Author Topic: Best book on Nutrution and meals  (Read 7642 times)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
Re: Best book on Nutrution and meals
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »
The recent Carlton Colker book is very good for nutritional info - "Extreme Muscle Enhancement" it's called.

have to disagree, biggest ever waste of money i've ever spent.

hypocrite slaggs off steroid users while he himself takes them.

there is no facts in it, all anti steroid propaganda.
175lbs by 31st July

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »
have to disagree, biggest ever waste of money i've ever spent.

hypocrite slaggs off steroid users while he himself takes them.

there is no facts in it, all anti steroid propaganda.

It's not "anti-steroid" - he does say if you're going to use them then at least know what you're getting into. It's pretty obvious he's used before - doesn't bother me if it comes across hypocritical.

I didn't read it for the gear advice anyway - it was the nutritional stuff that was a good read. It makes up the majority of the book and I wasn't too fussed with the other stuff in it.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned on GetBig yet, but Venuto's new book "The Body Fat Solution" is definitely worth reading.

Basically it's low calorie diet but he presents it in unique and intelligent manner.

Worth a look-over if you want to head into the ripped-up realm.

But, like all diet books, the same subject matter could be covered in a book 90% smaller.

BatistaSL

• Getbig II
  • Whatever doesn't kill me, Makes me Stronger!
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned on GetBig yet, but Venuto's new book "The Body Fat Solution" is definitely worth reading.

Basically it's low calorie diet but he presents it in unique and intelligent manner.

Worth a look-over if you want to head into the ripped-up realm.

But, like all diet books, the same subject matter could be covered in a book 90% smaller.

Well haven't red it yet but His BFFM was great!!!

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
Lyle McDonald's shit is overpriced, repackaged, dry garbage for the most part.  As for Brink I've never read of any of his nonsense.  But him quoting some egg study using 5 geriatric colostomy patients and calling it "medical research" is pretty laughable. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
But the best book on nutrition right now concerning bodybuilding is Randy Roach's Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors.  Anyone like Will Brink and Lyle McDonald' who cannot see the difference between the nutritional superiority of say raw milk vs. pasteurized or down plays the importance of enzymes and other aspects of nutrition is a moron or just clueless. 

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
Read Franco Columbu's "the bodybuilders nutrition book". Borders and amazon carries it. really good stuff. and no its not out of touch.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
But the best book on nutrition right now concerning bodybuilding is Randy Roach's Muscle, Smoke, and Mirrors.  Anyone like Will Brink and Lyle McDonald' who cannot see the difference between the nutritional superiority of say raw milk vs. pasteurized or down plays the importance of enzymes and other aspects of nutrition is a moron or just clueless. 

I am thinking about buying that book but isin't that book based on the history of Bodybuilding?
D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »
I am thinking about buying that book but isin't that book based on the history of Bodybuilding?

More the history of nutrition in bodybuilding.  Part II will focus even more on nutrition and
steroids. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
I just ordered 4 books off of Amazon and i saw that one but i wanna make sure it is worth the read for $60.
D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:09 PM »
I just ordered 4 books off of Amazon and i saw that one but i wanna make sure it is worth the read for $60.

It's well worth the read in my opinion.  Probably the best book on the history of bodybuilding.  Just in terms of sheer scope, especially the nutrition aspect.   

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
It's well worth the read in my opinion.  Probably the best book on the history of bodybuilding.  Just in terms of sheer scope, especially the nutrition aspect.   

Have you ever read any books by a Dr....ahh i forget his last name but i just ordered two of his books and was is called "what does your body look like naked." Seems like a good read and he also wrote "Better then Steroids." I picked up both of those.
D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
Have you ever read any books by a Dr....ahh i forget his last name but i just ordered two of his books and was is called "what does your body look like naked." Seems like a good read and he also wrote "Better then Steroids." I picked up both of those.

I would never buy a book titled "Better than Steroids".  That's just stupid.  You can be the perfect natural bodybuilder in the world.  Eat perfect 100% of the time, train perfectly, have the best genetics, get the perfect amount of sleep.  You'll still never look like a steroid using bodybuilder period.  I've seen that book but never read it.  Maybe the author should have titled it....."You don't need Steroids!" instead.  That would make more sense.  Otherwise there is nothing better than steroids if everything else is spot on.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
Chris Arceto books:

Understanding Bodybuilding Nutrition and Training..... $19.95 (Amazon.com)
Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss .............$19.95 (Amazon.com)
Championship Bodybuilding ........................ ............ $24.35 (Amazon.com)

Might even be less expensive if you did a search on eBay.com

Anyone ever get a chance to read "Better Than Steroids" and care to elaborate on what those substances are? Book photo shown below:
I would never buy a book titled "Better than Steroids".  That's just stupid.  You can be the perfect natural bodybuilder in the world.  Eat perfect 100% of the time, train perfectly, have the best genetics, get the perfect amount of sleep.  You'll still never look like a steroid using bodybuilder period.  I've seen that book but never read it.  Maybe the author should have titled it....."You don't need Steroids!" instead.  That would make more sense.  Otherwise there is nothing better than steroids if everything else is spot on.

