Author Topic: Industry News & Notes:  (Read 757911 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Industry News & Notes - Updated Weekly:
« Reply #1425 on: July 02, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
pwtorch-

Ring of Honor announced Monday they have signed ROH tag champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin to contracts.

Haas & Benjamin successfully defended the ROH Tag Titles at the "Best in the World" Internet PPV Sunday night. The tag champs are scheduled to defend the titles again on on July 8 in Richmond, Va. against opponents to be determined.

Haas & Benjamin are expected to be centerpiece stars of ROH's second TV run, which begins in September through Sinclair Broadcasting's syndicated TV stations.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1426 on: July 02, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
The following press release was sent in to WrestleZone.com:

Official Statement Regarding Bruno Sammartino

From “The Big Cheese” Sal Corrente
310-466-0123

We want to address any rumors regarding Bruno Sammartino and his current health situation. If you have read Bruno’s Autobiography you are aware that he had Rheumatic Fever as a child that caused damage to the valves in his heart. He was very sick for three plus years and came very close to dying as a child. It clearly didn’t affect him for many years he grew strong and had great stamina in the ring.

It was recently discovered that the valves had detriorated and had to be replaced immediately. He has had the surgery and began a rehabilitation process that should last around three months.

I have been told that Bruno’s doctor’s expect a full recovery and he should have the heart of a forty year old man when the rehab is complete.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1427 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
oh my........ ::)

During an interview with The Kingston Wigg Standard, former WWE star Billy Gunn was asked if he's ever looked back and realized how significant his place in WWE history is.

"No I really don't," Gunn said. "I'm extremely glad that I was part of that and that I had a partner and people around me that we could reach that level.

"I guess the only thing I really think of, is that when people look back, or think about me, that I just did the best that I could. It really wasn't all about me. It was about making other people good, or helping other people, or that at least my work was good and not crappy."

Gunn also feels he, Road Dogg, and Sean Waltman deserve a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame.

"I think we do," said Gunn. "I still think we have a place up there to work, not work wrestling-wise, but work to help the younger guys coming up. Do I think we deserve the hall of fame? Yeah, of course we do."

Gunn also believes he can bring back an element of fun back to WWE, something he feels is lacking today. The article notes that with the recent returns of 1990s stars such as The Rock and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin to WWE, Gunn's return could be inevitable.

"People are not really interested in that show too much," he said, referring to Monday Night Raw. "I don't want to say that for a fact, but there are really no stand-out guys. I mean, how long has John Cena been carrying that company? Forever.

"They're trying to get some of these guys back that the older generation, or the '90s generation, wants to see. There is really nobody on that show anymore that they want to see who is really a standout. Face it, The Rock, Stone Cold, DX, not only was it the wrestling, but it was the skits, or the attitude and all of that. They were just fun to watch. Not only the wrestling part, but the funny stuff. You never knew what we were going to do. They tuned in every Monday night just to see what kind of silly s--t we were going to pull off."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1428 on: July 03, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
ugh I agree with some of that but he's crazy if he thinks WWE will ever bring him back after the shit he's talked since leaving.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1429 on: July 05, 2011, 05:58:24 AM »
Michael Cole mentioned on RAW  Monday that Mason Ryan was injured over the weekend but he didn’t work any live events. F4Wonline.com reports that Ryan has suffered an injury out of the ring and will be away anywhere from six weeks to six months.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1430 on: July 05, 2011, 06:03:39 AM »
WWE wrestler C.M. Punk has addressed the news of him aiming a homophobic slur at a fan during a house show Monday in Australia, which was reported by TMZ. Punk posted the following on his Twitter page Monday night/Tuesday morning in Australia:

"I'm glad TMZ posted that video because everybody needs to be held accountable for their bullshit, me included. What I said was bullshit.

"I'm embarrassed. I own up to being a total douche in this situation and I offer a sincere apology to anybody I hurt with careless words."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1431 on: July 05, 2011, 06:12:43 AM »
Chris Jericho says he currently has no desire to return to pro wrestling. Jericho said in a new video interview this week that he is focused on touring with Fozzy, which the band plans to continue the rest of the year into 2012.

"It's not a given that I'm coming back," Jericho told Claire of OurHouse-Manchester.co.uk in an interview promoting Fozzy's current U.K. tour. "I don't know. Maybe never. There's no time frame on it either way."

