Author Topic: Brian Bullman Appreciation Thread  (Read 5651 times)

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
Re: Brian Bullman Appreciation Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
Are you from limerick brian??
Why do they call you 'backdoor'??

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »
Are you from limerick brian??
Why do they call you 'backdoor'??

Brian is known for his love of the male anus.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Just for the record...

I live in Ireland and have attended a few RIBBF (Irish IFBB affiliate) shows over the past 15 years. I've never met Brian Bullman, but I do have a story to relate that I think amply demonstrates his character.

When I first got started lifting weights I progressed quite rapidly... even going so far as to compete in a bench press meet when I was 15 (managed 230 lbs at 155 lbs bodyweight) and placed joint third in Leinster (Dublin and surrounding counties) in my weight class.

Being as I was only 15, my Dad accompanied me to the meet.

However, unlike the asstard steroid-hysteria morons who scream about their kids "abusing creatine" on American tv, my Dad is a pretty clued-in guy... he was more worried about the possibility of long term steroid usage; the cultist anti-social monomaniacal side of the bodybuilding lifestyle, and the schmoe factor.

My Dad called Brian Bullman (via the RIBBF).

Brian Bullman spent two hours on the phone with my Dad explaining every single aspect of bodybuilding with a "warts and all" honesty that is sadly lacking from the sport today. He answered every single question my Dad had... explained all the pros and cons of steroid usage; the extent of homosexual interest in the Irish bodybuilding scene (pretty tame really, just a couple of openly gay gym owners); the career-expectancy of steroid abusers; side-effects and health problems; realistic expectations... everything. He even gave my Dad his home number and address in case either of us wanted to contact him with any questions we might have had, and told my Dad he was welcome to attend any upcoming RIBBF show as his (Brian Bullman's) guest so that he could speak with some of the competitors directly.

The result, my Dad and I had a long talk about bodybuilding and steroids... a talk I think every parent should have with any kid who lifts weights. I got the facts, and made my own decisions.

Fifteen years later I'm still lifting weights, love training, but have never bothered using any steroids; performance enhancers or recreational drugs (not even pro-hormones). To be honest, I'm now bigger and stronger as a natural than I ever thought I could be (or hoped I could be even using steroids) and I'm healthy as a horse. So much so that I'm considering competing in a regional natural show.

Brian Bullman is a good guy in my book.

Without his honesty and openness I could very easily have ended up just another bitter 150 lb former steroid user, the very type of people ripping on Brian in this thread.

The Luke

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
he lent me his weightlifting belt for a bench comp when i forgot mine.

i appreciated it greatly

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
Just for the record...

I live in Ireland and have attended a few RIBBF (Irish IFBB affiliate) shows over the past 15 years. I've never met Brian Bullman, but I do have a story to relate that I think amply demonstrates his character.

When I first got started lifting weights I progressed quite rapidly... even going so far as to compete in a bench press meet when I was 15 (managed 230 lbs at 155 lbs bodyweight) and placed joint third in Leinster (Dublin and surrounding counties) in my weight class.

However, unlike the asstard steroid-hysteria morons who scream about their kids "abusing creatine" on American tv, my Dad is a pretty clued-in guy... he was more worried about the possibility of long term steroid usage; the cultist anti-social monomaniacal side of the bodybuilding lifestyle, and the schmoe factor.

Brian Bullman spent two hours on the phone with my Dad explaining every single aspect of bodybuilding with a "warts and all" honesty that is sadly lacking from the sport today. He answered every single question my Dad had... explained all the pros and cons of steroid usage; the extent of homosexual interest in the Irish bodybuilding scene (pretty tame really, just a couple of openly gay gym owners); the career-expectancy of steroid abusers; side-effects and health problems; realistic expectations... everything. He even gave my Dad his home number and address in case either of us wanted to contact him with any questions we might have had, and told my Dad he was welcome to attend any upcoming RIBBF show as his (Brian Bullman's) guest so that he could speak with some of the competitors directly.

The result, my Dad and I had a long talk about bodybuilding and steroids... a talk I think every parent should have with any kid who lifts weights. I got the facts, and made my own decisions.

