Author Topic: "Inside MMA" poll results: Who can beat Fedor Emelianenko? WHO DO YOU THINK CAN?  (Read 4056 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
With two recent high-profile victories over former UFC champions, a WAMMA heavyweight title, and his current standing as one of the world's top pound-for-pound fighters, Fedor Emelianenko appears unstoppable.

However, in our latest MMAjunkie.com/"Inside MMA" poll, we asked which fighter – assuming contractual and promotional issues weren't a problem – has the best shot at dethroning the world's top-ranked heavyweight.

And it was a blowout.

In fact, a large portion of the voters feel we have to look no further than the UFC's current heavyweight champion to find the fighter most capable of beating Emelianenko. Nearly half (44 percent) of those who cast votes did so for Brock Lesnar.

Despite his 3-1 record, Lesnar catapulted into a heavyweight worldwide top-10 ranking following a second-round TKO of then-UFC champ Randy Couture in November. The victory followed a dominant unanimous-decision win over Heath Herring in August. The two victories have earned the former WWE champion legitimacy in MMA and have many fans salivating over an intriguing (but unlikely) Emelianenko vs. Lesnar bout.

Coming in second with 16 percent of the vote was Frank Mir, who recently scored a shocking upset of interim UFC heavyweight champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92. Mir, who first won the UFC belt when he was just 25 years old, was once of MMA's most promising heavyweights, but a 2004 motorcycle accident left him a shell of his former self. However, with a new stand-up game and his upset of Nogueira, his stock is the highest it's been in half a decade.

A trio of former UFC champions rounded out the voting. Emelianenko's likely next opponent, Josh Barnett, earned 13 percent of the vote. Andrei Arlovski, who suffered a first-round knockout to Emelianenko last month (despite some early success in the fight), received 12 percent of the vote. And Couture, who spent most of 2008 campaigning for a fight with Emelianenko while engaged in a contract dispute with the UFC, got 10 percent of the vote.

(Five percent of the voters chose the "Other" option.)

For me I would still say NOG, but after the showing he put on I don't know if he has it in him to get beat on for two rounds, so I would say Mir might stand the best chance, what do you guys think?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
brock has the skills to beat fedor,using those skills followed by a perfect gameplan is a whole other question.the reason im saying brock is the best pick cause brock has heavy and fast hands for a man his size,also i dont think fedor will be able to take brock down unless its after brock gets caught with some good,clean,fedor sledgehammers.on the other hand,i think brock will be able to take fedor down,every awesome wrestler that fedor has faced took him down,coleman,randleman and fujita had fedor on his back, but couldnt do any  damage so it meant little imo.brock has the tools but needs another year or so to be ready imo,right now i think fedor will catch him in a slick sub or tko brock.in a year or 2 brock will be a legit contender for fedor,him beating fedor is a whole other issue.ive always liked fedor but after seeing that baddest man on the planet series thats on the boards now i just became a huge fan,not for his fighting,i knew he could fight and was the best,but rather cause of his sincere nature and loyalty to his friends and family.his devotion to god really impressed me cause i rely on the good lord jesus everyday also, to help and protect me and my loved ones.we all know if fedor wanted to he could move to vegas and be a huge celebrity,hitting all the parties and having everyone on his jock.but hes better then that,i believe that vegas nightlife lifestyle would ruin him just like it did to some of the other former ufc champs,im not gonna name any names cause i dont want to get into any debates,lol.fedor is the perfect representative for our growing sport of mma imo,we dont need any trash talkers repping our sport,guys like fedor,gsp,randy,even rashad is starting to show alot of maturity as well and is becoming a great rep for our sport,nothing against guys like baroni,gilbert yvel and others that act like thugs outside the octagon, but they are bad for the our sport.i think brock is still got that wwe wrestling arrogance to him,remember when he beat heath?he was pointing at heath and laughing,thats kid crap,not a guy we want repping our sport until he starts showing some respect to his opponants.fedor really impressed me yesterday when i watched that series,like ive always said,im not a fan of a mma fighter only cause of his ability in the cage,outside the cage means just as much to me in determining if im gonna support that fighter or not,alot of guys dont like tito anymore,i could understand why with the chuck duck thing,but alot of people dont know that tito donates alot of money and does charity events for st judes children cancer hospitals and toys for tots,he raises presents and money for kids in orphanages who dont really know what a good christmas is,imo every kid should feel the joy of christmas.tito is a very outspoken guy and sometimes gets alittle carried away but no ones perfect,his time and effort he puts forth for the less fortunate and sick kids still keeps me supporting tito.
R

