullshit
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »
I think it has to do with human nature.  We all want to be able to have our own identity and culture, so by saying you are a "hardcore" bodybuilder you can identitfy your self with your fellow meatheads.  It is just like emo kids, goths, frat boys, etc.

By using the tag line hardcore it makes the insecure bodybuilder fee like he "belongs" to a group.  Lets face it, in all honesty, most people start lifting weights because of feeling of inadaquicy.  They want to get big to get the girl, or beat up the bully, or make the team, etc.  

Fortunately bodybuilding can boost your confidence and make you a better person, unlike, say being a gay crying emo kid.

Well done....  Well done..

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
i would say it takes more discipline, yes. not as much as some guys think... a skinny natural bb'er takes alot of dedication to stay in good shape.. but once you get some muscle it takes a lot less willpower to stay in sshape.. but training and eating enough and all that.. yeah.. takes willpower and dedication.

Tell that to an Ethiopian. What's next, willpower and dedication for pooping?

;D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
I think the only thing that makes one a better person is loss of ego. If that's accomplished through bodybuilding is questionable.

what successful person doesn't have an ego?

E
E

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
Tell that to an Ethiopian. What's next, willpower and dedication for pooping?

;D
youve never tried to eat 400+ carbs 400+protein  for weeks on end... try it out... yeah you can eat junk on top of it, if your still hungry, ... but just see how long you can eat that much 'clean food' on a daily basis..

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
Why is it that bodybuilding is always associated with willpower?
And how you must be so "hardcore" to perfom a high intensity workout few times a week.
Working out is a lot of fun, but it's about the least "hardcore" sport there is.
Much less taxing than any endurance sport.
The only reason why I stick to it is because it's so fun and easy to do.
Same goes for dieting, if you do it the slacker way.

Discuss.

Edurance running like Marathons should be banned.  I have read studies from years ago (forgot who did them) that Marathon runners had the lowest sperm counts of all sports (and yes they included bodybulding as a sport). Also most men have a skinny fat look, and so do the women. Anything to the extreme is not healthy, whether it be pro bodybuilding or that Ironman/triathalon. marathon stuff. Moderation is the key.

And when I see Ronnie Coleman's "The Unbelievable" and he says that bodybuilding building is one of the few hardest sports out there ("there are others that are harder" he says, and he played football for Grambling, kinda shows you his thinking as well.

He loves working out, and when one loves to do something they have more intensity than the person who doesn't. Hence Ronnie lifting all that weight on a regular basis, or Dorian rigor regime as well. That in itself is the reason why they were MR. O multiple times, they weren't slackers. You see it in all MR. O's and ( in many runner ups as well).

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »
youve never tried to eat 400+ carbs 400+protein  for weeks on end... try it out... yeah you can eat junk on top of it, if your still hungry, ... but just see how long you can eat that much 'clean food' on a daily basis..

How do you know what I have and what I haven't tried?
It's a pain in the ass to prepare all that food and to eat it, especially if it tastes like crap, no doubt.

But there's feats in this world which require a thousand times more willpower and dedication.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »
How do you know what I have and what I haven't tried?
It's a pain in the ass to prepare all that food and to eat it, especially if it tastes like crap, no doubt.

But there's feats in this world which require a thousand times more willpower and dedication.
Well if you have, then I apologize.  But if you have, then you would understand eating large amounts of bodybuilding carbs and proteins day in day out for what seems to be an eternity, does take some effort. effort other tasks do not require.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »
what successful person doesn't have an ego?
E

Depends on your definition of success.
I know rich people with a very controlled ego and poor people with a huge, uncontrolled ego.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
I consider myself somewhat of a slacker just because I know I have amazing genes

I do push myself but I know that I have good genes therefore I really don't have to "kill myself" like alot of other people

actually, there is one aspect that I actually work at and that is "bulking"

that is when i have to do that thing where i have to wake up at 3am just to take a protein shake (amongst other things)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »
Well if you have, then I apologize.  But if you have, then you would understand eating large amounts of bodybuilding carbs and proteins day in day out for what seems to be an eternity, does take some effort. effort other tasks do not require.

No need to apologize. As I said, I agree that it's a pain in the ass.
But in the face of starvation in other countries, it's a bit of a stretch to claim eating requires enormous willpower.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
Depends on your definition of success.
I know rich people with a very controlled ego and poor people with a huge, uncontrolled ego.

trust me these rich people have egos, they just know how to hide it to be more likable to the average person

rich people are often quite socially intelligent ;)

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
Edurance running like Marathons should be banned.  I have read studies from years ago (forgot who did them) that Marathon runners had the lowest sperm counts of all sports (and yes they included bodybulding as a sport). Also most men have a skinny fat look, and so do the women. Anything to the extreme is not healthy, whether it be pro bodybuilding or that Ironman/triathalon. marathon stuff. Moderation is the key.

