Author Topic: What happens after death?  (Read 11767 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
What happens after death?
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
comments from gotquestions.org

Question: "What happens after death?"

Answer: Within the Christian faith, there is a significant amount of confusion in regards to what happens after death. Some hold that after death, everyone “sleeps” until the final judgment, after which everyone will be sent to Heaven or Hell. Others believe that immediately after the moment of death, people are instantly judged and send to their eternal destinations.. Still others claim that when people die, their souls/spirits are sent to a “temporary” Heaven or Hell, to await the final resurrection, the final judgment, and then the finality of their eternal destination. So, what exactly does the Bible say happens after death?

First, for the believer in Jesus Christ, the Bible tells us that after death, believers’ souls/spirits are taken to Heaven, because their sins were forgiven from having received Christ as Savior (John 3:16,18,36). For believers, after death is to be “away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). However, passages such as 1 Corinthians 15:50-54 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 describe believers being resurrected and given glorified bodies. If believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, what is the purpose of this resurrection? It seems that while the souls/spirits of believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, the physical body remains in the grave “sleeping.” At the resurrection of believers, the physical body is resurrected, glorified and perfected, and then reunited with the soul-spirit. This reunited and glorified body-soul-spirit will be the inhabitance of believers for eternity, in the New Heavens and New Earth (Revelation chapters 21-22).

Second, for those who do not receive Jesus Christ as Savior, after death means everlasting punishment. However, similar to the destiny of believers, unbelievers also seem to be sent immediately to a temporary holding place, to await their final resurrection, judgment, and eternal destiny. Luke 16:22-23 describes a rich man being tormented immediately after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all the unbelieving dead being resurrected, judged at the Great White Throne, and then being cast into the lake of fire. Unbelievers, then, are not sent to Hell (the lake of fire) immediately after death, but rather are in a temporary realm of judgment and condemnation. However, even though unbelievers are not instantly sent to the lake of fire, their immediate fate after death is not a pleasant one. The rich man cried out, “I am in agony in this fire” (Luke 16:24).

Therefore, after death, for both believers and unbelievers, a person resides in a “temporary” Heaven or Hell. After this temporary realm, at their final resurrection, peoples’ eternal destiny will not change. The precise “location” of that eternal destiny is what changes. After death, believers will ultimately be granted entrance into the New Heavens and New Earth (Revelation 21:1). After death, unbelievers will ultimately be sent to the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people - based entirely on whether or not they had trusted Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Matthew 25:46; John 3:36).
R

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
Re: What happens after death?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »

Answer: Within the Christian faith, there is a significant amount of confusion in regards to what happens after death. Some hold that after death, everyone “sleeps” until the final judgment, after which everyone will be sent to Heaven or Hell. Others believe that immediately after the moment of death, people are instantly judged and send to their eternal destinations.. Still others claim that when people die, their souls/spirits are sent to a “temporary” Heaven or Hell, to await the final resurrection, the final judgment, and then the finality of their eternal destination. So, what exactly does the Bible say happens after death?

First, for the believer in Jesus Christ, the Bible tells us that after death, believers’ souls/spirits are taken to Heaven, because their sins were forgiven from having received Christ as Savior (John 3:16,18,36). For believers, after death is to be “away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). However, passages such as 1 Corinthians 15:50-54 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 describe believers being resurrected and given glorified bodies. If believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, what is the purpose of this resurrection? It seems that while the souls/spirits of believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, the physical body remains in the grave “sleeping.” At the resurrection of believers, the physical body is resurrected, glorified and perfected, and then reunited with the soul-spirit. This reunited and glorified body-soul-spirit will be the inhabitance of believers for eternity, in the New Heavens and New Earth (Revelation chapters 21-22).