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
brock has the skills to beat fedor,using those skills followed by a perfect gameplan is a whole other question.the reason im saying brock is the best pick cause brock has heavy and fast hands for a man his size,also i dont think fedor will be able to take brock down unless its after brock gets caught with some good,clean,fedor sledgehammers.on the other hand,i think brock will be able to take fedor down,every awesome wrestler that fedor has faced took him down,coleman,randleman and fujita had fedor on his back, but couldnt do any  damage so it meant little imo.brock has the tools but needs another year or so to be ready imo,right now i think fedor will catch him in a slick sub or tko brock.in a year or 2 brock will be a legit contender for fedor,him beating fedor is a whole other issue.ive always liked fedor but after seeing that baddest man on the planet series thats on the boards now i just became a huge fan,not for his fighting,i knew he could fight and was the best,but rather cause of his sincere nature and loyalty to his friends and family.his devotion to god really impressed me cause i rely on the good lord jesus everyday also, to help and protect me and my loved ones.we all know if fedor wanted to he could move to vegas and be a huge celebrity,hitting all the parties and having everyone on his jock.but hes better then that,i believe that vegas nightlife lifestyle would ruin him just like it did to some of the other former ufc champs,im not gonna name any names cause i dont want to get into any debates,lol.fedor is the perfect representative for our growing sport of mma imo,we dont need any trash talkers repping our sport,guys like fedor,gsp,randy,even rashad is starting to show alot of maturity as well and is becoming a great rep for our sport,nothing against guys like baroni,gilbert yvel and others that act like thugs outside the octagon, but they are bad for the our sport.i think brock is still got that wwe wrestling arrogance to him,remember when he beat heath?he was pointing at heath and laughing,thats kid crap,not a guy we want repping our sport until he starts showing some respect to his opponants.fedor really impressed me yesterday when i watched that series,like ive always said,im not a fan of a mma fighter only cause of his ability in the cage,outside the cage means just as much to me in determining if im gonna support that fighter or not,alot of guys dont like tito anymore,i could understand why with the chuck duck thing,but alot of people dont know that tito donates alot of money and does charity events for st judes children cancer hospitals and toys for tots,he raises presents and money for kids in orphanages who dont really know what a good christmas is,imo every kid should feel the joy of christmas.tito is a very outspoken guy and sometimes gets alittle carried away but no ones perfect,his time and effort he puts forth for the less fortunate and sick kids still keeps me supporting tito.

Can anyone read this and decipher?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
With more experience, I think Brock would have the best shot, but right now, I would say after seeing his performance against Nog, I would say Mir has the best chance at beating him.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

20inch calves

• Getbig V

i can't say that lesnar has the skills YET i do however feel with his strength and size he would have a punchers chance against fedor but i would never bet against fedor
irongearco.com

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
When Fedor loses it will be by a KO strike.

So I say a juiced Overeem has the best shot.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
You guys that hype up Lesnar to near immmortal proportions forget two things... 1) He's only had 4 pro fights
2) He's never really been chin checked, for all we know he could have a glass jaw, I want to see him face some serious strikers, get hit on the button and then we'll see.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Heavy weight division ;) probably not going to get beat.... ;D

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
all this hype around Brock is the same we already saw millions of times around guys like Sokodjou, Wanderlei Silva when he came to UFC, Bob Sapp and a very little time ago, Kimbo Slice (yeah, look for some comments about him some months ago... ) and now even with the new roided version of Overeen, that while is a good fighter, he is being around for years and never became a really top fighter...

For me, its not a fact of who can win, but how someone can beat him, and for me, for the next couple of years at least, the only way to beat Fedor is to provoke a cut in him, and win by medical stoppage....
!

ball

• Getbig II
too bad crocop turned into a wuss :-\.
a prime crocop would definitely push him

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
too bad crocop turned into a wuss :-\.
a prime crocop would definitely push him

well, we already saw this, and Cro Cop in top form wasnt enough to beat Fedor
!

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
vitor belford, his hands are  faster than andrei's and good straight punches with a ton of power than would stop  break through fedors looping punches.  clinch/ground vitor would be killed but he has the best punchers  chance and thats the only way i see fedor being beat.

shrek

• Getbig IV
brock with more time and expeirience

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
vitor belford, his hands are  faster than andrei's and good straight punches with a ton of power than would stop  break through fedors looping punches.  clinch/ground vitor would be killed but he has the best punchers  chance and thats the only way i see fedor being beat.

Vitor has the tools, but even i doubt he would win, and after all Vitor seems that doesnt want to fight in the heavies anymore. Hes my favorite fighter, and i myself think he should fight in the heavies but well... its life.

Vitor has the potential to beat Fedor, and i always thought that...but the actual circumstances make this almost impossible

Vitor in top form agains Fedor for me it would be the best fighter off all times, better than Fedor vs Cro Cop (well, im very biased in this case  ;D)
!

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
vitor at affliction 2 looked as good as he ever has. could happen in japan lol

zimanu

• Getbig II
Right now, I think only Frank Mir "could" beat him...

As for the new guys coming in, Cheick Kongo and Cain Velasquez could become interesting enough, but that's relative to many factors of experience and evolution...

Arlovsky prooved that guys that come strong like Lesnar and so many hewavyweights can't face a guy who slowmos time and touches the button after "looking" in trouble...

Fedor is the only guy I know who avoids that much punishment and is still so precise in giving some... Machida may be similar to that, but needs to back out a lot to avoid the shot, while Fedor is always close to you while avoiding the shots...

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Right now, I think only Frank Mir "could" beat him...

As for the new guys coming in, Cheick Kongo and Cain Velasquez could become interesting enough, but that's relative to many factors eo experience and evolution...

Arlovsky prooved that guys that come strong like Lesnar and so many hewavyweights can't face a guy who slowmos time and touches the button after "looking" in trouble...

Fedor is the only guy I know who avoids that much punishment and is still so precise in giving some... Machida may be similar to that, but needs to back out a lot to avoid the shot, while Fedor is always close to you while avoiding the shots...

I think Fedor's biggest 2 strengths are

1) His calmness and lack of emotion

2) his transition's

zimanu

• Getbig II
I thought this was "à propos"

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
what a disrespectful piece of shit, love to see fedor snap his leg clean in half then get up and help him walk back to his stretcher