And when I see Ronnie Coleman's "The Unbelievable" and he says that bodybuilding building is one of the few hardest sports out there ("there are others that are harder" he says, and he played football for Grambling, kinda shows you his thinking as well.

He loves working out, and when one loves to do something they have more intensity than the person who doesn't. Hence Ronnie lifting all that weight on a regular basis, or Dorian rigor regime as well. That in itself is the reason why they were MR. O multiple times, they weren't slackers. You see it in all MR. O's and ( in many runner ups as well).

good post and one of the yahoo headlines last night was a 50 year old man dropping dead after the NYC marathon

E
E

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
I consider myself somewhat of a slacker just because I know I have amazing genes
no you dont.. you weigh like 150... not hating bro but reality is anybody can look like you if they train and eat like you... your low body fat gives the illusion of muscle..

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »

I do push myself but I know that I have good genes therefore I really don't have to "kill myself" like alot of other people

actually, there is one aspect that I actually work at and that is "bulking"

that is when i have to do that thing where i have to wake up at 3am just to take a protein shake (amongst other things)

johnnynoname, do you realize that you, according to your avatar statement are infact 1.5 people???  Amazing indeed!

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »
trust me these rich people have egos, they just know how to hide it to be more likable to the average person
rich people are often quite socially intelligent ;)
E

True for most of them, no doubt. However, ego always shows eventually.
I'm not judging anybody, we all have huge egos.
IMO it's more about recognizing it, you can't fight it anyway.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
no you dont.. you weigh like 150... not hating bro but reality is anybody can look like you if they train and eat like you... your low body fat gives the illusion of muscle..

no..i really do got good genes

my dad was built like marco ruas when he was my age and he ate like shit and did nothing but lug around concrete and cement mix. Never dieted or lifted a weight

he was a real man.

I'll say this, I have good "lean" genetics (for what that's worth)- i've never had to diet to for the purpose of getting lean if that makes things clearer

btw, 165 lbs I weigh..however, i probably get down to 155-150, if i hit the sauna and "cut" weight

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
johnnynoname, do you realize that you, according to your avatar statement are infact 1.5 people???  Amazing indeed!

lol...that's part of the joke...i think your the first one to notice it

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

No offense tbombz but if you have never dieted down as a 100% natty to the condition he is in right now, you don't know how you would look like and how much you would weigh.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
the amount of muscle thickness and development on you , johnny, is not an amount that would require effort to sustain while dieting down.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
no..i really do got good genes

my dad was built like marco ruas when he was my age and he ate like shit and did nothing but lug around concrete and cement mix. Never dieted or lifted a weight

he was a real man.

I'll say this, I have good "lean" genetics (for what that's worth)- i've never had to diet to for the purpose of getting lean if that makes things clearer

btw, 165 lbs I weigh..however, i probably get down to 155-150, if i hit the sauna and "cut" weight

No offense johnny but you are somewhat of a "permaleaner".  You dont have much choice in the matter.  Try to get BIG and I bet you will have your work cut out for you....  No flamming here JMO...

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »
No offense johnny but you are somewhat of a "permaleaner".  You dont have much choice in the matter.  Try to get BIG and I bet you will have your work cut out for you....  No flamming here JMO...

no offense taken

I'm actually bulking up now and doing it "the lee priest" way and I'm actually getting good results.

the thing with my genes is that the concept of "lean bulking" WILL NOT WORK
I have to just take in tons of calories- funny thing (or not that funny actually) is I'm still maintaining "aesthetics".  Btw, I'm not delusional thinking I'm Mr. aesthetics like some people on this forum, so when i refer to "aesthetics", I am referring to relative aesthetics.

io856

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
try 15% above your caloric expenditure

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »

Have you ever dieted down to under 8%?

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
no offense taken

I'm actually bulking up now and doing it "the lee priest" way and I'm actually getting good results.

the thing with my genes is that the concept of "lean bulking" WILL NOT WORK
I have to just take in tons of calories- funny thing (or not that funny actually) is I'm still maintaining "aesthetics".  Btw, I'm not delusional thinking I'm Mr. aesthetics like some people on this forum, so when i refer to "aesthetics", I am referring to relative aesthetics.

Just eat!  Im a bit fatter than I should be but oh well.  At least Im fat and happy!  I cant completly get rid of my ego and the extra calories help with keeping the strength up...

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
Have you ever dieted down to under 8%?

Wave,
  Are you asking me?

Bwahahahaahahahahahahaha hahahahaahahahahahahahah ahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...aah choking haha ahaha ah haaaaaaaa...  uh, no...