Author Topic: 'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On Public Transit Buses and in Subways  (Read 15427 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On TTC Vehicles,
Spark Heated Debate

Thursday January 29, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

It's certainly not everyone's opinion, and it may or may not be yours - but if you're a transit user in this city you'll soon be seeing that message frequently.

It's part of a controversial ad campaign by the Toronto-based Freethought Association of Canada that has been approved by the TTC to appear on buses and inside subway cars.

The spots, which were given the thumbs up by the transit commission late Wednesday, are already sparking heated debate. Charles McVety, president of the Canada Christian College in Toronto, calls them out-and-out attack ads. The evangelical leader said he hasn't decided whether the group he heads up, the Canada Family Action Coalition, will formally complain about them once they start appearing on the transit vehicles.

The ads were used in a similar campaign in Britain recently, and they've also adorned buses in Spain.

CityNews.ca spoke with Rabbi Reuven Tradburks of the Council for Orthodox Rabbis in Toronto to get his take.

"I think the issue has to be divided into two things: What is our personal reaction to an ad of that sort, and what's the legal status of it? I think that legally, there's freedom of speech and people can advertise whatever they want. There is always a certain point where it crosses what is appropriate for advertising in general, but there's freedom of speech and people can do what they like," he explains.

"I think on another level, personally, to see an ad that promotes or encourages people to adopt a view which rejects God in their life and therefore you can do whatever you want, that's personally offending to me. I don't like to see that, and it bothers me to see it."

The Freethought Association, for its part, says the atheist messages aren't meant to attack people's religious beliefs but to promote dialogue.

"People welcome this. They may not agree with our point of view but they welcome the challenge, and the dialogue, and support our right to freedom of speech," said Association spokesperson Justin Trottier.

Promote dialogue they have - Torontonians asked what they thought of the soon-to-appear spots had a lot to say.

"We are living in a multicultural country. That's their right to express their belief," said Willy Rablora. "But for me, whatever I see, I just read it, that's it."

And George Van Luven noted, "Personally, it doesn't affect me - I'm sure a lot of people would be upset."

"I think it's a good message," Doug Welsh opines. "Don't worry about it, just get on with your life."

But Erica Pugcaliwangan suggests, "It's inappropriate. It's kind of offending to some people that do believe in God."

In a CityNews phone poll, 4020 respondents said 'Yes' they were offended by the ads, while 2543 respondents said 'No' they weren't. On CityNews.ca, our web poll found more people on the other side of the debate - 674 people said they were off-put by the spots, while 767 people said they weren't.

The TTC says the ads, which are supposed to start appearing in mid-February, don't violate any of the transit commission's rules, however the decision to approve them could be reviewed if there are complaints.

"Under the Ontario Human Rights Commission atheism is defined as a creed or a religion so we are required to run it," TTC Chair Adam Giambrone explained.

The Freethought Association now plans to use a portion of the tens of thousands of dollars in donations it raised through a site called www.atheistbus.ca to post similar ads in Calgary and Halifax.

w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: 'No God' Ads, Soon To Appear On Public Transit Buses and in Subways
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
I think its kind of funny and it should at the very least provoke thought and the questioning of organized religion.

That being said, it's in my opinion a monumental WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

So what?  You don't believe in GOD and someone else does.  You both need to keep it to your selves.  Or just debate it on forums, not advertise publicly. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
Yeah.  This is dumb.  More atheists spending an inordinate amount of time talking about something they don't believe in. 

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »
I have seen many god/church advertisements.  I think it is only fair for another group to have their own opinion/agenda especially since there are millions of atheists.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »
No one is restricting it.

It's just silly and its a waste.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:36:20 PM »
Shows how mindless they are to throw money away like that

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
I have seen many god/church advertisements.  I think it is only fair for another group to have their own opinion/agenda especially since there are millions of atheists.

The issue isn't fairness. It's about how DUMB it is for folks to spend that much money, yelping about someone they DON'T believe to exist.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
The issue isn't fairness. It's about how DUMB it is for folks to spend that much money, yelping about someone they DON'T believe to exist.

I bet you don't think it is dumb to worship something that you could not possibly have any proof of huh? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »
I bet you don't think it is dumb to worship something that you could not possibly have any proof of huh? 

