Author Topic: Are bodybuilders athletes when you have MMA guys training like this?  (Read 15520 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: Are bodybuilders athletes when you have MMA guys training like this?
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
They pose in beauty pageants too, does that make them athletes?

i've been over this a million times, look up the thread "bodybuilding is not a sport" started by goatboy

but to answer this question standing up straight and smiling is not exertion like posing in a bodybuilding contest ::)

E
E

spinnis

« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Swede pulling of another thread that Exploded.

And chick proving he doesn't know up from down once again.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »
i've been over this a million times, look up the thread "bodybuilding is not a sport" started by goatboy

but to answer this question standing up straight and smiling is not exertion like posing in a bodybuilding contest ::)

E

You would have made it easier for yourself if you said that beauty pageant competitors are athletes as well. Now instead you have made it an issue of personal preference/definition.
from incomplete data

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
You would have made it easier for yourself if you said that beauty pageant competitors are athletes as well. Now instead you have made it an issue of personal preference/definition.

show me the physical exertion in a beauy pageant

E
E

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »
show me the physical exertion in a beauy pageant

E

I'm sure there is some but it's irrelevant.

I draw the line at the fact that bodybuilding is about judging the appearance/presentation of the competitors and nothing else. I don't care how hard the competitors work in order to give a good showing, it is still a beauty pageant.
from incomplete data

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
I'm sure there is some but it's irrelevant.

I draw the line at the fact that bodybuilding is about judging the appearance/presentation of the competitors and nothing else. I don't care how hard the competitors work in order to give a good showing, it is still a beauty pageant.

uh no it is not irrelevant, physical exertion is needed in a competiton for it to be considered a sport

and you use the words "i'm sure", which means you don't know :)

again use the dictionary definition, not your own definition

E
E

soylent green

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • is made from people.....people!
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
When a mention BB and drugs i didn't meant disrespect anybody.
 But. you mention Mark Kerr. OK. one. bodybuilders all of then.

You actually think a large percentage of MMA fighters are not juicing or taking pain killers?

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »
athlete=a person that is involved in a sport which requires strength,agility,stamina.bodybuilding requires a ton of drugs with good genetics and performing repetition exercises that benefit thier musculer appearence on stage,they are not judged on how much weight they lift.so (strength) is ruled out.(agility),im sure some have agility but most bodybuilders ive seen dont look very agile,(stamina),im not even gonna comment on that one,lol.im just keepin it real,i like bodybuilding as much as the next guy but i dont know how on earth bodybuilding got labeled as a sport.theres a reason why bodybuilding aint in the olympics,cause its not a sport is a fashion show except the guys are showing thier bodies instead of clothes

And:

Why won't you listen to what our dear friend Wikipedia has to say:

"A beauty contest, or beauty pageant, is a competition based mainly, though not always entirely, on the physical beauty of its contestants, and often incorporating personality, talent demonstration, and question responses as judged criteria. Almost invariably, competitions for men and women are separate events, and those for men are not referred to as beauty contests. Beauty contests for women are more common, and winners are called beauty queens. Beauty contests for men, like Mr. Universe, are more likely to be "body building" contests—quite unlike the traditional "beauty contest" in which women are judged upon many attributes both physical and otherwise. However, in the 1990s, male "beauty contests" began to shift focus. Instead of only considering muscle mass, the competitions began to judge the natural physical attributes of the contestants as well as their physiques. These include Mr. World and Manhunt International."

OK, forget what I said before. Upon more reflection and arguments presented bodybuilding is a physique contest not an athletic event. I think I conflated the notion that since bodybuilders are strong and many are very athletic (Kai Green, grapefruit not withstanding) there is the tendency to think of them as athletes. Being athletic does not make you an athlete. Participation in a sport seems to be one of the requirements for being an athlete. Posing onstage does seem to have more in common with a beauty pagent than an athletic or sporting event.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
because 99.99% of black rappers flashes their money more then they sing.

I apologize, Swede. I forgot your from Sweden, NOT America. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

Shawdow

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
Well. better body? hmmmmmmm that is relative.
 He is bigger than me. but..
I can make him tap in less than 3 minutes. how about that?
 And you really believe that a gym rat take more than a pro.

8)

by that you mean you can make him not ever want a grapefruit again in less than 3 minutes, because your rectum will do the job?

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
I've always been a athlete...that happened to become a BB....played sports all my life and excelled at every one of them. There are all types of athletes in the world...each has their particular challenges when training, practicing...

walk a mile in my shoes...

where did you play college sports at??

oh yea

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
where did you play college sports at??

oh yea

Never played any sports in college....played HS football, baseball, track...was into BB after that, was an American Gladiator after that...bowl and Golf to this day

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Never played any sports in college....played HS football, baseball, track...was into BB after that, was an American Gladiator after that...bowl and Golf to this day

Bob Chick,

Did you at least play intermurals in college?

io856

I've always been a athlete...that happened to become a BB....played sports all my life and excelled at every one of them. There are all types of athletes in the world...each has their particular challenges when training, practicing...

walk a mile in my shoes...
For the most part successful bodybuilders don't have histories of athletic success. You are an anomaly along with Phil Heath and perhaps Levrone.

Does that detract from the pursuits of elite level bodybuilding?

In my opinion, not in the slightest. An elite javelin thrower wouldn't fair well on the rugby field.  Does that mean his/her achiements are redundant? Its a non-argument

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Bob Chick,

Did you at least play intermurals in college?

I was actually contemplating bowling, and carried a 205 average throughout college.  I was in the midst of completing a Handicap via a "qualifying school" when I got the call for the Gladiators...

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
I was actually contemplating bowling, and carried a 205 average throughout college.  I was in the midst of completing a Handicap via a "qualifying school" when I got the call for the Gladiators...

Bob Chick,

What University did you attend before the Gladiators came a calling?