Author Topic: "The Wrestler " Staring Mickey Rourke Official Thread  (Read 19672 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: "The Wrestler " Staring Mickey Rourke Official Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
yea that scene was amazing, one of the best on screen meltdowns ever!
LOL ya

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
  • My power is discombobulatingly & devastating!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 12:17:41 AM »
yea that scene was amazing, one of the best on screen meltdowns ever!

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BROSKIS........... WHEN THAT SCENE HAPPENED I WAS THE ONLY ONE LAUGHING WHILE THE WHOLE THEATER WAS DEAD QUIT.............. IS THAT FU.CKED UP OR IS THAT JUST FUNNY 

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 02:58:26 AM »
Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.

Like theres something wrong, why not just have a good time?

I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
look how mickey avoids the steroid question lol.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
Randy The Ram is Going To Wrestlmainia (Video Update)
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
http://www.pwinsiderelite.com/article.php?id=36110&p=1

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

Randy The Ram Going to Wrestlemainia

Tonight during the E! News pre-show for the Screen Actors Guild Awards, Mickey Rourke was interviewed about the support of the professional wrestling industry when it comes to "The Wrestler".  Rourke said the wrestling industry has been very supportive, specifically naming Ric Flair and Roddy Piper.  Rourke then said "It looks like I'm going to Houston for Wrestlemania.  Y2J better look out, I'm going to kick his a-s-s".

Source PWinsider.com   

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 09:41:14 PM »
look how mickey avoids the steroid question lol.

The other half

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
I've heard that Rourke could be appearing at Wrestlemania?  Anyone else heard about this?

EDIT:  I've just seen Karl's thread.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »
I just watched this two days ago. Incredible, incredible movie. Really felt it. Rourke and Tomei were great.  What kept getting me was Rourke's breathing. He did a great job showing the labors his body was going through with the slow, contorted movements and the heavy, congested breathing. I'm pretty shocked that this didn't get nominated for best picture considering it's at 98% on RT while The Reader is in the 60's (I think).

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Randy The Ram is Going To Wrestlmainia
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 02:19:48 PM »
Why waste Jericho, who has so much heat at WM in a match with Mickey? I understand trying to get some mainstream interest.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
yep BF, should have been nominated for best picture, it was the best reviewed movie of the year.

but garbage like the curious case of benjamin button gets nominated! The oscars are fuckin retarded anyways!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
Because jericho is the best on the mic in the wwe right now, and he's a proven performer.

He can sell this feud to the crowd, and make mickey look good in whatever they do. Especially in the ring where there are few better than Y2J

Its funny though because when vince was privately screened the movie he hated it, but when mickey got nominated for best actor he quickly changed his mind lol.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Because jericho is the best on the mic in the wwe right now, and he's a proven performer.

He can sell this feud to the crowd, and make mickey look good in whatever they do. Especially in the ring where there are few better than Y2J

Its funny though because when vince was privately screened the movie he hated it, but when mickey got nominated for best actor he quickly changed his mind lol.

I noticed Vince's change of heart as well!  But then if it's good for business he's always gonna jump on it.

Jericho vs. Rourke could happen I suppose, they would have to put him against a heel character, so it would have to be someone like Jericho, Big Show, JBL (too stiff maybe?!).

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
Why waste Jericho, who has so much heat at WM in a match with Mickey? I understand trying to get some mainstream interest.

My bro said the same thing.

Make Randy the ram beat the crap out of Santino

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 05:02:31 PM »
My bro said the same thing.

Make Randy the ram beat the crap out of Santino

no, its a reward for jericho for the awesome year he had in 08' pretty much carrying the company while everyone was injured.

plus he gets that mainstream rub from rourke which can only help him in the future since its well known that jericho wants to get into acting at some point in the future.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
13 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT 'THE WRESTLER'

Lex Luger IS Randy the Ram.  The film opens with a montage of clippings and photos from the heyday of Randy The Ram's sparkling pro wrestling career before jumping ahead 20 years later to find him the beaten, weathered performer he is today.  All of the photos in the montage and other scenes in the film are actually doctored photos of former WCW World champion Lex Luger, acquired by the film from photographer George Napolitano, who has been shooting ringside for decades at major events.  When Producers learned of the path Luger's life took in the years after WCW shut down, the decision to use him as a body model for the Ram made even more sense.  Luger was later brought out to the film's Hollywood premiere.

