Author Topic: Ever have something missing from your locked luggage?  (Read 2341 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Ever have something missing from your locked luggage?
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
:

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: Ever have something missing from your locked luggage?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:59 PM »
Yes, i had the special edition signed copy of the "U2" Ipod and it was missing from my luggage when i got to my destination.
D

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:24:11 AM »
I fly alot and no not yet.
But I see they have shrink wrap terminals at most airports that I believe is worth the bucks

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
When I was 16 my mom got me a job at LAX.  It was Ramp Service.  We were the guys who loaded and unloaded the luggage off the phone.  The very first day I worked there, the boss (the head guy on the ramp) taught me how to pick locks on the luggage.  These guys were taking fur coats, cameras, and anything else.  In fact one night it was cold and the boss found a fur coat and wore it during work.  One time the set up a major deal where they drove the carts to the far east end of the airport and was throwing stuff over the fence to some other guys.  I worked there for a few months and I ended up telling my mom what they did.  She called the president of the company who got me the job and he ended up firing a bunch of people.  That Mercury Service not even sure if they are still around.  They were pretty big.  I don't check in any baggage.  When I went to China for a month I ended up UPS everything back to Hawaii I had.  One trip I took to Miami I had a brand new Tumi leather garment bag.  It was $400 (back in 87) and the first trip I took with it the whole bag got stolen.  My advice is try not to avoid check in baggage as much as possible.  If you know what hotel you are staying at it is almost better to UPS your luggage to the hotel and they will have it in your room when you arrive or at the bell desk

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:28:40 AM »
I once had a curling iron missing from my locked luggage on a flight back from LA in 95,  nothing else that I can think of though.

The security at LAX ticks me off.  Back in 1991, I had some little thing barely 4' 5" if that ask to see my boarding pass with luggage stickers on them to make sure the suitcases I had picked up off the carousel were actually mine. I was like "*itch please! Get out of my face!"  ::)

I did have my suitcase go missing from a flight back from Orlando in 2007. They forgot to put it on the plane.  :'(
To make matters worse, I had planned to wear my leather motorcycle jacket home, and placed my keys in the front pocket, ...at the last minute, changed my mind and decided to wear a sweater instead, so I took off the jacket, and placed it in my suitcase (with the keys still in the pocket of course)  duh! :o

I had fun figuring out how to break into my house that night. Needless to say I've since rectified that potential little security breach. Last summer, I got a nice little notecard from DHS's TSA agents informing me that they had randomly selected & opened up one of my checked bags. It didn't bother me. That bag contained nothing personal, and only business materials. At least they left a note. If they had rifled through my lingerie, and delicate unmentionables, it might have been a whole nother story.
w

Tapper

• Getbig IV
  • You're an SMF!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »
If they had rifled through my lingerie, and delicate unmentionables, it might have been a whole nother story.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
I once had a curling iron missing from my locked luggage on a flight back from LA in 95,  nothing else that I can think of though.

The security at LAX ticks me off.  Back in 1991, I had some little thing barely 4' 5" if that ask to see my boarding pass with luggage stickers on them to make sure the suitcases I had picked up off the carousel were actually mine. I was like "*itch please! Get out of my face!"  ::)

I did have my suitcase go missing from a flight back from Orlando in 2007. They forgot to put it on the plane.  :'(
To make matters worse, I had planned to wear my leather motorcycle jacket home, and placed my keys in the front pocket, ...at the last minute, changed my mind and decided to wear a sweater instead, so I took off the jacket, and placed it in my suitcase (with the keys still in the pocket of course)  duh! :o

I had fun figuring out how to break into my house that night. Needless to say I've since rectified that potential little security breach. Last summer, I got a nice little notecard from DHS's TSA agents informing me that they had randomly selected & opened up one of my checked bags. It didn't bother me. That bag contained nothing personal, and only business materials. At least they left a note. If they had rifled through my lingerie, and delicate unmentionables, it might have been a whole nother story.

i thought you went commando

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
I never check baggage.  No matter where I am going or not matter how long I stay, I do carry on.  Or I ship my luggage ahead.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
I never check baggage.  No matter where I am going or not matter how long I stay, I do carry on.  Or I ship my luggage ahead.
They are getting very strict with carry on weight now a days.
5 kgs.... anything more you are in shit and they do weigh it, something they did not do with hand bagage in the old days.
So basically with a laptop in its bag with accessories you are 3/4 of the way there.

Shipping ahead for me is not an option.

I am flying to Ghana on the 27th of this month on business and I will definitely be shrink wrapping my bag.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
i thought you went commando

:o  shhhhhh... that was supposed to be our little secret.  >:(
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
They are getting very strict with carry on weight now a days.
5 kgs.... anything more you are in shit and they do weigh it, something they did not do with hand bagage in the old days.
So basically with a laptop in its bag with accessories you are 3/4 of the way there.

Shipping ahead for me is not an option.

I am flying to Ghana on the 27th of this month on business and I will definitely be shrink wrapping my bag.

Good idea. Hopefully they won't "lose" your luggage.
I can't tell you how many shipments I've seen "lost/stolen" when sent to Ghana.
It got so bad, my friend actually sought out the person he had to bribe to ensure his shipments got through to their destination.
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
Good idea. Hopefully they won't "lose" your luggage.
I can't tell you how many shipments I've seen "lost/stolen" when sent to Ghana.

Why is that?

I wish Dateline or someone would do an undercover investigation on this.  Seems like no one is held accountable or responsible for lost or stolen property.  There seems to be no consequences for the offenders.
:

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
Why is that?

The MPG Caps do a heckuva job reducing fuel consumption and saving people money on their fuel costs.
Whenever they saw a big shipment from Canada or the USA, they took it. We experienced that in many countries.
The hard part is that in order to be legally compliant, you have to state exactly what it is you're sending...
The challenge becomes once you do, it's like a neon sign that says "steal me, steal me". In countries of extreme poverty, theft & corruption are often survival mechanisms, so people often turn a blind eye to it, even expect it.
In some markets, those caplets make such a difference financially & environmentally they're treasured like gold.

If we thought waiting for things to clear in customs was bad, ...once it left customs it sometimes got even worse.
It got so bad at one point, a girlfriend simply flew to Thailand with her suitcases full of blisterpacks of mpg-caps. {lol}

I wish Dateline or someone would do an undercover investigation on this.  Seems like no one is held accountable or responsible for lost or stolen property.  There seems to be no consequences for the offenders.

If a starving person stole a piece of bread and a bottle of water from you, and it saved their life, or fed their baby
...how inclined would you be to press theft charges against him? Ya it's wrong, ...but would you press charges?
And if you were a cop, ...how inclined would you be to devote scarce resourses to seeking him out for imprisonment when you could instead use those resources to lock up rapists, murderers, and keeping civil order in the streets? :D
w