Author Topic: Discontinued protein/supps that you miss..  (Read 10229 times)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Discontinued protein/supps that you miss..
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
I also miss any fatburner with ephedrine!!!  I'm talking real ephedra from MaHuang, not the synthetic stuff that is sold today.  Used to work great when my shift would start at 5am!

I loved the Liquid Clenbutrx that VPX made!!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:48 PM »
YES! it was MASS-TECH, that stuff was legit, well made with good clean ingredients, great sources of carbs inside. I haven't seen it around in years, was a great product. And I do remember the cookies n creme Met-RX bars! YUM!!!

Again, Mass-Tech is still being sold. In fact, I just went to GNC not that long ago and saw plenty of it on the bottom shelves of the MuscleTech section.

I forgot all about the Cybergenic 3000 Weight Gainer.  I wish I could remember the flavor but I remember they had some pretty freaky ones. 

I worked at GNC during college and I do remember the Milk and Egg powder by Challenge which was one of GNC's brands. 

Also one that i can't say I miss but I remember it was one of the first supplements I used:  Lee Haney's Mass Fuel Kit:

Those bars in the kit were pretty tough to eat I remember.

I still have the video tape that came with the Mass Fuel Kit I bought back in '93 (again on clearance from Bally's supplement shop).

The bars were indeed terrible. I tried melting one down and adding sugar; but that didn't work. In fact, it gave me a major headache. Those Mass Fuel bars should have been replaced by those Heavweight Gain bars that Champion Nutrition made (especially the chocolate-peanut butter ones).

The Mass Fuel kit was a bit ahead of its time, if you think about it. It had the Pre-exercise Energy Drink and the Post-Exercise Anabolic Recovery Drink. Both were, more or less, watered-down weight gain shakes (both fairly high-carb, with the Pre-Exercise and Post-Exercise drinks having 15 and 35 grams of protein, respectively).

Today, pre-and-post-exercise drinks are all the rage (you can now add the "during-exercise" drink to the equation). So, for Twinlab to make the Mass Fuel kit was a bit innovative. The only catch is that you'd have to use it for several months (that is, buy SEVERAL Mass Fuel kits) to get any tangible results.

pac-man

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »

I still have the video tape that came with the Mass Fuel Kit I bought back in '93 (again on clearance from Bally's supplement shop).

The bars were indeed terrible. I tried melting one down and adding sugar; but that didn't work. In fact, it gave me a major headache. Those Mass Fuel bars should have been replaced by those Heavweight Gain bars that Champion Nutrition made (especially the chocolate-peanut butter ones).

The Mass Fuel kit was a bit ahead of its time, if you think about it. It had the Pre-exercise Energy Drink and the Post-Exercise Anabolic Recovery Drink. Both were, more or less, watered-down weight gain shakes (both fairly high-carb, with the Pre-Exercise and Post-Exercise drinks having 15 and 35 grams of protein, respectively).

Today, pre-and-post-exercise drinks are all the rage (you can now add the "during-exercise" drink to the equation). So, for Twinlab to make the Mass Fuel kit was a bit innovative. The only catch is that you'd have to use it for several months (that is, buy SEVERAL Mass Fuel kits) to get any tangible results.

Yeah those Chocolate PB Heavyweight Gain Bars were awsome.  To this day the best tasting protein bar I've ever had.  Can't remember the nutritional content of them though I'm sure they were loaded with sugar. 

And yes Twinlab was actually pretty inovative back in the day.  I remember reading in that supplement refrence guide that Bill Phillips put out how Steve Blechman had the opportunity to be the first to bring creatine to the market and turned it down.  EAS came out with Phosphagen and the rest is history.  After the ephedrine ban Twinlab likely lost their key products (ripped and diet fuel).  These days I never see any Twinlab sports products anywhere.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
Yeah those Chocolate PB Heavyweight Gain Bars were awsome.  To this day the best tasting protein bar I've ever had.  Can't remember the nutritional content of them though I'm sure they were loaded with sugar. 

No more so than the average bar of that era. But, those bars had nearly twice as much protein as the Mass Fuel ones (29 grams for Heavyweight Gain bar to Mass Fuel's 15 grams). But, the fat content in Heavyweight was much higher, which might explain why they tasted so good  ;D .