Number one, Who says that I can't possibly have any proof? I have enough proof, personally, to believe that God exists. Whether you or anyone else thinks I don't (or what I have is not enough isn't really my concern).

Number two, that question of yours just makes my point even more. If you believe that God doesn't exist, simply because you don't think there's enough proof, why would you spend that much time, money, and energy, wailing about it?

Perhaps, a better sign would be, "If there is no God, why do you atheists keep complaining about Him? Maybe YOU need to quit worrying and enjoy your life!"

Also interesting is the facts that the Canadians, according to their laws, deem atheism as a religion, which is why they're required to run those ads (if they also run ads for Christian organizations). Yet, when I mentioned that atheism was a religion, with man effectively worshipping himself, a number of non-believers here got a bit testy about it. Why is that?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »

the point of it is to envoke thought and possibly end religion which affects atheists in negative ways.. and is at the center of much of the conflict in the world. Not to mention the billion dollar industry and money wasted by religion which exceeds atheistic spending 100 fold. Its about stopping indoctrination of children, and having people think for themselves.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
Number one, Who says that I can't possibly have any proof? I have enough proof, personally, to believe that God exists. Whether you or anyone else thinks I don't (or what I have is not enough isn't really my concern).

Number two, that question of yours just makes my point even more. If you believe that God doesn't exist, simply because you don't think there's enough proof, why would you spend that much time, money, and energy, wailing about it?

Perhaps, a better sign would be, "If there is no God, why do you atheists keep complaining about Him? Maybe YOU need to quit worrying and enjoy your life!"

Also interesting is the facts that the Canadians, according to their laws, deem atheism as a religion, which is why they're required to run those ads (if they also run ads for Christian organizations). Yet, when I mentioned that atheism was a religion, with man effectively worshipping himself, a number of non-believers here got a bit testy about it. Why is that?

If you guys werent trying to take over the world, or hoping for the end of civilization with the return of christ we would. Perhaps when religion stfu and stops blurring the line between church and state. Perhaps when the former president doesnt say things like atheists shouldnt be considered citizens they will.

proof is irrelavant to the observer, evidence if objective or even subjective can be verified by everyone, i dont accept your proof because it is illogical.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:18:43 AM »

:)
Excellent!

W

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
the point of it is to envoke thought and possibly end religion which affects atheists in negative ways.. and is at the center of much of the conflict in the world. Not to mention the billion dollar industry and money wasted by religion which exceeds atheistic spending 100 fold. Its about stopping indoctrination of children, and having people think for themselves.

Children are indoctrinated in a number of things. There's no difference between your indoctrinating your children (current or future) that there is no God and my indoctrinating my chidren that there is one.

Plus, your assertion that those with religious beliefs don't think for themselves is a rather foolish one. This may come as a shock to you, but a number of people who are Christians became such IN THEIR ADULT LIVES.

As for spending, yep, religious institutions just chuck away their dollars on silly things like: schools, food banks, homeless shelters, humanitarian programs, drug and alcohol recovery centers, hospitals, shelters for battered women, etc.

The interesting thing is that I don't see a whole lot of these items funded by the anti-God cryers (How many Darwin shelters and food banks are there again?) Maybe, I've missed something, here. Maybe, if some of your buddies actually put your money where your rather-loud mouths are and actually helped your fellow man, instead of flapping your gums, trying to convince them (or more likely, YOURSELVES) how smart you are because you don't believe there's a God, many of you wouldn't come across as a bunch of stuck-up jerks.

If you guys werent trying to take over the world, or hoping for the end of civilization with the return of christ we would. Perhaps when religion stfu and stops blurring the line between church and state. Perhaps when the former president doesnt say things like atheists shouldnt be considered citizens they will.

proof is irrelavant to the observer, evidence if objective or even subjective can be verified by everyone, i dont accept your proof because it is illogical.

I missed the memo where I'm supposed to care whether you accept my proof or not.

Obsessing over something that you claim doesn't exist is "illogical", too. But that hasn't stopped you from wailing about it, every chance you get. As for your claim about "blurring the line between church and state", last time I checked, there was something in the Declaration of Independence about a "Creator" endowing man with inalienable rights. Why don't read that for a change, before you continue to bleat about "church and state".

