Author Topic: tension  (Read 1472 times)

heretostay13

• Getbig II
tension
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:26:14 PM »
Wondering what any of you think of tension training. I'm an avid reader of elitefts.com and there has been a program that Dave Tate tried out and has listed on the website. Basically movements for time (30-40 seconds) where 8-10 reps are performed over that period of time (2 sec eccentric, 1 sec concentric). I know there is some school of thought that hypertrophy occurs in this time range, but just wondering what you guys thought? I'm trying it out for a month and seeing where it takes me. So far I'm sore, so I suppose something is working.

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: tension
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:53:57 AM »
dont listen to that musclebear.

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 06:50:41 AM »
I think there is enough literature and research on the subject for me to agree that it works but I'm old school. I'm use to lifting weights the way I've been doing it for the past 20+ yrs.  I'm a recreational lifter and I enjoy what I'm doing. I'm not ready to change it up right now.  If you're looking for a different means to induce hypertrophy, especially if you've been doing the same style lifting for a while, I think you will probably have success using this method. Just my 2 cents.

Pat

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »

The TUT factor (Time Under Tension) has been very successful for many BB'ers. This is where there is more of a middle range, rather than a full ROM, when doing reps. Neither a complete starting or contracted position when doing any exercise. For example, when doing BB curls you will work the mid range of the biceps only. A moderate weight is used, with a faster rep pace. If anyone gets to see a true video of how the Pro's train(or in person) you might notice them doing this style all the time. From mid range inclines, leg presses, rows, etc. Idea is to keep the tension on the working muscle at all times doing the set. Will also get an outstanding pump. Good Luck.
F

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »

The TUT factor (Time Under Tension) has been very successful for many BB'ers. This is where there is more of a middle range, rather than a full ROM, when doing reps. Neither a complete starting or contracted position when doing any exercise. For example, when doing BB curls you will work the mid range of the biceps only. A moderate weight is used, with a faster rep pace. If anyone gets to see a true video of how the Pro's train(or in person) you might notice them doing this style all the time. From mid range inclines, leg presses, rows, etc. Idea is to keep the tension on the working muscle at all times doing the set. Will also get an outstanding pump. Good Luck.

Yeah, I've seen it on many occasions but I never could really get into it.  I can understand the principles behind it but I guess I's stuck in my ways. I kind of feel like I'm cheating on a lot of exercises when using this technique.  Obviously it must work for some. 

Pat

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
Sounds like a variation on repeated effort training that Louie mentions on the westside barbell website.  Instead of going for reps, he would just do one rep every 6-10 seconds for an exercise and try to go for a certain time, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, whatever.  I've never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work for hypertrophy.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:10:13 PM »
That would be another version of the old Rest-Pause system. Usually a pause of between 10 to 15 seconds between reps. A very effective way to increase a sticking point in the BP for example. Also suited for building muscle size and strength. The work load on any muscle area is greatly increased than if just using the regular rest scheme without a  slight break between reps.

If your stuck at 300lbs for 3 reps in the BP, try taking that 10-15 second pause and see how many more reps you can get out of that 300. Probably at least 4 or 5 more. That extended work load on the body is geared for mass and strength. Can use a stopwatch or have a training Bud call out the time for you every 10 to 15 seconds. Or which ever time pause works best for you

300lbX3 is 900lbs pushed for a single set. 300lbX8, with the R-P system, is 2400lbs push in that same set. Quite a few Pl'ers and Olympic lifters are concerned with the total tonnage lifted in every training session. That is one way to judge their progress. Weight X reps= tonnage moved during a training day. BB'ers should be concerned with weight X reps X time= tonnage. Good luck.

F

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »
2 secs/1 sec seems like an everage pace for most people, so I'm not sure of the difference with this routine?  I do occasionally slow things down, but I tend to go for about 5 secs/3 secs.  I haven't noticed any significant gains, but it always made me sore, and was a nice change for a while.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Tried a variation of Rest Pause with High Volume training (I'm a quick recoverer, so that's the only reason I tried that variation) with some quick success then plateauing again. Never really could get myself into a full rest pause swing. I'm familiar also with the rest pause/hypertrophy program that Louie talked about in a couple of his articles and kind of figured some of Tate's program followed some of the same principles. I'm actually using a 3 second negative now and a 1 second positive. This is the way I tweaked it for myself.
Week 1: 3x10 (3 second negative, 1 second positive on each set) 1x30 second blast set with normal pace: 1 second negative, 1 second positive for as many reps in 30 secs as possible)

Week 2: 3x11 (3 second negative, 1 second positive on each set) 1x35 second blast set with normal pace: 1 second negative, 1 second positive for as many reps in 35 seconds as possible)

Week 3: 3x12 (3 second negative, 1 second positive on each set) 1x40 second blast set with normal pace: 1 second negative, 1 second positive for as many reps in 40 seconds as possible)

Weeks 4-6: Repeat Weeks 1-3 just increase the weight

It looks/sounds complicated but in practice it isn't. I figure I'm still adhering to the principle of TUT with a twist. It's not as if what I've been doing hasn't really worked. Everything has worked to a degree, but I guess I'm just looking for a change in approach for 2 months to see how this effects me in terms of muscle mass.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »
It's one of several elements that's considered important for growth, so it makes sense to incorporate it at least part of the time.

I'm big on partials over full ROM, partially due to TUT as well as other factors.