Author Topic: can someone please tell me why 200g's of protein is better than 100?  (Read 5167 times)

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
Re: can someone please tell me why 200g's of protein is better than 100?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »
And you should stop bashing things you have no clue about. I think I've seen your pics and no offense, but you don't even look like you train. Taking 1.5 - 2 gm protein / lb of body weight makes a HUGE difference in the way you feel, your strength, your recovery and progress. Not everyone will respond to the same thing to the same degree. So maybe you aren't getting anything out of them, but I know tons of people who have experienced great results from ingesting more than 100 gm protein / day. There's no point in going through 30,000 studies to back up what you are saying when it's simply disproven for a lot of people from the results / gains they've attained with their own bodies.

Fact is that your protein intake should be 1.5 - 2 grams of protein / 1 kilo of your body weight. Same amount per 1 lb is just about double and it is too much, and this is the reason why people eat so much of protein. Guys who has written down those instructions, like Arnold, Franco and the guys, has come from the countries with metric system. Science which has studied those things, uses metric system. Americans, who know the numbers but can hardly read, has change them straight to your system, forgetting that kilo is ~2.205 lb. Correct amount would be 0,7 to 0.9 grams / lb...

Just read what you have write: "1,5 - 2 gm (grams) protein / lb of body weight". Why you are mixing two kinds of measuring units in the first place.  Because all of you guys do the same...If your weight is 100 kilos, you should eat 200 grams of protein per day. 100 kilos is 220 lb and with your mathematics you should eat 440 grams of protein each day. That is a big difference...

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »
Just read what you have write: "1,5 - 2 gm (grams) protein / lb of body weight". Why you are mixing two kinds of measuring units in the first place.  

I am aware of the difference between the Imperial system and the Metric system. The reason people use grams per pound of body weight is because protein intake is usually measured in grams per serving worldwide (like 45 gm of protein in a MetRx sachet, for example) and Americans use pounds to measure their body weight. And since the bodybuilding and nutrition scene (at least in the English speaking parts of the world) is most prevalent in the US, people use gm/lb.

As to the argument about whether it's 1 gm or 2 gm per pound or kilo of body weight, I prefer a higher intake personally and as mentioned, there are several different theories out there. So to each their own, I guess.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »
Kiwiol, what are your preferred methods to take in that extra protein?

All shakes or just add an extra chicken breast?
from incomplete data

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Kiwiol, what are your preferred methods to take in that extra protein?

All shakes or just add an extra chicken breast?

I eat a lot of meat, mostly red. But I also take 2 shakes a day, sometimes 3, cause you get sick of eating too much food on a daily basis. I'm also not very consistent with the 300 gm everyday - sometimes I might only eat 80 - 100 gm / day, but I'd say on average I'd be consuming around 300 gm.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
I eat a lot of meat, mostly red. But I also take 2 shakes a day, sometimes 3, cause you get sick of eating too much food on a daily basis. I'm also not very consistent with the 300 gm everyday - sometimes I might only eat 80 - 100 gm / day, but I'd say on average I'd be consuming around 300 gm.

Ok, kinda like how I used to do before I got lazy.  ;D

I currently eat 5-6 big meals per day, always with some sort of meat in them and a casual shake now and then (usually just once per day).
How much protein would you roughly estimate I get from that?
from incomplete data

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »
Ok, kinda like how I used to do before I got lazy.  ;D

I currently eat 5-6 big meals per day, always with some sort of meat in them and a casual shake now and then (usually just once per day).
How much protein would you roughly estimate I get from that?

Hard to say without more details, but roughly, maybe around 200 gm. It doesn't really matter though - if you are growing and getting stronger in the gym, and you feel fully recovered between your workouts, it means you are doing fine. There is no need to complicate things and get fixated on numbers unless you are going to compete and need the figures to map out an effective 12 or 16 week pre-contest diet.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
Hard to say without more details, but roughly, maybe around 200 gm. It doesn't really matter though - if you are growing and getting stronger in the gym, and you feel fully recovered between your workouts, it means you are doing fine. There is no need to complicate things and get fixated on numbers unless you are going to compete and need the figures to map out an effective 12 or 16 week pre-contest diet.