As. Dr Martin Luther King stated, the church should be neither the master nor the slave to the state, but its conscience. It's funny how you don't seem to have a problem with such "blurring", when it comes to items like stealing, murder, theft, obedience to parents by children, adultery, covetousness, etc. (i.e. the last six commandments of the Decalogue).

Or, as I said a couple months ago, I see no legions of atheists demanding to work during late December time or giving their Christmas bonuses back.

Instead, the oh-so-intellectual non-believers (while preaching about not worrying and enjoying life) have heart attacks every December, when they see a Nativity scene. Or, they go into epileptic shock when a kid commits the unspeakable horror of thanking God for his peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich at lunch time. And, don't let the valedictorian thank the Lord for his/her success at commencement. The godless geniuses will go nuts!!!

I'm sorry!!! Who was that doing all the "worrying" again?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »
Children are indoctrinated in a number of things. There's no difference between your indoctrinating your children (current or future) that there is no God and my indoctrinating my chidren that there is one.

Plus, your assertion that those with religious beliefs don't think for themselves is a rather foolish one. This may come as a shock to you, but a number of people who are Christians became such IN THEIR ADULT LIVES.

As for spending, yep, religious institutions just chuck away their dollars on silly things like: schools, food banks, homeless shelters, humanitarian programs, drug and alcohol recovery centers, hospitals, shelters for battered women, etc.

The interesting thing is that I don't see a whole lot of these items funded by the anti-God cryers (How many Darwin shelters and food banks are there again?) Maybe, I've missed something, here. Maybe, if some of your buddies actually put your money where your rather-loud mouths are and actually helped your fellow man, instead of flapping your gums, trying to convince them (or more likely, YOURSELVES) how smart you are because you don't believe there's a God, many of you wouldn't come across as a bunch of stuck-up jerks.

churches waste more money on shit then i can fathom, why the fancy churches? counter to jesus's beliefs. What does darwin have to do with atheism? thats like saying gravitationists dont have food banks and attributing people who are swayed by the evidence of gravity as atheists. Terrible strawman argument, and a piss poor one also.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/world/europe/09nazi.html?_r=1

so random wasting of money, here is 2.4 mil for the atrocities they committed, of course its our money.

The church in vatican city is worth millions, quite extravagant for no apparent reason.

also, how does an atheist indoctrinate his child with no doctrine? It is a lack of belief, the fact that you keep repeating the same ignorant statements makes me think you have a completely closed mind. There is all kinds of non religious charitable orginizations, your point

religion isn't needed for shelters, homes etc... your argument doesnt follow.

"Instead, the oh-so-intellectual non-believers (while preaching about not worrying and enjoying life) have heart attacks every December, when they see a Nativity scene. Or, they go into epileptic shock when a kid commits the unspeakable horror of thanking God for his peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich at lunch time. And, don't let the valedictorian thank the Lord for his/her success at commencement. The godless geniuses will go nuts!!!"

why should christians be allowed preference? are you a bigot? all or nothing, you seem to think you deserve to have christian propaganda on government property even though its unconstitutional. What about hindus? muslims? atheists?pagans? screw them all, christianity deserves a special place and should be allowed to steamroll everyone.

"Or, as I said a couple months ago, I see no legions of atheists demanding to work during late December time or giving their Christmas bonuses back"

christmas is not a christian holiday, it is the winter solistice first celebrated by the pagans. You can try and claim it as your own but you would be lying.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
churches waste more money on shit then i can fathom, why the fancy churches? counter to jesus's beliefs. What does darwin have to do with atheism? thats like saying gravitationists dont have food banks and attributing people who are swayed by the evidence of gravity as atheists. Terrible strawman argument, and a piss poor one also. ::)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/09/world/europe/09nazi.html?_r=1

"Piss poor" would be your feeble attempt to pretend as if atheists haven't (for all practical purposes) deified one Charles Darwin. At, the very least, he has prophet status i, the religion of atheism.

so random wasting of money, here is 2.4 mil for the atrocities they committed, of course its our money.