Fifteen years later I'm still lifting weights, love training, but have never bothered using any steroids; performance enhancers or recreational drugs (not even pro-hormones). To be honest, I'm now bigger and stronger as a natural than I ever thought I could be (or hoped I could be even using steroids) and I'm healthy as a horse. So much so that I'm considering competing in a regional natural show.

Without his honesty and openness I could very easily have ended up just another bitter 150 lb former steroid user, the very type of people ripping on Brian in this thread.

The Luke

Did he explain to your Dad that bodybuilders are in fact Athletes and Bodybuilding is a sport?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
hahaha this brian bullman cant be serious ? who would go on stage looking like that hahahahah
L

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
Just for the record...

The Luke

15 Years ago?? Really man thats nuts, I was only 16 then. But Thanks for looking out bro, most of the guys on here are muppets, sour that they ahve never acheived anything in the sport. This is a great sport but like anything else in life, there is always a down side, and most of the guys here are from that side, spending more time hating on others than in the gym, which is most likely their reason for being unsuccessful.

I just finished Arms in Troy Zuccolotto's new Gym Club Z, formerly Club MetRx, without a doubt Southern California's best gym, if you are ever over this side, let me know, we'll get a workout in!!!

All The Best
Brian

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 01:25:36 PM »
he lent me his weightlifting belt for a bench comp when i forgot mine.

i appreciated it greatly

Hey Bro, I remember that, the Worlds wasnt it??? Hows training going? Anything planned for 09??

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
15 Years ago?? Really man thats nuts, I was only 16 then.

...aren't you the same Brian Bullman who used to run the RIBBF?

The Luke

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 01:27:22 PM »
haha yes mate.

It was the red belt. A few of us used it.

I have been fucked trianing wise and injury wise...cant seem to get a good run at it with everything going good but ah well...slight pec injurt atm but getting much better i think.

only thing i got planned for 09 is Mr Getbig IV lol...ecept i probaly will diet and pose this time :)

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
...aren't you the same Brian Bullman who used to run the RIBBF?

The Luke

Yea I am that Brian Bullman, my father Mike is the President of the RIBBF, I have been involved my whole life, back then, '93, '94, '95 I was competing in the teen division. But yea been helping my father put on shows for all those years, just makes me feel older than 31 to hear I gave advice that long ago lol

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I hope his chemotherapy worked out.   It did a helluva job on his mug...... :'(

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »
haha yes mate.

It was the red belt. A few of us used it.

I have been fucked trianing wise and injury wise...cant seem to get a good run at it with everything going good but ah well...slight pec injurt atm but getting much better i think.

only thing i got planned for 09 is Mr Getbig IV lol...ecept i probaly will diet and pose this time :)

Awww sorry to hear that bro, nothing worse than being injured, I have had my fair share. Actually broke my foot last year a few weeks out from the IFBB Europeans!!!

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
Yea I am that Brian Bullman, my father Mike is the President of the RIBBF, I have been involved my whole life, back then, '93, '94, '95 I was competing in the teen division. But yea been helping my father put on shows for all those years, just makes me feel older than 31 to hear I gave advice that long ago lol

...might have been your Dad that my Dad spoke to.

It wasn't 15 years ago though, that was just the bench contest I entered. My Dad contacted the RIBBF about 13 years ago.

The Luke

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
than fuck one thing i never done is broke a bone :) touch wood!

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
...might have been your Dad that my Dad spoke to.

It wasn't 15 years ago though, that was just the bench contest I entered. My Dad contacted the RIBBF about 13 years ago.

The Luke

I remember talking to a few people about their kids getting into the sport down through the years, either way, fair play for giving your 2 cents!!!

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
than fuck one thing i never done is broke a bone :) touch wood!

Well with a bit of luck, it will be the last time  ;)

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »
The result, my Dad and I had a long talk about bodybuilding and steroids... a talk I think every parent should have with any kid who lifts weights.
Even a 15 year old with some interest in bodybuilding probably knows more than his dad about steroids.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 08:23:19 PM »
Well with a bit of luck, it will be the last time  ;)
Your physique sucks, try a new hobby bottom boy!
I am a big baby

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
Your physique sucks, try a new hobby bottom boy!
He looks pretty good for age 60 though.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
He looks pretty good for age 60 though.

True.  But what do they do with all that extra hangy skin..... :-[

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
One of the guys in your family went pro in the masters catagory though Brian? I remember seein a pic of him with Vince Taylor