Jericho expressed frustration with wrestling fans "demanding" an answer on when he's returning. He said he cannot provide a straight answer on his wrestling future, if there is one.

I kind of did everything I could do in wrestling and now that the band has so much momentum behind us the last two years, there's no reason to stop that," Jericho said. "I think a lot of people want this direct answer - and kind of expect it - but there is no expectation. As of right now, all I'm into is Fozzy."

Jericho said the band plans to return to Canada later this year, will likely return to the U.K. in November, and might travel to Japan in December and Australia in February 2012.

Regarding rumors of a potential match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania 28 next year, Jericho laughed and said, "I know nothing about that." He added: "There's nothing to know. If there was, I would tell you. As of right now, there's zero plans, zero talks."

Hypothetically, if he were to return, Jericho repeated what he's said in recent interviews that he would want to return to WWE with a new character.

"I just have no desire to go back to it right now," he said. "If I did, I would have to come up with something completely new. I would want to do something completely different if I even thought about it, but I haven't thought about it."

pwtorch.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1432 on: July 05, 2011, 06:17:02 AM »
ROH tag champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin will make their next title defense against TV champion El Generico & Colt Cabana, Ring of Honor announced Wednesday.

Haas & Benjamin's first title defense since signing ROH contracts will take place on the promotion's next show, July 8 in Richmond, Va.

Already announced for the following night, July 9 in Charlotte, N.C., is a steel cage match between Generico and Roderick Strong.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1433 on: July 05, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
Randy Orton noted on his twitter account that over half of the roster had items stolen from their checked luggage when they reached South Africa. His luggage was untouched. There were locks on the bags that were stolen from, but they were cut off.

pwinsider

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1434 on: July 06, 2011, 02:38:47 PM »
The entire landscape has changed in the past 24 hours or so when it comes to CM Punk and WWE, WrestleZone has learned exclusively. According to a key WWE insider, talent relations executive John Laurinaitis, who has recently been under fire for failing to re-sign Punk, is now caught in a very political game of WWE viewing Punk as a "maintenance issue" (that's the term that was used today) instead of a "must-sign talent."

"It's a weird situation," we were told this evening, "WWE realizes Punk's promo was the proverbial lightning in a bottle, but the company is very protective when it comes to public image right now, as evidenced by the fact they made (John) Cena apologize, Michael Cole go to sensitivity classes, and even fired Fit Finlay for a public relations mishap at a live event!"

"The next few days will be very interesting," a former production big wig told WrestleZone, "creative has to pitch Vince (McMahon) next week's TV shows. How they handle Punk in Boston will be the tell-tale of what's going to happen with CM Punk and WWE!"

We'll have much more on this breaking story as it continues to develop.

credit: wrestlezone.com

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1435 on: July 09, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
http://allwrestling.com/News/37998/wwe-superstars-update-lesnar-deal/

- Regarding the new business deal between Brock Lesnar and WWE, the latest is that the contract hasn't been signed but the details on the deal have been worked out and people close to it are talking like it's done. The deal hasn't been announced yet because there are so many parties involved - Lesnar, Paul Heyman, Vince McMahon & WWE, Dana White & UFC, as well as others. If one of those parties has a change of heart, the whole deal will fall apart. As we have noted before, this is not a deal for Lesnar and Heyman to return to WWE TV, the storylines or anything like that.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1436 on: July 09, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Gail Kim posted several messages on her Twitter account criticizing WWE creative for not utilizing the Divas to their fullest extent.

Kim wrote the following regarding her match last week with Beth Phoenix on WWE Superstars: “Thank u! The response of our match has been unbelievable and it was TRULY a dream come true. Imagine if we were given a storyline or some more time behind it! Sigh….”

She then wrote the following in response to a Twitter follower wishing WWE would bring former Women’s Champion Trish Stratus back to the fold: “There’s not a lack of talent, it’s the lack of time, storylines and use of talent!”

Kim then wrote a message to Stratus longing for days gone by: “I would love to go back to what we had back in those years! Those were like ironwoman matches back then compared to now lol.”

Following Kim’s critical messages, a follower remarked to Kim: “Instead of bitching; why don’t you leave? People could perceive your tweets a bad attitude?” Kim, however, feels she’s telling the truth.