The church in vatican city is worth millions, quite extravagant for no apparent reason.

also, how does an atheist indoctrinate his child with no doctrine? It is a lack of belief, the fact that you keep repeating the same ignorant statements makes me think you have a completely closed mind. There is all kinds of non religious charitable orginizations, your point

Atheism, as we know it today, is ANYTHING but a mere lack of belief. It has and continues to be a deliberate attack and belittling of religion and people of faith. Calling yourself "freethinkers", implying that those who believe in God are "slaves". Or, referring to yourselfs as "brights", hinting that people of faith are "dim". Again, why are you guys blubbering and whining about someone whom you don't believe exists?

religion isn't needed for shelters, homes etc... your argument doesnt follow.

So, where are the numerous shelters and food banks, run by atheists, then? Go to any such place, and there's a 80% chance (and that's being conservative) that it's run directly or indirectly by a religious insitutition.

"Instead, the oh-so-intellectual non-believers (while preaching about not worrying and enjoying life) have heart attacks every December, when they see a Nativity scene. Or, they go into epileptic shock when a kid commits the unspeakable horror of thanking God for his peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich at lunch time. And, don't let the valedictorian thank the Lord for his/her success at commencement. The godless geniuses will go nuts!!!"

why should christians be allowed preference? are you a bigot? all or nothing, you seem to think you deserve to have christian propaganda on government property even though its unconstitutional. What about hindus? muslims? atheists?pagans? screw them all, christianity deserves a special place and should be allowed to steamroll everyone.

In other words, like a spoiled brat, you and other atheists of your ilk have a classic case of that green-eyed monster, JEALOUSY. Again, check your history books. The founders of this country believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and (SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!), they wanted to celebrate His birth by making Christmas a federal holiday, which they have every right to do.

"What about hindus? muslims? atheists?pagans?" What about them? This is (at least, on its face) a Christian nation. I don't go to Saudi Arabia and wail about there not being enough churches or no celebration of Christmas. I expect a nation, founded by Muslims, to observe Muslim holidays. Plus, it ain't the Hindus or Muslims (or even the pagans), by and large, who are complaining. It's the neurotic atheists, feebly attempting to hide behind these other religions, to take potshots at Christianity.

Furthermore, contrary to your screwball statement, "Christian propaganda" is NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL on government property. But, once again, we have godless folks, bleating like tormented sheep, because someone mentioned that pesky God, that they swear to the skies doesn't exist. Our new president takes the oath of office, using a Bible, and ends his oath with "So help me God" (AS EVERY OTHER PRESDIENT BEFORE HIM HAS DONE), and you "enlightened" atheists get your usual cases of diaper rash.

"Or, as I said a couple months ago, I see no legions of atheists demanding to work during late December time or giving their Christmas bonuses back"

christmas is not a christian holiday, it is the winter solistice first celebrated by the pagans. You can try and claim it as your own but you would be lying.

Then why are you whining about it, then? Last time I checked, you don't get Dec. 25th off (with pay) merely to celebrate the fact that it's winter. Notwithstanding the issue of why that particular date got picked, the simple fact is that (as far as celebratory purposes go), it is the official day used to honor the BIRTH OF JESUS CHRIST.

Again, you and the rest of your godless buddies need to take your own advice and "STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY LIFE!" Quit obsessing over something you don't believe to exist. Stop having coronaries every time someone mentioned Jesus Christ, within 10 feet of you. And, cease with the weeping and gnashing of teeth, every time an acknowledgement of this country's Judeo-Christian roots get mentioned in our government (as if that automatically forces you and your family to hit the sancutary once a week and pay tithe).

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »
"Piss poor" would be your feeble attempt to pretend as if atheists haven't (for all practical purposes) deified one Charles Darwin. At, the very least, he has prophet status i, the religion of atheism.

Atheism, as we know it today, is ANYTHING but a mere lack of belief. It has and continues to be a deliberate attack and belittling of religion and people of faith. Calling yourself "freethinkers", implying that those who believe in God are "slaves". Or, referring to yourselfs as "brights", hinting that people of faith are "dim". Again, why are you guys blubbering and whining about someone whom you don't believe exists?

