Author Topic: School can expel lesbian students, court rules  (Read 7710 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: School can expel lesbian students, court rules
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
Ummmm……the “written rule” is part of the school’s Statement of Faith. And, even though I haven’t seen it online, it’s likely also part of the school handbook. Again, as a former student of a Christian high school, I can tell you first-hand that they have such items, that spell out the rules (ESPECIALLY, when it comes to sexual conduct), in no uncertain terms.

They weren't expelled for mere suspicion, Straw Man. What part of that don't you get? They have ADMITTED to being lesbians: They told their classmates and (perhaps) the principal and they put it on their respective MySpace pages, seen by their teacher and at least one other student.

Plus, when asked outright, they never denied it their lesbanism and, instead, tried to accuse the principal of getting fresh with them.

Besides all of that, do you REALLY think that these girls had no clue that their church and school believe homosexuality to be wrong? If that were the case, then they would have either admitted it or denied it. Their silence speaks louder than anything. There was too much evidence for them to try and lie their way out of it; but a blatant admission would have assured their expulsion. So, they gambled that by keeping quiet and claiming the principal was a pervert, they would escape the consequences. They lost that bet.

Plus, as mentioned earlier, the fact that they filed an anti-discrimination suit, NOT A WRONGFUL EXPULSION suit, also proves that the principal was right from the start.

I'm sure the choice of the type of suit was their attornies and not the girls

The school discrimination against these girls has proved to be legal

That's all that matters

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
Right.  Good points, especially about the basis of their claim.   

Another way to look at this is if the girls would claimed to be lesbians when they applied for admission, the school would denied their applications. 

I don't care at all if these kids are gay or not.

The hearsay from their "friends" is irrelevent

The principal put each girl in a room and grilled them on intimate details of their personal life - I find that to be offensive and disgusting

In the end all he could get was that they had a bond charactertic of being gay

Either way, that was enough to discriminate against them and it's proven to be legal.

Congratulation to the principal for protecting his students from these two sinners

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »
I don't care at all if these kids are gay or not.

The hearsay from their "friends" is irrelevent

The principal put each girl in a room and grilled them on intimate details of their personal life - I find that to be offensive and disgusting

In the end all he could get was that they had a bond charactertic of being gay

Either way, that was enough to discriminate against them and it's proven to be legal.

Congratulation to the principal for protecting his students from these two sinners

When their personal lives clash with school policy, which these girls agreed to follow, it becomes the principal's business.

The student's testimony isn't "hearsay". He/she is the one that pointed out the website, with the information which the teacher saw.

The simple fact is that these girls were in violation of the school's policy, which was grounds for their expulsion. The principal did nothing outside of his authority to do. What's irrelevant here is your attempt to villify the principal and the school, simply because you don't agree with the school's stance on homosexuality.

The girls knew the rules, agreed to abide by those rules, and they broke them; hence, they got the boot.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »
Again - I'd like to know what other kids were expelled for violating the statement of faith and how many who did violate it in one way or another and are still walking the halls.

Example - here's another part of their statement of faith:

"We believe that the universe, the world, and the human race came into existence in the beginning when God created heaven and earth and all creatures (Genesis 1,2). Further testimony to this event is found in other passages of the Old and New Testaments (for example, Exodus 20:11; Hebrews 11:3). The creation happened in the course of six consecutive days of normal length by the power of God’s almighty word."

"We believe that the Bible presents a true, factual, and historical account of creation"

Now since you don't have to be member of their church to attend school there what do you think the odds are that there are some smart kids are walking around those halls who don't believe these two particular parts of the Statement of Faith.

Anyway - in the end who really cares. The girls lost their case and learned a lesson about the ugliness of discrimination and the ugliness of religious institutions.  The school got the two evil doers out of their school so now they are safe from knowing that gay people or people they think might be homosexual are in their school.   Success?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
Bum,

would you be OK with an adult male interrogating your teenaged daughter about her sexual activities without your consent or presence?

I take issue with this part... As a parent, I'd sue the school because my daughters rights to have a parent present during any type of questioning have probably been stripped illegally.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:55 AM »
Again - I'd like to know what other kids were expelled for violating the statement of faith and how many who did violate it in one way or another and are still walking the halls.

Example - here's another part of their statement of faith:

"We believe that the universe, the world, and the human race came into existence in the beginning when God created heaven and earth and all creatures (Genesis 1,2). Further testimony to this event is found in other passages of the Old and New Testaments (for example, Exodus 20:11; Hebrews 11:3). The creation happened in the course of six consecutive days of normal length by the power of God’s almighty word."

"We believe that the Bible presents a true, factual, and historical account of creation"

Now since you don't have to be member of their church to attend school there what do you think the odds are that there are some smart kids are walking around those halls who don't believe these two particular parts of the Statement of Faith.

Anyway - in the end who really cares. The girls lost their case and learned a lesson about the ugliness of discrimination and the ugliness of religious institutions.  The school got the two evil doers out of their school so now they are safe from knowing that gay people or people they think might be homosexual are in their school.   Success?

Your claim about the “ugliness” in that institution, because the folks there won’t cowtow to the notion of homosexuality not being sinful is spurious at best.

They agree that they would follow the school guidelines, only to break them. The fact that the school’s principal did his job and executed disciplinary action accordingly doesn’t make him or the school “ugly” or “discriminatory” in the least.

Once again, you presume ignorance on the part of these girls and their parents, as if the notion that homosexuality is wrong, per Christian standards, just came out last week. These girls were fully aware of the church and the school’s stance on the matter.

As for your jab at the school’s Statement of Faith, with regards to Creation, not believing in Creation doesn’t put a student in any more trouble, than not believing in evolution would a Christian student at a public school. I know that firsthand, as well, courtesy of my 10th grade experience in biology class. I passed that class with relative ease (Truth be told, the evolution-based class’ work was easier than that of the Creation-based biology class I took at private school the previous semester).

There may be others who violated the school's rule but haven't been caught. That's irrelevant; these girls did get caught and were punished appropriately. It's like speeding on the highway. If the cops pull YOU over for doing that, blubbering about how many other drivers were speeding isn't going to help you one bit. YOU still did it and got nailed.