Author Topic: Alex23, will you be bringing in the New Year with a high dollar cigar?  (Read 3705 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Alex23, will you be bringing in the New Year with a high dollar cigar?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »
A bunch of us will be smoking tonight. Trying a new cigar (to me) later tonight, San Cristobal.
Somehow I don't think it's Flexington he's interested in. :)

The eyes are already heavy and I just got done rolling up a nice lil grape swisher... I'll be joinin this conversation of smoking cigars tonight.. Hope everyone has a happy new years...

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 04:43:58 PM »
The eyes are already heavy and I just got done rolling up a nice lil grape swisher... I'll be joinin this conversation of smoking cigars tonight.. Hope everyone has a happy new years...

We're not talkin' 'bout blunts, fool!! :)

Read a post once about some dude working for disadvantages youth. One of the kids stole some aged, really rare maduro cigars and used them for blunts. The guy was bummed.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »

Are you talking about drugs?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:37 PM »
We're not talkin' 'bout blunts, fool!! :)

Read a post once about some dude working for disadvantages youth. One of the kids stole some aged, really rare maduro cigars and used them for blunts. The guy was bummed.

Yeah I had a friend of the family give me a really nice cigar once when I was in high school.. I don't remember the name anyways like a 70 dollar cigar he said.. Anyways I told him a few years ago how I tried to roll up a blunt with it and he was so disappointed... Was one of the guys I have known my whole life. Shit suxed as a blunt, but I have smoked some good cigars with him twice and a few others on a rare ocassion

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
The Patel vintage sungrowns are nice but I prefer the VSGs.

They're a little bit stronger, though.

Avo makes some really smooth milder cigars.

Thanks man. It's hard to find someone who can give decent advice about cigars.

Gonna try the Edge from RP and the Vintage Sungrowns that you recommended.

A smoke or five during the week is really relaxing in the evening. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
I wanna try a Fuente Opus X but they are like 35 bucks and probably not worth the hype, and besides I'm a young smoker so probably wouldn't do well on my palette. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Thanks man. It's hard to find someone who can give decent advice about cigars.

Gonna try the Edge from RP and the Vintage Sungrowns that you recommended.

A smoke or five during the week is really relaxing in the evening. 

Don't try the Edge or Chisel from Rocky Patel if you're been smoking milder cigars.  I've been smoking a long time and still feel the Edge is nothing but a big cigarette, LOL!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Don't try the Edge or Chisel from Rocky Patel if you're been smoking milder cigars.  I've been smoking a long time and still feel the Edge is nothing but a big cigarette, LOL!

I like the occasional mild smoke but in general like medium and full bodied stuff. To me, when you're 3/4 of the way towards the smoke it tastes harsh, and medium full bodied stuff tends to avoid this stuff because it tends to be fuller to start with. And also medium to full cigars just taste better to me, but I still try mild because I fell the need to try everything to get the full spectrum. And I've also smoked mild stuff from Davidoff and Ashton that I've really liked so I still leave em in there. 

I used to smoke cigarettes socially until I decided that I really hated the stuff though I liked smoking tobacco for pleasure. I switched to cigars and really loved the stuff because it felt like it was how tobacco was supposed to taste. But there's so many brands, it's hard to choose.

I guess it's an on going adventure. 

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »
You bet Steve (Polychronopolous)...

I just bought a box of PADRON MAGNUM MADURO yesterday... which I plan on smoking at least one tonight right, after a nice home cooked dinner.. 

Bring one up Tuesday at 3pm. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
Any of you cigar aficionados tried Rocky Patel cigars? I'm tempted but usually don't venture past H. Upmann, CAO, the occasional mild smoke like Ashton.

So many freaking brands but what would you guys recommend?

I like anything by Ramon Allones, Montecristo, and Bolivar if you can get cubans.  God of Fire (Don Carlos) robusto from the Dom Rep is supposed to be damn good too, eclipsing the cubans according to some, but I haven't tried it yet.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
I like anything by Ramon Allones, Montecristo, and Bolivar if you can get cubans.  God of Fire (Don Carlos) robusto from the Dom Rep is supposed to be damn good too, eclipsing the cubans according to some, but I haven't tried it yet.

