Author Topic: Does the Bible condone slavery?  (Read 28469 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Does the Bible condone slavery?
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:25 PM »
You guys are using a toned-down translation.

If memory serves the original refers to the woman as a "concubine"; and she is "offered over" then raped by the Benjamites, and the Levite man is later referenced as her "master" not her "husband".

You'll notice that the word "concubine" has survived in some instances... the other mistranslations are examples of touchy-feely apologist redactions.

Wrong again, Luke. The version I used was the NASB, when I printed the verses from Judges 20, which read like:

Then all the sons of Israel from Dan to Beersheba, including the land of Gilead, came out, and the congregation assembled as one man to the LORD at Mizpah. The chiefs of all the people, even of all the tribes of Israel, took their stand in the assembly of the people of God, 400,000 foot soldiers who drew the sword.  (Now the sons of Benjamin heard that the sons of Israel had gone up to Mizpah.) And the sons of Israel said, "Tell us, how did this wickedness take place?" So the Levite, the husband of the woman who was murdered, answered and said, "I came with my concubine to spend the night at Gibeah which belongs to Benjamin. 

But the men of Gibeah rose up against me and surrounded the house at night because of me. They intended to kill me; instead, they ravished my concubine so that she died. And I took hold of my concubine and cut her in pieces and sent her throughout the land of Israel's inheritance; for they have committed a lewd and disgraceful act in Israel. 

There's no lack of use of the word, "concubine". Furthermore, The Levite man is addressed as BOTH her master and her husband, in chapters 19 and 20 And that's the case in the KJV, NKJV, NIV, and the NASB, even the NLT. So, what are the "touchy-feely apologist redactions", again?

Just as:

"I am a jealous god. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

...became...

"I am the Lord, thy god. You shall worship no other god but me."

...chronic revisionist trouble shooting.

And, where does this happen again?

Ex. 20:3 (KJV)

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Ex. 20:3 (NIV)

You shall have no other gods before me

Ex. 20:3 (NASB)

You shall have no other gods before Me.

The fact that the fundies find their supposedly loving God's demand to kill infant children acceptable is pretty frightening. The fact that they defend and rationalise such genocide is reprehensible and intellectually dishonest.

No toddler should have their head staved in by a sword wielding man because the childs parents practice human sacrifice, or worship baal rather than Yahweh... killing the enemies children as a war policy is genocide.

Genocide... plain... simple... and indefensible.

The Luke

No more frightening than people who condone abortion (especially partial-birth abortion), to get out of raising a child, conceived 90% of the time via fornication.

Or no more frightening than people who think Down's syndrome babies should get axed in the womb, because raising one would be too hard.

Or no more indefensible than someone who think lying for political expedience is good, as long as that deception is about one's reported Christian faith.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »

No more frightening than people who condone abortion (especially partial-birth abortion), to get out of raising a child, conceived 90% of the time via fornication.

Or no more frightening than people who think Down's syndrome babies should get axed in the womb, because raising one would be too hard.

Or no more indefensible than someone who think lying for political expedience is good, as long as that deception is about one's reported Christian faith.

really? you just compared lying to the slaughter of innocent children for no reason. Abortion saves suffering in instances, and most of the time the organism is not alive, it is no more a atrocity to masturbate then to abort a one month old fetus. Down syndrome children suffer tremendously of complications and often die of cancer at an early age. I to think it is wrong, but it is not reckless murder like described in the bible, nor is it from an all loving being. Humans are fallible, god is not suppose to be.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »
really? you just compared lying to the slaughter of innocent children for no reason. Abortion saves suffering in instances, and most of the time the organism is not alive, it is no more a atrocity to masturbate then to abort a one month old fetus. Down syndrome children suffer tremendously of complications and often die of cancer at an early age. I to think it is wrong, but it is not reckless murder like described in the bible, nor is it from an all loving being. Humans are fallible, god is not suppose to be.

You JUST JUSTIFIED baby-killing, by referring to the unborn child as an "organism", instead of a baby. Ultrasound can easily show just how alive the baby is, which is probably why so many abortion advocates CRY about ultrasound being used, prior to an abortion. Why? Could it be that, if a woman see her baby as just that, instead of just an "organism", she'll have second thoughts about having it hacked to bits or charred with a saline solution?

A one-month-old fetus has fingers, toes, and brainwaves, as shown by scientific research (that would be the thing many atheists claim that Christians oppose). Yet, few refer to this, when it comes to the abortion issue.

