Author Topic: healthy food  (Read 3290 times)

newmom

Re: healthy food
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »
Having a 3 year old, I do try and stay away from processed chicken nuggets and stuff, yes its hard after a long day at work, sometimes its easy to pop them in the microwave.

I have found some recipes to make low fat chicken nuggets and made them for her last night and she loved them. Im lucky, she loves salad and veggies (carrots and cucumbers are her favorite). I dont want her to have weight issues. I dont really let her snack on weekends (at school they get snacks). For example today, she has pb and jelly on one slice of whole grain bread. Low sugar applesauce, water and cucumbers (no dressing). Tonight she will have some green beans and whole wheat spaghetti. Sure sometimes she gets  chips in her lunch and after her karate class on Fridays I take her McDonalds, but last week she wanted the apple and grape salad from there with french fries. As long as in moderation its fine. The only thing I need to be careful of is when she is eating chips or crackers she asks if I want some and I say no, she goes because they will make you fat huh mom. I dont want to overdue it because it may bite me in the but and she may become an overeater. But she sees me  eating salad and stuff. She likes her grilled chicken plain. I consider that healthy.

So to answer your question

Whole grain breads and wheat pasta
Chicken breasts
Chopped steak (she loves it)
ground turkey (it doesnt agree with her)
fruits and veggies
tuna

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »
i wouldnt call these foods healthy

WTF? Are you mad?!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:03 PM »
WTF? Are you mad?!!
grains cereals and low fat milk? no i wouldnt call them 'healthy'

i say this alot to people who ask me for advice on nhutrition.... "there is a difference between good-for-you, and good-for-body-composition."

grains = non essential nutrients (carbs), little to no vitamins minerlas or phytonutrients, and highly acidic. 

cereals = same thing as grains

low fat milk = cows milk is actually an UNHEALTHY thing for humans to drink.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »
When grocery shopping stay along the perimeter of the store, that's where the healthy food is.  Avoid going down the aisles. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »
well what do you consider processed food?

and also..; ive come to a new point of view regarding animal protein.. highly acidic and doesnt contribute much in the way of vitamins minerals antidioxidants phytonutrients... yes it does have amino acids (essentital for life)..but one can get all the amino acids necessary from soy and by combining incomplete proteins found in veggies legumes and nuts..

haha. Soy protein is the worst thing you can put in your body.  You know nothing about nutrition if you think animal protein and sources are the scourge of human health.  Instead of jabbing yourself with hormones you should go to the library and research the native Eskimos and the work of Steffannson.  Research the work of McCarrison on the Hunza river valley.  Both represented extremes of good health and longevity in the early 19th century before civilization encroahed upon their lives.  The Hunza were primarily lacto-vegetarians and the eskimo ate fish and fat, very high fat diet.  The key to nutrition is eating food closest to nature as possible.  Most healthy diets are high in fat soluble vitamins.  And the best source of fat soluble vitamins are animal products i.e. organ meat, milk, eggs, meat.  The Maori, the Polynesians, the indigenous aborigines, the Masai, The Swiss of the Lotschental valley all were some of the healthiest people in the world.  Their diets varied from high carb vegetarian to completely high fat and animal protein.  But they all shared lots of commonalities like fermented, raw food, lots of fat soluble vitamins, rich in nutrients etc. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 07:03:06 AM »

i say this alot to people who ask me for advice on nhutrition.... "there is a difference between good-for-you, and good-for-body-composition."

grains = non essential nutrients (carbs), little to no vitamins minerlas or phytonutrients, and highly acidic. 

You're ignorance is hilarious.  Raw dairy products are some of the most amazing foods you can put in your body.  Cultures across the life span of humanity have relied on raw dairy products for thousands of years.  Pasteurized milk might be health damaging because of the inflammatory response it causes in the body.  But raw milk is amazing food. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 07:17:49 AM »
Starting in January of 1928 under the charge of Dr. Eugene Dubois, and his staff, Vilhjalmur Stefannson and a former explorer/cohort Karsen Anderson checked into the dietectic ward of New York City's Bellevue Hospital to begin the study.  The men underwent a battery of tests and were kept under tight scrutiny.  The whole ordeal was met with much fanfare complete with the press and all the doubting professionals who thought the experiment would not last long at all.  As mentioned, the two men were to eat nothing but meat animal products such as beef, lamb, fish, chicken, liver, brains, and bacon fat.  No fruits, veggies, eggs, or any other dairy products were allowed.  All went well during the year.  Both men exited the 1928 sutdy in excellent shape.  Stefannson in faact had lost an extra 10lbs that he was carrying..  The significant issues here were that neither of them contracted scurvy or had any visible signs of bone deterioration from lack of calcium.  Stefannson wrote extensively in 1935 of the dramatic effects of fresh meat in both preventing and curing scurvy.  He strongly encouraged any men of exploration to either of the poles to rely on fresh, indigenous game for scurvy prevention, rather than relying on stored provisions including bottled lime or lemon juice. 

Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors Volume One. 

You can live off meat and fat.  The same can't be said about soy, vegetables, fruits, or any thing else. If you tried living soley off the latter you'd die.  There isn't any culture in the history of mankind that lived off fruits and vegetables alone.  I.e. without atleast some sort of grain or insects etc.   

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
stay away from dairy fats, deep fired foods and sugar and he should be fine.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
stay away from dairy fats, deep fired foods and sugar and he should be fine.

Dairy fats?  There is no such thing as dairy fats genius.  Dairy fat is saturated fat.  And there is nothing wrong with dairy fats or dairy products in moderation. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
theres no need to come in and attack my thoughts, mcmannus. you have good point about meat and fat. i agree. thats why i have them listed. i disagree with you that fruits and veggies are not healthy foods, just because they dont contain essential macronutrients, dont mean they arent healthy or essential. you wont get the vitamins phytonutrients antidioxidants fiber and alkaline ph  from any better source than fruits and veggies.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
im wondering what people classify as 'healthy food'... and why ?

i dont care to much about my own helth, but i have a nephew and i see what he eats and it bothers me to think at a young age he could be/is damaging his health with the foods he eats... so i started to think of foods to suggest to his mom (my sister [well, sort of half sister but not really too hard to explain LOL])... and i got to thinking what is actually 'healthy'

the first thing i thought of... was a food that is devoid of 'negatives'... a food that doesnt have any thing "unhealthy" about it... \

the next thing i thought of... was a a food that has essential nutrients.. essential fats and essential amino acids

the next thing i thought of...was a food that contained plenty of vitmains minerals antidioxidants and phytonutrients

the next thing i though of... was a food that is alkaline and not acidic

next thing i though of... was a food that is anti inflammatory and not pro inflamatory

the next thing i thought of was fiber

so taking all these into consideration, i came up with a list of foods that i think are rthe only foods that can be qualified as 'healthy'... = vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, soy.

im wondering what people classify as 'healthy food'... and why ?

Foods that promote a healthy bodily state.
S

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »
theres no need to come in and attack my thoughts, mcmannus. you have good point about meat and fat. i agree. thats why i have them listed. i disagree with you that fruits and veggies are not healthy foods, just because they dont contain essential macronutrients, dont mean they arent healthy or essential. you wont get the vitamins phytonutrients antidioxidants fiber and alkaline ph  from any better source than fruits and veggies.

Your thoughts are WRONG and are not nutritional facts.  That's why they are being attacked.  Here you are spewing more garbage.  I never said fruits and veggies are not healthy foods.  But they are NOT NECESSARY to sustain the human body nor a healthy human body at that.  Hence why I posted that study regarding Stefannson.  He lived with traditional eskimos for years.  All he ate was fish and whale fat.  NO FRUITS OR VEGGIES NO DAIRY PRODUCTS.  The eskimo were some of the strongest, happiest, and healthiest people on the planet before civilizations encroached upon their existence.  The human body can live just fine off meat and its necessary fat.  The human body will die if fed only fruits and vegetables.  If you eat lean meat you will die as well.  It's called "rabbit fever".  Native Americans would get sick if they ate too much rabbit meat during winter months which is inherently lean.    

I'm not meaning to be a dick, your head is in the right place but you are very misinformed about real nutrition and the history of nutrition.    

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
well ive already read and already know everything your posting.  :-\  if you read my intial post about why i came to the onclusions i did, then you would understand where im coming from.

the point i made about meats, was that while they contain essential amino acids, they are highly acidic, which effects health negatively. and since all the essential amino acids can be found in other foods, then there was no point in eating meat for HEALTH ONLY, since it has some chaicteristichs which effect health negatively. now, if you read the whole thread, youll see that i made note that the negative health effects of acidic ph can be counteracted with the intake of alkaline foods, like fruits an veggies, and if tha was done, then meats would be added into the healthy food group. but without intake of foods to counteract the negative effect to PH, and combined with the fact that the essential amjino acids could be found elsewhere, then in that specific case i would not personally classify meat as being "healthy"

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
well ive already read and already know everything your posting.  :-\  if you read my intial post about why i came to the onclusions i did, then you would understand where im coming from.