Second, for those who do not receive Jesus Christ as Savior, after death means everlasting punishment. However, similar to the destiny of believers, unbelievers also seem to be sent immediately to a temporary holding place, to await their final resurrection, judgment, and eternal destiny. Luke 16:22-23 describes a rich man being tormented immediately after death. Revelation 20:11-15 describes all the unbelieving dead being resurrected, judged at the Great White Throne, and then being cast into the lake of fire. Unbelievers, then, are not sent to Hell (the lake of fire) immediately after death, but rather are in a temporary realm of judgment and condemnation. However, even though unbelievers are not instantly sent to the lake of fire, their immediate fate after death is not a pleasant one. The rich man cried out, “I am in agony in this fire” (Luke 16:24).

Therefore, after death, for both believers and unbelievers, a person resides in a “temporary” Heaven or Hell. After this temporary realm, at their final resurrection, peoples’ eternal destiny will not change. The precise “location” of that eternal destiny is what changes. After death, believers will ultimately be granted entrance into the New Heavens and New Earth (Revelation 21:1). After death, unbelievers will ultimately be sent to the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people - based entirely on whether or not they had trusted Jesus Christ alone for salvation (Matthew 25:46; John 3:36).

Interesting read, Stella. I wonder how they explain these scripts?:

Eccl. 3:19-22:

"For there is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. (20) All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust. (21) Who is there knowing the spirit of the sons of mankind, whether it is ascending upward; and the spirit of the beast, whether it is descending downward to the earth? (22) And I have seen that there is nothing better than that the man should rejoice in his works, for that is his portion; because who will bring him in to look on what is going to be after him?"

Romans 6:23:

"For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord".

Eccl. 9:5-10

"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. (6) Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun. (7) Go, eat your food with rejoicing and drink your wine with a good heart, because already the [true] God has found pleasure in your works. (8) On every occasion let your garments prove to be white, and let oil not be lacking upon your head. (9) See life with the wife whom you love all the days of your vain life that He has given you under the sun, all the days of your vanity, for that is your portion in life and in your hard work with which you are working hard under the sun. (10) All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She′ol, the place to which you are going.

Psalms 6:5:

"For in death there is no mention of you;
In She′ol who will laud you?"

Psalms 37:9-11:

"For evildoers themselves will be cut off,
But those hoping in God are the ones that will possess the earth.
(10) And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more;
And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be.
(11) But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

Psalms 115:16-18

"(16) As regards the heavens, to God the heavens belong,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men.
(17) The dead themselves do not praise God,
Nor do any going down into silence.
(18) But we ourselves will bless God
From now on and to time indefinite."
Praise God, YOU people!

Isa 45:18

"For this is what God has said, the Creator of the heavens, He the [true] God, the Former of the earth and the Maker of it, He the One who firmly established it, who did not create it simply for nothing, who formed it even to be inhabited: I am God, and there is no one else."

Rev. 21:3,4

"(3) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. (4) And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away"

GC/DEA_AGENT

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:31:45 AM »

Is the soul composed of gaseous, solid or liquid molecules? What 'age' does one appear after death? What if we all just take a dirt nap and this life is all we have. The funny thing about you Stella has always been the total rigidity of your beliefs; you would never for a second consider that this life may be the only one we have.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
Is the soul composed of gaseous, solid or liquid molecules? My guess would be no.What 'age' does one appear after death? Not sure. Some have suggested 33  :)What if we all just take a dirt nap and this life is all we have. That would be preferable for some people I'm sure.The funny thing about you Stella has always been the total rigidity of your beliefs;Has that always been the funny thing about me?  Interesting ;D you would never for a second consider that this life may be the only one we have. Wrong again :)

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »

Hah! If every major scientist in the world came round and said that ther afterlife is bollocks, you would undoubtedly cling to your faith despite this.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »
Hah! If every major scientist in the world came round and said that ther afterlife is bollocks, you would undoubtedly cling to your faith despite this.
You sure have a lot of faith in "scientists" :)
R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »
You sure have a lot of faith in "scientists" :)

No, I read what they say and try to understand. Remember every time you call someone on your mobile it is science you have to thank and every time you have a health problem solved it is science you have to thank. What great innovations has Christianity brought about?

What is your evidence that consciousness continues after the brain dies?
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
No, I read what they say and try to understand. Remember every time you call someone on your mobile it is science you have to thank and every time you have a health problem solved it is science you have to thank. What great innovations has Christianity brought about?