How Would Those Hair Extensions Have Worked?  Although the story that seems to get told is that director Darren Aronofsky listened to his heart and replaced Nicolas Cage with Mickey Rourke, the reality appears to be something different.  Cage actually trained for several days under Afa the Wild Samoan in Allentown, PA.  Afa later got word that Cage had departed the project and had to wait for Rourke to come on board, leaving Rourke a scant three months to pick up the physicality of the business.  Watching Rourke in the film, one can't help but wonder how it would have worked with Cage in the role...and whether he would have been anywhere near the Oscars race.  Afa was actually suggested by Georgianne Makropoulos of The Wrestling Chatterbox. Rourke still texts Afa daily. Cage, who likely left the project due to the physicality needed, probably doesn't stay in touch.

Originally, She Came To Him.  In a scene that was later cut from the film (and probably never filmed), Randy the Ram's daughter Stephanie comes to see him backstage at a show he is wrestling on.  In the scene, she is the one who has come to "make amends" as part of her AA program.  Ram is half-interested and when fans interrupt their discussion, she comments, "I'm in the middle of something important and you drop it for f***ing wrestling." Randy then accuses her of showing up to attack him, ending the would-be reunion.  Given the level of work from Rourke and Evan Rachel Wood in the film, it would have been interesting to see how the scene may have played out on screen - it also would have shown the effect of Ram's career on his daughter's emotional health beyond her anger over his decision to make his career the most important thing in his life.

As Jon Lovitz once said, "ACTING!"  While the story of the film does not stray from Robert Siegel's script, all of the backstage locker room scenes and the first scene where Randy the Ram works a deli counter were all improvised.  In fact, Rourke was serving legitimate customers in that first scene, making his quips to those getting food that much funnier.

Yes, That is the ECW Arena.  Although most fans wouldn't realize it watching the film, the Combat Zone Wrestling sequence where Randy wrestles Necro Butcher and later suffers his health scare is the former ECW Arena in Philadelphia.  The locker room scene where Ram passes out backstage in the venue is actually backstage at the Arena as well, one of the upgrades that have been done on the building since the original ECW collapsed. It was perhaps five feet from where Paul Heyman gave the famous speech in the "Beyond the Mat" documentary. Of the other independent venues shown in the film, only the ROH show in Dover was a venue that was used specifically by the production with ROH working with the producers to fill the theater booked.  The WXW and JAPW sequences were filmed at actual events promoted in venues regularly used by those companies.

Who You Should Thank.  In the convention scene, where Randy the Ram is among the stars of yesteryear who sit around waiting to meet a small public, he meets a fan named Evan.  In actuality, that fan is longtime Wrestling Then & Now newsletter editor Evan Ginzberg, listed as Associate Producer of the film.  Ginzberg handled a lot of the groundwork for Ring of Honor, Jersey All Pro Wrestling and other independent companies to get involved.  If you were happy to see this aspect of the business recognized and even happier to see some local talents get a payday, Evan was the person responsible.  He also pops up in the crowd of the first wrestling scene. Ginzberg is now working a documentary about his friend Tiger Khan an independent wrestler who is among those that passed away far too young. The themes of that film will have similar ones to "The Wrestler", except none of it will have been fantasy.

Perhaps it was Russo's Booking?  In the same scene, while most fans may not recognize him, the veteran that hugs Randy the Ram and is later seen dead asleep waiting for fans that will never come is none other than WWE Hall of Famer and former Tag Team champion Johnny Valiant.  Yes, really.

The Ram's Other Trainers.  While Afa the Wild Samoan oversaw Rourke's training, it was WXW wrestlers Supreme Lee Great and Tommy Suede who worked inside the ring with Rourke to prepare him for the film.  Great appears in the film as a referee while Suede wrestles Rourke in the first match as Tommy Noxious.

Mom, Dad, For The Last Time, Just Do What I Tell You.  In the second deli scene, in which Randy the Ram's worked and real worlds come colliding together, Darren Aronofsky's own parents make cameos as the annoying customers that set the stage for Randy's rage and retreat from the supermarket.

