Author Topic: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again  (Read 63555 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up CA governor's race
« Reply #350 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
brace youself for an extremely subjective, opinionated assessment of California, Void of any real facts, but yet, passed on as truths.

i have this "guy" pegged

I didn't see any facts showing how well California is doing, but I recently talked to a business owner in California who said things are pretty bad. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
I didn't see any facts showing how well California is doing, but I recently talked to a business owner in California who said things are pretty bad. 

Last week I got the highest appraisal I've ever had on my house.  I hope things continue to go as badly.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Whitman to replace Apotheker as HP’s CEO
« Reply #352 on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
Last week I got the highest appraisal I've ever had on my house.  I hope things continue to go as badly.

It's good for you, but given that Cali has some of the lowest home ownership rates in the nation, the anecdotal evidence just isn't convincing.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »

It's good for you, but given that Cali has some of the lowest home ownership rates in the nation, the anecdotal evidence just isn't convincing.

granted it's a sample size of one but it's not like my house is the only one that has gone up in value

BTW - if you want to see something that doesn't even rise to standard of a written appraisal comparing market values of real property you can take the statement of a guy who says things are "pretty bad?

Is that supposed to be any value (I know it's not your statement - I'm just asking)

I'm sure I can find many business owners in CA who will say things are not that bad or even pretty good so maybe we should look at job growth, tax revenue, etc... instead of a guy saying his business is pretty bad.  Maybe he just has a shitty business

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #354 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

Home ownership is kind of a scam to be honest... You usually pay twice what it's worth and then you have to fix your own shit that breaks, just so you can hopefully break even after 15-30 years.

That's just my take on it... I sold my house back in 2007 before the market completely collapsed and I made an ok chunk of change, but I wouldn't want to do that again.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Meg Whitman Eye's Senate Run
« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2014, 04:32:52 AM »
How is that 30 Billion dollar hole working out ?   

Just fine thanks.  Hole has been filled and the state is in the black.  :-*

Courtesy of Jerry Brown.  You may recall that Whitman wanted to cut taxes which would have taken about an additional 15 billion out of state coffers. ::)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2014, 05:04:04 AM »
Just fine thanks.  Hole has been filled and the state is in the black.  :-*

Courtesy of Jerry Brown.  You may recall that Whitman wanted to cut taxes which would have taken about an additional 15 billion out of state coffers. ::)
Really? Calis turned it around? Good for them.

Now hopefully some of the Californians that fled up here when California was going under will move back down there.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »
Really? Calis turned it around? Good for them.

Now hopefully some of the Californians that fled up here when California was going under will move back down there.

Please note: the huge budget hole was created under Arnold S. and repaired under Jerry Brown.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:40 AM »
"If Jerry Brown is the next governor of California, a Democratic governor with a Democratically controlled Legislature, you won't recognize California in two or three or four years," she said. "So I will provide a check to that Legislature and I will also lead that Legislature."

--Meg Whitman

Not only do we recognize California, we are loving it!  Brown plugged the $30 billion hole left by Arnold.  He did not lay off 40,000 state workers as Meg pledged to do, and he continues to pull us back onto solid ground after Arnold ran the state over a cliff.

Again - read my link - CALI is in utter freefall as result of your out of control govt.  

Again, that was brought to you by Arnold and since cleaned up by Brown.  8)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: June 05, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
Like I said - I am going to pull out a lawn chair with a case of beer and thoroughly enjoy your state imploding when you clowns elect Brown. 

Did you choke on your beer yet?  ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2016, 10:40:43 AM »
Meg Whitman, Another Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail
by Alexander Burns

BEDFORD, N.H. — Carly Fiorina has run for president on her credentials as a Silicon Valley executive, presenting her tenure leading Hewlett-Packard as a case study in bold leadership.

But a different Hewlett-Packard chief executive hit the trail in New Hampshire on Tuesday. Meg Whitman, the former eBay executive who has led Hewlett-Packard since 2011, appeared on Tuesday morning alongside Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, and plans to campaign with him throughout the week.