As for the "loving being" issue, the OT chronicles the lives of a people, who came into existence, because this loving being blessed a barren woman with a child, who would end up being a patriarch. A loving being who save the lives of widows and prostitutes. This loving being, however, is also a just being and as the saying goes, "As a man sows, that shall he also reap". Or, to reference one of the commandments, God punishes those to defy Him and harm His people, to the third and fourth generation.

God blesses collectively and He curses collectively. And, that applies to children, too. They are blessed by their parents' actions and they are also cursed by their parents' actions.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
You JUST JUSTIFIED baby-killing, by referring to the unborn child as an "organism", instead of a baby. Ultrasound can easily show just how alive the baby is, which is probably why so many abortion advocates CRY about ultrasound being used, prior to an abortion. Why? Could it be that, if a woman see her baby as just that, instead of just an "organism", she'll have second thoughts about having it hacked to bits or charred with a saline solution?

A one-month-old fetus has fingers, toes, and brainwaves, as shown by scientific research (that would be the thing many atheists claim that Christians oppose). Yet, few refer to this, when it comes to the abortion issue.

As for the "loving being" issue, the OT chronicles the lives of a people, who came into existence, because this loving being blessed a barren woman with a child, who would end up being a patriarch. A loving being who save the lives of widows and prostitutes. This loving being, however, is also a just being and as the saying goes, "As a man sows, that shall he also reap". Or, to reference one of the commandments, God punishes those to defy Him and harm His people, to the third and fourth generation.

God blesses collectively and He curses collectively. And, that applies to children, too. They are blessed by their parents' actions and they are also cursed by their parents' actions.

Never heard that before.  I would think the majority of abortion advocates wouldn't themselves go through with an abortion. 

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

...then he fails the moral standard we should require of a god.

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »

...then he fails the moral standard we should require of a god.

The Luke

And what moral standard would that be?

God doesn't fail man's moral standard, for one simple reason: He's the Creator; man is the created.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »
God doesn't fail man's moral standard, for one simple reason: He's the Creator; man is the created.

...if he condones the murder of his enemies innocent children, then he better not send Jesus back during my lifetime.

I'll kill that self-righteous zombie myself.

The Luke

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »
McWay, Loco,   Luke opened that can of worms  lol   :)

Amalikites (sp?)  here we go!   lol

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

wrong it is not a living organism or it wouldnt depend on maternal nutrition and blood supply. It is a parasitic organism by definition at that stage, taking from the host and offering nothing back as of yet.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:31 AM »
...if he condones the murder of his enemies innocent children, then he better not send Jesus back during my lifetime.

I'll kill that self-righteous zombie myself.

The Luke

If Jesus comes back during your lifetime, the LAST THING that's going to be on your mind is what you're going to do to Him. On the contrary, your top priority will be what's going to happen to YOU.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 09:03:40 AM »
McWay, Loco,   Luke opened that can of worms  lol   :)

Amalikites (sp?)  here we go!   lol

Yes, if The Luke would simply use the Search option on the board, he would find our multiple, long threads where we have beat that dead horse many times.

But like I said on an earlier post, The Luke failed to substantiate his claim that Hebrew men in the Bible raped their female slaves and God was okay with it, so he changed the subject to this as a cop out.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
If Jesus comes back during your lifetime, the LAST THING that's going to be on your mind is what you're going to do to Him. On the contrary, your top priority will be what's going to happen to YOU.

...the score so far:

Jesus: nil
Reality: 1

Besides, I'd rather go to Hell... after all Jesus will be there.

The Luke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
Yes, if The Luke would simply use the Search option on the board, he would find our multiple, long threads where we have beat that dead horse many times.

But like I said on an earlier post, The Luke failed to substantiate his claim that Hebrew men in the Bible raped their female slaves and God was okay with it, so he changed the subject to this as a cop out.

What else is new?

Not only was God not cool with that happening, but (as shown earlier), the Israelites themselves were ENRAGED by that heinous crime. They demanded that the Benjamite men responsible for raping that woman be handed over to them FOR EXECUTION. When that didn’t occur, a war between Israel and Benjamin ensure, costing thousands of lives.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

Are you admitting to the slavery? Isn't it "indentured servitude"?

..."go into your wife's handmaid" anyone?

God doesn't need to ask the handmaid's permission?

