Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 549875 times)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2005, 11:20:10 AM »
Some memories of Muscle Beack for Kevin.Do you recognize any of the guys in the bottom pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2005, 11:21:34 AM »
A couple of pics of the acrobats.

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2005, 07:18:48 PM »
Great pics, Crown

I think I see Zabo and Roy Hilligen in the back row and also the photographer whose name I forget and the first guy on the left, standing up is definitely familiar but the name escapes me.

That picture must have been taken in the 50's, Do you have a date that it was taken?

Do I also see Gene Mozee?

The name :John Forbotnick" pops up for some reason but I would never recongnize him in a photo.  Is that Dick Dubois with the shades?

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2005, 09:20:53 PM »
Not that I have met any of those guys....but from other pics I have seen the guy on the left looks like Armand Tanny ???

619Rules

« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2005, 11:32:08 PM »
Bossa-you are right-that is Tanny-

The bottom of the 4 person pryamid is Harold Zinkin-the first Mr. California (trained at Tanny's gym), and died last year-his son is an attorney in Fresno-and Harold also invented the Universal Weight station machine, there was one in every high school and college in the 70's.

The woman being held on the three person pryamid looks like Pudgy Stockton-might be her husband suppporting er.

Cool pics-real cool.

BTW-has anyone heard from/about Clancy Ross? Last time I saw him was around 1985 or so, and he was working for Russ Warner at his studio in downtown Hayward.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2005, 08:34:09 AM »
Kevin you mentioned Ralph Kroeger. I remember when I was a kid just starting out there was an article about him in one of the Hoffman publications (either Muscular Development or Strength and Health) that said he trained every bodypart every day 7 days a week. Arthur Jones must have had a cororary reading that.

I saw Bill Pettis around in Venice just a few years ago. I don't about the others you mentioned.

I trained at Vince's a few times when I first moved to California. I had always liked his writing and wanted to train at his Gym but it was too far from where I lived to do it regularly.

Did you ever talk to Dr. Michael Walkzak. 
and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2005, 09:42:10 AM »
Thanks, Bossa! You are right about Armand Tanny and I feel kind of stupid not recognizing him because when I was in Hawaii for a spell many years ago, Armand was on Waikiki beach every day right behind the Outrigger Hotel with the beach crew. He must of had friends running one of the outrigger saliing ships because he was there most all of the time and I think he even hung out with some of the pro wrestlers of that time (Lord Blears?)

I think my mom was dateing the Masked Convict or Masked Destroyer at that time. (Could have been much later though, but I knew most of those wrestlers because of her.)

We did talk a few times but I don't recall what we had to talk about unless it was about the local wrestling shows that used to be so great back then.

Either he or Vic had a son who was into bodybuilding back then but I haven't seen anything about him since way back when.

Rules, you seem to recall these old days pretty well. Help me out here  if I am wrong but wasn't Harold Zinkin an old friend of Gary Leonard's who lived in Makaha on the island of Oahu after he retired?

This is what I recall about that episode ........ Gary was in Hawaii and we drove over to Makaha to meet a friend of his who had invented (or had something important to do with) the Universal gear. I think it was Mr. Zinken but I could be wrong. At that time he was trying to develop a training center for the kids who lived over on that side of the island with help from the City and County of Honolulu because it was a pretty depressed piece of Hawaii and the kids were always getting into trouble of some sort. As far as I know , it never did work out. Could that possibly have been Mr Zinkin?

BTW .... has anyone seen Gary Leonard lately? And how bout John Corvello?

Is Clancy Ross still alive?  BTW - I think that is Russ Warner in the back between Zabo and the Dick Dubois lookalike. Anyone know for certain? How about the names of the rest of those guys in that picture?

Max, I never did see Kroeger train but back in the 60's when his gym was on the Pacific COast Highway south of Oceanside, California; it looked like a small shack and if you walked through the front door, you'd step on the beach. That's how I recall it.

I don't think that there is a anything on that stretch of the highway now. They probably demolished everything to widen the road, but if that old shack is still there, it has got to be worth millions due to its beachfront location.

Ralph eventually closed shop and moved over to Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii and opened another gym which he managed for several years before heading back to the mainland. He competed in a local show in Hawaii once.

Never heard about Ralph since then but I do know that he was very religious.

Ralph's days were way before Arthur Jones appeared on the scene. I don't think Arthur even ever heard of Ralph.

Bill Pettis - Last time I saw Pettis must have been 8 to 10 years ago (or possibly longer). He still had good arms but was on the bulky side and looked a bit low.

