Author Topic: Obama Received a $101,332 Bonus from AIG  (Read 2870 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Obama Received a $101,332 Bonus from AIG
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
He appointed Geithner correct?  He is the president correct?

The way Bush correctly got crap for his nonsense is no different than the obligation to hold Obama's feet tot he fire when he does the same thing. 

Obama is simply Bush's third term when it comes to bailouts, spending, rushing through bills, scaring people, secrecy, etc..
This economic debacle is complex in its origins and in our efforts to combat it.

Every major country in the world is engaging in gov. bailouts to right the economic ship.  The US is doing the same.

Should we stop the effort?

What happens when our international competitors come out of the depression/recession much earlier than we have simply b/c they spent their way out of the problem and we did not?

Do you want to handi-cap the US's recovery?  If so, why?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 12:52:08 PM »
He appointed Geithner correct?  He is the president correct?

The way Bush correctly got crap for his nonsense is no different than the obligation to hold Obama's feet tot he fire when he does the same thing. 

Obama is simply Bush's third term when it comes to bailouts, spending, rushing through bills, scaring people, secrecy, etc..
I think you're missing the point.  If you dig into this you're going to find it's very widespread.  Again, it's the system that should be in view.  With your approach, I might as well start a thread totally appalled that I just found out Obama is a politician.  We both agree it's bad.  I just think it's counterproductive to lay it on Obama like he's the transgressor when they're all doing shit like this.  Obama didn't invent money is access.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
Obama is becoming a white whale for some of you guys.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
I think you're missing the point.  If you dig into this you're going to find it's very widespread.  Again, it's the system that should be in view.  With your approach, I might as well start a thread totally appalled that I just found out Obama is a politician.  We both agree it's bad.  I just think it's counterproductive to lay it on Obama like he's the transgressor when they're all doing shit like this.  Obama didn't invent money is access.

No, BUT obama is continuing what Bush was doing, but worse.  For months everyone screamed that McCain was "McBush" "McSame" ect, when in the end it was Obama, not McCain, who was carrying forward a third Bush term.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Nope... I still think "sound" and "strong" are different... but hey... We're not going to agree on it so that's fine.

You must think I'm some kind of Team Obama shill... trust me... I'm not. I do have to wait and see if some things improve though with his plans... I can not condemn things he didn't do (Like give that money to AIG... because that wasn't just him)

Since you don't like what he's done... What would you have done?

Why is it that the economists are saying his plan is right, but you don't believe them?
you should stop watching just msnbc there are plenty of economists that are saying his plan is wrong...I personally didnt agree with the bail outs, the rushed through stimulus package that aot of which wont be felt for 2 or 3 yrs at the earliest. I never really pegged you for a team obama shill but like i said your actions of late speak differently i agree certain things need to be given time to see if they work that isnt to say they shouldnt be criticized for things that were not handeled well, he should NOT be given a pass simply b/c he is new which he isnt any longer.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
No, BUT obama is continuing what Bush was doing, but worse.  For months everyone screamed that McCain was "McBush" "McSame" ect, when in the end it was Obama, not McCain, who was carrying forward a third Bush term.
everyone knew of Obama's political contributions when he was running for office.  It was even posted here.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 01:50:09 PM »
everyone knew of Obama's political contributions when he was running for office.  It was even posted here.

Did he campaign on being GWB the 3rd?

Did he campaign on a fraction of what he is doing now with the endless bailouts, massive deficits, card check, amnesty, charging Vets for insurance etc?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
Did he campaign on being GWB the 3rd?

Did he campaign on a fraction of what he is doing now with the endless bailouts, massive deficits, card check, amnesty, charging Vets for insurance etc?
why are you changing the topic?  I thought we were just talking about this contribution?  Yes, we were...  A red herring usually occurs when you hit a wall and need to change to subject.  We can talk about those things, but that's not what we were talking about was it?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »
why are you changing the topic?  I thought we were just talking about this contribution?  Yes, we were...  A red herring usually occurs when you hit a wall and need to change to subject.  We can talk about those things, but that's not what we were talking about was it?

We discussed the AIG donation and he should return it. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
We discussed the AIG donation and he should return it. 
really, that's where we ended up in our discussion?  lol...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
Why post this?

If you don't like the effect of legal campaign financing laws in this country, state why?

To call a campaign contribution a bonus is misleading and incorrect.

Welcome back Decker.   :)

Sure calling it a "bonus" is sort of a play on words, but it's fair.  This shows that Obama brought the same old business as usual approach to D.C.  Does not pass the smell test. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
With the kind of money Obama raised, do you guys really think 100,000 bought his loyalty to AIG?  I mean that would be like somebody buying me for 10 bucks ::)

No, but I'm talking about the appearance of impropriety, which is just as serious as actual misconduct, especially for someone who ran on a "change" platform. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »
No, but I'm talking about the appearance of impropriety, which is just as serious as actual misconduct, especially for someone who ran on a "change" platform. 