What is your evidence that consciousness continues after the brain dies?

Are you saying that a scientist created the material to make my mobile phone?

Are you saying when I have a cold and in a week I am healed that a scientist healed me?  Are you saying when I have a cut, the fact that my skin closes and heals was made possible by a scientist?

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »

Are you saying that a scientist created the material to make my mobile phone?

Are you saying when I have a cold and in a week I am healed that a scientist healed me?  Are you saying when I have a cut, the fact that my skin closes and heals was made possible by a scientist?

NO. When you have cancer and get treatment, thank science. The immune system is a development of evolution, which I know you absurdly do not believe in. As for the phone, the understanding of the principles of physics has made it work...understanding that came about through science.
I hate the State.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
Answer:

You decay. Your consciousness ends. Like eternal dreamless sleep.

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
Depends on how you die.
I'd like to be cremated so I will most likely turn into ash. Most people will decompose and become worm food.  :)

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:20 AM »
Answer:

You decay. Your consciousness ends. Like eternal dreamless sleep.

maybe.
But its nicer to truely believe that the person lives on and is well, I feel sorry for people who lose loved ones and truely believe they are gone for ever.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 04:49:56 AM »
maybe.
But its nicer to truely believe that the person lives on and is well, I feel sorry for people who lose loved ones and truely believe they are gone for ever.

The Bible teaches/guarantees a resurrection, hang in there! People will be united shortly!

GC/DEA_AGENT

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »
Is the soul composed of gaseous, solid or liquid molecules? What 'age' does one appear after death? What if we all just take a dirt nap and this life is all we have. The funny thing about you Stella has always been the total rigidity of your beliefs; you would never for a second consider that this life may be the only one we have.

you Deicide are definitely full of gas
X

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
maybe.

And it's nicer to believe that you're the best looking person in the world and have a million dollars in the bank....

..But go try writing a million dollar check and see what happens.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »
what happens after death?

Answer : plant food

basis of religion = fear of death
carpe` vaginum!

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
what happens after death?

Answer : plant food
This is correct. Of course it depends on how one is disposed of too.  ;D

basis of religion = fear of death

Not necessarily. My basis is, LOVE for my Creator. Before I studied the Bible, I could have cared less as to what happened to me, as long as, it was in my favor. My belief at that time was exactly what the Bible was already teaching, man goes back to dust. I lived accordingly. I felt like I had to get it while the getting was good. Anyway, not all Bible believers feel that way. Most of us LOVE our heavenly Father and appreciate the life He has given us. No other reason!. Sure, we like the extras, yet, those are not the reason.

Usually the ones that serve God for "fear of death" are false Christians, such as the Scribes, Sadducee's, and Pharisee's (equivalent to most of the clergy today) of Jesus time.

GC/DEA_AGENT

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »

Not necessarily. My basis is, LOVE for my Creator. \

for a moment saying that god does exist...

exactly how can you love someone you have never seen..thats point 1

and exactly how do you love someone that does this to little children

carpe` vaginum!

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »

As well she should.  Some things to consider:
- Faith is believing without proof.  Some may argue that believing in a God when all physical evidence points to other things is not rational.  Scripture tells the believer that he is going to be ridiculed and mock for his/her beliefs.

- Most major scientists once said the world was flat, and that the sun evolved around the earth.  Today any third grader knows these things are not true.  Whenever we hear things like, "new studies no show" or "scientists now believe", it simply means that scientists got it wrong the first time, and now they think they have it right.

- God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Don't misunderstand my perspective.  I am not anti-science.  I work in Information Technology and I'm amazed at how much it has progressed in the last 20 years.  I just choose to not lose sight of the fact that no matter how much we think we know as humans it laughable to God's knowledge. 

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
after death, maggots have a party but the dreams and soul of the body remain among its relatives

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »
- Faith is believing without proof.  Some may argue that believing in a God when all physical evidence points to other things is not rational.  Scripture tells the believer that he is going to be ridiculed and mock for his/her beliefs.