And yes Twinlab was actually pretty inovative back in the day.  I remember reading in that supplement refrence guide that Bill Phillips put out how Steve Blechman had the opportunity to be the first to bring creatine to the market and turned it down.  EAS came out with Phosphagen and the rest is history.  After the ephedrine ban Twinlab likely lost their key products (ripped and diet fuel).  These days I never see any Twinlab sports products anywhere.

You can still find Ripped Fuel (Ma-Huang free) at GNC. Same goes for Amino Fuel, which I use as part of my homemade "during-exercise" drink.

Remember that Twinlab got most of its push in MD, back when both were owned by the Blechman family. Twinlab's wares were really supposed to get some exposure, when the magazine went into the "All-Natural Muscular Development" mode. But, after Steve Blechman left Twinlab and took MD with him, the supplements went into obscurity.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 07:07:59 AM »
Again, Mass-Tech is still being sold. In fact, I just went to GNC not that long ago and saw plenty of it on the bottom shelves of the MuscleTech section.

Awesome!!! I gotta go hunting for a tub!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »
ULTIMATE FUCKING ORANGE!!!!!

I swear that was the best supp ever.  It jacked you up like a mofo.  Probably had 500 mg caffeine, 200 mg ephedrine per serving.  I would feel like superman in the gym.

Technically, Ultimate Orange has been returned to the shelves. However, its formula has changed, namely no ma huang/ephedra.

I used the original once, back in college. And, I'd never use it again. Yes, it worked as advertised. But, with my right arm shaking (despite my not moving it) and my head feeling as if someone had a vice grip on it, while putting a hair dryer on "high" and aiming it for my forehead, I decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »
Technically, Ultimate Orange has been returned to the shelves. However, its formula has changed, namely no ma huang/ephedra.

I used the original once, back in college. And, I'd never use it again. Yes, it worked as advertised. But, with my right arm shaking (despite my not moving it) and my head feeling as if someone had a vice grip on it, while putting a hair dryer on "high" and aiming it for my forehead, I decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble.

That stuff was the stuff legends are made of... everyone would be shaking on a leaf on that shit, just sitting there in the gym shaking..lol

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »
That stuff was the stuff legends are made of... everyone would be shaking on a leaf on that shit, just sitting there in the gym shaking..lol

Yes, the sides weren't the greatest, but benching with it or without it was a world of difference.  I would finish my workout and want another go, it was endless energy.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Yes, the sides weren't the greatest, but benching with it or without it was a world of difference.  I would finish my workout and want another go, it was endless energy.

Oh, the energy ended. And when it did, it was CRASH CITY!!! I can do without my arm involuntarily flopping around like a displaced fish.

jodster35

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
phosfagen hope i spelled it write was the best shit green plus it was power gain weight and strenght till fag government banned everything that worked   clembuter-x was good liquide put under tounge it was liquid cocaine  damn gov  banns everything that works queerssssssssss ;)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:51 PM »
phosfagen hope i spelled it write was the best shit green plus it was power gain weight and strenght till fag government banned everything that worked   clembuter-x was good liquide put under tounge it was liquid cocaine  damn gov  banns everything that works queerssssssssss ;)

What are you talking about? If you're referring to EAS' Phosphagen (which was creatine powder), that's still on the market. If you mean EAS' PhosphaGAIN, it was their MRP with creatine in it. That may no longer be on the market. But that has nothing to do with the government banning. It was just too expensive and didn't really sell, once others started marketing their MRPs with creatine for a cheaper price.

As for your government rants, keep in mind that the government also passed the law that no longer allows stores to sell expired supplements. That's why you can get good products so cheaply at GNC, via their clearance sales.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
Ultimate Orange definitely. About 6 years ago I joined a hole in the wall gym and the owner used to sell marked up supplements that he collected and then sold to clients. He actually had two beautiful bottles of the Original Ultimate Orange on the shelf. It had expired, but I still bought it. It was awesome, like discovering the holy grail. Taking the last of those bottles killed me because I knew I'd never find it again. Damn FDA :-[

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 04:33:33 AM »
This may sound crazy but before the Ephedra ban Twinlab used me may Ripped Fuel gum...tasted like shit but a piece or two could power you through a long workout, late night studying, working...