Author Topic: Do you have the believe the Bible is the 100% word of God to be a Christian?  (Read 21047 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
An important man is coming into town, why wouldn't curious children go out to see him in? 

This happened while Elisha was LEAVING a city (Jericho, I believe)

What's doubtful about 42 "teenagers" being mauled by 2 bears is most would escape.

Bears are a lot quicker than you think. And, as stated earlier, the bears go to 42 of them, which means there were more who confronted Elisha.

The Baal prophet thing is only a possibility. 

A quite likely one, based on the surroundings and the context of the passage. Mere curiosity would hardly motivate a bunch of "little kids" to leave the confines of a city, just to mock Elisha for simply being bald.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
This happened while Elisha was LEAVING a city (Jericho, I believe)

Bears are a lot quicker than you think. And, as stated earlier, the bears go to 42 of them, which means there were more who confronted Elisha.

A quite likely one, based on the surroundings and the context of the passage. Mere curiosity would hardly motivate a bunch of "little kids" to leave the confines of a city, just to mock Elisha for simply being bald.

They probably didn't leave the confines of a city because the prophets were bald.  They may have been playing outside it if children, hanging outside if teenagers.

Also, the 2 Bears had to chase capture and kill each person.  As that happened the others would have plenty of time to run away, unless they were little children.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
They probably didn't leave the confines of a city because the prophets were bald.  They may have been playing outside it if children, hanging outside if teenagers.

Also, the 2 Bears had to chase capture and kill each person.  As that happened the others would have plenty of time to run away, unless they were little children.

From Biblical scholar, Gleason Archer (courtesy of Christian Thinktank):

A careful study of this incident in context shows that it was far more serious than a "mild personal offense." It was a situation of serious public danger, quite as grave as the large youth gangs that roam the ghetto sections of our modern American cities. If these young hoodlums were ranging about in packs of fifty or more, derisive towards respectable adults and ready to mock even a well-known man of God, there is no telling what violence they might have inflicted on the citizenry of the religious center of the kingdom of Israel (as Bethel was), had they been allowed to continue their riotous course.

We don't know how their exact number. If they were 100 of them, 58 may have escaped while 42 got grizzlied. Plus, the passage states that they came from the city and confronted Elisha. So, they weren't just hanging out. They saw Elisha, knew who he was, and went after him with bad intentions in mind.

Again, you underestimate how quick bears actually are.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Mob of children Faftally Beats Man
October 2, 2002

MILWAUKEE — A man attacked by a mob of children and teens who savagely beat him with rakes, shovels and bats died yesterday, as authorities arrested 10 youths and sought six others.
The youths, ages 10 to 18, attacked Charlie Young Jr. late Sunday after a fight that started when one of the children tossed an egg at him, police said.

Young, 36, suffered severe brain injuries and was hospitalized in critical condition after the beating.

"It was unhuman what they did," the victim's brother, Keith Young, told WTMJ-TV.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20021002&slug=mob02

Jeering mob of children 'stoned father to death as he played cricket'
August 2007

A gang of children killed a father-of-two by stoning him as he played a makeshift game of cricket with his son, a court has heard.

They surrounded a tennis court where Ernest Norton and his teenage son had set up a wicket and hurled bricks and debris in a "completely unprovoked attack".

Mr Norton, 67, collapsed in a pool of blood after being hit by a piece of rock and died from heart failure, the Old Bailey was told.

The gang, some as young as ten, then ran away and allegedly a witness heard one say, "Did you get him?" and others replying: "Yeah I think so."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-472069/Jeering-mob-children-stoned-father-death-played-cricket.html

Chanting mob of children killed boy 'to take his dog'
March 15, 2007

A boy of 16 was stabbed to death by a gang of teenage boys and girls for his dog, according to police.

The group of attackers were dressed in school uniforms and were shouting "kill him, kill him" as they pursued him.

They are said to have set two of their own dogs on the boy after he was stabbed in the heart and leg.