Rourke Really Did Wrestle...Sort Of.  While the mainstream media has been fascinated by the fact that Mickey Rourke performed all his own stunts for the film, that is and isn't true.  Kid USA, a New York area based independent wrestler from the early 1990s, worked as Rourke's stand-in, as they had a similar build and hairstyle.  In many cases, when the matches were filmed, they were shot twice.  Once with USA, once with Rourke.  The final product in the film is likely the edited sum of those bouts.  Rourke really did pull out the flying head scissors and dive over the ropes  that you see in the climactic match of the film against The Ayatollah, however.

Hey Ram, You Suck! When Randy the Ram gives his speech prior to the match that closes the film, the audience is in love with their hero and gives him a huge standing ovation.  The reality was that when they first attempted to film the scene, the ROH audience began catcalling the monolouge.  It wasn't until Darren Aronofsky addressed the audience and explained how important the scene was that they got on board, giving themselves a "We f***ed up" chant before setting into the rabid Ram-Lovefest you see in the final film.

If You Are A Hardcore Fan, Sit Through The Credits.  A number of people who worked in and around the wrestling industry were thanked by the production, but you have to wait to the end to see their acknowledgments, including Brutus Beefcake, Greg Valentine, Sabu and Gabe Sapolsky.

The Ending You Didn't See.  The Wrestler ends with Randy coming off the top rope with the Ram Jam before going to black and playing Bruce Springsteen's haunting song for the credits.  When the match was filmed at a March 2008 ROH event, Ram nailed the move and scored the pin....not that the pinfall truly mattered, as the character had sacrificed everything he tried to regain by returning to the wrestling world.

The Wrestler is an extremely fascinating character study of a performer who is also a walking time capsule, lost mentally and emotionally in what he used to be, with no idea how to grow and accept who he is today.  It's a film well worth seeing.

Source pwinsider.com

Karl Kox

• Getbig V

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
WOW GREAT READ, THIS MOVIE WOULD HAVE BEEN SHIT IF Nicolas Cage WOULD HAVE BEEN THE STAR.  THE ONE FACTOR I SEE IN THE LONG RUN IS THAT WHEN PEOPLE SEE THIS MOVIE THEY MIGHT GET INTERESTED IN GOING TO A WRESTLING SHOW OR WATCHING IT ON THE TV.  IT WOULD BE TO SEE TO Darren Aronofsky MAKE OTHER MOVIES ABOUT WRESTLERS SINCE HE SEEMS TO BE GOOD AT IT.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Larry King with Chris Jerico and Mickey Rourke (Video)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »
They seem to be really going at it............anyone else see it?

I partied with Chris about 3 yrs ago with a The Coach and Tanka.<sp

All I remember was Chris drunk off his ass standing next to a palm tree singing don't stop believe it, by Journey ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Anyone catch Larry King with Chris Jerico and Mickey Rourke?
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
They seem to be really going at it............anyone else see it?

I partied with Chris about 3 yrs ago with a The Coach and Tanka.<sp

All I remember was Chris drunk off his ass standing next to a palm tree singing don't stop believe it, by Journey ;D

haha, good story SS.  Did you guys short arm clothesline anybody?

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
haha, good story SS.  Did you guys short arm clothesline anybody?
hahahaha! naw but we had to throw out the typical tards that wanna arm wrestle them or follow them around like little puppies asking them all kinds of lame questions.

Funny thing is, Chris took one of the strippers in the bathroom and got sum head ...... afterwards, she gave him her number.