Ms. Whitman and Ms. Fiorina have a history: They ran on the same statewide ticket in California in 2010, Ms. Whitman as the Republican nominee for governor and Ms. Fiorina as the party’s candidate for Senate. Both were defeated.

Delivering a joint pep talk with Mr. Christie to supporters at his campaign headquarters, Ms. Whitman praised him as the candidate best equipped to manage the presidency. Without mentioning either President Obama or Mr. Christie’s Republican opponents by name, Ms. Whitman said it would be a mistake to turn over the presidency to another first-term senator.

In a brief interview, Ms. Whitman said she admired Ms. Fiorina, but believed that she lacked the necessary experience to be president.

“It’s important to have run something big and have been in political office before you become president of the United States,” Ms. Whitman said. “You’ve got to have the government experience and you’ve got to have run very large organizations that serve people.”

She added, “I have a lot of respect for her, but I think Chris Christie is our best man for the job.”

Ms. Fiorina won about 2 percent of the vote in Iowa on Monday and polls have placed her near the back of the pack in New Hampshire.

Snapping photographs with Mr. Christie’s supporters — including one man wearing a Hewlett-Packard shirt, who identified himself as an employee of the company — Ms. Whitman joked about her unsuccessful campaign for governor six years ago.

One lesson she learned, Ms. Whitman said, was that it’s terribly difficult to run as a Republican in such an overwhelmingly Democratic state. She might have fared better in Colorado, Ms. Whitman said, noting that she and her husband have a home there.

Asked if she was truly considering a campaign in Colorado, Ms. Whitman laughed and responded, “Just joking.”

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Meg Whitman Assails Chris Christie for Backing Donald Trump
by Maggie Haberman

Meg Whitman, the Hewlett-Packard executive who was a top supporter of Gov. Chris Christie’s presidential campaign, on Sunday criticized Mr. Christie for supporting Donald J. Trump, assailing him for “political opportunism” and calling on Mr. Trump’s other supporters and donors to walk away from him.

The comments from Ms. Whitman came in a statement to NBC News two days after Mr. Christie made his surprise endorsement of Mr. Trump, someone the governor had previously suggested was ill-prepared to become president. Mr. Christie, a former chairman of the Republican Governors Association, has since reached out to other elected officials, and called his donor network, to seek more establishment support for Mr. Trump.

“Chris Christie’s endorsement of Donald Trump is an astonishing display of political opportunism,” Ms. Whitman, who was a national finance co-chair of the Christie campaign, said in the statement.

“Donald Trump is unfit to be president,” Ms. Whitman said. “He is a dishonest demagogue who plays to our worst fears. Trump would take America on a dangerous journey. Christie knows all that and indicated as much many times publicly. The governor is mistaken if he believes he can now count on my support, and I call on Christie’s donors and supporters to reject the governor and Donald Trump outright. I believe they will. For some of us, principle and country still matter.”

Mr. Christie, the governor of New Jersey, dropped out of the presidential race after finishing in an embarrassing sixth place in the New Hampshire primary. He could not be reached for comment.

absfabs

• Getbig III
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
under capitalism houses which are consumption, would go down in price with quality up like personal computer

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »
I can't wait till Cali collapses - its going to be joyous to watch the far left idiots sit and wonder why.  

Like I said - I am going to pull out a lawn chair with a case of beer and thoroughly enjoy your state imploding when you clowns elect Brown.  

Have you committed suicide yet?  ::)

With strong new job approval numbers, Jerry Brown chalks up success to 'skills' of governing
by John Myers

As he stood behind a lectern to announce a brokered deal to raise California's minimum wage, Gov. Jerry Brown seemed unfazed by the suggestion that the agreement offered a glimpse into his political success. The compromise, Brown said, was simply a product of knowledge gained from years on the job.

"Governing is not about just having some idea, or some slogan, or some sound bite," he said at Monday's news conference. "Governing does have its own skills."