The victim was walking his Staffordshire bull terrier when he was chased along Hammersmith Grove by the group. Some were said to be as young as 14.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1801391/posts

OzmO

• Getbig V
From Biblical scholar, Gleason Archer (courtesy of Christian Thinktank):

A careful study of this incident in context shows that it was far more serious than a "mild personal offense." It was a situation of serious public danger, quite as grave as the large youth gangs that roam the ghetto sections of our modern American cities. If these young hoodlums were ranging about in packs of fifty or more, derisive towards respectable adults and ready to mock even a well-known man of God, there is no telling what violence they might have inflicted on the citizenry of the religious center of the kingdom of Israel (as Bethel was), had they been allowed to continue their riotous course.

We don't know how their exact number. If they were 100 of them, 58 may have escaped while 42 got grizzlied. Plus, the passage states that they came from the city and confronted Elisha. So, they weren't just hanging out. They saw Elisha, knew who he was, and went after him with bad intentions in mind.

Again, you underestimate how quick bears actually are.

Obviously it goes without saying that a mob of people can do harm.

So let's get back to the verses:

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

What is there to carefully study?  The "little children" had let him passed (and he turned back to them) and he cursed them in thename of the lord.   It's seems what has happened is embellishment, not careful study.

Also, I know bears are fast and what they can do.  If the "little children" just stood there, then killing 42 is possible.  But that's not the case as I'm sure many of these teenagers ran and could have gotten back to the safety of town.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
So, who still believes in Zeus?
G

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
Hahaha mcway cmon, you're seriously being stupid now.

God sends 2 bears to kill 42 deluded children or "young men" as you claim for making fun of a dudes bald head, what kinda of a fucked up god is that? and this dude is suppose to love each and everyone of us?
You believe these kids are burning in hell right now??

I bet if the bible were to mention a talking bush, you'd probably believe that too.

...oh wait, it does. ::)

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country

So let's get back to the verses:

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

What is there to carefully study?  The "little children" had let him passed (and he turned back to them) and he cursed them in thename of the lord.   It's seems what has happened is embellishment, not careful study.

Also, I know bears are fast and what they can do.  If the "little children" just stood there, then killing 42 is possible.  But that's not the case as I'm sure many of these teenagers ran and could have gotten back to the safety of town.

That may seem severe treatment for calling someone a bald head, but more than disrespect was involved. It was the taunt "Go up" that called for divine vengeance. It was telling Elisha to go up as he reported Elijah did. (2 Ki. 2:11) It showed disbelief in God's miracle in Elijah’s case, and was a taunt for Elisha to prove it by duplicating it. It could also indicate that Elisha should go up as did Elijah and in that way the community would be rid of him. It suggested that his presence was unwanted and for him to clear out of the territory. It is likely that adults were responsible for this delinquency, the childish taunting being a reflection of the adult attitude if it was not directly instigated by religiously opposed adults. At any rate, the children were punished for their blasphemy. As Proverbs 20:11 states: "Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right." Youthfulness alone does not save delinquents who blaspheme, as shown by the command given God's executional forces at Armageddon: "Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women." (Ezek. 9:5, 6).

This account should really make ALL be careful of what they say and do, regarding God. Unbelievers/believers are all accountable to God. I wouldn't want to push to far and wind up like these folks. Learning the hard way, that there is a God who will execute judgement swiftly, when one has went to far.

I remember my father telling me of a situation, in his day, in our home town. He and some friends were hanging out at the local "place". One of the guys was ranting and raving about how there was no God. He went as far as to curse and beg God to kill him if he did exist. He had a heart attack after he finished the sentence. He was in his 40's.

I know, that could have been coincidental, however, I thought it was worth mentioning.  :)

CG/DEA_AGENT

OzmO

• Getbig V

That may seem severe treatment for calling someone a bald head, but more than disrespect was involved. It was the taunt "Go up" that called for divine vengeance. It was telling Elisha to go up as he reported Elijah did. (2 Ki. 2:11) It showed disbelief in God's miracle in Elijah’s case, and was a taunt for Elisha to prove it by duplicating it. It could also indicate that Elisha should go up as did Elijah and in that way the community would be rid of him. It suggested that his presence was unwanted and for him to clear out of the territory. It is likely that adults were responsible for this delinquency, the childish taunting being a reflection of the adult attitude if it was not directly instigated by religiously opposed adults. At any rate, the children were punished for their blasphemy. As Proverbs 20:11 states: "Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right." Youthfulness alone does not save delinquents who blaspheme, as shown by the command given God's executional forces at Armageddon: "Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women." (Ezek. 9:5, 6).