So, where are the numerous shelters and food banks, run by atheists, then? Go to any such place, and there's a 80% chance (and that's being conservative) that it's run directly or indirectly by a religious insitutition.

In other words, like a spoiled brat, you and other atheists of your ilk have a classic case of that green-eyed monster, JEALOUSY. Again, check your history books. The founders of this country believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and (SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!), they wanted to celebrate His birth by making Christmas a federal holiday, which they have every right to do.

"What about hindus? muslims? atheists?pagans?" What about them? This is (at least, on its face) a Christian nation. I don't go to Saudi Arabia and wail about there not being enough churches or no celebration of Christmas. I expect a nation, founded by Muslims, to observe Muslim holidays. Plus, it ain't the Hindus or Muslims (or even the pagans), by and large, who are complaining. It's the neurotic atheists, feebly attempting to hide behind these other religions, to take potshots at Christianity.

Furthermore, contrary to your screwball statement, "Christian propaganda" is NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL on government property. But, once again, we have godless folks, bleating like tormented sheep, because someone mentioned that pesky God, that they swear to the skies doesn't exist. Our new president takes the oath of office, using a Bible, and ends his oath with "So help me God" (AS EVERY OTHER PRESDIENT BEFORE HIM HAS DONE), and you "enlightened" atheists get your usual cases of diaper rash.

Then why are you whining about it, then? Last time I checked, you don't get Dec. 25th off (with pay) merely to celebrate the fact that it's winter. Notwithstanding the issue of why that particular date got picked, the simple fact is that (as far as celebratory purposes go), it is the official day used to honor the BIRTH OF JESUS CHRIST.

Again, you and the rest of your godless buddies need to take your own advice and "STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY LIFE!" Quit obsessing over something you don't believe to exist. Stop having coronaries every time someone mentioned Jesus Christ, within 10 feet of you. And, cease with the weeping and gnashing of teeth, every time an acknowledgement of this country's Judeo-Christian roots get mentioned in our government (as if that automatically forces you and your family to hit the sancutary once a week and pay tithe).

you dont seem to understand what atheism is, nor evolution. Darwinism doesnt exist, evolution is far more advanced then the ideas he proposed, he laid the groundwork. You are ignorant to science but i didnt expect anything else.

no its not, it was founded on secularism, and you guys are arrogant enough to think its a christian nation.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 04:48:14 AM »
A nation build on secularism doesn’t state in its Declaration of Independence that the Creator give its people inalienable rights. Nor does it put “In God We Trust” on its money; or make a similar statement part of its national anthem.

Nor does it use Bibles as textbooks in its schools, or as part of the taking the oath of office of President (and several other positions in government). Nor does it make Christmas a federal holiday. You are ignorant to those aspects of American history; but I didn't expect anything else.

You are also dead wrong about Darwinism not existing. But why let that stand in the way of yet another atheistic blubberfest?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
A nation build on secularism doesn’t state in its Declaration of Independence that the Creator give its people inalienable rights. Nor does it put “In God We Trust” on its money; or make a similar statement part of its national anthem.

Nor does it use Bibles as textbooks in its schools, or as part of the taking the oath of office of President (and several other positions in government). Nor does it make Christmas a federal holiday. You are ignorant to those aspects of American history; but I didn't expect anything else.

You are also dead wrong about Darwinism not existing. But why let that stand in the way of yet another atheistic blubberfest?

"A nation build on secularism doesn’t state in its Declaration of Independence that the Creator give its people inalienable rights. Nor does it put “In God We Trust” on its money; or make a similar statement part of its national anthem."

all after the fact, get your facts straight the founding fathers had none of this and were ademant about being a secular nation.

"Nor does it use Bibles as textbooks in its schools, or as part of the taking the oath of office of President (and several other positions in government). Nor does it make Christmas a federal holiday. You are ignorant to those aspects of American history; but I didn't expect anything else."

again added after the fact. Im not american ftr, christians may have taken over, this is obvious, but america is a secular nation. It doesnt state which god and this passage was added, same with the money. This will be gone in the future however.