Those are skills, it seems, that voters think Brown is putting to good use.

A new USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times poll finds Brown — who is entering the sixth year of an unprecedented run as governor — with solid job approval numbers across a wide spectrum of California voters.

Overall, 60% of those polled approve of how Brown is doing his job as governor. Brown's recent showing is 7 percentage points higher than a similar poll taken late last summer and is tied for his second-highest job approval rating since returning to office in 2011.

"He embraces everything the job is supposed to be," said Rob Stutzman, a GOP political strategist who led the campaign of Brown's 2010 gubernatorial rival, Republican Meg Whitman.

Although it's not surprising the governor wins praise from his own party faithful — 80% of Democrats approve of his job performance in the new survey — Brown's real strength may rest on his ability to placate some of his natural political enemies. Twenty-seven percent of Republicans polled say they too approve of the governor's job performance.

Even more notable, 19% of registered Republicans who say they plan to vote in June for businessman Donald Trump nonetheless approve of how Brown is handling things in Sacramento.

Brown's job approval rating seems to transcend party lines.

In the new poll's subset of adults who said that California is headed in the wrong direction, 32% still approve of Brown's efforts. Then there are the 35% of those who say that illegal immigration is a "crisis" but approve of the governor's record on the job, which includes substantial new benefits for some of those without legal immigration status.

And there's this finding from the new poll: 23% of Californians who disapprove of how President Obama is doing his job feel just fine about Brown.

"He does not behave like a typical politician," Stutzman said of the governor. "There's something to it that people find refreshing."

In the state Capitol, Brown has cultivated the perception that he's the saucer that cools the otherwise liberal cup of hot Democratic politics, often clashing with the most progressive factions of his party. Some of his efforts include refusing to restore hundreds of millions of dollars in recession-era cuts to social services, rejecting efforts to ban oil drilling by hydraulic fracturing and vetoing sweeping gun-control proposals.

"He has disappointed me at times because I have my own view of the world," said state Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), one of the longest-serving legislators. "But in general, I marvel at his thoughtfulness, his comprehensive understanding of very complex issues and his political sense of what is doable and what is not."

It's an admiration also shared by those outside Sacramento.

"The thing I've appreciated about Gov. Brown's leadership and legacy is that he's as idealistic as they come, but also as pragmatic as they come," Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said. "He holds his cards close to his chest, but he plays them very well for the people of California."

That kind of political acumen may be better now than it was in his first iteration as governor in the 1970s and early 1980s. Even so, Brown faces sizable political hurdles before 2016 is over. He will no doubt need the current reservoir of voter goodwill on efforts such as his controversial ballot initiative to overhaul prisoner parole.

Some observers say that Brown, who turns 78 on April 7, has succeeded largely because he no longer comes across as an elected leader in need of headlines or TV news cameras.

"The perception in California is if Sacramento doesn't make the news, it must mean they're doing a good job" as lawmakers, Stutzman said.

Brown was especially off the public radar in negotiating the minimum-wage deal, which was quietly worked on for months behind closed doors. In announcing the agreement to reporters, the governor conceded that his overall success is no doubt linked to the improving California economy since inheriting a $26-billion budget shortfall in 2011.

In April 2011, a USC/Los Angeles Times poll put Brown's approval at 44%. In contrast, his job-approval numbers have now been above the 50% mark for more than two years. At the same time, governors of other big states have found less favor.

In January, Brown projected the state was on the way to collecting a tax revenue surplus of more than $6 billion. Overall unemployment stood at 5.5% last month, with more than 450,000 jobs created in the last year.

"It's quite remarkable what California's been able to do," he said Monday. "That won't always be, and when that turns around, I think the job will be far more challenging than it is today."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »

Although it's not surprising the governor wins praise from his own party faithful — 80% of Democrats approve of his job performance in the new survey — Brown's real strength may rest on his ability to placate some of his natural political enemies. Twenty-seven percent of Republicans polled say they too approve of the governor's job performance.