She responded, “Oh thats not #!@%*#ing lol just the truth and I don’t live my life based on what people perceive. Can’t please everyone all the time.”

Kim then said she’s happy to be a regular on WWE Superstars because she gets to “wrestle.”

“Sometimes I don’t realize how long I haven’t been on RAW because I still wrestle on superstars,” Kim wrote. “Which I love because I get to WRESTLE for longer than 3 min and actually have singles matches! Hopefully soon…))”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1437 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »
Observer-

Several key WWE sources have informed us that the new priority for talent executive John Laurinaitis is to re-sign Rey Mysterio, whose contract expires early in 2012.

"Laurinaitis has a lot of egg on his face right now," we were told, "think about all the talent that has refused to re-sign. Jericho wouldn't re-sign.Batista wouldn't re-sign. MVP wouldn't re-sign. Punk won't re-sign. Even undercard wrestlers like Chavo (Guerrero) won't re-sign right now. Laurinaitis needs a key re-signing to keep his corporate credibility alive right now!"

With the serious fallout from CM Punk's homophobic remarks in Australia, Laurinaitis has targeted keeping Rey Mysterio in the fold as a demonstration to WWE Chairman Vince McMahon he still has the talent under control. "Laurinaitis always had big shoes to fill since he took over from Jim Ross," we were told, "now he has to produce results. This is going to be very interesting to watch!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1438 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
Ring of Honorstar Claudio Castagnoli was interviewed by Arda Ocal and Jimmy Korderas this week for the Right After Wrestling radio show, which you can hear at TheScore.com.

Castagnoli, who recently had a WWE tryout along with his Kings of Wrestling tag team partner Chris Hero, had this to say about the possibility of working for WWE:

“I think I would prefer to go as a package with Chris Hero. But I would be comfortable working there on my own. We have a the unique ability to perform in a singles environment and in a tag environment. I think we definitely have very good chemistry and we have greater potential as a team.”

Many wrestlers who are successful in ROH or TNA never catch on in WWE the way many fans would hope. When asked whether the Kings of Wrestling would do well in WWE, Claudio said:

“I think we could survive in the right circumstances. We have the tools to flourish in any wrestling company. We both have unique abilities to talk. Both Chris (Hero) and I are both really good singles wrestlers and tag wrestlers so I think we bring a lot to the table there. And the next step is to bring in actual teams (into the WWE) and not just two singles-wrestlers coming together. That’s what’s missing – actual teams that look alike and seem to have been a team for a long time.”

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1439 on: July 11, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
pwtorch-

Former WWE wrestler/agent Finlay addressed the reported circumstances that led to WWE firing him earlier this year in an interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine, with excerpts printed by the U.K. Sun.

Finlay recalled instructing a technician to play The Miz's music during the U.S. National Anthem at a house show in March, which upset U.S. military personnel in attendance.

"So, my spur-of-the-moment call, as I sat right by the technician, was to tell him to hit Miz's music while they were half-way through the national anthem," Finlay said.

"Of course, people were up in arms about it, but it was a good reaction as a heel. But, there were National Guard people in the building that took exception to it, and I understand that fully.

"It wasn't intended to insult anybody in that way - it was just part of an entertaining show. That's what we do, we entertain - it's about cheers and boos."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1440 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
pwtorch-

Former WWE wrestler/agent Finlay addressed the reported circumstances that led to WWE firing him earlier this year in an interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine, with excerpts printed by the U.K. Sun.

Finlay recalled instructing a technician to play The Miz's music during the U.S. National Anthem at a house show in March, which upset U.S. military personnel in attendance.

"So, my spur-of-the-moment call, as I sat right by the technician, was to tell him to hit Miz's music while they were half-way through the national anthem," Finlay said.

"Of course, people were up in arms about it, but it was a good reaction as a heel. But, there were National Guard people in the building that took exception to it, and I understand that fully.

"It wasn't intended to insult anybody in that way - it was just part of an entertaining show. That's what we do, we entertain - it's about cheers and boos."

They actually wanted Bob Slaughter to burn an American flag when he was working the "Iraqi-sympathizer" angle.
He flat out refused.
According to some, the WM7 venue was changed due to receiving death threats over the story line, as well.

There are some things people take very seriously, even in a "fake sport."   