This account should really make ALL be careful of what they say and do, regarding God. Unbelievers/believers are all accountable to God. I wouldn't want to push to far and wind up like these folks. Learning the hard way, that there is a God who will execute judgement swiftly, when one has went to far.

I remember my father telling me of a situation, in his day, in our home town. He and some friends were hanging out at the local "place". One of the guys was ranting and raving about how there was no God. He went as far as to curse and beg God to kill him if he did exist. He had a heart attack after he finished the sentence. He was in his 40's.

I know, that could have been coincidental, however, I thought it was worth mentioning.  :)

CG/DEA_AGENT

Well this God has some serious anger management and insecurity issues.

He sent bears and murdered 42 children for taunting a prophet.  Children do stupid things, they make mistakes, that's what growing up is about.  i can see punishing them as kids get typically punished.  But sending Bear to rip them apart?  Com on. 

That sounds like he should go on Dr. Phil.

This all comes down the same thing anyway:  FEAR GOD.  He could blow a fuse and murder you for something stupid.

BTW:  If god killed everyone who said anything in anger or against him, there would be practically no one left n earth to give him glory.   :D

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
HAHAHAHA what a load of shit. A all mighty/powerfull, knowing God kills people because they make fun of him/ taunt him.
If GC, Mcway, Fitt@40 have convinced me of anything, its that they're gullible.

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
HAHAHAHA what a load. A all mighty/powerfull, knowing God kills people because they make fun of him/ taunt him.
If GC, Mcway, Fitt@40 have convinced me of anything, its that they're gullible.

YOU forgot humble, honest, and hungry too!

BTW, what would you do if someone disrespected your mother and not only that, but wished her dead?

I guess, you are another, who doesn't believe in design, by intelligence. And WE are gullible? I'm not laughing, but considering it.  :)

CG/DEA_AGENT

Government_Controlled

• Getbig III
  • I love my country
Well this God has some serious anger management and insecurity issues.

Who are you to question God?

He sent bears and murdered 42 children for taunting a prophet.  Children do stupid things, they make mistakes, that's what growing up is about.  i can see punishing them as kids get typically punished.  But sending Bear to rip them apart?  Com on. 

No, there was more to it, re-read.

That sounds like he should go on Dr. Phil.

Once again, are you questioning God?

This all comes down the same thing anyway:  FEAR GOD. 

I guess, Oz, you don't fear? Do you love anyone Oz? If so, do you fear them not loving you or maybe loosing them to some "chance" occurrence?

BTW:  If god killed everyone who said anything in anger or against him, there would be practically no one left n earth to give him glory.   :D

Not true. Plenty of people love Him. True Christians get angry at satan, not God. Satan is the one who is behind a lot of the atrocities man experiences, not God. There are people who don't want to live God's ways, just like satan didn't. Sure, they don't want God around, or for that matter to exist. Too bad for them!. I'm beginning to wonder if you really believe like you claim.   :-\

CG/DEA_AGENT

OzmO

• Getbig V
Who are you to question God?
Who are you to decide for God?

No, there was more to it, re-read.
Like what?

Once again, are you questioning God?
I'm questioning your idea of God.  A god that would, among other things, murder children because of teasing his prophet

I guess, Oz, you don't fear? Do you love anyone Oz? If so, do you fear them not loving you or maybe loosing them to some "chance" occurrence?

Sure, so what? 

Not true. Plenty of people love Him. True Christians get angry at satan, not God. Satan is the one who is behind a lot of the atrocities man experiences, not God. There are people who don't want to live God's ways, just like satan didn't. Sure, they don't want God around, or for that matter to exist. Too bad for them!. I'm beginning to wonder if you really believe like you claim.   :-\

But they also fear him.  And it's how he's identified, in the OT in which it demonstrates his human like qualities.  I believe in God in every bit of what I claim.  I just don't worship a murderer.  I don't believe God is a murderer.  I believe God is perfect and does the right things always.  Anyways, god is god, whether your belief is correct or mine.  I believe in God.   :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
It's okay to question God, to question Christianity and to question the Bible.  In doing so, many skeptics have found faith in Jesus Christ:  C. S. Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Francis S. Collins, just to name a few well known ones.