Even more notable, 19% of registered Republicans who say they plan to vote in June for businessman Donald Trump nonetheless approve of how Brown is handling things in Sacramento.

Brown's job approval rating seems to transcend party lines.

So 73 percent of Republicans disapprove of his performance and 81 percent of those who plan to vote for Trump disapprove of his performance, but his support transcends party lines?  lol  Horrible spin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
Meg Whitman just announced she will vote for Hilary Clinton in November.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: August 03, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
Meg Whitman, Calling Donald Trump a ‘Demagogue,’ Will Support Hillary Clinton for President
By JONATHAN MARTIN

Meg Whitman, a Hewlett Packard executive and Republican fund-raiser, said Tuesday that she would support Hillary Clinton for president and give a “substantial” contribution to her campaign in order to stop Donald J. Trump, whom she berated as a threat to American democracy.

“I will vote for Hillary, I will talk to my Republican friends about helping her, and I will donate to her campaign and try to raise money for her,” Ms. Whitman said in a telephone interview.

She revealed that Mrs. Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had reached out to her in a phone call about a month ago, one of the first indications that Mrs. Clinton is aggressively courting Republican leaders. While acknowledging she diverged from Mrs. Clinton on many policy issues, Ms. Whitman said it was time for Republicans “to put country first before party.”

Using remarkably blunt language, she argued that the election of Mr. Trump, whom she called “a dishonest demagogue,” could lead the country “on a very dangerous journey.” She noted that democracies had seldom lasted longer than a few hundred years and warned that those who say that “it can’t happen here” are being naïve.

Ms. Whitman also said she “absolutely” stood by her comments at a private gathering of Republican donors this year comparing Mr. Trump to Hitler and Mussolini, explaining that dictators often come to office through democratic means.

“Time and again history has shown that when demagogues have gotten power or come close to getting power, it usually does not end well,” Ms. Whitman said. She asserted that Mr. Trump had already “undermined the character of the nation.”

A billionaire who spent $140 million of her own money in a failed bid for governor of California in 2010, Ms. Whitman, the former chief executive of eBay, is a prized defector for Mrs. Clinton. She is close to Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee; has deep ties to the country’s business elite; and is a rare female Republican executive in Silicon Valley.

While many leading Republican donors have made clear that they will not donate to Mr. Trump, few have taken the next step of throwing their support, and financial largess, to Mrs. Clinton.

Ms. Whitman was a leading fund-raiser for Mr. Romney’s 2008 presidential campaign and was a chairwoman of Gov. Chris Christie’s presidential finance team this year. But after Mr. Christie withdrew from the campaign and endorsed Mr. Trump, Ms. Whitman excoriated the New Jersey governor for what she said was an “astonishing display of political opportunism.”

On Tuesday, Ms. Whitman said she had not spoken to Mr. Christie since he endorsed Mr. Trump, and pointedly noted that she had not changed her view of his decision.

Ms. Whitman, who said she would remain a Republican, brings with her a considerable network of contributors, some of whom she said were open to giving to Mrs. Clinton. She said she was willing to campaign for Mrs. Clinton, said she would do her best to gather checks for her campaign and indicated she would personally give to both Mrs. Clinton and her affiliated “super PACs.” An aide to Ms. Whitman said she would personally give at least an amount in the “mid-six figures” to the Clinton effort.

While Democrats openly appealed at their convention last week to Republicans uneasy with Mr. Trump, Mrs. Clinton and her top supporters have been making a similar cross-party pitch in private since before the Democratic nomination fight even came to its conclusion.

Ms. Whitman said that she did not commit to supporting Mrs. Clinton when they talked on the phone last month, and that Mrs. Clinton had offered no assurances on how she would govern. But Ms. Whitman called it “a lovely chat” that included a discussion of economic issues.

She said she had told Mrs. Clinton that she wanted to see the two parties’ conventions and assess the running mates that each nominee chose before making her decision. When Mrs. Clinton selected Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, a consensus-oriented figure, “that was a positive for me,” Ms. Whitman said.

