Author Topic: Widest/Best rear lat spread at the 98 Olympia  (Read 15849 times)

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Widest/Best rear lat spread at the 98 Olympia
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
hey bigbobs--not flaming here--but dont you think your obsession with Nasser goes wayyyy beyond creepy?

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »
The judging decision of 3rd for Nasser in 98 was not a very popular one, at least by the crowd. Very loud boo.

Team Yates

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »
The judging decision of 3rd for Nasser in 98 was not a very popular one, at least by the crowd. Very loud boo.

same with 1996 and 1997.. the crowd always thought he should place better!!.. in 1998 i belive the popular choice went to ronnie but they booed nasser's 3rd coz he was clearly better than flex..

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
I didn't hear any boos in 96 and 97. Dorian always got the loudest ovation. I think they took down the GMV lineup video from 96 on youtube.
Team Yates

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
I didn't hear any boos in 96 and 97. Dorian always got the loudest ovation. I think they took down the GMV lineup video from 96 on youtube.

the only olympia from the 90s i didnt watch till now is 96.. but flex mag. mentioned in its article about the show that each one of the first 6 places received its share of "boos" including dorian's 1st place..

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
No doubt there were some boos - everyone can't all be happy. But I never heard one as distinct as when nasser was called out 3rd in 98. Nasser won the contest from the front and was the most complete, but Coleman had a much better back and was much more conditioned.
Team Yates

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
No doubt there were some boos - everyone can't all be happy. But I never heard one as distinct as when nasser was called out 3rd in 98. Nasser won the contest from the front and was the most complete, but Coleman had a much better back and was much more conditioned.

so in ur own opinion who should have won? big ron. or huge nasser??

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
hey bigbobs--not flaming here--but dont you think your obsession with Nasser goes wayyyy beyond creepy?

Nahhh, this is just a thread about the 98 Olympia, not about Nasser :)

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
so in ur own opinion who should have won? big ron. or huge nasser??

Ronnie. He was at his all-time best there, and you cannot be Mr. Olympia if you aren't the best conditioning. Combo of size and condition is a must. Nasser was 2nd and Flex was a distant 3rd.
Team Yates

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:28 PM »
Ronnie. He was at his all-time best there, and you cannot be Mr. Olympia if you aren't the best conditioning. Combo of size and condition is a must. Nasser was 2nd and Flex was a distant 3rd.

do u mean that dorian's condition was the best in 1997?

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »
I believe Dorian was the best conditioned man in every Olympia he competed in. This reflects his victories. We've seen several times now (namely Ronnie in 06 and Jay in 08) that just being the reigning Mr. Olympia means nothing if you come in out of shape. That's pretty much the way I see it.
Team Yates

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »
We've seen several times now (namely Ronnie in 06 and Jay in 08) that just being the reigning Mr. Olympia means nothing if you come in out of shape.

You don't think Jay had an unfair advantage as the reigning Mr. O in 2007 or Ronnie in 2001?

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
I believe Dorian was the best conditioned man in every Olympia he competed in. This reflects his victories. We've seen several times now (namely Ronnie in 06 and Jay in 08) that just being the reigning Mr. Olympia means nothing if you come in out of shape. That's pretty much the way I see it.

yes may be :)

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
I think the best competitor wins the contest. That has always been my stance. The only contest I ever questioned was 2001, but looking back at pictures and videos, Ronnie was so much thicker and in very similar condition to Jay, I see how he won. I've read all the theories about "politics" and "racism" influencing who wins Mr. Olympia and neither made any sense. Pumpster argues that Joe Weider wants an "articulate" Mr. Olympia, yet Ronnie and Dexter (who made a complete fool of himself at the 2008 Arnold Classic winner's speech) don't fit that mold in the slightest. Regarding Nasser, America gave Nasser great opportunity and he took advantage of it to the fullest through hard work and dedication. So no, I don't buy into racism playing any role in contest outcomes. Overall I find racism to be more of an excuse than anything (not saying this is always true).
Team Yates

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »

Nasser looks great there. After watching the posedown video on youtube however, I am confident that the best man won.
Team Yates

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »

haha, England_1 is not one to be convinced.  However, other than the strict opinion regarding Yates, he is still one of the more objective posters around here. 

I think the best competitor wins the contest. That has always been my stance.

So you believe the first place is always fair, yet second/third/etc placings may not be?  You did acknowledge earlier than 2nd/3rd place in 98 were swapped.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
Nasser looks great there. After watching the posedown video on youtube however, I am confident that the best man won.

i have watched the whole contest few days ago for the 1st time.. in the pre-judging yates looked very bad.. worse than i was expecting.. even his back was far away from its normal.. he looked exhausted and weak!!.. even his fans didnt go crazy with his back shots..

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »

So you believe the first place is always fair, yet second/third/etc placings may not be?  You did acknowledge earlier than 2nd/3rd place in 98 were swapped.

I believe that history has shown first place to be fair. Mr. Olympia has always represented the best combo of size and condition. 1997 is obviously a hotly debated contest, but as I said, watching the posedown video nobody looks bigger and more conditioned than Dorian in my opinion. In 1998, I think we can all agree that Ronnie pushed conditioning to the limit. I do believe the judges focus the majority of their attention on who wins rather than sorting out every single competitor, because let's be honest here, sorting out that many competitors that all are very similar is a toss up. But, who wins is usually carefully decided after several callouts. Considering that Mr. Olympia represents the best combo of size and condition, there's really no explanation as to how Flex was placed higher than Nasser; but what we do know is that Flex also defeated Nasser at the Arnold Classics, so there is obviously something there I'm not aware of (maybe others can elaborate).
Team Yates

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »
In this particular shot (front double biceps) nobody can complete with Nasser. It really can't get better than this. I give Nasser the front double biceps over Yates, but most other shots I see going to Dorian.

Team Yates

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
nasser deserved it in 97...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:40 AM »
Nasser is flawless in that above pic.

Dorian beat Nasser in only one pose.....yet still won the sandow... :-\
No doubt about it...

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »
Nasser is flawless in that above pic.

Dorian beat Nasser in only one pose.....yet still won the sandow... :-\

Nasser got what he deserved and in spite of his bad arm, Doz won fair and square. Get over it ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 01:22:21 AM »
Dorian is a man with large lats.....no doubt about it.
No doubt about it...

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2009, 01:23:15 AM »
Dorian is a man with large lats.....no doubt about it.

Yes, Dorian = 6 times (at least) crowned Mr Olympia 8)

Dorian = greatest Mr Olympia of all times.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 01:24:15 AM »
Yes, Dorian = 6 times (at least) crowned Mr Olympia 8)

at least 6.....maybe even 7.....yes, i think 7.
No doubt about it...