Author Topic: 1967 NABBA Mr. Universe: Pearl and Schwarzenegger take the gold!  (Read 29325 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
1967 NABBA Mr. Universe: Pearl and Schwarzenegger take the gold!
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »
Thanks to www.musclememory.com for the write-up. From IronMan: Vol 27, No 1 Page 15. January 1968.

Pearl and Schwarzenegger Win Mr. Universe Titles

By George Greenwood
Editor, Man's World Magazine

THE 19th annual Mr. Universe Contests sponsored by Britain's National Amateur Bodybuilders' Association (NAABA) were staged at London's Victoria Palace Theatre on Saturday, September 23rd.

Nearly 70 of the world's best-built men traveled from various parts of the globe to compete in the amateur and professional classes. Never before was such an array of talent assembled on one stage.

All tickets for the big show were sold out more than two months before the event took place. The theatre was packed to capacity with enthusiasts thronging the gangways. Several hundred optimists, who had hoped to squeeze in, had to be satisfied with listening to the roars of applause as they were unable to gain entry.

As in previous years, the, amateur Mr. Universe Contest was split into three separate classes: class 3 for men up to and including 5'6"; class 2 for men over 5'6" up to 5'9"; class 1 for men over 5'9".

Amateur Class 3 --

Seventeen competitors linde up for the short men's class with representatives from England, St. Lucia, France, Sweden, Singapore, Jamaica, Barbados and Wales. Speculation was rife. Could the current Mr. Britain, Wilfred Sylvester, in superb shape, make it a double? He looked good, in fact, quite fantastic, but was not quite a match for husky John Citrone of England. John at 5'4" has 18" upper arms and a 47" chest with other measurements to match. Very muscular and very strong, he is perhaps one of the most popular bodybuilders in Britain today.

Amateur Class 2 --

This class also had 17 entries with men from Germany, South Africa, Belgium, Spain, Norway, England, Malta, Barbados, Sweden, Holland, Italy and Wales. Muscular sensation, Albert Beccles of Barbados, took first place, with Roy Callandar, also of Barbados, second. Third position went to Arthur Fairhurst of England. Albert Beccles has simply superb definition with upper arms taping 19". His physique resembles that of the great Melvin Wells. A worthy victor indeed!

Amateur Class 1 --

Eleven giants from South Africa, India, England, Jamaica, Scotland, Trinidad, Mexico, Austria and U.S.A. made a spectacle worth traveling a long way to see. Current Mr. America, Dennis Tinerino was a big favourite, but the question was, could he defeat the young Austrian giant, Arnold Schwarzenegger? Arnold, in the best shape of his short but brilliant career, proved too good for everyone. He carried off the Class 1 title and was nominated Amateur Mr. Universe 1967. Just look at his measurements: height 6'2", weight 245, neck 18", waist 32", thigh 27", calf 18½", upper arm 21½ ", chest 57"-age 20! He is doubtless the biggest man in the world of bodybuilding and thoroughly deserves his victory. Tinerino was a good second and with Henry Greaves of Trinidad third.

The Professionals --

Two classes only in this section: class 2 - 5'8" and under, and Class 1 for men over 5'8".

In Class 2 the lineup included champions from France, Italy, Guadeloupe, Norway, and the standard was high. Diminutive Charles Sintat took first prize in this class. He is perhaps the most muscular man in France today. Guiseppe Deiana of Italy was second, with Ludwig Ingebregsten of Norway third.

Professional Class 1 --

Everybody present was waiting to see the mighty Bill Pearl. He did not disappoint, and really looked magnificent as he stood in line with competitors from Germany, England, France and Guadeloupe amongst others. There could be no doubt whatsoever that Pearl was going to win. In marvelous shape, he is rightly regarded as one of the top bodybuilders of the century. Just look at his measurements. Height 5'11", weight 230, neck 18¾", waist 34", thigh 28½", calf 19", upper arm 19½ ", chest 54". Bill is 36, but definitely in best ever condition. He "brought the house down" with his superb display of muscular posing and delighted the audience with his friendly smile. A great champion, a great showman and a professional in the true sense of the word.

Thus ended another great Mr. Universe Show. Show organizer, Oscar Heidenstam, one of the big personalities of the bodybuilding game, is to be congratulated on a faultlessly organized and presented programme, one more success to his long list of achievements.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: 1967 NABBA Mr. Universe: Pearl and Schwarzenegger take the gold!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »
Bill Pearl won the overall professional title for the third time. Arnold won his first overall amateur NABBA Mr. Universe!

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 05:07:52 AM »
I see you've posted some of my previous pics of The Man. Here are some more from that very contest...  8)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
Thanks, Pollux for those great shots!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
Dennis Tinnerino looked great at this show. If Arnold went up against Bill Pearl for an "overall Pro/Am Universe title", who would have won?

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:44:24 AM »
Dennis Tinnerino looked great at this show. If Arnold went up against Bill Pearl for an "overall Pro/Am Universe title", who would have won?

I know I'm Getbig's BIGGEST Arnold guy, but without being biased here, I would still say Arnold.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
What's usually noticable with the early shots is that he's already acquired size beyond most of the othes by an early age, and have good aesthetics and structure. Thus he could already beat most of those guys even then.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
1968 Pro MR UNIVERSE :o

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
1968 Pro MR UNIVERSE :o

ummmm...OK?  ???

This thread is about Arnold's '67 amateur Universe.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
ummmm...OK?  ???

This thread is about Arnold's '67 amateur Universe.
Yeah didn,t see the point of starting a new thread up on the 1968 Universe with this 1 picture, so i put it up in more or less the same time frame.

DCN

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »
It was the 1969 NABBA Universe. Nubret, Tinerino and Arnold were all in the Pro class.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:34 AM »
1968 Universe - Pro - NABBA

Overall Winner Arnold Schwarzenegger 

Tall
1   Arnold Schwarzenegger

2   John Bubb

3   Nicolas Kleber

4   Jacques Louvier

1969 Universe - Pro - NABBA

Overall Winner Arnold Schwarzenegger 

Tall
1   Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Austria)
2   Dennis Tinerino

(United States)
3   Serge Nubret

(France)
4   John Bubb

(England)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
nice thread well done.
F

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
In Coluor :) :) :)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
Some might disagree but in the later years of his career Arnie chest was a little over developed. I prefer his balance when he was younger.
X

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 04:24:38 AM »
Another shot of Bill and Arnold on the day

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »
Some might disagree but in the later years of his career Arnie chest was a little over developed. I prefer his balance when he was younger.
        according to deceased bodybuilder joe meeko. arnold had chest implants as well as calf implants meeko said he knew the doctor who did  it out in callyfonicatita. who knows?
F

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
        according to deceased bodybuilder joe meeko. arnold had chest implants as well as calf implants meeko said he knew the doctor who did  it out in callyfonicatita. who knows?
The chest implants allegation sounds ridiculous the way Arnolds chest split into a MM...lol best "implants" ive seen his calves split alot as well standing on his toes and when he would turn to the side and flexed them, im not the biggest Arnold fan however implants i do not think he had...hard work and alittle help from Weider and co helped push him onwards 

DCN

• Getbig I
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 06:32:06 AM »
From Jan 68, before he went to the US.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 05:10:31 AM »
^ That picture of Arnold has always been Exceptional for such a young age he was @ the time