Author Topic: Why do so many people have so much against protein powder?  (Read 17518 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Why do so many people have so much against protein powder?
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
lol, you drink too many shakes.

Just convenient homey, convenience is my middle and last name and recently my first name too.... ;)

Aber ich hab mich verbessert. Jetzt liegt meine Zufuhr von richtigem Essen bei ca. 60%...
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
Just convenient homey, convenience is my middle and last name and recently my first name too.... ;)

Aber ich hab mich verbessert. Jetzt liegt meine Zufuhr von richtigem Essen bei ca. 60%...

lol, good thing, but "convenience" is probably the reason why we get fat in the first way.  ;D ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
lol, good thing, but "convenience" is probably the reason why we get fat in the first way.  ;D ;D

Es ist aber eine andere Art von 'Convience'... ;D
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2009, 01:35:35 PM »
Once again, why so obsessed with whey? Casein is a great protein in its own right with a different profile.

It isn’t about obsession with whey, Deicide.

For starters, two of the powders I mentioned (Mass XXX and Nitro Core 24) are not pure whey protein powders.

If I’m “obsessed” with anything, it is with getting protein powder (regardless of type) cheap. It just so happens that most of the products on which I got the big discounts are whey protein powders.

I’ve done the same thing with soy protein. In fact, the last great deal with that was a 4-lb jug of GNC Soy Protein 95 for about $15. I grabbed a couple of them for that price.

The reason I don’t buy casein powder is 1) it’s too expensive; and I’ve yet to see any marked down for clearance; and 2) with casein being 80% of milk protein, I can get that much cheaper by simply getting cans of evaporated milk.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »

Casein protein, found in milk and cottage cheese....

...best protein on earth in my opinion. Whey is good, but in comparison between the two, I'll take Casein any and every day of the week.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
protein powder is convenient... nothing against it from me

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

For starters, two of the powders I mentioned (Mass XXX and Nitro Core 24) are not pure whey protein powders.

If I’m “obsessed” with anything, it is with getting protein powder (regardless of type) cheap. It just so happens that most of the products on which I got the big discounts are whey protein powders.

I’ve done the same thing with soy protein. In fact, the last great deal with that was a 4-lb jug of GNC Soy Protein 95 for about $15. I grabbed a couple of them for that price.

The reason I don’t buy casein powder is 1) it’s too expensive; and I’ve yet to see any marked down for clearance; and 2) with casein being 80% of milk protein, I can get that much cheaper by simply getting cans of evaporated milk.

And, not but just a few hours after typing this, I hit a GNC store on the way to the gym and what do I find..........

Two 5-lb jugs of GNC's Mega Whey marked down to $10 each. That's $20 for 10 lbs of Mega Whey; actually it's April 2, which means GOLD CARD time.

So, those jugs actually cost me a mere $16.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2009, 12:47:05 AM »
Casein protein, found in milk and cottage cheese....

...best protein on earth in my opinion. Whey is good, but in comparison between the two, I'll take Casein any and every day of the week.

QFT, studies show this too  8)
175lbs by 31st July

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:17 AM »
QFT, studies show this too  8)

yes, yes, praise the Lord! :)
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2009, 03:20:26 AM »

Watch your mouth, convict!!
No doubt about it...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:03 AM »

Did you can get 10 lbs of casein protein powder for $16??

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2009, 06:29:06 AM »
Did you can get 10 lbs of casein protein powder for $16??

No...not really sure what I pay; I put in credit into my friend's business so I get a discount.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

Yesterday, I hit the jackpot, in the form of RTDs, namely:

MET-Rx Big 100 (Apple Pie)- $0.97 each; got 3 of those.

ABB Extreme Body 50 (Vanilla Bean) - $0.87 each, got 8 of them.

Designer Whey (Grape) - $0.99 each, ended up with 3.

Instone Protein Pudding (Banana Cream) $0.49 each, picked up the last 3.