You guys are so blinkered... Lott offers his wife and daughters up that they might be "used" rather than having the people of Sodom and Gomorrah rape the Angels visiting his household. Don't the wife and daughters get a vote? Can't the Angel of Death fend for himself?

The Bible is a product of its time... women have no say... women are property... and women slaves are sexual playthings... there are so many examples of this kind of thing in the Bible (many have been raised here) that you guys would be copy-and-pasting flimsy apologist articles and searching for nicer alternate translations till Judgment Day.

The real questions are:

-Why isn't there a prohibition against slavery in the ten commandments? Even Jesus didn't speak out against slavery.

-Why isn't there a commandment prohibiting torture?

-Why isn't there a commandment prohibiting rape?

...don't slavery; torture and rape rank above swearing? ("Lord's name in vain")

Why is a Bigfoot-hunting loser living in Ireland a better more moral authority than your all powerful storm god? Why do you guys feel the need to circle jerk when you don't address the issues you can't defend?

The Luke

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

You guys are so blinkered... Lott offers his wife and daughters up that they might be "used" rather than having the people of Sodom and Gomorrah rape the Angels visiting his household. Don't the wife and daughters get a vote? Can't the Angel of Death fend for himself?

Where in the Bible does it say that Lot's judgment or his decision was good or Godly?  And what does Lot's wife and daughters have to do with slavery, or your claim that the Bible condones Hebrew men raping their female slaves?

The Bible is a product of its time... women have no say... women are property... and women slaves are sexual playthings... there are so many examples of this kind of thing in the Bible (many have been raised here) that you guys would be copy-and-pasting flimsy apologist articles and searching for nicer alternate translations till Judgment Day.

Oh yeah?

Judges 4:4-5
Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time. 5 She held court under the Palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites came to her to have their disputes decided.

You have yet to list one example where God condones Hebrew men raping their female slaves.  You just keep on changing the subject.

The real questions are:

-Why isn't there a prohibition against slavery in the ten commandments? Even Jesus didn't speak out against slavery.

Why is a Bigfoot-hunting loser living in Ireland a better more moral authority than your all powerful storm god? Why do you guys feel the need to circle jerk when you don't address the issues you can't defend?

The Luke

1 Corinthians 7:21
Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so.

1 Corinthians 7:23
You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Colossians 3:11
Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

1 Timothy 1:9-11
We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

Philemon 1:15-16
Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good— 16no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »

Ummmm.......you are referring to scenario with Abraham and Sarah, one to produce an heir for Abe, since they were TOO IMPATIENT to wait on God to deliver His promise. To top it all off, this was actually SARAH'S idea; and we have no indication that Hagar objected to her mistress' plan. To the contrary, Hagar was actually gloating that she could have children and Sarah could not, hence starting the beef between the two.

Would you like some Grey Poupon with those toes of yours?

One, he didn't offer his wife.

Two, Lot's act was one of cowardice.

And, three, (the part you missed most of all, in your haste to run your mouth), the angles who visit Lot end up BLINDING the would-be rapists and scattering them, leaving Lot and family unharmed.

What we have is many examples of your having little clue about what you speak. Again, you forget that the men who raped and killed that concubine were sought out to face the DEATH penalty for their crimes. Women weren't property or sexual playthings; in fact, they were allowed to actually own property (i.e. Naomi, who inherited her husband's estate after her husband and sons died).

The real questions are:

The Luke

Now this is TOO FUNNY, coming from someone who's been ducking questions asked of him on another thread for over TWO WEEKS!!!

What part of rape being a capital offense don't you understand? Of course, that would be covered under the adultery commandment. Not to mention the minor fact that Israel was CONSTANTLY instructed to treat foreigners and servants kindly, as they were constanly reminded of the harsh treatment they received in Egypt. The laws of the Torah are based on the Commandments, boy genius.

But, since you’re so quick to yap about the commandments, perhaps you cite #5, you know, the one that says, “Honor your father AND YOUR MOTHER”. Add to that the fact that women, along with their husbands, could defend their daughters' honor, when their names were being slandered by fickle men. So much for "women have no say".

And, what you can't seem to process inside that head of yours is that the "slavery" of OT times was basically of a VOLUNTARY nature, often to keep people from being impoverished or starving to death. It was NOT chattel slavery, in which people (based on race/ethnicity) were kidnapped from a foreign land (another capital offense) and subjected to lifetime enslavement against their will, with no rights or privileges, whatsoever.