Gironda - I do recall reading with a lot of interest some articles that Vince had written about protein assimulation ...... when to take it and what to take it with, etc. I wish I saved that one. It was interesting and VInce was always slightly ahead of his time. ('cept for leg training of course!)

Max, I knew all the doctors who were involved in the sport back then. Even Dr. Kenny Kerr and Dr. You. Yes, and Dr Walczak too.

Those were the days when most everything was legal and everyone would talk openly about what "DOC" was gonna win. And each was in competition to help the athletes.

Those were better days, Max! MUCH BETTER DAYS!

Once again, thanks for those photos!!!!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »

Max, I knew all the doctors who were involved in the sport back then. Even Dr. Kenny Kerr and Dr. You. Yes, and Dr Walczak too.

Correction Kevin it was Dr. ROBERT Kerr. Out in San Gabriel near Astro Gym (a great place) I heard he passed away afew years ago. He was cool.

Ever go to Uptown Gym in Whittier (another great gym)? Or Barlow's in Torrance. 
and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2005, 04:12:13 PM »
Max, We may be speaking about two different doctors becasue I really believe his first name was Ken (Kenny). But he did pass away a few years back, so you could be right. He was around shortly after Morris won the nationals (Mr America?)  and when Bob Birdsong was making a name for himself and won that international contest I wrote about in an earlier post when Sergio challanged Arnold and Franco eventually accepted.

I've never been to Astro or Uptown or Barlow's unless one of those gyms was the place were Rory L. trained and gave a few haircuts when he arrived here. That was out by Pasadena someplace a long while back.

I can remember when LA stopped and the desert began. A major north / south road ran along that corridor and there was the start of new housing projects on the west side and nothing but wasted desert on  the east. That was only a bit east of Pasadena way back then.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2005, 07:10:15 PM »
Dr. Robert Kerr had a practice in San Gabriel Valley and was one of the three "steroid doctors" in the L.A. area. He wrote a book about steroids (which I had but have it in storage--I was one of his patients) in the early eighties and was one of the first to introduce Hgh to the bodybuilding world.

When Dan Duchaine and Mike Zumpano (owner of Champion Nutrition--most people don't know that Mike was the co-author) wrote the underground steroid guide, they got a lot of their info from Dr. Kerr. Back then Mike also introduced a really elaborate nutrition and training program and was living in the storage space above Gold's Venice (the current location).

Remember the Corbin Gentry machines? Crazy.

How about the "hydro-water machines".  Also crazy. guess manufacturers were trying to produce something to compete with the Nautilus craze.

Yes Uptown is the gym in Whittier were Rory L. trained. Still does I think.   
and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #310 on: April 08, 2005, 09:03:04 AM »
Max, you know a lot more about Dr Kerr than I do but if it is the same doctor I knew, I would usually meet him at one of the contest or another and the first time I met him was at the Cal or the LA at the Embassy Auditorium in Downtown LA.

The three docs you mentioned are Kerr and Walzack and ____?_____. Who was the third?

Who had the office on Hollywod Blvd across from the vicinity of the Chinese Theater? There were two reception areas. On the left side was the area where the athletes waited and on the right was for the regular patients. He was a great guy and very helpful. ........The way all doctors should be today but are not allowed to be.

I met Dan at the USA a couple of years before he passed away and we had a brief conversation. I was surprised when he passed away. He looked so young and healthy. I never did meet Mike or even recall the name.

I must have been fighting a war someplace because the name "Corbin Gentry" sounds familiar but I can't picture the eguipment in my mind.

But I think I do remember those water hydro units......... The whole apparatus looked like a skinny octopus and these pump type units were supposed to offer some sort of resistance. I used it once but didn't like it. It this the thing you talked about. I only saw one in my lifetime and it was soon outta there.

If Rory is still at Uptown Gym, he has been there since he was a bout 18 years of age. Are you sure that place is still there. I recall it being long and narrow with the changing area and showers in the back. Rory used to give haircuts there.

DO you recall a foundry in the Watts area? We used to go there and order special olympic plates but they never were too accurate. Do you recall the name of that place?

More questions for one and all:

Where was Rheo H. Blaire's office? I do recall it being in LA past a lake and some damn tall trees.

What ever happened to him and his product?

Who recalls MLO and who invented it and where?

What was the name of those little protein wafers that Gypsie Boots offered on the market in the 50's?

Where are these bboyduilders now? .. Dale Adrian, John Corvello, Ernie Santiago, Bill Grant, .............

How did Bill McArdle pass away?

Got tons of unanswered questions but gotta head off now. Thanks

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #311 on: April 08, 2005, 10:01:55 AM »
Kevin, It might be a different Dr. Kerr because I don't think the one I knew ever attended shows. His son was a football player and he claimed (even in 1981) that he had 20,000 patients in EVERY sport imaginable on steroids.

