Author Topic: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?  (Read 7059 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 10:20:04 AM »
Rob - I second (or third) the active release therapy. I've had chronic tendonosis/tendonitis in my brachialis/biceps and this is the only thing that helps significantly. The fish oil helps, but as mentioned, it probably improves your condition 5-10%.

A.R.T. is great to break up the scar tissue that you likely have in the shoulder. This is actually re-igniting the inflammation-healing process around the tendons, but allows it to heal correctly without impingment. Since the shoulder and bi's are tied in together they may even use the same movements through your biceps too. You can couple this with things like cross friction massage and icing on your own but it depends how easily you can get to the sore spot. Some chiropractors are certified in this also.

Thanks ben!

question... how long did it take for Active release therapy to work for you?  Did you have to keep returning, or did it solve it quickly?    I have my first apopintment on tuesday... how many appts per week did they use?  how many weeks total did it take you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
Every ART session is actually a combination of examination and treatment.

The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, and ligaments. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements. These treatment protocols - over 500 specific moves - are unique to ART. They allow providers to identify and correct the specific problems that are affecting each individual patient. ART is not a cookie-cutter approach.

Is the treatment painful?

The first one or two treatments can be somewhat uncomfortable depending on the severity of the condition and the patient’s pain tolerance. However, even if the treatment is uncomfortable and reproduces their symptoms, this is only temporary and will stop a few seconds after the treatment.

How long do the treatments take?
The initial consultation, history, examination, and treatment will usually require 30 minutes to one hour. Subsequent treatments take ten to fifteen minutes.

How soon can I expect results?

In most cases, following the first treatment a patient will experience a positive result. This may be an increased range of motion, less pain, increased muscle strength, or decreased numbness and tingling.

Is this similar to other soft tissue treatments, such as other forms of massage?

NO. ART is very different than any other soft tissue, bodywork, massage, or other therapy. ART is very specific and the results achieved utilizing this technique are much more predictable, reproducible, and longer lasting.

Once my problem has been corrected what are the chances of the problem returning?

If the patient is advised as to any lifestyle modifications and follows through with the prescribed exercise/stretches, the likelihood of the condition recurring is very low. Dr. Leahy reported a recurrence rate of only 4% in his carpal tunnel study, of which half (2%), had not followed through with their exercises.

How does this form of treatment combined benefit an athlete?

Whether the athlete is in high school, college, or an adult; their sport is focused around specific and repetitive movements. The nature of repetitive motions and the unavoidable acute injury are the exact type of conditions ART was designed to correct. By increasing range of motion, decreasing swelling, and minimizing the formation of non-functional scar tissues, an athlete can benefit form ART whether they are injured or not. With the continuing growth and recognition of ART more and more college teams, professional athletes and corporations are utilizing this form of health care to decrease downtime and increase functional productivity. ART is the official medical provider to all IRONMAN events in the United States, and works with numerous NFL, NHL, and college teams, as well as Olympic medical providers.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Prednisolone & The Getbigger
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »
Off topic, but your thread title reminds me of one of those 1950's Government projector movies.  ;D
'Rob got mixed up with the wrong bunch of boys. Watch out, Rob! You can't stop that train. It's headed for Addictionville.'  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
'Rob got mixed up with the wrong bunch of boys. Watch out, Rob! You can't stop that train. It's headed for Addictionville.'  

hahahahaha
i have a lidocaine (sp?) patch and prednisone that the junkie doc gave me.  Hell, he asked me if nandrolone is a direction I wish to go in.  Said it'd be good for the joints along with an oral.  I shrugged and declined.  He has some arrangement with the pharmacist i'm guessing... get the patient hooked on meds for life maybe?

Anyway, nothing but supplements and advil until the ART appt next week.

The Coach

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
We do it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »
We do it.

is it one of those things where the guy has to come back for months and months?

or usually solved pretty quickly?

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
Thanks ben!

question... how long did it take for Active release therapy to work for you?  Did you have to keep returning, or did it solve it quickly?    I have my first apopintment on tuesday... how many appts per week did they use?  how many weeks total did it take you?

