Author Topic: 8 Times the Man and Still Underrated!  (Read 7267 times)

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
Re: 8 Times the Man and Still Underrated!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »
I agree with you, K, but I think you're overstating how devious Arnold was.  Most of his talk about psyching people out and the like was exaggerated (and sometimes total fantasy), at least in "Pumping Iron."  Aside from that film, there's not much to corroborate the "Arnold, tiny 'tit' game player" persona ;)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
If that trick is included in their battles rule. Its ok.
But, when it comes to BBing, its physic vs physic.
Its not ches or something which include trick.
And, the real competitor should hope to beat his opponent with his all time best ever.
Yes, it is about physiques, but it is also how you present yourself on stage. For example, one guy could be a little bit better than the other guy, but if he has no confidence and no stage presence, he will not project to the judges that he is the winner. If someone can say or do something to exploit his opponent,s lack of confidence, he can get the upper hand. In boxing, the opponents will try to make their opponent lose confidence before getting in the ring. It's that way in many sports. I agree with you Kyomu about  having Honor and fair play, but many will do whatever it takes to win.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
I think Haney would have whooped up on Arnold pretty good.  Progression is natural, Arnold probably wouldn't win a non-tested state show today looked exactly as he did, even in '74.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
I think Haney would have whooped up on Arnold pretty good.  Progression is natural, Arnold probably wouldn't win a non-tested state show today looked exactly as he did, even in '74.

Arnold was a very driven and competitive man.  However, after 1972, with no Sergio around, there was no one imposing to really challenge him.  While Ferrigno was supposed to be the true threat to Arnold's supremacy, he was too young and didn't have the maturity or mental toughness to go head to head with The Oak.  Had a man like Haney come along during Arnold's time, I have no doubt that Arnold would have raised his game and taken on the challenge.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
Arnold was a very driven and competitive man.  However, after 1972, with no Sergio around, there was no one imposing to really challenge him.  While Ferrigno was supposed to be the true threat to Arnold's supremacy, he was too young and didn't have the maturity or mental toughness to go head to head with The Oak.  Had a man like Haney come along during Arnold's time, I have no doubt that Arnold would have raised his game and taken on the challenge.

x2. Arnold just did what was necessary to win, no more. We didnt get to see what Arnold could have got to. But I do think Lee Haney was a great champion, he was a Mr. Olympia that had class and dignity, was well spoken, and really worked hard to get bodybuilding more popular, like Arnold did. To me I think Lee Haney is a much better champion than Ronnie or Dorian ever was.

Onondaga

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
Seems almost strange to hear a well spoken bber nowadays.  Those were the days.

Agreed. Very well spoken and I have yet to see an interview where Haney doesn’t have a smile on his face. The best ambassador this sport has ever had. Compare that to Mr. Os after him from Yates to Jackson; all of those dudes mumble instead of speak and barely crack a grin. Just another reason why bodybuilding dead in the mainstream.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
x2. Arnold just did what was necessary to win, no more. We didnt get to see what Arnold could have got to. But I do think Lee Haney was a great champion, he was a Mr. Olympia that had class and dignity, was well spoken, and really worked hard to get bodybuilding more popular, like Arnold did. To me I think Lee Haney is a much better champion than Ronnie or Dorian ever was.

There are intangibles that make a great champion, that go beyond the physique of the man itself.  In watching Haney's routines, you see a smiling and confident, but not arrogant champion, who has an almost majestic quality as he transitions through his poses.  You can tell by how he presents himself, that he takes the title and the sport itself, very seriously.  His professionalism and preparedness should serve as examples by which excellence is measured.  By comparison, many of the routines presented by very prominent competitors in more recent years, are farcical, if not downright embarrassing.  

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 12:43:07 PM »
I agree with you, K, but I think you're overstating how devious Arnold was.  Most of his talk about psyching people out and the like was exaggerated (and sometimes total fantasy), at least in "Pumping Iron."  Aside from that film, there's not much to corroborate the "Arnold, tiny 'tit' game player" persona ;)
Yeah. But even bit, I didnt wanted him to do it.

In ancient world, good samurai often say in a war field " Stop! I will do him! And nobody but nobody should help me even he kills me.OK!?".
And even that samurai gives his enemy a weapon if he lost it.

Thats the MAN fight. Not girlie at all.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »
Yes, it is about physiques, but it is also how you present yourself on stage. For example, one guy could be a little bit better than the other guy, but if he has no confidence and no stage presence, he will not project to the judges that he is the winner. If someone can say or do something to exploit his opponent,s lack of confidence, he can get the upper hand. In boxing, the opponents will try to make their opponent lose confidence before getting in the ring. It's that way in many sports. I agree with you Kyomu about  having Honor and fair play, but many will do whatever it takes to win.
As you say, psychological fight on stage is OK. But Off the stage, NEVER EVER.
We all compete for ourselves. Those who compete dirty will be sad when he got old and die and he will feel himself as a fake.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
The Awesome One!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »
 :o

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
 :o

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »
 ;)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
;)
Outstanding shots, espeacially that FLS and BDB from 1986 Lee Haney  = great BB Champion and very underated even to this day.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
no gut like Ronnie

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 04:48:07 AM »
It's truly amazing how much bigger Haney's legs are in 91 vs. 84. Even with that said though, Dorian outmuscled Haney in his very 1st Olympia despite a 10lb weight disadvantage!

There was no 10-lb. weight disadvantage. Both men were around 240 lbs (If memory serves me correct, per the ESPN video, Haney was 241, Yates 239).

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »
You don't win the Sandow 8 times and be considered Underrated by any means. One of the greats and everyone in the bodybuilding arena and other athletic competitions know him well.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 07:56:51 AM »

All I know, is that is one Hell of a front double biceps shot!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
Haneys legs were not small, the legs were not at todays standard, but for his day. Nowadays legs like DeMayo and Platz, which we thought overdeveloped then, are the norm.
Haneys arms were not small, his chest and back were just too damn huge.

Haney deserved every O win, except 1990. The best bber of his era.

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
brutal 16 inch arms and 22 inch legs.
When you can look at the development of an 8 time Mr O and say something like this, it's proof positive that our subculture is just a little sick.   :-\

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »
Dr. Squat trained him too.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 12:32:55 PM »
Who has such an impact when doing the arms out pose like that?

Bannout, Labrada, Benfatto could do it great, but with that level of mass?