Author Topic: .  (Read 5688 times)

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
Re: New Computer - Need some help
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
you aint going to play any videogame decently if your system specs are below this:

C2D 3.0
ATI 3850 512 mb
2 gig of ram
7200 trs/ min SATA 2 harddrive

check the computer I linked bro.  He could easily play wow on that computer.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
check the computer I linked bro.  He could easily play wow on that computer.

you obviously have absolutely no clue about computers. Absolutely all components of the computer in this link are way below the specs needed to run even a pretty old game like WOW in decent conditions.

Dont listen to "grab an umbrella" if you want to buy computers. sorry, "bro".

I said everything that needed to be said about what you have to do to get a good computer depending of the use you re going to make of it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »
build your own system its more stable and better people who complain about windows are the folks who bought from dealers i.e. dell, hp, etc..who load up the computers with 3x types of firewalls, scanners, etc...6 times of media players etc....

I agree there is a great deal of advantages of getting a high-end system and building it yourself.  I have done that in the past.  However, for me, I prefer something simple and hard-working and very cheap.  I currently have three computers running in my office at once, and 2 more in the house for others.  For me, the call was simple.  Three very good computers @ 400 each beats out a reallllly nice machine for $1200 or $1500.

I have an A+ certification and did build systems for a living at one time while working as a network admin.  And really, in this vista/xp environment, it's just easier to have the machine done for you.  Just my 2 cents.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
you obviously have absolutely no clue about computers. Absolutely all components of the computer in this link are way below the specs needed to run even a pretty old game like WOW in decent conditions.

Dont listen to "grab an umbrella" if you want to buy computers. sorry, "bro".

I said everything that needed to be said about what you have to do to get a good computer depending of the use you re going to make of it.

Bro outside of the video card that is a solid computer.  4gb of ddr2 ram, not the best, but still fast.  Quad core processor and decent sized h/d.  Apparently you don't know much about computers dude, wow doesn't use a lot of resources and a lot of guys play that game with signifigantly lower specs than what are on that computer.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »
Bro outside of the video card that is a solid computer.  4gb of ddr2 ram, not the best, but still fast.  Quad core processor and decent sized h/d.  Apparently you don't know much about computers dude, wow doesn't use a lot of resources and a lot of guys play that game with signifigantly lower specs than what are on that computer.
he wants to play. If he wants to play he ll need a better gfx card. if he wants to change the gfx card he has to change the power suply. Its an assembler computer, which means the 300 watts powersuply is pure crap and that most of the time you cant replace it. The assembler (dell, ibm, packard bell etc) computers offer 0 evolutivity it means that once it gets too old, you have to buy a whole new desktop/tower.
All assembler computer have custom motherboards with tons of limitations. No overclocking opportunities.

99.9% of softwares/games dont require more than 2 gig of ram currently. Biggest (demanding) apps, mostly games, need 3 ghz.   4 is pretty useless right now but it might be useful in the near future.
Most computer assemblers put lof of memory in their current computers only because memory is cheaper nowadays. Not because it is needed.

Also, there is a huge difference between recommended specs on a game's box, and REAL specs needed to run the game smoothly/decently. Any nerd who's been into videos games and computers since at least one or two years knows that.

You know nothing about computers. Please, stop posting in this thread, you re misleading bigger noobs than you.

Do some more researches cause your advices suck.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »
he wants to play. If he wants to play he ll need a better gfx card. if he wants to change the gfx card he has to change the power suply. Its an assembler computer, which means the 300 watts powersuply is pure crap and that most of the time you cant replace it. The assembler (dell, ibm, packard bell etc) computers offer 0 evolutivity it means that once it gets too old, you have to buy a whole new computer.

Also, there is a huge difference between recommended specs on a game's box, and REAL specs needed to run the game smoothly/decently. Any nerd who's been into videos games and computers ince at least one or two years knows that.

You know nothing about computers. Please, stop posting in this thread.

I agree with the video card/power supply statement, but again we are talking about playing a game like WOW, not cod4 or crysis.  If he wanted a computer for that I would recommend something better.  As it is he will be able to play wow fine, but it wont be super high res.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »

WOW is not very graphics intensive but if he wants to play Crysis which appears to be the cutting edge right now or most FPS's he's going to need duel cards,duel chips and a good board. Not to mention good cooling and power supply etc. For 3 grand he can get a good boutique rig or even a Dell.  None of this matters if he's going to surf and email. In another 6 months the only thing Dell about my current computer will be the name on the case. Computers are a raquet but graphics cards have come way down. Once u get past the motherboard, building the thing isn't that bad.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
I agree with the video card/power supply statement, but again we are talking about playing a game like WOW, not cod4 or crysis.  If he wanted a computer for that I would recommend something better.  As it is he will be able to play wow fine, but it wont be super high res.

I didn't think COD4 was that bad. I played it on a laptop and it did ok. His budget is good enough he could spend more on a good sound system and HD flatscreen.
L

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
I didn't think COD4 was that bad. I played it on a laptop and it did ok. His budget is good enough he could spend more on a good sound system and HD flatscreen.

Yeah COD4 wasn't terrible, but still required a good deal of resources.  I wasn't saying he was planning on playing crysis, the exact opposite.  But I am building him a computer right now for under 2000.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »
Games wise it was great COD5 sucked....rail BS. He should be able to get a great comp for under 2000.
L

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »
Games wise it was great COD5 sucked....rail BS. He should be able to get a great comp for under 2000.

