Author Topic: Thumbs vs no Thumbs benching.  (Read 3360 times)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
Re: Thumbs vs no Thumbs benching.
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
Thumbs.

Evolution gave us a thumb able to grip stuff. People that bench without thumbs are evolutionary closer to monkeys.
Plus having a 400lbs barbell fall 40cm down on your chest is way more stupid than using a thumb.

I doesn't matter at all in benching, especially not for the recreational bodybuilder.

Have you even tried it without thumbs. I promise you that it makes a difference, of course you feel kinda strange and insecure at first but when you got used to it you won't ever bench with thumbs around the bar again.

I just got the feeling that with thumbs my wrists aren't in a natural position to the chest anymore. I also can focus much better on the chest when the bar lies only on your ball of the hand.

I use the no thumbs grip nowadays on every exercise, also rowing and pull ups. The only exception are dumbbell exercises, where you are obviously flexible and can position your wrists in the perfect angle, and, of course, deadlifts.

Bona

• Getbig II
  • Creating Websites For Singapore
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »

ever since i watched that clip, i've been using thumb grips  :-\

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »
No thumbs on smith machine,thumbs used when using free weights

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
I switch between thumb and thumbless all the time.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
No thumbs, but there's a video of the Mentzer brothers explaining the dangers of it somewhere on youtube that causes one of those "shit, yeah" moments in your mind.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »
Have you even tried it without thumbs. I promise you that it makes a difference, of course you feel kinda strange and insecure at first but when you got used to it you won't ever bench with thumbs around the bar again.

I just got the feeling that with thumbs my wrists aren't in a natural position to the chest anymore. I also can focus much better on the chest when the bar lies only on your ball of the hand.

I use the no thumbs grip nowadays on every exercise, also rowing and pull ups. The only exception are dumbbell exercises, where you are obviously flexible and can position your wrists in the perfect angle, and, of course, deadlifts.

I agree 100%
Most are all show no go!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
Jay in the begining of his career in his videos used no-thumb grip, but now he always uses them...  ??? why?

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »
have any of u watched some of the other vid clips that came up at the end of that... some realy dodgy fuckers out there, some of the deadlift clips had me flinching...

im still for thumbless tho........ as do the majority of bbuilders i know...

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »

I agree completely!

However it's kinda weird that when doing db presses you use thumbs (obviously) and it doesn't feel bad like it does with a bar.
tank u jesus