Holy Shit, the world will end tomarrow because I actually agree with you.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:07 AM »
Holy Shit, the world will end tomarrow because I actually agree with you.  :)

I'm sure that will change tomorrow.   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »
McCain ran on the Change message too and I guarantee it would have been the same ol with him too.  The only guy who would have brought real change on day 1 is Ron Paul.  Now the question is, will Obama end up bringing more change than McCain would have.  That's possible.  No I'm not real happy with some things Obama has done, like the way the stimulus was done but I'm 100 percent sure the same thing if not worse stimulus wise would have happened under McCain.  I bet big business would have gotten an even bigger chunk under McCain and republicans would just be arguing that a ceo's bailout bonus is taxpayer money well spent.  Maybe not that extreme but along those lines for sure.

I agree in part.  I do think Ron Paul would have done things differently, but he was never a serious candidate and will never be president. 

I don't agree about McCain.  He actually talked about a freeze on government spending.  That's a polar opposite approach from Obama's reckless spending.  McCain didn't have the grapes to oppose Dubya's irresponsible bailout, but I doubt he would have come into office and just started printing money. 

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2009, 03:02:01 AM »
Why post this?

If you don't like the effect of legal campaign financing laws in this country, state why?

To call a campaign contribution a bonus is misleading and incorrect.
i agee my fiend,,,,,nothing is wrong with giving moneies to campains at all its perfectly legal to dthis,,,obam is doin best he can and do good job as bush imstaks.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:14 AM »
Many economists disagree with the administration's approach, there are people on both sides.  Over 60% in the largest survey of economists disagreed with the administration's responce to the stimulus/bailout situation.  This got some press for about 2 days and was dropped.
Way too much spending without specific focus and accountability.
AIG should have never been given the $ or provisions should have been written to specifically direct the taxpayor bailout money.  If we are giving handouts, we need to have control of how its spent.  These are the same greedy people who ran their bank into the ground.
This administration is spending way too much and it will have consequences down the road.

Welcome back Decker!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
The economists are all over the board, your right.  Makes you wonder what the 'expert' title really means.

But for anyone that favors the massive stimulus, or a second stimulus needs to also be prepared for the future reprocussions (inflation, higher taxes, the question of how much the stimulus actually worked).

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »
The economists are all over the board, your right.  Makes you wonder what the 'expert' title really means.

But for anyone that favors the massive stimulus, or a second stimulus needs to also be prepared for the future reprocussions (inflation, higher taxes, the question of how much the stimulus actually worked).
I'm definitely in favor of stimulus right now, to run a budget deficit while there is a recession.

The damage was done in the previous years, the years of economic boom. Those presidents didn't have the fiscal balls to run budget surpluses - other than Clinton for one or two years.
But Reagan all through Bush jr have been utterly incompetent. Systematically building up the national debt.
Which puts USA in a tight spot when it has to stimulate the economy - there are no reserves to use.
But I'm a Keynesian.
I still believe you got to stimulate during the recession.
But how to do it most effectively is another question - I believe a lot in doing infrastructure improvements.
That will create job while also improving the foundation for good business venturing. 
As empty as paradise

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm definitely in favor of stimulus right now, to run a budget deficit while there is a recession.

The damage was done in the previous years, the years of economic boom. Those presidents didn't have the fiscal balls to run budget surpluses - other than Clinton for one or two years.
But Reagan all through Bush jr have been utterly incompetent. Systematically building up the national debt.
Which puts USA in a tight spot when it has to stimulate the economy - there are no reserves to use.
But I'm a Keynesian.
I still believe you got to stimulate during the recession.
But how to do it most effectively is another question - I believe a lot in doing infrastructure improvements.
That will create job while also improving the foundation for good business venturing. 

What do you think of the Fed's move yesterday?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »
What do you think of the Fed's move yesterday?
I will admit that I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion.
The big issue IMO though with the fed is that there were not enough raises of the rate back when that could've mattered.
Loans and shares, not bonds and saving accounts, were still more attractive 3-4 years ago.
Lets face it.
The Fed was a major player in getting the whole world into this shit with their constant low rates.

As empty as paradise

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
I am not surprised at all to hear this......nobama is a walking contridiction.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »
Fine, why doesnt Obama return the 100k he got from them?
exactly!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
Welcome back Decker.   :)

Sure calling it a "bonus" is sort of a play on words, but it's fair.  This shows that Obama brought the same old business as usual approach to D.C.  Does not pass the smell test. 
Hey BeachBum thanks for noticing.  Obama can't change the fact that the Sup. Court has equated freedom of speech with money where elections are concerned.

IF I could, I would federalize elections, limit the exposure of the candidates to a limited number of policy addresses and debates and have the entire election cycle span 2 months.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »
Many economists disagree with the administration's approach, there are people on both sides.  Over 60% in the largest survey of economists disagreed with the administration's responce to the stimulus/bailout situation.  This got some press for about 2 days and was dropped.
Way too much spending without specific focus and accountability.
AIG should have never been given the $ or provisions should have been written to specifically direct the taxpayor bailout money.  If we are giving handouts, we need to have control of how its spent.  These are the same greedy people who ran their bank into the ground.
This administration is spending way too much and it will have consequences down the road.

Welcome back Decker!
Thanks man, it's good to be back.  Did you have a look at this article?  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/26793903/the_big_takeover/

I've seen Taibbi speak before and he's a pretty smart guy.  He really breaks down how and why this happened.

This meltdown was no accident.  The SEC and INsurance regulators should drop down on every Wall Street entity like a ton of bricks.  I don't care if it takes years.