I'm building him one right now.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
1    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK
Item #: N82E16820231230
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy    -$30.00 Instant
   $169.99
$139.99
1    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q
Item #: N82E16827151173
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy       $26.99
1    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)
Item #: N82E16822148337
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy    -$10.00 Instant
   $139.99
$129.99
1    MSI N295GTX-M2D1792 GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card    MSI N295GTX-M2D1792 GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Item #: N82E16814127404
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy    -$5.00 Instant
   $504.99
$499.99
1    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
Item #: N82E16819115202
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy       $289.99
1    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128375
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy    -$10.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate
   $209.99
$199.99
1    PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply    PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817341011
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy    -$70.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
   $169.99
$99.99

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
If you're mentally challenged or a complete idiot, get a mac...

if you actually know something about computers and want to have control over your system get a nice PC from Tiger Direct, that place is sick... $400 you got a great up to date machine.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2009, 03:30:35 PM »
I recently built this 8)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB PC2-8500
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB
MOBO: Asus M3A78-T AMD 790GX AM2+
PSU: Corsair TX 650 W
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB 7200rpm
DVDRW: samsung sh-s223f 22x sata
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
tank u jesus

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
If you're mentally challenged or a complete idiot, get a mac...

if you actually know something about computers and want to have control over your system get a nice PC from Tiger Direct, that place is sick... $400 you got a great up to date machine.

you still have to know your stuff before customizing your computer there... but i agree if you know what to ask for, they are competitive and profesional.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
I recently built this 8)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB PC2-8500
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB
MOBO: Asus M3A78-T AMD 790GX AM2+
PSU: Corsair TX 650 W
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB 7200rpm
DVDRW: samsung sh-s223f 22x sata
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

not bad. how much?

power supply a bit too powerful for what's inside. Might be usefull if you had a lot of external peripherals (usb external drives for example).

wouldnt have picked an AMD / athlon motherboard though.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
not bad. how much?

wouldnt have pick an AMD / athlon motherboard though.

Okay so I just built that computer above, the only thing I left out was a case, and I think my total ended up being like 1200 dollars.  That computer will play pretty much any video game out right now.  Thoughts?

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
Okay so I just built that computer above, the only thing I left out was a case, and I think my total ended up being like 1200 dollars.  That computer will play pretty much any video game out right now.  Thoughts?
notgoing to read all that shit u cut n pasted. sum the main components.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
not bad. how much?

power supply a bit too powerful for what's inside. Might be usefull if you had a lot of external peripherals (usb external drives for example).

wouldnt have picked an AMD / athlon motherboard though.

around 1000, I do use a couple of usb gizmos and i might add another gfx card in the future so i wanted to be sure i had enough wattage for that, better safe than sorry.

Why not AMD? I spent 50 more than what an E8400 costs and got 2 more cores. + that intel socket is dead and i7 is very expensive....bang for buck = AMD wins
tank u jesus

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
around 1000, I do use a couple of usb gizmos and i might add another gfx card in the future so i wanted to be sure i had enough wattage for that, better safe than sorry.

Why not AMD? I spent 50 more than what an E8400 costs and got 2 more cores. + that intel socket is dead and i7 is very expensive....bang for buck = AMD wins
amd dual or quad cores arent no intel dual or quads... intel is simply ahead in terms of cpus.

Now everything else is fine and to be honnest, considering you bought a powerful/high end cpu even if it's amd and less capable than intel in the long term use it's still good enough for everything you do with it.

price is great too. taxes included? monitor? pre-built?

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
amd dual or quad cores arent no intel dual or quads... intel is simply ahead in terms of cpus.

Now everything else is fine and to be honnest, considering you bought a powerful/high end cpu even if it's amd and less capable than intel in the long term use it's still good enough for everything you do with it.

price is great too. taxes included? monitor? pre-built?

Yes price includes tax and everything i listed...no monitor or keyboard etc, already have that stuff. I ordered the parts and built it myself or maybe assembled is the right word.
tank u jesus

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
even with a quad processor getbig still hangs up...but you have to get a hp w2207 h monitor, that or the 20", great design, will probably be inducted in to MOMA.

Macs are for obsessive cultish types... I'd stay away. Mac users are weird.

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
even with a quad processor getbig still hangs up...but you have to get a hp w2207 h monitor, that or the 20", great design, will probably be inducted in to MOMA.

Macs are for obsessive cultish types... I'd stay away. Mac users are weird.

Just make sure and get at least a va panel lcd.  Tn's suck.  There is a refurb 24" lcd va on tigerdirect right now for 200 dollars.  Its a steal, if anyone is interested I got the link.

flagadajones

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
Yes price includes tax and everything i listed...no monitor or keyboard etc, already have that stuff. I ordered the parts and built it myself or maybe assembled is the right word.
great deal. how long did it take you to build it up, OS installation included ?

jetpower

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
I agree there is a great deal of advantages of getting a high-end system and building it yourself.  I have done that in the past.  However, for me, I prefer something simple and hard-working and very cheap.  I currently have three computers running in my office at once, and 2 more in the house for others.  For me, the call was simple.  Three very good computers @ 400 each beats out a reallllly nice machine for $1200 or $1500.

I have an A+ certification and did build systems for a living at one time while working as a network admin.  And really, in this vista/xp environment, it's just easier to have the machine done for you.  Just my 2 cents.
Best advice.

Go to Best Buy, get a Dell (ignore those bagging on it - it's trendy to rip Dell now). It saves you from having to know how to put it together and maintain it. And because it's Best Buy, if something breaks, or you have a question, you can just run over with the case...Good luck with that buying online and/or building yourself.

I have a high-end Dell from Best Buy that runs perfect. I play WoW on it all the time. It was only $1500 and I added RAM. I also have a custom liquid cooled PC -- runs the same...identical ('cept the liquid cooled one gurgles/burps at times, and is loud).

You can also do the Apple thing if you're ok paying the "coolness" premium -- it plays WoW just fine too - I have a couple Mac WoW friends.