Come back when you actually get a clue!!!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »
Ummmm.......you are referring to scenario with Abraham and Sarah, one to produce an heir for Abe, since they were TOO IMPATIENT to wait on God to deliver His promise. To top it all off, this was actually SARAH'S idea; and we have no indication that Hagar objected to her mistress' plan. To the contrary, Hagar was actually gloating that she could have children and Sarah could not, hence starting the beef between the two.

What?  Is The Luke now claiming that Abraham raped his wife's female slave?  Not only is what MCWAY say above true, but also Abraham married Hagar, the slave:

Genesis 16:3
So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
What?  Is The Luke now claiming that Abraham raped his wife's female slave?  Not only is what MCWAY say above true, but also Abraham married Hagar, the slave:

So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian maidservant Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife.

Didn’t Luke say something about non-Hebrews slaves not being able to flee from their masters, lest they face death?

I guess, in his haste, he forgot to mention that a pregnant and non-Hebrew (Egyptian) Hagar ran off, once the tension between the two reached a fever pitch. She later returned, under God’s instruction, “ Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority” and was promised that her son would also be the father of a great nation.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »

She later returned, under God’s instruction, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority”.

...sounds like chattel slavery to me.

On a more serious note... I have actually made a mistake here, I was under the impression that the command to sleep with his wifes handmaid was a direct edict from the tin-pot god Yahweh himself.

My mistuke... I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage here not being fully conversant with the text.

I've actually made a couple of these mistakes (in the "Anything original in the Jesus story" discussion I erroneously conflated Jason of Argonaut fame with Perseus of Gorgon fame), seems I can't just rely on my memory to stir shit on these threads if everyone else is double checking facts and copy and pasting from a plethora of apologist websites.

I'm unexpectedly busy at the moment... so I'll come back tomorrow with an end-of-thread pwning for the fundies (sourced and referenced); if that actually does manage to stump them, then I'll expend more effort sourcing and referencing a further pwning in the "Anything original in the Jesus story" thread (The Sermon on the Mount is up for discussion).

If such efforts are simply dismissed, I won't bother.

So stay tuned readers.

Fundies, you have been warned, signing off...

The Luke

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »
this should be good  8) ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »
this should be good  8) ;D

That would be a first!   :-\

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2008, 04:47:52 AM »
...sounds like chattel slavery to me.

Then, you should invest in some Q-Tips. Notice that Sarah and Abraham don’t run off or send any authorities to go after Hagar. Nor is there any record of any harsh punishment for her fleeing.

Most importantly of all, a chattel slave certainly wouldn’t return, with the promise that her son would be the father of a great nation.

On a more serious note... I have actually made a mistake here, I was under the impression that the command to sleep with his wifes handmaid was a direct edict from the tin-pot god Yahweh himself.

My mistuke... I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage here not being fully conversant with the text.

Nothing that a simple read, without being in haste, can't fix.

I've actually made a couple of these mistakes (in the "Anything original in the Jesus story" discussion I erroneously conflated Jason of Argonaut fame with Perseus of Gorgon fame), seems I can't just rely on my memory to stir shit on these threads if everyone else is double checking facts and copy and pasting from a plethora of apologist websites.

I'm unexpectedly busy at the moment... so I'll come back tomorrow with an end-of-thread pwning for the fundies (sourced and referenced); if that actually does manage to stump them, then I'll expend more effort sourcing and referencing a further pwning in the "Anything original in the Jesus story" thread (The Sermon on the Mount is up for discussion).

If such efforts are simply dismissed, I won't bother.

So stay tuned readers.

Fundies, you have been warned, signing off...

The Luke

PLEASE!!!! You've been asked to produce some specific references to support claims you've made for over two weeks now.  Yet, all you've done is come up with a whirlwind of excuses. Now, we're supposed to believe that you've suddenly been swamped with so many tasks that you can't produce what you claim to be fact.

Last time, you were supposed to address Loco's question, after you finished training. Either, you have a 13-hour training session; or, this is simply more excuse-making on your part.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
That would be a first!   :-\

Its been good up to this point ON BOTH SIDES.   Unfortunately, both sides seem to be using more debate tactics then actually getting down to the facts. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2008, 07:12:34 AM »
Its been good up to this point ON BOTH SIDES.   Unfortunately, both sides seem to be using more debate tactics then actually getting down to the facts. 

Like what, for example?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »
Fucking hell...why is this shit still going on?
I hate the State.