Author Topic: NFL Combine  (Read 4164 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: NFL Combine
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

Beach....we are having a discussion correct?  In that discussion we are using facts and logic to try and win an "argument".  You said that the wonderlick is a test that is "worthless".  I said that the test was not worthless and I posted a very large list of good to best ever QB's who did well on the wonderlick.  You inturn posted a list of good to great QB's that did not do well on the wonderlick.  I then countered by posting x5 times as many good to best ever QB's who did do well on the wonderlick......so, it's safe to say that roughly x5 times more good to best ever QB's do well on the wonderlick than they do poorly on the test.  This proves that the wonderlick is not a useless test, because out of the best QB's over the last 10-15 years (and beyond) about 75% of them did well to above average on the wonderlick.  On that list is 5 of the greatest QB's to ever play football.

Further more, you are calling tests worthless that every NFL team requests and spends a ton of time and money on.  They would not go if id did not help them.....it's as simple as that.  If the 40 didn't matter then every coach and their brother would not be out there with a stopwatch, and the wonderlick would not be given to players.

I agree in part.  I agree this is a discussion.  I disagree that I am trying to "win" an argument.  Maybe you are, but I'm just sharing my opinion.  If you're trying to win an argument then you might get a little frustrated. 

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to whether 40 times and the Wonderlic are accurate predictors of football speed and performance.  I happen to think they mean nothing.  You think they're important.  That's called a difference of opinion. 

Regarding the 40, I base my opinion on having played and watched the game.  I have seen guys with really fast 40 times who can't play.  And rarely does a player sprint 40 years in a straight line on the field anyway, other than special teams.  And they don't run in shorts during the game.  That's why I'd place more stock on the shuttle times than the 40.  I'd actually make them strap up and do drills.   

Regarding the Wonderlic, as I said, there are great players with terrible scores and terrible players with great scores.  I doubt coaches actually make draft day decisions based on the Wonderlic.   

Did you read the article I posted?  Here is an excerpt:

First-year New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former assistant under Bill Belichick in New England, believes the test results can be deceiving.

"I've been around players that have had low Wonderlic scores that have been some of the smartest players I ever coached," Mangini said. "And that's always the difficulty of looking at that score and trying to define a player by that score. I can think of 4-5 guys who had what would be considered extremely low scores.

"If you get to know them, you're thinking: How could he possibly grade out at this? He's so much smarter than his score indicates. Then you have dumb smart guys. They've got great scores but they can't figure it out. They would do great if they had to write a paper before each game. But to go execute the information, they just can't get it. As smart as they are and as good as they are in the classroom, they can't put it into action."

Buffalo coach Dick Jauron agreed.

"I've seen terrific players that had low scores," he said. "I've seen players that can't tie their cleats that have high scores. They can't play."

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
This year's cornerback class is damn near pathetic. The top rated CB out of Ohio State is projected to be a safety in the NFL.  Yikes....The 40 times were ridiculous and unimpressive. Deion Sanders was nearly laughling watching all the DB's run their times.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 07:52:52 AM »
This year's cornerback class is damn near pathetic. The top rated CB out of Ohio State is projected to be a safety in the NFL.  Yikes....The 40 times were ridiculous and unimpressive. Deion Sanders was nearly laughling watching all the DB's run their times.

hahahaha Ellison (USC DB) ran a 4.8 hahahahahahahahahahaha WTF!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »

What was the time on the corner from Uconn?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »

What was the time on the corner from Uconn?

Don't know. Body88 is pretty good at posting all the stats.

Body88-do you have access to the CB's 40 times? Thanks, dude.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
Not sure where all of the stats are, but here are the "top performers."  http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
Not sure where all of the stats are, but here are the "top performers."  http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

DB'S LOOK AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »
DB'S LOOK AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kid from Utah who ran as a safety looked the best.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Was just reading about the "board sessions" and Stafford's performance during those sessions.  It's a classroom environment that tests a QB's ability to read defenses, make audibles, etc.  That THAT is the kind of test that should be given to potential NFL players. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
Was just reading about the "board sessions" and Stafford's performance during those sessions.  It's a classroom environment that tests a QB's ability to read defenses, make audibles, etc.  That THAT is the kind of test that should be given to potential NFL players. 

Stafford will suck ass...
Check it out
David Greene, Tim Couch, Russell (dont know if he sucks yet, but he sure aint Manning)Croyle, Grossman, Danny Wuerfell, Doug Johnson, Chris Leak, Anthony Wright, Tee Martin, J Lo, Andre Woodson...etc

Outside of the Manning Brothers. SEC Quarterbacks Suck in the NFL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »
Check it out
David Greene, Tim Couch, Russell (dont know if he sucks yet, but he sure aint Manning)Croyle, Grossman, Danny Wuerfell, Doug Johnson, Chris Leak, Anthony Wright, Tee Martin, J Lo, Andre Woodson...etc

I think every player should be evaluated on his own merit, but hard to ignore the trend.  Don't get me started on those Miami, Florida, Florida State QBs. . . .

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I think every player should be evaluated on his own merit, but hard to ignore the trend.  Don't get me started on those Miami, Florida, Florida State QBs. . . .
Miami hasnt had a decent QB since Vinny T.
FSU..HAHAAHAHAH their best qb played Point Guard for the Knicks

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
Miami hasnt had a decent QB since Vinny T.
FSU..HAHAAHAHAH their best qb played Point Guard for the Knicks

Well at least we can't call Ward a bust because he never played in the NFL.   :)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
Check it out

My Lions got the #1 pick and they are going after Stafford but i would rather have that Left Tackle out of Baylor
D

body88

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »
My Lions got the #1 pick and they are going after Stafford but i would rather have that Left Tackle out of Baylor

Should have taken the LT with the firt pick....and Cassel with the second first rounder.....dumb.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
Well at least we can't call Ward a bust because he never played in the NFL.   :)

Charlie Ward was a fantastic college player. He was very aware of his potential limitations in the NFL and was a gifted enough to be skilled at basketball and have a back-up career in the NBA. And he was a decent NBA player,too.

One of the best athletes of all time, IMO.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
Charlie Ward was a fantastic college player. He was very aware of his potential limitations in the NFL and was a gifted enough to be skilled at basketball and have a back-up career in the NBA. And he was a decent NBA player,too.

One of the best athletes of all time, IMO.

Yeah.  I liked him.  I like the fact he stood his ground and told NFL teams not to draft him if he wasn't going to play QB.