Extreme XXL (Strawberry Banana) - $0.99 each, there was only one of those. Same goes for CytoProtein (Tropical). I got those, instead of the IsoPure Zero Carb ($1.17 a piece). They were cheaper and not packed in glass bottles.

There were some 4-packs of NITRO-TECH RTDs for $3.75. I would have bought those; but the Extreme Body ones were cheaper. If they're still on the shelves, I might just snatch them up.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
damn mcway, you sure do find the deaqls. id love to find some of gnc mass xxxl rtd on sale for those kinds of prices. those are currently my rtd of choice when im in a bind and have to use one.

Dr Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
Didnt read the entire thread but no one I ever knew that was big or advanced in this game didnt like powders. some guys use them heavy, I do

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
the thing is with protein powders is that the evidence as to how they best work is so fragmented and anecdotal that we have no idea how to really use it....we basically blindly follow what the magazines tell us and we ingest about 2-3 shakes per day, but some say that this is whey too much (pun intended)

some say you should take in one shake a day because your body can't possibly absorb so much protein per day and per serving and it just winds up either being excreted or turned into fat

it's funny that we spend tons of money on tis product and NO ONE REALLY KNOWS how to use it

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
the thing is with protein powders is that the evidence as to how they best work is so fragmented and anecdotal that we have no idea how to really use it....we basically blindly follow what the magazines tell us and we ingest about 2-3 shakes per day, but some say that this is whey too much (pun intended)

some say you should take in one shake a day because your body can't possibly absorb so much protein per day and per serving and it just winds up either being excreted or turned into fat

it's funny that we spend tons of money on tis product and NO ONE REALLY KNOWS how to use it
heres the problem.

people believe that if you can only grow a total of 2 grams of muscle per ray, that all you really need is 2 grams of protein per day in order to grow best.  or, even if its possible to grow by 100 grams of muscle per day (abotu a lb of muscle in one day), then all one needs to consume is 100g of protein in one day.

this is false.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »

We do know how to use it.....It's called TRIAL AND ERROR!

Some need higher protein intakes; some need lower ones. Lou Ferrigno said is best, "Bodybuilding isn't something you analyze; it's something you go out and do."

Start with the basic rule of thumb of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. If that's too much, LOWER your protein intake; if it's not.

You'd be best served to quit trying to write a thesis about the subject and just get it done.

heres the problem.

people believe that if you can only grow a total of 2 grams of muscle per ray, that all you really need is 2 grams of protein per day in order to grow best.  or, even if its possible to grow by 100 grams of muscle per day (abotu a lb of muscle in one day), then all one needs to consume is 100g of protein in one day.

this is false.

And, the reason it's false is because building extreme muscle mass is the LAST thing on your body's agenda, when it comes to the use of protein. Protein is used for various functions and requirements, and it's only after all of those have been met, that extra muscle size comes into play.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
damn mcway, you sure do find the deaqls. id love to find some of gnc mass xxxl rtd on sale for those kinds of prices. those are currently my rtd of choice when im in a bind and have to use one.

Actually, I've never tried the Mass XXX RTDs, nor have I ever seen them on sale. I have used ABB's Extreme XXL RTD, which is similar. That's the one I got for $0.99.

The Mass XXX RTDs have pure whey protein. The 6-lb jugs and 13-lb buckets have whey, casein, and soy as their protein sources. It's the 13-lb bucket, to which I was making reference (when speaking to Deicide) that I got for $28.

I got those on the 9th. But the GNC that sold them didn't have them out during the first week. Otherwise, I would have used by Gold Card and obtained them for even less.

However, there are some GNCs (other than the ones on military bases) that let you use your Gold Card every day. However, the only ones I've seen are in Florida. That's how I ended up with two jugs of Anator P-70 (which I think might be discontinued) for about $20.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
Didnt read the entire thread but no one I ever knew that was big or advanced in this game didnt like powders. some guys use them heavy, I do

For some strange reason, there's this posse of people (MidniteRambo refers to them as the "Whole Food-ist Cult"), who think that they're "hardcore", because they don't use supplements (particularly protein powder). They're under the impression that evil bands of supplement companies and magazine publishers are uniting to hypnotize them with glossy multiple-page ads, loaded with ripped and massive bodybuilders (complete with half-naked, silicone/saline-enhanced models, shrink-wrapped to them), to bleed them of their hard-earned $$$$$.