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1441 on: July 11, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
pwinsider

Former WWE creative team member Court Bauer wrote on Twitter account yesterday that Ed Koskey has been promoted to the head writer of Smackdown.

Koskey is replacing Michael Hayes, who was the head writer of SmackDown for several years.

Hayes will be scaling back his duties on the creative end and will focus on managing WWE’s agents/producers.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1442 on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
The 7/11 edition of Raw did a 2.9 rating, with 4,386,000 viewers. The show did hours of 2.86 and 2.96. That is up from last week's holiday number but still down from the yearly average.

pwinsider

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1443 on: July 12, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
pwtorch

Chris Jericho and his band, Fozzy, were involved in a tour bus accident Monday in Europe that left the bus "trashed." 

Jericho and Fozzy are currently on a summer tour performing throughout Europe. Jericho says he and the other members of his band are fine. Jericho posted details of the accident on Twitter Tuesday:

"Last night as I was riding on the Anthrax bus, Fozzy's bus was in an accident. The band is okay, thank God, but the bus is trashed so we won't be able to play the show in Denmark tonight. Hamburg is still on for tomorrow.

"It's a miracle nobody got hurt, as the bus skidded on two wheels for 50 feet and the side door was completely torn off. Say a prayer for the boys and stay tuned for more info.

"Now I'm on a train from Aarhaus to Hamburg with nothing but a toothbrush and a pair of flip flops. Could be worse..."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1444 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
Ring of Honor has announced the first talent roster for their first TV taping under the Sinclair Broadcasting banner on August 13 in Chicago.

ROH has also announced all three titles - ROH World Title, ROH TV Title, and ROH Tag Titles - will be defended at the first TV taping. The first title match will be announced on Thursday.

The announced talent roster includes:

-- ROH World champion Davey Richards, who will defend the ROH Title at the taping.

-- ROH tag champions Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas, who will defend the Tag Titles

-- ROH TV champion El Generico, who will defend the TV Title

-- Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero)

-- Former ROH World champion Eddie Edwards

-- Former ROH tag champions Jay and Mark Briscoe

-- The All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King)

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1445 on: July 14, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
Source: PWInsider.com

A research group is holding invited focus groups in New York City asking men and women from 18-54 who are WWE fans or former WWE fans to talk about the WWE product including what they like and why they've stopped watching if they are lapsed fans.

The groups are an attempt by the company to figure out ways to bring fans back and identify problems in the way the current product is promoted and marketed.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1446 on: July 14, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »

For what it’s worth, Colt Cabana, who Punk mentioned on the air again, has told at least one promotion he’s worked with regularly that he’s not taking any more dates with them after next month. He also was involved in an injury angle that could write him out of NWA Hollywood. In addition, he did not sign an ROH contract. Cabana, Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli are the only key wrestlers who haven’t signed new ROH deals that were still being used. Hero and Castagnoli are still expected to be WWE bound even though they are advertised for the first ROH TV tapings in Chicago next month, as they are doing the pre-signing procedure of getting the full physical and having their backgrounds checked.

-WON

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1447 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
Observer

Randy Orton garnered a lot of heat from both talent and company officials regarding alarming comments he made two weeks ago during an interview with Phoenix, Arizona based rock station 98KUPD. "The Viper" candidly discussed his past drug abuse, knocked the actresses who have portrayed his wife on television, claimed The Rock needs a teleprompter to cut his promos and besmirched slutty Divas Champion Kelly Kelly.

One WWE source noted that if a mid-level wrestler uttered a quarter of the startling remarks Orton made, he would be due for an "MVP/Carlito like career burial." However, Orton is able to get away without facing repercussions because he's considered one of the company's "big three golden boys."

His comments regarding Kelly garnered a unanimously negative reaction. While she has been romantically linked to numerous wrestlers, many feel he shouldn't have made it public since it goes against the wholesome image WWE portrays her and other female performers. Many people also consider Kelly a genuinely nice whore and didn't deserve to be singled out as promiscuous.

Spured on by the show hosts, Orton implied that he could name ten wrestlers who have slept with Kelly. He later issued a formal apology to her via Twitter.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #1448 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »
Many people also consider Kelly a genuinely nice whore...

Well, at least she'll have good references when applying for future jobs.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #1449 on: July 14, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

Well, at least she'll have good references when applying for future jobs.
lol if you're going to be a whore, at least be a nice one.