Third doctor was Walter Jecott (sp) who got into trouble via David Hasselhoff being a client or something.

I’m not sure who had the Hollywood office because I never went to Jecott… maybe him?

Dr. Michael Walkzak was in Sherman Oaks and Dr Kerr was in San Gabriel.

Rheo H Blair office was in LA near Studio City/Hollywood somewhere near Lankershim Blvd. After Rheo passed his "friend" Freddy Lindblatt took over and now the Protein is still available (but not the other products) through a guy who inherited or bought the formula. I'll try to get a link. That was the best tasting stuff ever. Check out this article.
http://www.ironage.us/articles/blair.html

I was introduced to the water machines at on of Wally Boyko’s contests in Anaheim. The concept was good. You could use your thumb and adjust the resistance during a set. Kind of like taking plates off or going “down the rack” with dumbbells. The problem was the whole contraption was huge and took up way to much space. Gold’s had a unit at one point but got rid of it after a month or so.

I’m not familiar with that foundry.

Bill Grant is in New York and attends the Arnold every year. He is still in awesome shape and looks like he’s still in his 30’s. 
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2005, 01:24:26 PM »
Kevin,

Here is Bill Grants Website:

http://www.billgrant.net

You may want to read the article “Legends of bodybuilding” on his site.

There was also an interview with the members over at www.Ironage.us  Many of the members there have been enjoying this thread here on Getbig.

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=5840.0

Here’s another with Danny Padilla

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=5315.0

Dave Draper and Bill Grant July 4, 2004

and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #313 on: April 08, 2005, 01:26:18 PM »
Bill Pettis
and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #314 on: April 08, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »
Corbin-Gentry-

Now that was some excellent equipment. The have been out of business for some time now-their equipment is very similar to the Hammer Strength equipment put out today. All of the equipment/machines were plate loaded-which is not uncommon today, but was unique in the early 80's.

I particularly loved that back machine they had-crazy contraption. The first time I saw the back machine was Venice in 1983 or so, and I could not for th life of me figure out how it worked. I lifted a lever and-WHAM-the machine had a 45 plate loaded on it and it came crashing down and everyone at Gold's was looking over at me thinking who is that moron.

They also made an excellent curl machine-you stand up and it is like a little preacher bench-best arm curl machine I have ever used.

I remember those water machines, they were a gimmick. Kaiser Equipment had pneumatic equipment that had hand controls that allowed you to change the pressure in the hydrylics as you were acutally doing reps. Frog's in Solana Beach had it, and I used it at the end of my workouts for an incredible pump. Good for a change, but still gimmecky.

I have Dr. Bob Kerr's steroid book. He died a year or so ago-and I believe that is who Bob Paris received his GH from for the 83 nationals. Most of the pro's and the top NPC guys were using Kerr.

Wally Boyko-now there is a name you have not heard in a while. Mishay Santos (was a HOTTIE!) won one of his shows, so did Jon Jordan as I recall. He would pick the winners by applause I think-can't really remember it has been so long. Didn't he call the shows the "Superbowl of Bodybuilding"? I am pretty sure the winners also got paid cash prizes (not pro events in anyway).

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #315 on: April 08, 2005, 02:19:14 PM »
Mishay Santos wqas a hottie at the beginning of her careear before she got to masculine.

Rmember Esi Rainwater out of Orange County?

Here's some info on Wally... he's still around, started and still owns Ms. Fitness.

http://www.msfitness.com/history.html

and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #316 on: April 08, 2005, 07:21:07 PM »
Mishay Santos was a BABE!. She sat right behind me at the 88 CAL, and I could not stop checking her out-I introduced myself when her date split for a few seconds-but no luck (my life story).

I can't remember what she died of-does anyone recall-please post if you do.

It is so weird that she has been gone for alomost 10 years now-just like Don Ross, yet I remember my interactions with them like they were just a few days ago.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #317 on: April 09, 2005, 12:54:18 AM »
I agree in the beginning she was hot. But you can see the difference in her face from the two pictures though.
and keep moving!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #318 on: April 09, 2005, 01:20:44 AM »
The Queststar Water machines

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #319 on: April 09, 2005, 01:23:43 AM »
Kaiser equipment

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #320 on: April 09, 2005, 09:23:33 AM »
Must have been two Dr Kerr's (and I thought I knew them all) because the Dr I knew was a friend of Dr Jacott's and was on the slender side and no kids that I ever met.

Dr. Jakott treated the bodybuilders well and you would meet more of the top guys in his office than you ever saw gathered at Muscle Beach.