He tore it up and threw it on the floor, so after we closed me and my buddy taped it back together and put it up front by the door where her BF worked. ;D

LOL true story.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
I saw it.  It was pretty lame.  Rourke was trying to have a serious interview with Larry, and then that dusche bag Jerico got into character and thought it was a WWE stint.
w

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
Mickey Rourke & Chris Jericho On Larry King Recap
By Michael Bluth
Jan 28, 2009 - 12:14:13 PM

"The Wrestler" star Mickey Rourke and Chris Jericho appeared on Larry King Live last night to promote Rourke's movie and his tentative appearance at WrestleMania 25. Here are some of the wrestling-related highlights from the appearance:

-- When asked how the wrestling community accepted him, Mickey Rourke said at first he was nervous because he was visiting their world and it's a brotherhood. He said wrestling legends Roddy Piper, Ric Flair, Lex Luger, and Brutus Beefcake were invited to the movie premiere and he didn't care what anyone thought about the movie except for them. He said after the screening, Ric Flair came up to him and said "Hey, brother, you're one of us,", which Rourke said was the highest compliment he could have received. He said the comeraderie between them is very special.

-- Rourke said recently spoke with Vince McMahon. He compared what Vince did to pro wrestling to what Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas have done to films. "He's taken fat guys in Speedos from the old days and now these guys are in the gym, they're all fit, terribly athletic." Regarding Vince's character, he said, "I think he's a good dude. I think he has honorable intentions."

-- Chris Jericho joined the show via satellite. He told Larry he's seen the movie and liked Mickey's performance. "I thought that Mickey did a tremendous job and he hit the ball right out of the park. He made no mistakes in his performance as Randy the Ram."He added, "The movie represented the minor leagues of wrestling very well. It was a nice representation of what it's like to be on the way up and what it's like to be on the way down. It's not representing what I do in the WWE and who I am, for example, as the best in the world at what I do. I think Mickey's performance was immaculate, he made no mistakes, but I think he did make a mistake on the red carpet at the SAG awards where he mentioned WrestleMania and called me out because if he got his wish and had a confrontation with me at WrestleMania, I think the ending of the Jericho-Rourke movie would not turn out very well for Mr. Rourke as it did for 'The Wrestler.'"

-- Larry King took that to be a challenge and asked Mickey Rourke if he'd wrestle Chris Jericho. Rourke responded, "If it was up to me, no, it's not my world. I was a professional fighter. Would I box him in a boxing ring or a bare knuckle match, yeah. Wrestling, that's his world. That's what this man does." Jericho said, "Very interesting, Mr. Rourke. You should have thought before your spoke. Be careful what you wish for, it may come true."

-- After some more bantering, Jericho went back at Mickey and said "You offended me and that's the last thing you want to do is disrespect Chris Jericho, believe me. Because you may have respect for me and my world, but I don't have respect for you. I really don't."

Overall it was a good appearance. Jericho started off compimentary but quickly shifted to the instigator. Rourke said a few times that he'd be at WrestleMania but said he wanted to "take the high road" when Jericho challenged him directly. Larry King seemed to enjoy this potential big money match taking shape right in front of him.

wolfgang187

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »
Ric Flair Comments On A WrestleMania Appearance (Interview Recap)
By Brad Ingles
Jan 28, 2009 - 10:17:24 AM

Ric Flair confirmed in an interview with the Houston Chronicle that he would be at WrestleMania 25. “Let’s just say, I will be at Wrestlemania, and that’s all I’m saying,” Flair said.

Rourke said on the red carpet before the Screen Actors Guild Awards that Flair is teaching him some tricks.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
hahahaha! naw but we had to throw out the typical tards that wanna arm wrestle them or follow them around like little puppies asking them all kinds of lame questions.

Funny thing is, Chris took one of the strippers in the bathroom and got sum head ...... afterwards, she gave him her number.

He tore it up and threw it on the floor, so after we closed me and my buddy taped it back together and put it up front by the door where her BF worked. ;D

LOL true story.

haha, "boyfriend of a stripper" hahaha, epic delusions.

SS

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »
haha, "boyfriend of a stripper" hahaha, epic delusions.
hahahaha! yes!.........everybody was banging her but him. ;D

He was a real wiener.......He would claim to fight in local cage fights but he was never on the card and when he showed up to work..... he would have razor blade cuts above his eyes and wraps on his elbows or weird shit like that, but he was a pussy and would always "scream put me in a cage with him" ::)

So one night my friend choked him out...... it was so funny... even after that, he said put me in a cage with him and it will be different ;D

Oh also he would carry a pic of Chris Cook in his wallet and tell all the girls that was him when he was in the military.... hahahahahaha! I called it on him but that didn't stop him.