the point i made about meats, was that while they contain essential amino acids, they are highly acidic, which effects health negatively. and since all the essential amino acids can be found in other foods, then there was no point in eating meat for HEALTH ONLY, since it has some chaicteristichs which effect health negatively. now, if you read the whole thread, youll see that i made note that the negative health effects of acidic ph can be counteracted with the intake of alkaline foods, like fruits an veggies, and if tha was done, then meats would be added into the healthy food group. but without intake of foods to counteract the negative effect to PH, and combined with the fact that the essential amjino acids could be found elsewhere, then in that specific case i would not personally classify meat as being "healthy"

LMAO!  Dude I might as well bang my head against the wall arguing with you.  You keep saying the same shit and it's flat out wrong.  Meat per se does not affect health negatively.  That's bullshit.  Did you not see the damn entry that I posted?  You say you know everything that Im saying but you don't.  The eskimos lived entirely off of meat and fat and were the some of the healthiest people in the world.  Lots of indigenous cultures in the past several hundred years have experienced amazing health and longevity with diets varying from entirely meat and dairy products to lacto-vegetarian diets.  Ph is a very small aspect of human nutrition.  You can't eat all alkaline foods and you can't eat all acidic foods.  And not all fruits and vegetables are alkaline.  Some are very acidic and some are very alkaline.  And the acidic fruits and vegetables are not bad for you because they are acidic.  You're right balancing your alkaline with acidic foods is good.  But it's not necessary and to say some foods are bad because they are acidic or alkaline is complete nonsense.  Again there are lots of healthy foods that are considered "acidic". 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
alkaline is healthier than acidic. a diet with meat that isnt countered by alkaline isnt optimal. im talking optimal healthy diet.  if meat is counteracted with alkaline, then it is healthy. 

:)

you just want to argue, and are looking to "own".

however, as you can tell, you cant argue with or "own" me, at leats not when im being serious.

everything you type = i have read before. your just repeating things you have read, but putting them in your own words; well, some things are i our own words, but some are put down word for word by memory.

you stuff is a collection of a bunch of articles supporting zero starch high protein high fat diets. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
alkaline is healthier than acidic. a diet with meat that isnt countered by alkaline isnt optimal. im talking optimal healthy diet.  if meat is counteracted with alkaline, then it is healthy. 

:)

you just want to argue, and are looking to "own".

however, as you can tell, you cant argue with or "own" me, at leats not when im being serious.

everything you type = i have read before. your just repeating things you have read, but putting them in your own words; well, some things are i our own words, but some are put down word for word by memory.

you stuff is a collection of a bunch of articles supporting zero starch high protein high fat diets. 

So all these foods are "bad" for you?

ACIDIFYING VEGETABLES
Corn
Lentils
Olives
Winter Squash

ACIDIFYING FRUITS
Blueberries
Canned or Glazed Fruits
Cranberries
Currants
Plums**
Prunes**

ACIDIFYING GRAINS, GRAIN PRODUCTS
Amaranth
Barley
Bran, wheat
Bran, oat
Corn
Cornstarch
Hemp Seed Flour
Kamut
Oats (rolled)
Oatmeal
Quinoa
Rice (all)
Rice Cakes
Rye
Spelt
Wheat
Wheat Germ
Noodles
Macaroni
Spaghetti
Bread
Crackers, soda
Flour, white
Flour, wheat

ACIDIFYING BEANS & LEGUMES
Black Beans
Chick Peas
Green Peas
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Pinto Beans
Red Beans
Soy Beans
Soy Milk
White Beans
Rice Milk
Almond Milk

ACIDIFYING DAIRY
Butter
Cheese
Cheese, Processed
Ice Cream
Ice Milk

ACIDIFYING NUTS & BUTTERS
Cashews
Legumes
Peanuts
Peanut Butter
Pecans
Tahini
Walnuts

ACIDIFYING ANIMAL PROTEIN
Bacon
Beef
Carp
Clams
Cod
Corned Beef
Fish
Haddock
Lamb
Lobster
Mussels
Organ Meats
Oyster
Pike
Pork
Rabbit
Salmon
Sardines
Sausage
Scallops
Shrimp
Scallops
Shellfish
Tuna
Turkey
Veal
Venison

ACIDIFYING FATS & OILS
Avacado Oil
Butter
Canola Oil
Corn Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Flax Oil
Lard
Olive Oil
Safflower Oil
Sesame Oil
Sunflower Oil

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
Nope. some i wouldnt call "healthy", others i would indeed. theres a difference between "not healthy" and "bad for you".

on a side note, related to the original topic, and i may have posted once before in this thread =
there is a difference between "good for you" and "good for body composition".

Merry christmas Mcmannus.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »

??? ::)
haha oh boy i think in your case the best advice to give to your sister is none at all.