"You are also dead wrong about Darwinism not existing. But why let that stand in the way of yet another atheistic blubberfest?"

sure some variants or neo darwinist exist if you are talking about the basic framework or principles he stated. However, if you took any classes in biology no class is called darwinism, or darwinist biology, it is evolution which includes palentology,genetics,homology etc... stuff darwin never really touched. Especially genetics which are the cornerstone of modern biology at the moment.

Darwin has nothing to do with atheism, just like whitten and string theory.You have selected one theory in science and for some reason this is likened to atheism, meanwhile, evolution says nothing about god at all. Just like all of science. There is no logical reason to place evolution and atheism in the same bracket and not quantum physics and atheism.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

"A nation build on secularism doesn’t state in its Declaration of Independence that the Creator give its people inalienable rights. Nor does it put “In God We Trust” on its money; or make a similar statement part of its national anthem."

all after the fact, get your facts straight the founding fathers had none of this and were ademant about being a secular nation.

52 of the 55 founding fathers were Bible-believing Christians. It's time YOU got YOUR facts straight, Necrosis.

Here's a start:

“It can not be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ!”

“Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.”
- Patrick Henry

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise. In this sense and to this extent, our civilizations and our institutions are emphatically Christian." - U.S. Supreme Court, circa 1892

"Nor does it use Bibles as textbooks in its schools, or as part of the taking the oath of office of President (and several other positions in government). Nor does it make Christmas a federal holiday. You are ignorant to those aspects of American history; but I didn't expect anything else."

again added after the fact. Im not american ftr, christians may have taken over, this is obvious, but america is a secular nation. It doesnt state which god and this passage was added, same with the money. This will be gone in the future however.

Says who? The Christians didn't "take over". They're the ones who founded the nation.

Now, you're feigning your ignorance, here. Do you REALLY think Thomas Jefferson was talking about Allah, Buddha, Dagon, Molech, or Krisna, when he wrote about the “Creator” giving man his inalienable rights? If so, I have some great waterfront property for you in Arizona.

"You are also dead wrong about Darwinism not existing. But why let that stand in the way of yet another atheistic blubberfest?"

sure some variants or neo darwinist exist if you are talking about the basic framework or principles he stated. However, if you took any classes in biology no class is called darwinism, or darwinist biology, it is evolution which includes palentology,genetics,homology etc... stuff darwin never really touched. Especially genetics which are the cornerstone of modern biology at the moment.

Darwin has nothing to do with atheism, just like whitten and string theory.You have selected one theory in science and for some reason this is likened to atheism, meanwhile, evolution says nothing about god at all. Just like all of science. There is no logical reason to place evolution and atheism in the same bracket and not quantum physics and atheism.

[/quote]

Tell that to the atheists who, as I've said before, all but bow before the shrine of Darwin. They're the ones that idolize the guy, not me (unless you have some explanation for the "Darwin" fish that's a direct jab at the "Jesus" fish, a popular car decal, often used by Christians).

The point, which you missed by a country mile, was that atheism (as we know it today) is hardly a mere lack of belief in a supernatural being.

As I've said, if you and your godless brethren need to take your own advice and "STOP WORRYING", especially when it's about someone you don't believe to exist.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread, but why would the city approve something so controversial to appear on public buses?
S

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
52 of the 55 founding fathers were Bible-believing Christians. It's time YOU got YOUR facts straight, Necrosis.

Here's a start:

“It can not be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians, not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ!”

“Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles.”
- Patrick Henry

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise. In this sense and to this extent, our civilizations and our institutions are emphatically Christian." - U.S. Supreme Court, circa 1892

the nation was founded on secularism and seperation of church and state, which still holds true today. The constitution emphatically states this, America is not a christian nation, no where does it say this, however, the seperation of church and state pretty much sums this one up. This act by atheists wouldnt be allowed if this was a christian nation.

Who bows to the shrine of darwin, evolution is not the study of darwin, and barely touches on his brief ideas. He laid a brilliant framework.

"As I've said, if you and your godless brethren need to take your own advice and "STOP WORRYING", especially when it's about someone you don't believe to exist."

missing the point as usual,  im not worried about god, im worried about you and those who beleive in god. Those that tell me im going to suffer for eternity, those that want more control, end times and so on. Those that think atheists are second class citizens and deny them esteemed office positions. A retarded reminder on money that christians are trying to take over. I am worried that grown men who could wield power beleive in talking snakes, 800 year old men and noahs ark. I am worried about indoctrination and religious wars.