Can't get those Cubans in the states, bro.

Cubans, even when you get them, could be 1) fakes 2) not humidified and cracked 3) just too much of a hassle to get them

I do have the range of fine Dominicans, Hondurans, Nicaraguan tobaccos to savor though, so recommend away!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
I like the occasional mild smoke but in general like medium and full bodied stuff. To me, when you're 3/4 of the way towards the smoke it tastes harsh, and medium full bodied stuff tends to avoid this stuff because it tends to be fuller to start with. And also medium to full cigars just taste better to me, but I still try mild because I fell the need to try everything to get the full spectrum. And I've also smoked mild stuff from Davidoff and Ashton that I've really liked so I still leave em in there. 

I used to smoke cigarettes socially until I decided that I really hated the stuff though I liked smoking tobacco for pleasure. I switched to cigars and really loved the stuff because it felt like it was how tobacco was supposed to taste. But there's so many brands, it's hard to choose.

I guess it's an on going adventure. 

There's a noticeable change in character in most smokes at around the 2/3 mark.  The sweetness tends to disappear and the depth of flavors and richness that you had don't develop like they did at the start.  It's really getting past it when the aftertaste begins to change, frequently to a sort of salty coconut.  Most guys will put it out after the first 2/3, maybe stretch it to 3/4 if it's a double corona or something.  Punch (again a cuban) is pretty forgiving in terms of length, but it starts out almost too smooth for me.  I like at least a little bite.

Can't get those Cubans in the states, bro.

Cubans, even when you get them, could be 1) fakes 2) not humidified and cracked 3) just too much of a hassle to get them

I do have the range of fine Dominicans, Hondurans, Nicaraguan tobaccos to savor though, so recommend away!

Hmmm.  Sorry to say, that Don Carlos is the only non-cuban I've got in my collection.  I've tried a few Nicaraguans but they were mostly forgetable.  Wish I was better informed for you CJ, but I'm just an amateur aficionado.

Hopefully you can find some good info here...

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums

... although some of these guys are way too over the top for me.  I've got my limits on how much I'm willing to spend.  I mean, it's just a smoke.  I like a good smoke but I lol @ the dudes who are spending $100 on a cigar. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »

Hmmm.  Sorry to say, that Don Carlos is the only non-cuban I've got in my collection.  I've tried a few Nicaraguans but they were mostly forgetable.  Wish I was better informed for you CJ, but I'm just an amateur aficionado.

Hopefully you can find some good info here...

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/eve/forums

... although some of these guys are way too over the top for me.  I've got my limits on how much I'm willing to spend.  I mean, it's just a smoke.  I like a good smoke but I lol @ the dudes who are spending $100 on a cigar. 

Fuente Don Carlos cigars are mid pricey and a hard to find. I'm not an online buyer by any means, so you can imagine.

Thanks for your input though, it's just reassuring to get input from another cigar lover. 

There's a noticeable change in character in most smokes at around the 2/3 mark.  The sweetness tends to disappear and the depth of flavors and richness that you had don't develop like they did at the start.  It's really getting past it when the aftertaste begins to change, frequently to a sort of salty coconut.  Most guys will put it out after the first 2/3, maybe stretch it to 3/4 if it's a double corona or something.  Punch (again a cuban) is pretty forgiving in terms of length, but it starts out almost too smooth for me.  I like at least a little bite.

To be honest, my favorite shape/size is the rubusto. I don't like stretching a smoke past 35 minutes and a corona goes on for 45-50 minutes and churchill for 1 and 20. Rubustos often are the most affordable of the bunch, and that me if is a small but important determinant in the stuff that I buy.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
My grandfather smokes a cigar occasionally, but hes got a bit of a collection.

I was looking at these ones he had that were really fat. Called "Robustos" or something. Looked like the kind of cigar a mob boss from the 30's would be smoking... ;D
No doubt about it...

