Author Topic: How come no one saw Ronnie Coleman coming?  (Read 14542 times)

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
Re: How come no one saw Ronnie Coleman coming?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 07:14:52 AM »
That's BS. It WAS Flex's show to win. Flex outmuscled Ronnie badly, especially in the arm-shoulder department. But the Weiders wanted an underdog to win, to bring controversity in the game, and that was Colemans luck.

That is crap and you know it. Fact is, Flex showed up in bad shape and really shouldn't have placed as high as he did. Ronnie was on and Flex wasn't, Plain and simple. Flex cried and all that stupid shit but it was his show to lose and he did just that, LOST!.

chester_bbb

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • #1 Shawn Ray fan!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
That's BS. It WAS Flex's show to win. Flex outoiled Ronnie badly, especially in the arm-shoulder department. But the Weiders wanted an underdog to win, to bring controversity in the game, and that was Colemans luck.

Fixed

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »
And Ronnies arms are Real.

Haha yeah, when your only notable bodyparts are fake i.e. delts and arms, you shouldn't win against a guy with better arms and delts that are real!

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
I remember I was in Ft. Lauderdale when I heard the news. It was like Tyson loosing to Douglas. Really shocking news! But Ronnie won fair and square. Was it the year before or that year when Ronnie beat Flex in that Pittsburg show? Anyway I'm glad Flex never won the big show. Met him at my gym in St. Martin. Really wasn't nice.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
Umm, No. Flex never out muscled Ronnie in 98 or afterwards. Flex was a lot bigger in 99 compared to his 98 form (he was 242 lb), but even in 99, he got out-muscled by a much bigger and muscular Ronnie. Ronnie's only flaw in 98 other than the usual calves issue was his gyno. Check out the difference in the torso size and thickness between Ronnie and Flex, as well as the legs. The following year, Ronnie's legs were MUCH bigger (as was his upper body).

Jesus, Ronnie is owning the hell out of Flex. :-X

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
That's BS. It WAS Flex's show to win. Flex outmuscled Ronnie badly, especially in the arm-shoulder department.

You've discredited yourself by bringing up the synthol delts.

As far as shoulder width (and lat width as well) he couldn't compete with Coleman.

As far as arms, they were good but again Coleman had the edge with far greater definition and slightly bigger.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »
Who outmuscles who? :)

You're a wheeler groupie. Wheeler looked great but didn't have Coleman's overall refinement nor his shoulder/lat width or thigh size.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »
You're a wheeler groupie. Wheeler looked great but didn't have Coleman's overall refinement nor his shoulder/lat width or thigh size.

And what's ironic is that he didn't need any of that to beat Ronnie 8 times previously

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Really wasn't nice.

Part of winning the Olympia's personality, even though it's not admitted. Understandable even though it's not supposed to matter. Fox probably should've won in '83, Robinson, a few guys over Yates but being a good rep for the sport's part of it.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
And what's ironic is that he didn't need any of that to beat Ronnie 8 times previously

Totally ludicrous statement.  Comparing someone in their prime to someone who's an up-and-commer is faulty logic at best.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
Totally ludicrous statement.  Comparing someone in their prime to someone who's an up-and-commer is faulty logic at best.

ND = IFBB tool. Nonsensical babbling becomes commonplace. ;)

It's called improvement. Coleman did that, as others have mentioned even if that went over your head. Guys like Yates were rewarded for regressing.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
Part of winning the Olympia's personality, even though it's not admitted. Understandable even though it's not supposed to matter. Fox probably should've won in '83, Robinson, a few guys over Yates but being a good rep for the sport's part of it.

It's called improvement. Coleman did, guys like Yates were rewarded for regressing.

Coleman didn't regress?  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »
Coleman didn't regress?  ::)

ADD, going on tangents. Address your latest faux pas lol

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »

Faulty logic? one Flex wasn't in his prime when he was beating Ronnie , FYI 1993 was Flex's prime and two up-and-comer ? Ronnie was beating Flex by 1996 and then after that they were going tit-for-tat , Ronnie established himself as a winning pro by 1996 , he was no journeyman then

and the point stands , Shawn Ray didn't need to be the widest guy on stage to beat them .

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
ND = IFBB tool. Nonsensical babbling becomes commonplace. ;)

It's called improvement. Coleman did that, as others have mentioned even if that went over your head. Guys like Yates were rewarded for regressing.

You missed the point , Flex didn't have to beat anyone in the size department to score a win , your argument from that standpoint is null and void , Ronnie did improve true however that has nothing to do with Flex being able to beat him despite not being as big as him

and nice job backpeddling Ronnie was rewarded many Olympias for regressing in fact he made a career out of it , the best he ever looked at an Olympia was his first

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »
The minute Ronnie, Dorian, Jay, Flex, etc started regressing they should have lost placings.  Levrone, IMO, got better up until 2000 and never won.  Ronnie should have lost in 2001 and 2002, Dorian in his bloated years (looked good in 95, 96), Flex (since '97?).  The problem is that these guys go too overboard after winning the first O.  The last 3 Mr. O's could have done more for the sport had they not used size as their first priority.
Squishy face retard

prof

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »

Stupid statement.  And this faulty reasoning is why you are wrong about Dorian being better than Ronnie. 

Look at the pictures, Ronnie is clearly better than Flex.   Better detail, more size.   Just look at the legs, or the chest, or any other bodypart for that matter.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
That's BS. It WAS Flex's show to win. Flex outmuscled Ronnie badly, especially in the arm-shoulder department. But the Weiders wanted an underdog to win, to bring controversity in the game, and that was Colemans luck.

I'm no Coleman fan, but I really can't dispute his 1998 win.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
Stupid statement.  And this faulty reasoning is why you are wrong about Dorian being better than Ronnie. 

Look at the pictures, Ronnie is clearly better than Flex.   Better detail, more size.   Just look at the legs, or the chest, or any other bodypart for that matter.

Maybe you're missing the point NO WHERE did I state Flex deserved to win in 1998 , Ronnie was the clear winner HOWEVER he didn't need to be like Ronnie to beat Ronnie

and Dorian had NOTHING to do with this topic you want to get corrected on those points follow me else where  ;)

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

but faulty logic is the only logic that ND knows...

::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
but faulty logic is the only logic that ND knows...

::)

Did Flex beat Ronnie despite NEVER being as big or as wide as he was? yeah I thought so  ;) next 

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 10:19:07 AM »
I saw it coming i had him first when nobody had him top six.......

in 97 i said that if he had calves he would have been top 3 but everybody laughted at me.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
ND can babble all he wants but honestly, outside this board, when have you ever heard of Yates being compared as the greatest bodybuilder of all time?

Answer: Never

Alex23

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »
I saw contest pics of him in the early 90's and thought why isn't this guy winning shows? I swear. I don't m,ean the O but other pro shows. I must have been his only fan. I think later on he ruined his physique.

Ditto. I remember reading MuscleMag circa 1992 when Big Ronnie was simply known as "Ron Coleman"... with a high top and a moustache...

so why wasn't he winning?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »
ND can babble all he wants but honestly, outside this board, when have you ever heard of Yates being compared as the greatest bodybuilder of all time?

Answer: Never

No true , many instances I could post them if you like?