Author Topic: GetBig's Home Gym Experts  (Read 7653 times)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
Re: GetBig's Home Gym Experts
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
Barbell and dumbbells.  I made a bench out of two paint cans and a cupboard door, with another two smaller cans as the headrest.  I'm not gonna say it's comfortable, but it gets the job done.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
Barbell and dumbbells.  I made a bench out of two paint cans and a cupboard door, with another two smaller cans as the headrest.  I'm not gonna say it's comfortable, but it gets the job done.
Dude hit up the garage sales on the weekend. You can get benchs for under $20.
A

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »
Dude hit up the garage sales on the weekend. You can get benchs for under $20.

I have enough money for a bench but I haven't gotten round to buying one yet.  Thanks, yeah I'll check the local paper to see what people are selling.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »
Hit up Craigslist, Play it Again Sports, Flea Markets & Scrap Metal yards (Ive gotten tons of plates and solid dummbells at scrap yards for 20 cents a pound)...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »

Lol.  Eye of the tiger baby!  Monster weight right there btw.  ;)

4 post power rack with high & low cable (or fully adjustable) & dipping bars & a chin bar.  A crossover system like the pic you posted would be really nice (although I'd want to be able to adjust the handle height), but that setup lacks safety bars (which are essential), the ability to rack the bar outside the cage (for overhead pressing if you're over 5'4), and the pec deck and dip station add a lot of size and are totally unnecessary (if you can do crossovers why do pec deck?).

For DBs, have a look at plate selection and what adjustable DB bars will accomodate.  I chose oly for DBs even tho my barbell is a standard because the standard diameter DB bars and available plates wouldn't give enough weight for benching without sacrificing range of motion (the bar needed fatter diameter plates to get the weight up).  The oly DBs were a little longer and had 7.5kg plates which were unavailable for standard bar.  Also GET SOME POWERHOOKS if you can.  Fuck I wish I could get ahold of some.  I have 4 heavy duty garden hooks duct taped to each of my oly DBs.  :-\  I've got a range of cast DBs which are great for drop sets, and just plain convenience, but as they get heavier the cost ($3 a kg here) just becomes too stupid to pay.

Include in your setup budget the cost of going to see a good PT or lifting coach for at least an hour or two.  Discuss past injuries if any, pain or discomfort during particular lifts and the cause/solution, assess your ROM and flexibility, and look at your form.

Last, set aside your most ripped assed threadbare pair of underwear.  Do not throw it away.  This is now your workout outfit.  ;D  Lifting at home rocks!

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »

Living the dream  ::)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »
If starting from scratch the price of a home gym can really creep up when adding equipment you think you need, but may never use. If you want to keep it simple, and to the point, than a Power Rack.  Olympic bar (with plates starting at 1 1/4) and a sturdy adjustable flat/incline bench also. Set of adjustable DB's. If you have the bucks, and room, than invest in a complete DB's rack. Warning much $$$$$$$.

Good idea about Craigs list, newspaper ad's, yard sells or even bulletin boards a community centers, stores, etc. Even can put a wanted list or run ad's yourself. Any local gym's, in your area, going out of business or who want to sell older (but still good) equipment? If you do see a good price on what you want, but it has to be shipped, than check the shipping prices per pound. Sometimes the shipping can almost be almost as much as the equipment you are buying. If you got a pickup, and not too far, go get it yourself.

Surprise The Pumpster has not given his expert advise on a BowFlex. The one piece of equipment that transformed him into the mountain of muscle he is today. If you get a BowFlex, I am sure he will come over and help you set it up. He might even stay a couple of night (wanting to share you bed I bet) to make sure you are using it the Pumpster way.
F

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 09:00:38 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »
If starting from scratch the price of a home gym can really creep up when adding equipment you think you need, but may never use. If you want to keep it simple, and to the point, than a Power Rack.  Olympic bar (with plates starting at 1 1/4) and a sturdy adjustable flat/incline bench also. Set of adjustable DB's. If you have the bucks, and room, than invest in a complete DB's rack. Warning much $$$$$$$.

Good idea about Craigs list, newspaper ad's, yard sells or even bulletin boards a community centers, stores, etc. Even can put a wanted list or run ad's yourself. Any local gym's, in your area, going out of business or who want to sell older (but still good) equipment? If you do see a good price on what you want, but it has to be shipped, than check the shipping prices per pound. Sometimes the shipping can almost be almost as much as the equipment you are buying. If you got a pickup, and not too far, go get it yourself.

Surprise The Pumpster has not given his expert advise on a BowFlex. The one piece of equipment that transformed him into the mountain of muscle he is today. If you get a BowFlex, I am sure he will come over and help you set it up. He might even stay a couple of night (wanting to share you bed I bet) to make sure you are using it the Pumpster way.

Brutal obsession..Am i in this dweeb's mind or what... ;D The babbling never ceases. :P

The Coach

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:24 AM »
Stay away from those gay ass machines and train like a man

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »
For the macho men obsessed with the idea that weights are always better, i suggest that's actually kinda lame. For this niche i submit that weights are actually a poor substitute for the real thing..keep it raw budday...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
A

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »

The Coach

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
Your saying that machines are the real thing??

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »
Check out Pro Elite.  They make commercial grade equipment with affordable prices. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »
Your not asking me, but i give your my opinion anyway.   ;D
machines are great for somethings. I love the hack squat,  pec deck, cable row, and hammertec iso machines at my gym. So yes, machines, can give you a "real' workout. But free weights are were it's at tho.
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

Sometimes better, just as someone named Sergio Oliva said. All this BS about free weights is laughable, it's just a macho thing.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »

now that is fuccking sweet, how much is that whole setup?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »

I'll buy that with the stimulus check Mr. Obama sends me.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 02:29:14 PM »
That EFS monorack's around 4K, in the league of something like the Titan T1.

http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=301&m=PD&pid=2785

mar10s

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 06:15:30 PM »
Check out Hammer Strength...we always have a "phase out" list every month or so and we always have racks and half racks on there...usually for a good price.

The Coach

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Sometimes better, just as someone named Sergio Oliva said. All this BS about free weights is laughable, it's just a macho thing.

That was back before they new any better.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
That was back before they new any better.

"New"? Actually alot of the principles haven't changed much since then, and he said that relatively recently after having started out in Olympic lifting in the 60s. Exactly what's changed recently.. ???

The Coach

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
Sorry "knew". Nothing has changed that much in bodybuilding or Olympic lifts for that matter, that being said, everything else has.

But if you are comparing Olympic vs. Bodybuilding, its like comparing apples and oranges.

I fall into the catagory where you don't need olympic lifts to be explosive. If you want to look pretty, stick with isolation with machines, if you want to strong, thick, powerful and functional stick with weights. Back when Oliva probably said that machines were not anywhere as they are now. You actually think he got that freaking think from machines?