Author Topic: bouncing deadlifts  (Read 3744 times)

Muscleboy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
bouncing deadlifts
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »
Are you suppossed to bounce the weight on deadlifts between reps or bring it to a dead stop.  On colemans video he bounces but on Johnny Jacksons he brings it to a full stop before commencing the next rep?

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
Re: bouncing deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »
I have done both and bouncing just makes it easier. IMO, lift the wight then in control it down. Take a breath and pick it back up. Trust me its much harder! I could get 315 for 15 no problem bouncing but only like 8 when I do each rep controlled.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »
You are not supposed to do it any special way, there are no set rules for anyone. Do it the way that works for you the best. Like any other exercise.

There are rubber rimmed BB plates that can be used for the rebound effect. Best on a platform or reinforced gym floor. The bar will bounce back to about knee level (or more) and the lifter takes it from there. Or some men will used live rubber heavy mats rather than bumpers. Can handle much more weight with either version.

There was the old Hopper DL where the bar was bounced off a couple of extra thick wood planks, no rubber rimmed plates. These were done with higher reps, in the neighborhood of 20 or more. Considered a growing and strength exercise in those days. Very taxing on the body. Making those higher reps will have a person breathing like a steam engine. Some thing akin to a true breathing squat program. Anyway a lot of those old timers got very large and very strong this way. Not to mention large rig boxes and chest. Good Luck.
F

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »

You can do them either way.
But you're supposed to do them from the ground, and from a dead stop using ZERO momentum.
The reason why they're called deadlifts, is because they were originally called "Dead weight lifts."
Meaning, the weight has no movement to it, and should be lifted with no bounce, or any type of help. Just pure strength from the ground to the top of the lift.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
You can do them either way.
But you're supposed to do them from the ground, and from a dead stop using ZERO momentum.
The reason why they're called deadlifts, is because they were originally called "Dead weight lifts."
Meaning, the weight has no movement to it, and should be lifted with no bounce, or any type of help. Just pure strength from the ground to the top of the lift.
Look at the big brain on Brett!!  LOL  :)

What`s up my brother?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »

Shit, my brains showing? Gotta do something about that, quick!!!!!

What's the word Tim? And I'm quizzing you with that question....who did the song and what's the answer to the question!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »
I DON`T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I`m doing good........back on WOTW too.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »

Thunderbird by Red Prysock....

"What's the word?" Thunderbird!!!
"What's the price?" Thirty twice!!!!

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
no bounce.  lift the weight, lower or drop to the floor, repeat

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
bouncing: make the lift easier, more courbature on upper back but less taxing on the cns cos you really lift from the floor once.

no bouncing : harder, less muscle sore but your cns is destroyed.
asstropin

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »
so bouncing is good for bber, and no bouncing is good and usefull for pwer.
asstropin

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
For a second there I though this was "THE" Jon Cole posting. Outstanding PL'er and one of the  most respected coaches in the lifting and rehab game. Guess not.

Still can get equal benefits for BB'ing or going for the power lifting stuff. Think of bouncing DL's somewhat akin to Power Rack pin position training. But with much more of a ballistic approach. With the bar/weight moving freely in space for a brief moment (not from a dead stop) after the bounce off the platform. Bouncing does not make the lift any easier if proper weight is used. Actually it can be a great stamina (strength + endurance) exercise. And was considered a muscle mass builder. After a time guy's will be moving huge weight for higher reps. Almost forcing the body to adapt to more strength and building mass. Like the heavy breathing squat program can do. Good Luck

Side Bar: Use to say that Thunderbird thing in grade school.
             But more like: What's the word? Thunder Bird.
                                 Who Drinks the most? All the folks!

Mixed it with cheap beer, like Brown Derby, and drank it under the railroad bridge. Cheap buzz for little money. All the while smoking. Not recommending this of course. Massive hangover and usually hurling time after for some guy's. That's when I found out the body is not really a temple after all.

F

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 03:06:53 AM »
i'm not the jon cole but i practised a lot of dead, bouncing or not.
asstropin

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:31 AM »
i like doing this way
 :)