Ok, gives me an idea at least. Thanks very much.
from incomplete data

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »
boonstack -- why are you so obsessed with eating little protein?

Maybe his only source of protein is straight from the tap.

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
I am aware of the difference between the Imperial system and the Metric system. The reason people use grams per pound of body weight is because protein intake is usually measure in grams per serving worldwide (like 45 gm of protein in a MetRx sachet, for example) and Americans use pounds to measure their body weight. And since the bodybuilding and nutrition scene (at least in the English speaking parts of the world) is most prevalent in the US, people use gm/lb.

As to the argument about whether it's 1 gm or 2 gm per pound or kilo of body weight, I prefer a higher intake personally and as mentioned, there are several different theories there. So to each their own, I guess.

And I prefer my own kidneys instead of dialysis.  Excessive use of protein exhaust your kidneys to the early grave with a high blood pressure and other symptoms triggered by using gear. That's why you should use a right amount, not just about and the some, but amount which you have calculated by your own condition. I bet you can list numerous builders with a kidney problems, and you will be joining in that bunch with that plain stupid attitude of yours, if you don't start thinking what you are doing. And it is just same if you don't use gear, it just takes somewhat longer time. 

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 03:24:14 AM »
And I prefer my own kidneys instead of dialysis.  Excessive use of protein exhaust your kidneys to the early grave with a high blood pressure and other symptoms triggered by using gear.

really.

i'm sure you wouldn't mind posting ONE peer reviewed or pub med study showing how 'protein exhausts your kidneys to an early grave'?

you are a fucking idiot.

next time, learn a little about the topic at hand before spouting off in an attempt to look like you know what you are talking about.

hope this helps.
b

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2009, 04:36:42 AM »
haha great thread  ;D

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »
its all a load of crap, stop buying magazines or you might fall in the temptation to use a new superduper crap supplement again.

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2009, 02:48:26 PM »
really.

i'm sure you wouldn't mind posting ONE peer reviewed or pub med study showing how 'protein exhausts your kidneys to an early grave'?

you are a fucking idiot.

next time, learn a little about the topic at hand before spouting off in an attempt to look like you know what you are talking about.

hope this helps.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20030317/high-protein-diets-can-hurt-kidneys
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2859733.stm
http://www.all-creatures.org/cb/a-restrict.html
http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/03.13/09-kidney.html
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/04/05/high-protein-diet.aspx
http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/19/10/2678-a

Fact is that only history proves how it goes with your kidneys. Then there is other subjects like use of alcohol and drugs, high blood pressure etc. which all downgrade your kidneys ability to deal with excessive protein, and in any case you have to remember the fact of the matter: Your metabolism can utilize only ~20 grams of protein in one meal /~2hours, so what is the point to eat more than that? You don't gain anything with that, but the possibility to have a kidney failure. I know you are puzzled by the matter, but why don't you go and ask your mom, she can help and comfort your confused mind.  For example, you can ask her this simple question: If you have an any kind of kidney failure, why the first thing which is  banned from your diet is protein rich food...One thing which you guys have never understand, is the fact it is never just one thing or substance, but a total of every drug, pollution and poison which you have inhale or consume in your life. You don't use one substance or drug at the time, you just ad it to total which has been growing from the day you are born, and outcome from that could be anything. Maybe you die tomorrow, maybe you live to see your 100th birthday. Point is that you don't know it before it has happen, so it is just wise to be careful.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
And I prefer my own kidneys instead of dialysis.  Excessive use of protein exhaust your kidneys to the early grave with a high blood pressure and other symptoms triggered by using gear. That's why you should use a right amount, not just about and the some, but amount which you have calculated by your own condition. I bet you can list numerous builders with a kidney problems, and you will be joining in that bunch with that plain stupid attitude of yours, if you don't start thinking what you are doing. And it is just same if you don't use gear, it just takes somewhat longer time. 

Consuming protein in excess (say 300 gm plus / day) will make your kidney work more by that much, but that doesn't mean everyone who does that is automatically or surely going to suffer from renal failure. For sure, if you already have a problem to begin with, eating too much protein will affect you adversely, but a healthy human's kidneys (and other organs) are far more resilient than we'd expect. It all boils down to genetic predisposition - case in point, known cases of young, healthy / fit people in their 30s or even 20s who go out for a jog, have a heart attack and die, while on the other hand we have people who chain smoke, drink and possibly abuse other substances living well into their 80s and 90s without dropping their habits while still being as fit as a butcher's dog.

What I'm saying is, you have no assurance that just because you watch and limit your protein consumption (or any other food / product) you will be immune to problems with your kidneys or anything else. If your body is going to have a heart attack while you are in your 30s (not meaning you in particular), it will happen, regardless of whether you workout and stay fit or not. Take bodybuilders for example - they all take tons of hormones and other stuff and in some cases, their body breaks down to the extent we see with guys like Tom Prince or Don Long. But then there are also others who look healthy and probably are, like a lot or perhaps, all the Mr Olympias from 1965 onwards till now.

Some guys go bald while taking low dosages of Decanobol or whatever the Hell it's called. Others like Jay Cutler and Dorian Yates retain their hair inspite of megadosing all the things they take / have taken. The best thing to do would be to not abuse the shit out of one particular food group or product or drug or a substance, but again, even that's not really going to guarantee you a long and healthy life. Besides, you say that taking 300 gm protein a day is too much, but what makes that 'unacceptably or needlessly high'? There are cases of people trying 4 gm / lb, although they are in the minority.

What your tolerance is for a certain substance or food is something you can only determine through hindsight. All the BS about 'acceptable or safe level of intake' is pure hogwash because it's just an indication of what the average or mean of a bunch of individuals is - it doesn't show you where you stand in the chart and therefore, what levels of intake you can tolerate without any negative repercussions. 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
Consuming protein in excess (say 300 gm plus / day) will make your kidney work more by that much, but that doesn't mean everyone who does that is automatically or surely going to suffer from renal failure. For sure, if you already have a problem to begin with, eating too much protein will affect you adversely, but a healthy human's kidneys (and other organs) are far more resilient than we'd expect. It all boils down to genetic predisposition - case in point, known cases of young, healthy / fit people in their 30s or even 20s who go out for a jog, have a heart attack and die, while on the other hand we have people who chain smoke, drink and possibly abuse other substances living well into their 80s and 90s without dropping their habits while still being as fit as a butcher's dog.

What I'm saying is, you have no assurance that just because you watch and limit your protein consumption (or any other food / product) you will be immune to problems with your kidneys or any thing else. If your body is going to have a heart attack while you are in your 30s (not meaning you in particular), it will happen, regardless of whether you workout and stay fit or not. Take bodybuilders for example - they all take tons of hormones and other stuff and in some cases, their body breaks down to the extent we see with guys like Tom Prince or Don Long. But then there are also others who look healthy and probably are, like a lot or perhaps, all the Mr Olympias from 1965 onwards to now.

Some guys go bald while taking low dosages of Decanobol or whatever the Hell it's called. Others like Jay Cutler and Dorian Yates retain their hair inspite of megadosing all the things they take / have taken. The best thing to do would be to not abuse the shit out of one particular food group or product or drug or a substance, but again, even that's not really going to guarantee you a long and healthy life. Besides, you say that taking 300 gm protein a day is too much, but what makes that 'unacceptably or needlessly high'? There are cases of people trying 4 gm / lb, although they are in the minority.

What your tolerance is for a certain substance or food is something you can only determine through hindsight. All the BS about 'acceptable or safe level of intake' is pure hogwash because it's just an indication of what the average or mean of a bunch of individuals is - it doesn't show you where you stand in the chart and therefore, what levels of intake you can tolerate without any negative repercussions. 

Are you implying that Keith Jones sat right next to Jonesy from the Police Academy at a charity event?
from incomplete data

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
Are you implying that Keith Jones sat right next to Jonesy from the Police Academy at a charity event?

Glad someone out there got the message, especially you of all people, dear Lovemonkey ;D

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Glad someone out there got the message, especially you of all people, dear Lovemonkey ;D

Haha, it's cool man. Very nice discussion. To think there are things to learn at getbig.com!! :o
from incomplete data