Author Topic: 1971 Mr. Olympia: Arnold competes unopposed!  (Read 27432 times)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: 1971 Mr. Olympia: Arnold competes unopposed!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »
Arnold 1971 :)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
The champ looking big as ever and ripped to shreds.

Franco guestposing, since he was disqualified from competition.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
Arnold never had a problem doing the numbers. :)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Franco guestposing, since he was disqualified from competition.

Why?  ???

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
Arnold never had a problem doing the numbers. :)

LOL, good catch johnny. It was his trademark by that point. ;)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
What year did Franco win the Mr Universe?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
1970, which I didn't know until now, so that adds a new spin on things. I deleted my last comment, and this is how I think it goes:

Apparently, it was due to Franco's entry in the AAU Mr. World the previous year, in which he was classified as a pro in that event. So, he would be ineligable to enter the amateur Mr. Universe if he's a pro (as of 1971's rules). So, if we say that Franco won his "pro card" at the IFBB 1970 Mr. Universe (September 4/5), hence why he entered the AAU Mr. World (September 19), then he would be ineligable to compete as an amateur in the 1971 Universe, as of Ben Weider's official declaration of pro and amateur rules, set at the '71 Universe. Having said that, why didn't he just enter the Mr. Olympia? Was he even eligable to enter the Mr. Universe again the year after winning it? The last question is likely why Franco was DQed, as maybe he didn't know that he wasn't allowed to enter the contest again.

Here's the write-up for the 1971 Universe / Olympia. Edited from Muscle Builder: Vol 13, Num 3, Page 24. April 1972.

THRILL-BY-THRILL REPORT OF THE SENSATIONAL 1971 IFBB MR. UNIVERSE - MR. OLYMPIA CONTEST!
1971 IFBB MR. UNIVERSE & MR. OLYMPIA CONTESTS

by BOB HISE, IFBB Observer, A.A.U. Delegate and F.H.I. Alternate.

Standing under the Arc de Triomphe, the most venerated shrine in the whole of France, I thrilled to a lovely Parisian sunset. I closed my eyes and contemplated all that had happened here at the focal point of the capital city of western Civilization for 2500 years. I saw the fierce armies of Caesar, Napoleon, the Kaiser, Czar Peter, and Eisenhower enter the Champs Elysées and wage furious struggles against powerful foes. Some to leave victorious, other conqured. Paris appeared such a likely choice to host the greats of might and valor whenever they chose to do battle. Tomorrow another awesome struggle between giants would start - the 1971 IFBB Mr. Universe Contest.

SURPRISE DISQUALIFICATIONS STARTLE THREE ENTRANTS
At two in the afternoon on September 24 it began with pre-judging, a somber time not at all like the festivities of the formal contest a day later. Pre-judging was particularly disheartening for Sergio Oliva and Roy Callender. They were disqualified for entering unsanctioned meets and not allowed to compete. Francisco Columbu was disqualified for entering a professional contest. This was the first-ever time the IFBB barred contestants from any of its events. The step was necessary to prove the IFBB would enforce its Constitution and give it parity with other official international athletic organizations. "If bodybuilding is to become an Olympic Games event it must have an amateur division and it must have rules and regulations specifying who is eligible or not to compete in amateur and professional categories," insisted IFBB President Ben Weider in the keynote speech opening the contest. Ben told how the IFBB is gunning for representation in the 1976 Olympics and that favorable progress is being made.
Since only a portion of the audience understood the French-speaking emcee, a great buzz of astonishment rose as a new superstar shaped up in the wings. He strode to the podium as audience hysteria made it impossible for anyone to hear his name announced. In fifty languages, only one thought was expressed: "Who is this fantastic bodybuilder?" He stood about 5'5", darkhued, with arms at least 20". And he whipped through difficult poses with the confidence and poise of a man who should be a Mr. Universe or a Mr. Olympia. The density of his back looked capable of shielding a battleship. Lats and shoulders seemed other-worldly and indeed many spectators thought they were hallucinating. As he left, half the crowd sat stupefied, stunned too deeply to applaud, the remainder went berserk with kudos and we all asked why wasn't this new face in the amateur Mr. Universe just presented. It wasn't until breathless moments later we realized he couldn't be. We were marvelling at a new supersaturated unrecognizable Francisco Colombu in exhibition. A sure winner had he competed, Colombu is no less than the third best built man alive. And the other two were about to appear.

OFFICER OLIVA MAKES AN UNEXPECTED APPEARANCE
Sergio Oliva, recently appointed to the Chicago police department, filed an application to enter the Mr. Olympia show in July. Naturally it was accepted, but when he made known his intentions to enter a non-sanctioned contest, his IFBB application was returned. Ben Weider pleaded with Sergio not to disqualify himself by entering this unsanctioned event. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger, begging for competition, told Sergio six weeks in advance that the IFBB would not let him in but Oliva, prodded by his patron, Arthur Jones of Florida, would not listen. He went to London and was refused at Paris. Heartbroken, Sergio did not realize the now-official status of the IFBB demanded it bar him. Oliva was very steamed up to appear before this muscle-hungry crowd in any capacity, however. He pleaded to go on as an exhibitor and after some deliberation the request was granted, only after sending a letter of apology to the IFBB Congress.

And what a performance he gave! No matter how often one sees Sergio the reaction must always be the same-absolute amazement. He tore the place apart. His magnetism and charisma even exceeds Arnold's. He makes fans on cue in the tradition of Grimek, Scott, and Reeves, for he is a physique buff's dream. He provides more than just an incredible body and posing display. He is an indescribable complete show in himself and awed the fans from start to finish.

Sergio was in as good shape as I've ever seen him. But he makes too many concessions to bulk-madness. Apparently he refuses to train properly because a lack of muscle-density holds him back from being totally unstoppable. Arnold and Colombu are definitely in his class. With greater density to complement his awesome size, shape, and proportion, Oliva would be peerless. If Sergio would hit California this summer and pick up some more tips from Joe Weider, who originally brought him to prominence, he might easily regain Mr. Olympia in 1972.

Only in the Mr. Olympia event did this fantastic night falter. Defending champ Arnold Schwarzenegger charged through his paces unopposed. Without Sergio or Colombu breathing down his broad back Arnold appeared relaxed. He was far superior to his 1970 shape to this viewer (meaning ultra-fantastic) and only direct comparisons with the others would have determined the best built man of all time. The fans wanted The Great Posedown III, but gladly settled for Arnold solo. Maybe next year.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
Arnold reportedly weighed in at 260lbs!

Shawn Perine just posted on Ironage that he recently spoke with Arnold and asked him how much he weighed in 1971 and Arnold said 246 pounds

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php/topic,19870.0.html