“I don’t agree with her on very many issues,” she added, “but she would be a much better president than Donald Trump.”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:21 PM »
Rush used to love whitman.

he was shitting all over her today on his show.   calling her a rino... accusing her of treason for a minute straight before changing it to 'treason against a party, i mean...'

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2016, 06:35:09 AM »
What’s next for Meg Whitman, a Republican in Clinton’s corner?
By Elise Tieback

It was a telling moment that almost went unnoticed.

After shaking hands with debate moderator Chris Wallace on Wednesday night, Hillary Clinton strode off the stage into a circle of family. And at the center of that circle was Meg Whitman, who received the first handshake and first hug.

If there’s a better example of Clinton’s support from moderate Republican elites, we can’t think of one.

Whitman, the chief executive of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, was Clinton’s special guest for the final debate of the general election, seated alongside Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky. Her husband, Griff Harsh, received his own warm greeting from Clinton; in fact, she appeared to ask if he and Chelsea had established their mutual connection to Stanford University. (Harsh, a neurosurgeon, is vice chairman of Stanford Medical Center; Chelsea Clinton earned her bachelor’s degree from the school in 2001.)

Announcing Whitman as a guest was no accident ahead of a debate when Clinton made several targeted appeals to Republican voters. But to observers, their association speaks of more than just political posturing. After all, Clinton is expected to bring at least one Republican and at least eight women into her Cabinet if she wins the White House. Given Whitman’s profile, is it possible we’re seeing signs of a potential nomination in the making?

This would not surprise Whitman’s allies. But before we get to that, let’s properly introduce her.

Better-known in Silicon Valley than among the GOP base, Whitman rose to prominence in the early to mid-2000s as the chief executive who grew eBay from a start-up company to a multibillion dollar powerhouse. In 2010, she ran for governor of California, drawing comparisons in the process to Carly Fiorina — another Republican technology executive who set out to parlay her business expertise into public office.

Neither Whitman nor Fiorina (who was then running for Senate against Barbara Boxer) won their races. But unlike her counterpart, Whitman has declined to pursue elected office again. Starting in 2008, when she served as co-chair of John McCain’s presidential campaign, she amassed significant clout in Republican donor circles. This continued in 2012, when she served as Mitt Romney’s national finance co-chair, and during this election, when she led the finance side of Chris Christie’s ill-fated presidential campaign.

In case it’s not clear, Whitman is not typically inclined to support Democrats. Over the course of her career, she has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican PACs, leaders and state parties.

This time, however, Donald Trump was a bridge too far.

Whitman’s staunch opposition to the business mogul was clear on March 3, three weeks after Christie dropped out of the primary, when she made a $100,000 contribution to the anti-Trump Our Principles super PAC founded by former Romney campaign aide Katie Packer. In June, she made headlines when she called Trump a demagogue and compared him to Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini at a private gathering of GOP elders. (In a preview of criticism to come, Whitman pushed Paul D. Ryan to explain how he could support a candidate with Trump’s temperament.)

The official denunciation came at the beginning of August. By the end of the month, she was campaigning for Clinton in Colorado.

“To vote Republican out of party loyalty alone would be to endorse a candidacy that I believe has exploited anger, grievance, xenophobia and racial division,” Whitman wrote Aug. 3 in a LinkedIn post. “Donald Trump’s demagoguery has undermined the fabric of our national character.”

Associates of Whitman speculated about a Cabinet offer should Clinton win; several imagined Whitman leading the Commerce Department or the Office of Management and Budget, or in a senior White House role. “With the country so terribly divided, Clinton would be well-advised to have a moderate Republican like Meg join her administration,” one ally said.

The truth is, Whitman is a perennial subject of the transition rumor mill. McCain floated her as a potential treasury secretary during his Oct. 7, 2008, debate against Barack Obama, and in 2012 Romney called her the model for the kind of women leaders he hoped to surround himself with as president. (She said she was “flattered” but did not plan to leave Hewlett-Packard.)

