Author Topic: Step aside, keyboards, laptops, and 9-to-5 jobs  (Read 1583 times)

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
Step aside, keyboards, laptops, and 9-to-5 jobs
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:49:01 AM »
A survey of more than 1,000 Internet activists, journalists, and technologists released Sunday speculates that by 2012, those quaint relics of 20th century life will fade away.

ok...the keyboard can go...but for guys who are engineers, cs, and it can you do your job from a d#mn iphone...as far as versions applications?  3.5 - 6.0 in screen or whatever they are. 

how many people on here access getdumb from their phone...anyway?

would you risk you eye sight to look at a 3.5 in screen for 8-9hrs a day?

are they going to far with the phn nonsense?

my blackberry is good for biz and some school on the go but d@@n sure not trying to take notes with in a class.   
Oh...Monica!

Luinitari

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Step aside, keyboards, laptops, and 9-to-5 jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:40:21 AM »
so wait lol.. a survey from journalists?  wheres the cite, link?  this won't happen by 2012, what you are talking about might happen IF the handheld devices yield much much more proof of operating at work capacities.  Which they will need a heck of a lot more development to do so.  Haha ask a business man on a plane to shut his laptop and finish his work on an iphone LOL.  Keyboards will stay for decades.  This is what works.  Mind entry will replace manual entry.  Speech recognition is too clumsy and even if refined to work very slickly it produces sound pollution and raise privacy issues as everyone in earshot will know what you are typing.  Lack of screenspace, as you mention, is the killer for workstation level handhelds.  New "pop out" displays artificially increasing screenspace will need to be conceived before any of what your talking about will happen.  2012?  LOL this is why journalists and tech bloggers don't do any of the design, just write.

Finally, Johnny Falcon knows what happens in 2012, give him a listen instead of internet journalists lol.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
A survey of more than 1,000 Internet activists, journalists, and technologists released Sunday speculates that by 2012, those quaint relics of 20th century life will fade away.

ok...the keyboard can go...but for guys who are engineers, cs, and it can you do your job from a d#mn iphone...as far as versions applications?  3.5 - 6.0 in screen or whatever they are. 

my blackberry is good for biz and some school on the go but d@@n sure not trying to take notes with in a class.   
Ummm... people in your community don't ever have to worry about what your are saying anyway, div so who gives a chicken wing?

TBH.
?

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
Ummm... people in your community don't ever have to worry about what your are saying anyway, div so who gives a chicken wing?

TBH.

just for you...camel humper.  that's right. you call yourself white.

Oh...Monica!

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »

No mobile video and it didn't happen.

Alex23

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »
just for you...camel humper.  that's right. you call yourself white.

That's one cute sporty girl...

Who's the camle humper div? Isn't blockhead mexican-irish?

I'm an engineer...  been working on some crazy stuff for a big customer of the late... let's just say screens as we knot it are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon.. so are hard drive and laptop for that matter... 

divcom

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »
That's one cute sporty girl...

Who's the camle humper div? Isn't blockhead mexican-irish?

I'm an engineer...  been working on some crazy stuff for a big customer of the late... let's just say screens as we knot it are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon.. so are hard drive and laptop for that matter... 

dont let him fool you.  that clown wasnt born in taco bell w/dad messed up on Guinness.  clearly a mid-east mix.  what's the scoop if the screens and tops are gone?
Oh...Monica!

Alex23

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
what's the scoop if the screens and tops are gone?

One of the projects I worked on last year for database visualiztion; no more screen, just goggles simulating a 54" screen that can be rotated like a cube; I don't remember the name of the vendor but I don't think it's that new;

This one's is pretty cool: PDA projection screen; a little laser on on you PDA that projects a full size keyboard on any surface.

Right now I'm working on solid state drives with LSI logic; no more plate spinning and 10-100x the access speed... this could mean a terabyte in your palm in a couple of years...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »

One of the projects I worked on last year for database visualiztion; no more screen, just goggles simulating a 54" screen that can be rotated like a cube; I don't remember the name of the vendor but I don't think it's that new;

This one's is pretty cool: PDA projection screen; a little laser on on you PDA that projects a full size keyboard on any surface.

Right now I'm working on solid state drives with LSI logic; no more plate spinning and 10-100x the access speed... this could mean a terabyte in your palm in a couple of years...
i think i saw appple advertisement for something like this

Alex23

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
i think i saw appple advertisement for something like this

Yea, it's been around for a while... fully integrated will be pretty cool...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »

Yea, it's been around for a while... fully integrated will be pretty cool...

how does it interact with your fingers though? i would imagine it would be  saying you hit the wrong letter quite often

Alex23

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »
how does it interact with your fingers though? i would imagine it would be  saying you hit the wrong letter quite often

there are different technologies; this one in particular, the laser measures the distance, hence your fingers overriding the laser is detected as a "press".

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »

there are different technologies; this one in particular, the laser measures the distance, hence your fingers overriding the laser is detected as a "press".
your fingers gotta pass over other keys to get to a certain key...im confused... but then again new technologies are always confusign to me..im not a technology minded individual

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »
wow cool shit.  Now if there can be a projected image of at least a 12" screen.

Alex23

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
wow cool shit.  Now if there can be a projected image of at least a 12" screen.

exactly. combine that with virtually unlimited storage and post 3G type of bandwidth, laptops are bulky history.