It'll depend how aggressive they are, which they should be but be careful of the money chasers. I went to an ART twice who was ok, but I felt like I could take more, so I found then a chiro who did the same therapies, but more intense, and by 4th session I was good. I still worked out around it, but no bi's a limited back movements. I still have issues with it now but I've learned to back off quickly when I start getting flare ups. The biceps tendons are easier to get to and self-manipulate, you may need a longer treatment schedule and actually have to go back occassionally.

The OX

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Sponsored by Extreme Nutrition
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
If by active release you mean happy ending at the end of the massage, then yes.

OX

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
If by active release you mean happy ending at the end of the massage, then yes.

OX

jpegs of the chinese girl or it didnt happen.

The Coach

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »
is it one of those things where the guy has to come back for months and months?

or usually solved pretty quickly?

Depends on the severity of the pain and if the diagnosis calls for ART. If it does it may take a multiple visits. The Chiro on my staff is qualified for ART, we make it a pre-requisite when working with our athletes.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
ART is great for soft tissue rehab, ive used it many times

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2009, 01:33:01 PM »
Skipped ahead.

ART is awesome.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
240. Shoulders are always very susceptible to injury because outside of training you use them everytime you use your arm, which is a lot! You went in there again too fast, give them rest. it's not like you're gonna shrivel up in a month orso. You can't force recovery outside of using steroids or GH.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
240. Shoulders are always very susceptible to injury because outside of training you use them everytime you use your arm, which is a lot! You went in there again too fast, give them rest. it's not like you're gonna shrivel up in a month orso. You can't force recovery outside of using steroids or GH.

thanks.  Milos was kind enough to email me a very detailed response.  He pointed out that many Bbers trian shoulders but only a very few actually train the rotator.

And the doc's website discussed overuse, which I'm guilty of.  If I'm not typing or playing guitar, i'm lifting or carrying a kid around.  They literally move every moment i'm awake.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
Re: Prednisolone & The Getbigger
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
You had this suit custom made, right Coach?

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
thanks.  Milos was kind enough to email me a very detailed response.  He pointed out that many Bbers trian shoulders but only a very few actually train the rotator.

And the doc's website discussed overuse, which I'm guilty of.  If I'm not typing or playing guitar, i'm lifting or carrying a kid around.  They literally move every moment i'm awake.

You are welcome, 240 :P :D

Seriously, good luck with it mate. Can you post here once you have a session and let us know what they did exactly? Would appreciate it. Cheers.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
You are welcome, 240 :P :D

Seriously, good luck with it mate. Can you post here once you have a session and let us know what they did exactly? Would appreciate it. Cheers.

ah yes, we all know getbig is my life's blog.  I'll post all about it

Jizzacked

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
240, can you elaborate on what milos said about training the rotators?  did he make any recommendations?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
i dont know if he'd want me to post it all, but essentially...

most Bbers train the delt heads, and not the rotators.
We should train them.
When we do, rotators become developed.
This creates more room for the bursa sac, since the humeris is being pullled down.

impingement pain is then relieved. 

There is more but I don't understand it yet.  Moral of the story is, if youre a BBer, you should do rotator cuff movements, not just delt movements.   i respect milos too much to post it all, or try to translate more, but that's the basics. 

The Coach

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
I've said for years and have posted ALOT and wrote a few articals on RC training but there needs to be an understanding that RC work just doesn't include the 4 stabilizers ut the entire girdle. I don't let my athletes do any type of primary mover exercises without pre-hab exercises first.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
I've said for years and have posted ALOT and wrote a few articals on RC training but there needs to be an understanding that RC work just doesn't include the 4 stabilizers ut the entire girdle. I don't let my athletes do any type of primary mover exercises without pre-hab exercises first.

joe, please send me anythign you can on specific RC movements.  i'm all over youtube tonight looking at examples.  I've never trained this thing in my life.

The Coach

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
Ok. I'll send you our pre-hab routines tomorrow. There are two. One for isolated RC and one for sub-scapular. If you are looking on youtube, start with Y-T-W-L's

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
Ok. I'll send you our pre-hab routines tomorrow. There are two. One for isolated RC and one for sub-scapular. If you are looking on youtube, start with Y-T-W-L's

thanks man!  Next update is on me :-P

The Coach

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
Thanks but don't worry about it, it's on me!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast