Author Topic: What belt do you use?  (Read 2753 times)

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Re: What belt do you use?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:16 PM »
I don't wear a belt.
neither do I........I think most wear them to look cool or have sum gay nickname painted on the back of them ::).

Next time you’re in the gym, look around and take note of the amount of people who have a weight belt strapped around their waist. Chances are you’ll see one or two people proudly sporting one, almost as a reminder to everyone that they’re serious about their strength training. After all, if they lift so much weight that they need a belt to help support them, they must be hardcore, right? Wrong.

If you need a weight belt to help you lift, this is a dead give-away that you are lifting too much. If you are wearing one to support a weak lower back, that’s fine, but it may be more advantageous for you to work on strengthening your back. Weight belts have several disadvantages, the most important one being that they cause individuals to develop poor lifting habits, such as not tightening their core as they lift. This can carry over into everyday life. Do you wear a weight belt everywhere you go, in the off chance you have to lift something heavy? Probably not. If you develop poor lifting habits in the gym with the support of a weight belt, this greatly increases your risk of hurting yourself if you have to lift something without one. It’s a much better idea to work on your form with lighter weights, without the belt. It’s much more conducive to everyday life. Some other disadvantages include raised blood pressure and ulcer-like symptoms, such as abdominal pain. Who wants that? Not anyone I know! My advice is to forgo the weight belt and increase your strength training the better way: gradually and naturally

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »
neither do I........I think most wear them to look cool or have sum gay nickname painted on the back of them ::).

Next time you’re in the gym, look around and take note of the amount of people who have a weight belt strapped around their waist. Chances are you’ll see one or two people proudly sporting one, almost as a reminder to everyone that they’re serious about their strength training. After all, if they lift so much weight that they need a belt to help support them, they must be hardcore, right? Wrong.

If you need a weight belt to help you lift, this is a dead give-away that you are lifting too much. If you are wearing one to support a weak lower back, that’s fine, but it may be more advantageous for you to work on strengthening your back. Weight belts have several disadvantages, the most important one being that they cause individuals to develop poor lifting habits, such as not tightening their core as they lift. This can carry over into everyday life. Do you wear a weight belt everywhere you go, in the off chance you have to lift something heavy? Probably not. If you develop poor lifting habits in the gym with the support of a weight belt, this greatly increases your risk of hurting yourself if you have to lift something without one. It’s a much better idea to work on your form with lighter weights, without the belt. It’s much more conducive to everyday life. Some other disadvantages include raised blood pressure and ulcer-like symptoms, such as abdominal pain. Who wants that? Not anyone I know! My advice is to forgo the weight belt and increase your strength training the better way: gradually and naturally

meltdown
Z

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
Yeah belts are for big, giant pussies.
from incomplete data

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:40 PM »

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
I use a Metal double prong belt for squat, a cheep ass tapered belt for shirted benching and a lever belt for deadlifting.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »
I use a Metal double prong belt for squat, a cheep ass tapered belt for shirted benching and a lever belt for deadlifting.

with squat i assume you mean you sit down when taking a piss ?
Z

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

high reps and look what hes wearing around his waist

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »
Belts are good up to a point. A lot of guys wear a belt and a.use way more weight than they should or b.use shitty form thinking they're protected. I don't lift weights though, so i may be wrong.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
 8)
Gracie Rules

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
I train without a belt. Compete with one pretty much identical to Magoo's.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
Works for me

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:37 PM »

the guys i know who lift without a belt struggle to squat 225. the guy who lifts with one does speed work with 405 plus blue bands. the guy without a belt quakes trying to deadlift 315. the old man who told me to buy an inzer belt pulled 630 in competition at over 60 years old.

Do you wear a weight belt everywhere you go, in the off chance you have to lift something heavy?

no, but i also rarely have 450 pounds on my shoulders or 500 pounds that i need to hoist off the floor. go to a powerlifting meet, count the number of guys going without a belt. i guess you could tell brian siders or scott weech that they need to work on their back strength, but they'd probably laugh you out of the gym.  :-\

basurablanco

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »

Holds my pants up.  :-\

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
the guys i know who lift without a belt struggle to squat 225. the guy who lifts with one does speed work with 405 plus blue bands. the guy without a belt quakes trying to deadlift 315. the old man who told me to buy an inzer belt pulled 630 in competition at over 60 years old.

no, but i also rarely have 450 pounds on my shoulders or 500 pounds that i need to hoist off the floor. go to a powerlifting meet, count the number of guys going without a belt. i guess you could tell brian siders or scott weech that they need to work on their back strength, but they'd probably laugh you out of the gym.  :-\
I can see wearing a belt for big lifts or a comp but not like sum of the dorks i see wearing one to curl or bang out a wicked set of 8 tri push downs.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
I can see wearing a belt for big lifts or a comp but not like sum of the dorks i see wearing one to curl or bang out a wicked set of 8 tri push downs.

well yeah there's always the idiots that put their little Valeo belt on loose as soon as they step in the gym and never take the thing off, but don't generalize that to mean belts suck in general.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 06:37:19 PM »
well yeah there's always the idiots that put their little Valeo belt on loose as soon as they step in the gym and never take the thing off, but don't generalize that to mean belts suck in general.
No a belt is a must when P/L like yourself but in general it's not needed for most posers that strut around the gym doing machines the whole workout.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
I think i posted this before, but a few months ago I saw a guy about 6 feet 170 lbs wearing one. It had his last name and some gay latin saying on it. You could tell it was new because he was trying to get everyone to acknowldge it. He wore it doing kickbacks, laterals and on the treadmill.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »
I think i posted this before, but a few months ago I saw a guy about 6 feet 170 lbs wearing one. It had his last name and some gay latin saying on it. You could tell it was new because he was trying to get everyone to acknowldge it. He wore it doing kickbacks, laterals and on the treadmill.
hahahaha! you gotta  love these clowns.

I love when a stone face delusionite is struggling to bench the 60's and I will walk up and curl them just to fock with them........They always seem to be check their selfs out in the mirror to make sure their hat is still crooked ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
No doubt about it...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

I don't see mine but it's there.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »
Didn't they just release some huge study somewhere that came to the conclusion at least for back injuries that those belts didn't do shit?

Not a shocker. Theyre not supposed to.

Jason

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »
all raw here too.
there is this guy at my gym who wears a weight belt to do machine flies :-\
A

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
No a belt is a must when P/L like yourself but in general it's not needed for most posers that strut around the gym doing machines the whole workout.
You don't have to be a powerlifter.
I use my belt for deadlifts and squats when im doing 6-8reps because i do not want to risk getting a hernia or damaging my spine. Even if you normally use perfect technique, it only takes 1 bad rep to fuck you up and a belt will be a safety net.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:47 AM »
Weightlifters squat and pull fucking heavy and they rarely get back injuries. They train their abs hardcore. And they don't usually bother to use a belt either. It tells you something.