If you believe the earth is 6000 years old then i am worried you are a mental deficient and in awe of how this could affect my life.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »

the nation was founded on secularism and seperation of church and state, which still holds true today. The constitution emphatically states this, America is not a christian nation, no where does it say this, however, the seperation of church and state pretty much sums this one up. This act by atheists wouldnt be allowed if this was a christian nation.

Who bows to the shrine of darwin, evolution is not the study of darwin, and barely touches on his brief ideas. He laid a brilliant framework.

The "separation of church and state" appears ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE in the U.S. Constitution.

"As I've said, if you and your godless brethren need to take your own advice and "STOP WORRYING", especially when it's about someone you don't believe to exist."

missing the point as usual,  im not worried about god, im worried about you and those who beleive in god. Those that tell me im going to suffer for eternity, those that want more control, end times and so on. Those that think atheists are second class citizens and deny them esteemed office positions. A retarded reminder on money that christians are trying to take over. I am worried that grown men who could wield power beleive in talking snakes, 800 year old men and noahs ark. I am worried about indoctrination and religious wars.

And what is going to happen to poor little ol' Necrosis, if these pesky Christians take over, notwithstanding the fact that America was founded by such men, in the first place (BTW, I'm still looking for those chapters in American history where a bunch of atheists and secularists wrote the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, only to get jacked by Bible-believing men years later)?

Wars are started for a number of reason, few of which actually regard religion. Therefore, you're basically spewing little more than the usual atheistic paranoia.

As for the office thing, again, the reason that atheists are denied esteemed office positions is because, in practice, they are anything but athiests. They are anti-theists, with hostile mean-spirited anti-religious rhetoric and viewpoints.

NEWS FLASH!! If a majority of people believe in God, and you offend their beliefs, call them names, and insult them, their faith, and their God, THEY'RE NOT GOING TO ELECT TO INTO OFFICE!!!!

If you believe the earth is 6000 years old then i am worried you are a mental deficient and in awe of how this could affect my life.

Thank you for demonstrating my earlier point!!! Atheists like you make statements like this. And then, you're SOOOOOOOO surprise that the populace won't elect folks of your ilk into office????  ::)  BTW, There are plenty of people who believe in Creation and are anything but mentally deficient. In fact, there's a TV movie about one such guy: Dr. Ben Carson.

Why don't you tell everyone how much of a "mental deficient" he is. And while you're at it, you can also explain why such occur to men like Louis Pasteur, Barry Black, just to name a few.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »
I think its kind of funny and it should at the very least provoke thought and the questioning of organized religion.

That being said, it's in my opinion a monumental WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

So what?  You don't believe in GOD and someone else does.  You both need to keep it to your selves.  Or just debate it on forums, not advertise publicly. 

people who write posts like this clearly haven't figured out the massive amount of affect the god-believers have on the lives of non-believers via politicians.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
people who write posts like this clearly haven't figured out the massive amount of affect the god-believers have on the lives of non-believers via politicians.

And the "massive amout of effect" would be........

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »
The only reason Atheists spend so much time talking about something that they do not believe in is because OTHER PEOPLE believe, and it affects society and civilization.
Why is the Bus campaign a waste of time? Would a sign that says "Accept Jesus" be an equal waste of time?

Atheism is not a religion. Any admiration of Darwin (or other scientists) is just that:Admiration. It's not "worship" in any sense of the word.

There are plenty of SECULAR charities. There is no point in an "Atheist" Charity because it wouldn't make sense. Secular charities do the work without pushing their dogma.

TO say that the "Founders" of America were all Christian would be ignorant, since MANY were Deists and they were all SECULAR. America is not a "Christian nation" in any sense except the fact that most people living in it identify as Christian. That's all.

Support of organized religion, or preference of one religion over another IS illegal for the government. That's all from the "Wall of separation" ideal. The "In GOd we trust" and similar B.S. was added MUCH later after the founding of America, mostly in times of reverent revivalism or communist fears.