It’s still not clear if Whitman would want to leave the corporate world should Clinton win and offer her a position. As with Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, it might come down to what the position is.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
^ Whitman is really into making Globalism as nasty as possible, like Hillary, so imo it's not too interesting that she's supporting her.  And lol at "not clear if Whitman would want to leave the corporate world" to take a powerful government position, as though those are different things.  They're the exact same thing and that's the problem.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »

Brown plugged the $30 billion hole left by Arnold.  He did not lay off 40,000 state workers as Meg Whitman pledged to do...  As he steps down, he leaves the State with a $14 billion reserve fund and a $15 billion surplus in State coffers.  Elections have consequences.

Well done Governor.  Thank you for your service to the State of California.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: December 13, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
Brown plugged the $30 billion hole left by Arnold.  He did not lay off 40,000 state workers as Meg Whitman pledged to do...  As he steps down, he leaves the State with a $14 billion reserve fund and a $15 billion surplus in State coffers.  Elections have consequences.

Nothing like cherry picking information to try and make a point.  Californians should thank Governor Moonbeam for having the worst poverty rate in the country. 

California, Poverty Capital
Why are so many people poor in the Golden State?
Kerry Jackson
Winter 2018 CaliforniaEconomy, finance, and budgets

California—not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia—has the highest poverty rate in the United States. According to the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure—which accounts for the cost of housing, food, utilities, and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income—nearly one out of four Californians is poor. Given robust job growth in the state and the prosperity generated by several industries, especially the supercharged tech sector, the question arises as to why California has so many poor people, especially when the state’s per-capita GDP increased roughly twice as much as the U.S. average over the five years ending in 2016 (12.5 percent, compared with 6.27 percent).

It’s not as if California policymakers have neglected to wage war on poverty. Sacramento and local governments have spent massive amounts in the cause, for decades now. Myriad state and municipal benefit programs overlap with one another; in some cases, individuals with incomes 200 percent above the poverty line receive benefits, according to the California Policy Center. California state and local governments spent nearly $958 billion from 1992 through 2015 on public welfare programs, including cash-assistance payments, vendor payments, and “other public welfare,” according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Unfortunately, California, with 12 percent of the American population, is home today to roughly one in three of the nation’s welfare recipients. The generous spending, then, has not only failed to decrease poverty; it actually seems to have made it worse.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, some states—principally Wisconsin, Michigan, and Virginia—initiated welfare reform, as did the federal government under President Bill Clinton and the Republican Congress. The common thread of the reformed welfare programs was strong work requirements placed on aid recipients. These overhauls were widely recognized as a big success, as welfare rolls plummeted and millions of former aid recipients entered the workforce. The state and local bureaucracies that implement California’s antipoverty programs, however, have resisted pro-work reforms. In fact, California recipients of state aid receive a disproportionately large share of it in no-strings-attached cash disbursements. It’s as if welfare reform passed California by, leaving a dependency trap in place. Immigrants are falling into it: 55 percent of immigrant families in the state get some kind of means-tested benefits, compared with just 30 percent of natives, according to City Journal contributing editor Kay S. Hymowitz.

Self-interest in the social-services community may be at work here. If California’s poverty rate should ever be substantially reduced by getting the typical welfare client back into the workforce, many bureaucrats could lose their jobs. As economist William A. Niskanen explained back in 1971, public agencies seek to maximize their budgets, through which they acquire increased power, status, comfort, and job security. In order to keep growing its budget, and hence its power, a welfare bureaucracy has an incentive to expand its “customer” base—to ensure that the welfare rolls remain full and, ideally, growing. With 883,000 full-time-equivalent state and local employees in 2014, according to Governing, California has an enormous bureaucracy—a unionized, public-sector workforce that exercises tremendous power through voting and lobbying. Many work in social services.

