Author Topic: Some old Magazines  (Read 15105 times)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Re: Some old Magazines
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »
Cool thread.  I've got a huge collection of mags from the 50's 60's and 70's.  I think IronMan had the coolest mags back in the day.  I didn't care for the MD or the Strength and Health. 

I've also got a bunch of old courses from Arnold.  He used to go by "Arnold Strong" in his courses.  LOL> 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

I've also got a bunch of old courses from Arnold.  He used to go by "Arnold Strong" in his courses.  LOL> 

Ya that was the same name used in Hercules. I sent away for one of his courses and even as a kid knew he was a shyster who probably wouldn't send the course after receiving the money. Still waiting for it. :D

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
Ya that was the same name used in Hercules. I sent away for one of his courses and even as a kid knew he was a shyster who probably wouldn't send the course after receiving the money. Still waiting for it. :D

I have the old IronMan with him on the cover on the boat dock.  When he was like 18.  Pretty cool issue!  Should be worth something when he becomes President :)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
Franco's your favorite and you really like the cover or because of the articles inside?

Mainly the articles inside,you had a pic of Robby hitting a side chest shot,its in b/w and remember the shot of Robby just standing relaxed from behind.His lats were incredible.I remember taking the mags to school and painting those two shots in my art class and the teacher came over to have a look and he didn`t believe the pictures were real. ;D

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 12:34:33 PM »
I have the old IronMan with him on the cover on the boat dock.  When he was like 18.  Pretty cool issue!  Should be worth something when he becomes President :)

I know the issue. I too have it. He's actually 20 on that cover which was taking at the Tharlesee Lake, I believe.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
I think IronMan had the coolest mags back in the day.  

I thought they were OK. Didn't like that they were digest size either.

My favorite were the Muscle Builder/Power.  8)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
I thought they were OK. Didn't like that they were digest size either.

My favorite were the Muscle Builder/Power.  8)

Yeah those are the most valuable ones too.  That one with Arnold on the cover in a yellow tank where he has that Weider Arm blaster contraption on working his biceps.  That's a kick ass cover!  I got $50 for it on ebay. 

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »
That one with Arnold on the cover in a yellow tank where he has that Weider Arm blaster contraption on working his biceps.  That's a kick ass cover! 

Yeah. That's probably my favorite Muscle Builder/Power cover with Arnold followed closely with the one of he and Franco posing together.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Those who lifted and really followed BB knew that Iron Man was at least as good a mag as Muscle. Various up and coming BBs didn't show up in Muscle until later when they were more established. The first time i saw a pic of Platz is was in IM, way before he was known. The size of the mag's a silly reason to like one or the other. Those with hardons for Arnold of course would prefer Muscle, which had nothing to do with being a better mag. Thank Arnold schmoes and various groupies for jacking the Muscle prices up.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
I didn't care for the MD or the Strength and Health. 

What didn't you care about Muscular Development?

The British version of Health and Strength wasn't bad.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
What didn't you care about Muscular Development?

The British version of Health and Strength wasn't bad.

I don't know.  I just liked the way IronMan was laid out.  The pictures I always liked better as well. 

Peak Muscle Maker ever hear of that mag?  It was from the UK.  It was awesome as far as pics of Arnold, Sergio etc.  THey are rare two.  I have a few issues and they are really nolstalgic. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »
Hi Keith,this guy is probably the biggest seller of muscle mags on ebay,just have a look at some of the prices he sells them for.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THE-MID-CITY-COLLECTION
wow thanks crown

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 04:17:26 AM »
I don't know.  I just liked the way IronMan was laid out.  The pictures I always liked better as well. 

Peak Muscle Maker ever hear of that mag?  It was from the UK.  It was awesome as far as pics of Arnold, Sergio etc.  THey are rare two.  I have a few issues and they are really nolstalgic. 

That's funny you say that about Ironman because I always thought there weren't enough pictures when they did a report. LOL

As for Peak Muscle Maker, yes I have heard of Wag's magazine. Naturally, I have the complete collection with Arnold on the cover.  ;D
Too bad it wasn't a long running magazine. They had really good pictures in there of the greats.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
This collection of Man's World was incorporated with the British edition of Health and Strength back in the day...

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »
i have a couple thousand different issues dating back into the late 40's.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »

What would you say is your rarest, most prized issue?

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 04:56:57 AM »

really, Haz?

That many?

That is unreal!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »
Hey Keith, do you have the October 1977 Muscular development issue with Roy Hilligen on the cover. They did a story on me, when I was 14 years old and have pics of me doing deadlifts and clean and jerk. The story is called, "Like father, like son" since my dad was a well known champion golfer back in the 40's and 50's who also was the first golfer to enter weightlifting contests at the same time. While playing on the tour, weighing about 175, he did a 505 deadlift, 420 pound squat and 300 pound clean and jerk.

i actually think i have two copies of that one. if i do i'll pm you for your address and send you one. do you have that issue with your dad in it?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »

i have all those.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
really, Haz?

That many?

That is unreal!

actually i was kinda ballpark counting yesterday and there may be double that.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »
i actually think i have two copies of that one. if i do i'll pm you for your address and send you one. do you have that issue with your dad in it?
Wow, thanks. I'd hate to take yours though. I have an issue somewhere from Joe Weider's 1958 Muscle builder and my dads on the cover and we were featured in Musclemag international about 8 or 9 years ago. Gotta look for it.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
What would you say is your rarest, most prized issue?

probably some of the early Arnold issues that have been mentioned here. also the first ever Muscle Mag, the first ever Flex, ( and every Flex up to 2000) first Muscle and Fitness/ last Muscle Builder Power.
tons of different mags from europe.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »
actually i was kinda ballpark counting yesterday and there may be double that.

unreal

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
Wow, thanks. I'd hate to take yours though. I have an issue somewhere from Joe Weider's 1958 Muscle builder and my dads on the cover and we were featured in Musclemag international about 8 or 9 years ago. Gotta look for it.

hey Chem!  i do have two Oct. 77 MD's. give me your address and i'll send you one. any other mags you are interested in i'll send too.  i sent McFarland 4 years of Flex last year.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
hey Chem!  i do have two Oct. 77 MD's. give me your address and i'll send you one. any other mags you are interested in i'll send too.  i sent McFarland 4 years of Flex last year.
Fantastic! I sent you a PM.