I do know that he had to spend some time in jail but I did not know that actor was involved. Another witch hunt as far as I am concerned.

Yes, his was his office that was located across from the Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd.

Thanks for the Rheo H Blair link. That was interesting. I'm gonna look for that product this week.

Thanks for those machine photos. I can only recall seeing one of those units but it didn't last too long.

Wally Boyko - Yes, Wally did run contests where the audiance clapped to determine the winner. I spoke to a couple of the contestants and they said that the "gimmick" was to get as many of your friends there as possible. DOes anyone know any of the guys who ever won one of Wally's contests? I think that he promoted them in the Disneyland area but I never saw one in person. Is Wally still promoting events? I remember that he had a real nice lady (wife?) working with him.

Thanks for the Bill Grant link. Haven't had the chance to look at it yet but will this aftenoon. (and Ironage  and Wally link too).

Good photo of Dave and Bill.. Thanks  Neither looks too much older. Especially Bill.

Can you pass me the name of Dr. Bob Kerr's steroid book? (I gotta get these two Dr. Kerr's straightened out in my mind.)

I think I met Mishay at a contest promoted by Marjo and Hannu Selin a long time back. She was at her peak then if I am correct. I was not aware that she passed away.

I worked out in Orange County a few times but never did meet  Esi Rainwater. Did anyone ever meet Ked Schoming? He was a Marine in that area who had unreal potential and the drive to make it happen but he got shipped off somewhere and never seen again. Also Kip Narbo??

My biggest memories of that area was training at Zuver's in Costa Mesa. How old is Rhino now? Remind me to tell you about Zuver's if I haven't done so already.

Can anyonw tell me precisely where Bill "Peanuts" West and George Frenn used to train?

WOW! Onlyme is going to have a lot of reading here and I am sure he will recall lots of this to add his comments too. You got to have him show you his high school picture. He was a cute "LITTLE" kid who looked like Beaver Cleaver and I always  have a laff when I see that picture. So does Keith!

Thanks for all this info, folks. I too have to agree that all this stuff seems like it just happened yesterday with the only difference being that it's a bit hard to remember. Kind of like looking at life through a fog.

And I gotta say this too ....... Of all the people I've met in this lifetime, the most memorable group  of earthlings are those who you are in armed combat with..... and those who lift heavy objects to add a bit of muscle here and there.

There must be some relation there.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #321 on: April 09, 2005, 10:10:16 AM »
Yes I heard that Dr. Kerr's book was available somewhere but I can't find the link or remember the title of the book. Like I said I had it but it's been in storage for years. 619Rules help us out.

Crownshep... I had to have known you'd come through with pictures of that crazy equipment. Ray Mentzer had a couple of the Kaiser machines at Muscle Mill but one of the members who was a machinist for the studio's replaced the hydraulic with a "souped-up" version so the tension go about 8 times higher than before. It was very cool because you could do negatives and things that you'd need 4 spotters to do with weights but only one guy to "press the button" one the hydraulic while you did your set. However nothing in my opinion will ever replace cold hard steel. It was a nice axillary exercise though.

Kevin when I was a kid I had a neighbor give me a stack of old Muscular Developments and Strength and Health magazines. One of them had an article about Bill Peanuts west. I can’t remember where it said he trained.

There were so many small dungeon-like independent gyms around in the 70’s and still in the 80’s. Most are just all gone now.

I know in the eighties I was in a corporate sales position and Century City/Beverly Hills  was my territory.  There was a real cool gym in kind of a  red brick building called L.A Gym great place.

I found out recently that two very old gyms still exist but of course with new owners. Bill Pearls Gym on Manchester Blvd in Inglewood is still there. The other one is The Easton Brothers Gym (Vince Gironda once said that it was actually the Easton Brothers who “invented” the preacher curl bench) is still there but with updated equipment.   

I’m not familiar with the guy’s in Orange County that you mentioned. Maybe someone else.

Who remembers the name of the blonde guy from Orange County (80’s) with really thick incredible abs. He was a top contender for the Cal and maybe the nationals but then I never heard about him again.

Kevin… have you read Dick Tylers book “West Coast Bodybuilding Scene”? I think you would really enjoy it. You can get it from www.davedraper.com
and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #322 on: April 09, 2005, 11:26:48 AM »
Robert Kerr's book is still out there to purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/9996739139//104-7004853-3995912?condition=all

Crownshep-Thanks for the Questar water machine pics, those are a blast from the 80's. I have to agree with Max_Rep on the Kaiser machines giving incredible negative resistance. The ones I trained on at Frog's Solana Beach had foot controls, and once you did a concentric contraction you could just fire up the pumps with the foot controls and just try to hold onto the handles as hard as you could (loved the row machine)- as the pumps pushed the machine handles back to the starting position on the eccentric contraction. Wild way to finish off a workout.