Further contributing to the poverty problem is California’s housing crisis. Californians spent more than one-third of their incomes on housing in 2014, the third-highest rate in the country. A shortage of housing has driven prices ever higher, far above income increases. And that shortage is a direct outgrowth of misguided policies. “Counties and local governments have imposed restrictive land-use regulations that drove up the price of land and dwellings,” explains analyst Wendell Cox. “Middle income households have been forced to accept lower standards of living while the less fortunate have been driven into poverty by the high cost of housing.” The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), passed in 1971, is one example; it can add $1 million to the cost of completing a housing development, says Todd Williams, an Oakland attorney who chairs the Wendel Rosen Black & Dean land-use group. CEQA costs have been known to shut down entire home-building projects. CEQA reform would help increase housing supply, but there’s no real movement to change the law.

Extensive environmental regulations aimed at reducing carbon-dioxide emissions make energy more expensive, also hurting the poor. On some estimates, California energy costs are as much as 50 percent higher than the national average. Jonathan A. Lesser of Continental Economics, author of a 2015 Manhattan Institute study, “Less Carbon, Higher Prices,” found that “in 2012, nearly 1 million California households faced ‘energy poverty’—defined as energy expenditures exceeding 10 percent of household income. In certain California counties, the rate of energy poverty was as high as 15 percent of all households.” A Pacific Research Institute study by Wayne Winegarden found that the rate could exceed 17 percent of median income in some areas. “The impacts on the poorest households are not only the largest,” states Winegarden. “They are clearly unaffordable.”

Looking to help poor and low-income residents, California lawmakers recently passed a measure raising the minimum wage from $10 an hour to $15 an hour by 2022—but a higher minimum wage will do nothing for the 60 percent of Californians who live in poverty and don’t have jobs, and studies suggest that it will likely cause many who do have jobs to lose them. A Harvard study found evidence that “higher minimum wages increase overall exit rates for restaurants” in the Bay Area, where more than a dozen cities and counties, including San Francisco, have changed their minimum-wage ordinances in the last five years. “Estimates suggest that a one-dollar increase in the minimum wage leads to a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of exit for a 3.5-star restaurant (which is the median rating),” the report says. These restaurants are a significant source of employment for low-skilled and entry-level workers.

Apparently content with futile poverty policies, Sacramento lawmakers can turn their attention to what historian Victor Davis Hanson aptly describes as a fixation on “remaking the world.” The political class wants to build a costly and needless high-speed rail system; talks of secession from a United States presided over by Donald Trump; hired former attorney general Eric Holder to “resist” Trump’s agenda; enacted the first state-level cap-and-trade regime; established California as a “sanctuary state” for illegal immigrants; banned plastic bags, threatening the jobs of thousands of workers involved in their manufacture; and is consumed by its dedication to “California values.” All this only reinforces the rest of America’s perception of an out-of-touch Left Coast, to the disservice of millions of Californians whose values are more traditional, including many of the state’s poor residents.

California’s de facto status as a one-party state lies at the heart of its poverty problem. With a permanent majority in the state senate and the assembly, a prolonged dominance in the executive branch, and a weak opposition, California Democrats have long been free to indulge blue-state ideology while paying little or no political price. The state’s poverty problem is unlikely to improve while policymakers remain unwilling to unleash the engines of economic prosperity that drove California to its golden years.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/california-poverty-capital-15659.html

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #372 on: December 13, 2018, 08:44:21 PM »

With some of the highest taxes it's no wonder! Yet he refused to fund more reservoirs, wasted billions on a train to nowhere and begged Trump for money to fix the damn he couldn't afford to repair, gave the utilities permission to raise our rates to pay for lawsuits due to their negligence, hasn't fixed a road in decades, our infrastructure is falling apart and every other weekend there is a water main breaking somewhere. But you're claiming he has left the state with billions in reserves and coffers? LMAO!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »
Imagine living in California and being proud of the politicians there. Whew...

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
Imagine living in California and being proud of the politicians there. Whew...
No way. These politicians are crooked as fuck. The CA government should be investigated from the bottom to the top.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!