But, they're not falling for it. They're "hardcore"; they're just going to eat regular food and grow (Of course, half of them have no clue how to eat properly, which is why they can easily accuse anyone with 2 ounces more muscle than themselves as being "all drugs").

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
We do know how to use it.....It's called TRIAL AND ERROR!

Some need higher protein intakes; some need lower ones. Lou Ferrigno said is best, "Bodybuilding isn't something you analyze; it's something you go out and do."

Start with the basic rule of thumb of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. If that's too much, LOWER your protein intake; if it's not.

You'd be best served to quit trying to write a thesis about the subject and just get it done.

And, the reason it's false is because building extreme muscle mass is the LAST thing on your body's agenda, when it comes to the use of protein. Protein is used for various functions and requirements, and it's only after all of those have been met, that extra muscle size comes into play.

no one is trying to write a thesis McWay.....you and I basically said the same thing but differently..you mentioned TRIAL AND ERROR..which is basically the same as ANECDOTAL......there is no one standard to judge whether the protein ingestion is working or by how much.....you say this and I say that......everyone using protein powders say one thing or another...there is no true coherence to the experiences of people using Protein..or many other supps for that matter....I guess we would all have to use the same protein powder, at the same times, using the same dosages, and do the same workouts for a prolonged period of time to judge their true effectiveness...not just go by what you say or I say or some other average joe says....and professional BBer's are the worst people to take advice from on this subject because they are on drugs and would grow if they never ever touched a protein shake

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »

no one is trying to write a thesis McWay.....you and I basically said the same thing but differently..you mentioned TRIAL AND ERROR..which is basically the same as ANECDOTAL......there is no one standard to judge whether the protein ingestion is working or by how much.....you say this and I say that......everyone using protein powders say one thing or another...there is no true coherence to the experiences of people using Protein..or many other supps for that matter....I guess we would all have to use the same protein powder, at the same times, using the same dosages, and do the same workouts for a prolonged period of time to judge their true effectiveness...not just go by what you say or I say or some other average joe says....and professional BBer's are the worst people to take advice from on this subject because they are on drugs and would grow if they never ever touched a protein shake

All of us have taken advice from professional bodybuilders (mainly via muscle magazines). The worst attitude you can have is to think you can't learn anything from them, because they take steroids. It ain't as if they took them from the instant they started lifting their uncle's/brother's/dad's old cement weights.

Advice from pros is how I learned that training to failure was not best for my physique and that I needed to ingest more protein myself. And, I started during the late 80s/early 90s, when high-carb intake was in fashion.

I used to think (as some still do) that supplements were worthless (especially protein powder). But, more in-depth reading helped me realize that these guys were ingesting lots of protein powder, in addition to their regular meals. I modified their advice to my body, accordingly, and the results picked up.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
All of us have taken advice from professional bodybuilders (mainly via muscle magazines). The worst attitude you can have is to think you can't learn anything from them, because they take steroids. It ain't as if they took them from the instant they started lifting their uncle's/brother's/dad's old cement weights.

Advice from pros is how I learned that training to failure was not best for my physique and that I needed to ingest more protein myself. And, I started during the late 80s/early 90s, when high-carb intake was in fashion.

I used to think (as some still do) that supplements were worthless (especially protein powder). But, more in-depth reading helped me realize that these guys were ingesting lots of protein powder, in addition to their regular meals. I modified their advice to my body, accordingly, and the results picked up.

good for you McWay.....nice post....can't argue with that because this has been your experience....still, others experience varies....we'll never be able to outprove each other on this subject...