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:41 PM »

I was looking at these ones he had that were really fat. Called "Robustos" or something. Looked like the kind of cigar a mob boss from the 30's would be smoking... ;D

Rubustos always have a 50 ring size and are about 5 inches long.

So gauge 5 x 50 is a rubusto

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
Rubustos always have a 50 ring size and are about 5 inches long.

So gauge 5 x 50 is a rubusto

Yeah, i remember reading "5x50" on the box or something.

He offered me one, but i didn't have it. I think they were kinda pricey and they would be kinda wasted on me.
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »

I think Tony is smoking a robusto in the opening credits of the Sopranos.  ;)

I like a robusto, CJ, but I still think of it as a long smoke so I've really got to be in the mood to sit down and enjoy it for awhile.  I've got a pretty mixed box and I find myself reaching for smaller styles more frequently.  The danger, of course, is that you'll reach for one every night telling yourself "It's only a small one."  Haha, I don't want to go that road.

I thought cigars in the US were generally affordable tho?  Not so with the Don Carlos eh?  At any rate I'm sure the guy at the tobacconist could recommend something to you that would be pretty good.

Fuck it's only 2:30 in the afternoon.  All this talk is giving me a craving tho.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
I think Tony is smoking a robusto in the opening credits of the Sopranos.  ;)

I like a robusto, CJ, but I still think of it as a long smoke so I've really got to be in the mood to sit down and enjoy it for awhile.  I've got a pretty mixed box and I find myself reaching for smaller styles more frequently.  The danger, of course, is that you'll reach for one every night telling yourself "It's only a small one."  Haha, I don't want to go that road.

I thought cigars in the US were generally affordable tho?  Not so with the Don Carlos eh?  At any rate I'm sure the guy at the tobacconist could recommend something to you that would be pretty good.

Fuck it's only 2:30 in the afternoon.  All this talk is giving me a craving tho.

Very nice.  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Very nice.  ;D

Thanks dude.  Snapped it last night.  I wanted to turn 'em all so the rings were visable and that took a minute.  I swear I don't keep 'em at 57%!  ;D

Stocks are holding out for now.  Considering getting a box of Monte 4.  Might go online tho since the local shop charges over $20 for one.  ::)  Good place for selection and advice but way too pricey.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 09:54:34 PM »
Thanks dude.  Snapped it last night.  I wanted to turn 'em all so the rings were visable and that took a minute.  I swear I don't keep 'em at 57%!  ;D

Stocks are holding out for now.  Considering getting a box of Monte 4.  Might go online tho since the local shop charges over $20 for one.  ::)  Good place for selection and advice but way too pricey.

Always wanted to try the Montecristo no. 4. Hear it's the top celling Cuban smoke in the world.

I do have people over seas that can buy it for me, as well as other classic brands like Bolivar and Upmann, but I'm not inclined to stress them over a pleasure.

I'm a young smoker, so I guess all is a work in process, much like the making of a fine cigar  8)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
Always wanted to try the Montecristo no. 4. Hear it's the top celling Cuban smoke in the world.

I do have people over seas that can buy it for me, as well as other classic brands like Bolivar and Upmann, but I'm not inclined to stress them over a pleasure.

I'm a young smoker, so I guess all is a work in process, much like the making of a fine cigar  8)

I'll send you one if you'd like.  Maybe put it in a tubo & ziplock or something and change the ring in case US customs opens it.  PM me your address if you want. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 10:06:14 PM »
I'll send you one if you'd like.  Maybe put it in a tubo & ziplock or something and change the ring in case US customs opens it.  PM me your address if you want. 

I've always wanted to bang a supermodel.  Can you send me one of those?

Gag and drug her, if you think that'll make it easier for the UPS driver.  Plausible deniability, and all.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
I've always wanted to bang a supermodel.  Can you send me one of those?

Gag and drug her, if you think that'll make it easier for the UPS driver.  Plausible deniability, and all.

You dick.  ;D

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 06:32:47 AM »
Nice collection, Tapworm.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 06:34:20 AM »
man I wish I was there with you  :P

:-X :-X :-X

Alex23 your team of worshipper's is worrying, i hope this "guy" has not got your address!
Ta ta nerds!