And, though not a Christian...yet, there is also Anthony Flew, a former strong atheist:

"Professor Antony Garrard Newton Flew (born 11 February 1923) is a British philosopher. Belonging to the analytic and evidentialist schools of thought, he is notable for his works on the philosophy of religion.

Flew was a strong advocate of atheism, arguing that one should presuppose atheism until evidence of a God surfaces. He has also criticised the idea of life after death, the free will defence to the problem of evil, and the meaningfulness of the concept of God. However, in 2004 he stated an allegiance to deism, and later wrote the book There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind."

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
It's okay to question God, to question Christianity and to question the Bible.  In doing so, many skeptics have found faith in Jesus Christ:  C. S. Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, Francis S. Collins, just to name a few well known ones.

the opposite happened for me.when I was young and naive I believed all the gibberish.the more research I did not just into Christianity but religion as a whole the more I started to realize it was all a bunch of lies and propaganda designed to get people to conform and obey.
DAWG

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
the opposite happened for me.when I was young and naive I believed all the gibberish.the more research I did not just into Christianity but religion as a whole the more I started to realize it was all a bunch of lies and propaganda designed to get people to conform and obey.

It's okay.  Nobody is perfect!   :)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
It's okay.  Nobody is perfect!   :)

take a look in the mirror and your statement is obvious.
DAWG

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
take a look in the mirror and your statement is obvious.

First of all, it was a joke.  Lighten up!

Second of all, I did say nobody is perfect.  That includes me.

I do respect your opinion of God, Christianity and religion in general as long as you don't attack, slander and disrespect those who disagree with you.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
First of all, it was a joke.  Lighten up!

Second of all, I did say nobody is perfect.  That includes me.

I do respect your opinion of God, Christianity and religion in general as long as you don't attack, slander and disrespect those who disagree with you.

I do unto others as they do unto me  ;D
DAWG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Hahaha mcway cmon, you're seriously being stupid now.

God sends 2 bears to kill 42 deluded children or "young men" as you claim for making fun of a dudes bald head, what kinda of a fucked up god is that? and this dude is suppose to love each and everyone of us?
You believe these kids are burning in hell right now??

I bet if the bible were to mention a talking bush, you'd probably believe that too.

...oh wait, it does. ::)

Apparently, you don't read very well.

This wasn't about Elisha's bald head. As I clearly stated, these dudes had evil intentions for Elisha. Loco posted earlier some clear examples of a bunch of rogue youths can do. From the context of the verses, Elisha was in danger.

If you get accosted in such in such a manner, I don't think you'd be complaining about two bears coming to your aid. But, of course, that thought never entered that skull of yours. You, like far too many skeptics here, simply regurgitated the same foolish drivel that has been refuted numerous times here (and elsewhere).

Come back, when you get something original.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Apparently, you don't read very well.

This wasn't about Elisha's bald head. As I clearly stated, these dudes had evil intentions for Elisha. Loco posted earlier some clear examples of a bunch of rogue youths can do. From the context of the verses, Elisha was in danger.

If you get accosted in such in such a manner, I don't think you'd be complaining about two bears coming to your aid. But, of course, that thought never entered that skull of yours. You, like far too many skeptics here, simply regurgitated the same foolish drivel that has been refuted numerous times here (and elsewhere).

Come back, when you get something original.

Why would god send bears to save Elisha, but not send bears to save little children who get molested or help save that little girl that was just found drowned in a suitcase?

That's awfully picky for a god and all.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I do unto others as they do unto me  ;D

Did you attend a very charismatic church as a child?  You said you believed all the "gibberish."

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

A mob of children can, and has done harm.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
So, who still believes in Zeus?

Our Zeus is an awesome Zeus, he is.
G

OzmO

• Getbig V
A mob of children can, and has done harm.

Children are people too!    ;D