The blond Orange County guy Max_Rep is speaking about?..?... maybe Kevin Hall. Not a mass monster, but had great muscle shape-along the lines of a Flex Wheeler. He was in the Cal a few times, and placed top 3 or 4 at the USA more than once. Was from Costa Mesa.

Kevin-thanks for confirming the Wally Boyko shows using the audience clapping to determine a winner. He did put a number of the shows on at the Anaheim Convention Center-which is directly across the street from the Disneyland parking lot-which is now gone and replaced with The California Adventure. Arnold was always there as a special guest for one day during the 2-3 day event. Jon Jordan, Mr California, won one of those shows, as did Mishay.

The 88 Cal was one of the best, if not the best, BBing show ever put on. Ran smooth-was over at 10:30 PM (instead of 1 AM like most). But of the many shows I have been at-this one stands out because of the many things that happened. Kay Baxter was killed in a car crash that day-and Barry Clothier (show promoter-BBer) had to inform the audience-and it was a shocker. Mishay Santos sat directly behind me (what luck). Gold's Gym Pacific Beach (my gym) won the womens overall (Cathy Wright) and the mens overall (Rick Stephenson). The overall winners coming from the same gym was very unusual and I don't think had ever happened up until that point, and not likely to happen again (until 1995 when the overall winners were again from my gym-Frog's Solana Beach- Garrett Downing and Valerie Scott). That was the first time I ever saw Raye Hollitt and Tonya Knight. That was the first night I ever heard of Joe Valdez, who approached me at a Denny's restaurant after the show and out of the blue was asking who I was and what shows I had been in (and in general freaked me out a bit)-I had no idea he was Rory Leidelmyer's photographer until Rick Stephenson told me later on. It was held at the Paramount Theater in Oakland-a great venue. Troy Zuchalotto was there showing off his major league guns (He won the show 2 years earlier in 86).

What a time the 80's were!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #323 on: April 09, 2005, 01:55:12 PM »
Thanks for the link 619Rules...

It wasn't Kevin Hall. Great bodybuilder though. Man
and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #324 on: April 09, 2005, 08:02:32 PM »
Rules, thanks for the Kerr book info

Speaking of "dungeon" type gyms, I bet there are less than 10 people still living who have actually trained at the Dungeon in Santa Monica. Dave Draper happens to be one of those ten. And me too, but it was so long ago, that I can hardly remember it

I do recall steps right off the street leading down to a dark hole underneath a building on 2nd or 3rd street in Santa Monica and most of the weights all over the floor. And it was very dark. Could that have possibly been the first hard core gym in the Santa Monica/Venice area?

I worked out at Pearl's many times but his place was in Pasadena. I knew nothing about the gym he had in Inglewood. I don't even know where Inglewood is. A guy name Solo was in charge during Bill's absense and an up and comer by the name of Rob Johnson was close friends with Bill and Judy. He was heading to be one of the best in California until he got under a too heavy bench and got injured and shortly thereafter returned to the midwest someplace. Can you refresh my mind on the Easton Brothers? They must have entered the scene after 1970.

Didn't Kevin Hall used to date Dianna Dennis?

I never read Tyler's book but I will check it out.

I do think Wally Boykos show was the Superbowl of Bodybuilding as someone mentioned earlier. But I am surprised that Arnold showed up for his events cause he was not an NPC or IFBB promoter and Weider obliged to stand by the NPC only as agreed upon at a meeting we had years earlier.

I knew Barry Clothier when he trained at Gold's on 2nd street in Santa Monica. Soon thereafter I think he ran a gym owned by Ed in the SF Bay area someplace. I have not see Barry since then.

I also knew  Rick Stephenson pretty well back then and had a short visit with him and his partners when they opened the Pacific Beach Golds. I forgot his partner's name but he was a good looken kid who had some great potential and planned to compete. But I never heard of him aften that. I reall some neon lights in that Gold's. Does Rick still own it or what?

I gotta say that  Joe Valdez is one of the nicest guys I've met in this sport ..... Bar none! We manage to carry on pretty long conversations when we run into each other. Joe is a collector of birthdays and remembers them all. Joe is presently in a home and not feeling too well on occasion.

The 80's might have been great but the "earliers" were better, I've seen em all so you'll have to take my word on that. This may hurt a few but the biggest disappointment in this sport has been the Personal Training Business which I won't go into right now, but I do think I casually mentioned it earlier.

Thanks, all..........  Kev