- Most major scientists once said the world was flat, and that the sun evolved around the earth.  Today any third grader knows these things are not true.  Whenever we hear things like, "new studies no show" or "scientists now believe", it simply means that scientists got it wrong the first time, and now they think they have it right.

Don't misunderstand my perspective.  I am not anti-science.  I work in Information Technology and I'm amazed at how much it has progressed in the last 20 years.  I just choose to not lose sight of the fact that no matter how much we think we know as humans it laughable to God's knowledge. 

Science is all about revision and change and adjusting data to fit new knowledge. This reflects life itself as life is change and requires adjustment to new facts and new happenings but the projection of a singular, unchanging monotheistic deity is very much the opposite, indeed, along with fear of death the semitic war deity now turned 'God' asuages people's fear of the vagaries of life and the changes that it brings; in essence a projection of all man wishes to be and to have but can never be or have, man having projected himself into the heavens in fear and misunderstanding of the earth.
I hate the State.

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »
Science is all about revision and change and adjusting data to fit new knowledge.[/i]
This is what I said.

This reflects life itself as life is change and requires adjustment to new facts and new happenings
Of course life is change and we make adjustments.  That even holds true with the practice of Christianity.  Someone new to Christianity (a babe) will continue to change as they grow in Christ.  However, at no point has God changed.  Even science itself never really changes.  Our understanding of it simply grows or change.  The truth of the matter is God and science are not mutually exclusive.  In science we take substance "a" and mix it with substance "b" to create substance "c".  From a Christian's perspective, God made substances "a" and "b", and have always known that combined they would make substance "c". 

but the projection of a singular, unchanging monotheistic deity is very much the opposite, indeed, along with fear of death the semitic war deity now turned 'God' asuages people's fear of the vagaries of life and the changes that it brings; in essence a projection of all man wishes to be and to have but can never be or have, man having projected himself into the heavens in fear and misunderstanding of the earth.
This pretty much says you don't believe in God.  So of course anything a Christian person says on the subject is going to sound like the speakings of a lunatic.  I used to wonder why would someone spend time in a discussion about Christ and God if they did not believe Either existed.  If Christians are truly weak-minded people with no power through prayer, then why not simply ignore them?   

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

"Major scientists" never claimed the world was flat. In fact, There weren't even scientists by todays definition 2,500 years ago yet Eratosthenes actually measured the earth's circumference about 2,200 years ago.
The only people claiming that the world was flat were normal people, scientists didn't really exist until around a few thousand years ago. Anyone with common sense could tell that the earth isn't flat by seeing its shadow on the moon.

Belief without proof is stupidity. You're about as justified to believe that a "God" exists as I am justified to believe that I am the reincarnation of Alexander the Great and have superpowers. The fact that you call it "faith" doesn't change the fact that it is BULLSHIT.

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 02:29:54 AM »
"Major scientists" never claimed the world was flat. In fact, There weren't even scientists by todays definition 2,500 years ago yet Eratosthenes actually measured the earth's circumference about 2,200 years ago.
The only people claiming that the world was flat were normal people, scientists didn't really exist until around a few thousand years ago. Anyone with common sense could tell that the earth isn't flat by seeing its shadow on the moon.

Belief without proof is stupidity. You're about as justified to believe that a "God" exists as I am justified to believe that I am the reincarnation of Alexander the Great and have superpowers. The fact that you call it "faith" doesn't change the fact that it is BULLSHIT.

Of course faith in God is going to appear as stupidity to those who do not believe.  That same "stupid" God has already told us this.  Okay, it's possible that you may be correct on one fact about previous science thinking verses today's.  However, there are hundreds, if not thousands, more examples of where science thinking has changed.  I understand that's called progress and a growth in knowledge.  My point is God has never changed, and those things that science re-think or discover have always been known by God.

One of the reasons I rarely get into these types of discussions (although you wouldn't know that by my recent postings) is because most people already have their minds made up.  There is absolutely nothing you can say that will change my mind about God and His son.  It would appear that there is nothing that I, or anyone, could say to change your perspective.  Let's just agree to disagree.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 03:00:20 AM »
Nothing.....
No doubt about it...