Author Topic: 2 Different Weights for Chest Presses?  (Read 4846 times)

staystrong

• Getbig II
2 Different Weights for Chest Presses?
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
I've seen a trainer at my gym have his female clients press differently weighted dumbells at the same time.  Like a 20 pound dumbell in one hand and a 25 pound dumbell in the other hand pressing them at the same time.  Is this type of thing normal? I've seen him do it with different clients.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: 2 Different Weights for Chest Presses?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
most trainers are idiots.

id say this one fits into that category quite nicely :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:41 AM »
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard!   :D

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56:37 PM »
Yeah sounds like a way to get hurt.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
The dominant arm usually has more muscle density. Maybe he was trying to add stress to the weaker pec. I wouldn't try it but do get the general idea. :)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 07:02:18 AM »
Yeah sounds like a way to get hurt.

Thats a very, very good way to get hurt--not just the pectoral tendons, but also by falling off the bench or dropping the dumbells.  That trainer should not be allowed to train anymore.  He's obviously stupid. 

I wish trainers like that would make the mistake of getting a female cleint who really knows what she's doing and then she'd rip him a new asshole the size of Texas for being an idiot.  And then if he insisted, fall off the bench and threaten a lawsuit for her injuries.   

What  I want to know is what dumbass taught this dumbass that?  And why only women? 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »
Thats a very, very good way to get hurt--not just the pectoral tendons, but also by falling off the bench or dropping the dumbells.  That trainer should not be allowed to train anymore.  He's obviously stupid. 

I wish trainers like that would make the mistake of getting a female cleint who really knows what she's doing and then she'd rip him a new asshole the size of Texas for being an idiot.  And then if he insisted, fall off the bench and threaten a lawsuit for her injuries.   

What  I want to know is what dumbass taught this dumbass that?  And why only women? 

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but 5lbs difference between dumbbells might not pose a huge injury risk. I'm not curious enough to do it on purpose but have stupidly grabbed mismatched dumbbells at least once with no ill effects except feeling really stupid, LOL!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but 5lbs difference between dumbbells might not pose a huge injury risk. I'm not curious enough to do it on purpose but have stupidly grabbed mismatched dumbbells at least once with no ill effects except feeling really stupid, LOL!
You have to think relative strength of the person lifting weights.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
You have to think relative strength of the person lifting weights.   

Good point.

I'm torn on trainers. Most of the time I've seen someone with a trainer they were either doing silly looking exercises or it looked like they were paying someone to be a friend and count reps. Not certain if taking a weekend or on-line course really qualifies someone as a serious trainer.

On the other hand, almost no one is willing to pay what someone with a MA or PhD in exercise physiology would legitimately be worth for sessions. I'm just using degrees as an example and don't believe someone has to be degreed for the purposes of training individuals.

staystrong

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »

He had them lying on an exercise ball :-\