I just bought the book and to see if it is a decent read in my down time. I expect this book to be like all the others but i picked up a Chris Aceto book and it was the same ole' stuff but i did notice that he had a problem with affect and effect. Nutrution has not changed for Bodybuilders and i expect to see it stay the same. I stick with Protein, Creatine and a Multi vitamin and i may incorporate some Fish oil and some other smaller supps but nothing that big and eat 6 small meals per day along with two shakes.
D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »

I just bought the book and to see if it is a decent read in my down time. I expect this book to be like all the others but i picked up a Chris Aceto book and it was the same ole' stuff but i did notice that he had a problem with affect and effect. Nutrution has not changed for Bodybuilders and i expect to see it stay the same. I stick with Protein, Creatine and a Multi vitamin and i may incorporate some Fish oil and some other smaller supps but nothing that big and eat 6 small meals per day along with two shakes.

I'm telliing you bro Randy's book is fascinating.  There is much more to the history of nutrition in bodybuilding than you think.  I can't explain it.  You just have to read the book.  I wouldn't waste your money on much else these days......most everything is rehashed, regurgitated crap. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »
I'm telliing you bro Randy's book is fascinating.  There is much more to the history of nutrition in bodybuilding than you think.  I can't explain it.  You just have to read the book.  I wouldn't waste your money on much else these days......most everything is rehashed, regurgitated crap. 

True. I have been looking at Smoke and Mirrors and it seems to be the history of bodybuilding but i am thinking about going ahead and ordering it. The reviews are top notch and it is over 600 pages and it seems like a good read and will problary pick up Volume 2 when it becomes available.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »

You talked me into buying it....Just ordered it and looking forward to getting it
D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 12:20:42 AM »

In all honesty, that sounds like a realy boring book. How much history can there be about nutrition in bodybuilding - low protein/high carbs/high fats to high protein + fats/low carb to high protein high carb/low fat then back again with a section on pre/post workout nutrition  :-\
175lbs by 31st July

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 04:40:03 AM »
In all honesty, that sounds like a realy boring book. How much history can there be about nutrition in bodybuilding - low protein/high carbs/high fats to high protein + fats/low carb to high protein high carb/low fat then back again with a section on pre/post workout nutrition  :-\

See that's why the book is so interesting.  There is a ton of information about the history of nutrition in bodybuilding.  A lot more than most people realize or even have a clue about.  There are some boring parts in the book.  I'm in the chapters of the formation of the AAU/IFBB and talks about Weider, Hoffman and Dan Lurie.  It's dry but most would find the material interesting. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »
See that's why the book is so interesting.  There is a ton of information about the history of nutrition in bodybuilding.  A lot more than most people realize or even have a clue about.  There are some boring parts in the book.  I'm in the chapters of the formation of the AAU/IFBB and talks about Weider, Hoffman and Dan Lurie.  It's dry but most would find the material interesting. 

I should get it by Thursday or Friday and i am really looking forward to it and part 2.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 09:50:59 PM »

Anyone ever get a chance to read "Better Than Steroids" and care to elaborate on what those substances are? Book photo shown below:
[/quote]

I just read this book and it is not bad but i would reccomend this book beginners. "Better than Steroids" is a good book and Dr. Willey does a great job making things as simple as can be but as i figured this book is all about food and the best time to train, eat and getting the right types of food. This book is a great read for beginners but the funny thing about this book as he implies that Jay Cutler is natural and even Jay endorses Dr. Willey on the back and swears that he uses the same principles in this book and that it helped make him Mr. Olympia.
D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »

I just read this book and it is not bad but i would reccomend this book beginners. "Better than Steroids" is a good book and Dr. Willey does a great job making things as simple as can be but as i figured this book is all about food and the best time to train, eat and getting the right types of food. This book is a great read for beginners but the funny thing about this book as he implies that Jay Cutler is natural and even Jay endorses Dr. Willey on the back and swears that he uses the same principles in this book and that it helped make him Mr. Olympia.

Funny?  That downright destroys any credibility that author could ever have regarding training, nutrition and steroids.  LOL.  Part II of Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors, is going to be really interesting.  Randy's said he's focuses on some sport specific training arguments, more on steroids etc. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Funny?  That downright destroys any credibility that author could ever have regarding training, nutrition and steroids.  LOL.  Part II of Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors, is going to be really interesting.  Randy's said he's focuses on some sport specific training arguments, more on steroids etc. 

Yea, it was pretty funny seeing Jay on the back and saying that he was a natural and their is only "one" Jay Cuter. Good book for beginners because i am just getting into Muscle, Smoke & Mirrors and it is a thick book and it should only take a few days to read but when is volume Two coming out?
D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
Protein Power by Michael Eades, M.D. & Mary Dan Eades, M.D

great great book! anyone who reads it will learn!

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Protein Power by Michael Eades, M.D. & Mary Dan Eades, M.D

great great book! anyone who reads it will learn!
nonsense - he believes calories don't matter - i.e a clown.
175lbs by 31st July