Author Topic: Just injured myself in the lower back whilst doing leg press...  (Read 5745 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Fuck, it hurts like hell.

My gym is horrible and they have nothing and no where to do squats so there is this shitty leg press that looks like a car seat, terrible for the back when you go low because you have to start all scrunched up, anyway I was doing my last set on my last 15 rep session on HST and something kind of snapped and I had to stop immediately. It's a sharp pain on my lower left side. If that fucking leg press didn't look like a car seat and had a proper angle to it, this would have never happened.

So what to do now? I plan on taking the next 2 days off anyway, maybe do some light cardio if I am up to it but in the future I just don't trust that machine. The only thing left to do would be leg extensions? Does anybody have any good whole leg exercises that involve minimal back risk that I could substitute for the leg press?

Thanks to all.
I hate the State.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Just injured myself in the lower back whilst doing leg press...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:03 AM »
Fuck, it hurts like hell.

My gym is horrible and they have nothing and no where to do squats so there is this shitty leg press that looks like a car seat, terrible for the back when you go low because you have to start all scrunched up, anyway I was doing my last set on my last 15 rep session on HST and something kind of snapped and I had to stop immediately. It's a sharp pain on my lower left side. If that fucking leg press didn't look like a car seat and had a proper angle to it, this would have never happened.

So what to do now? I plan on taking the next 2 days off anyway, maybe do some light cardio if I am up to it but in the future I just don't trust that machine. The only thing left to do would be leg extensions? Does anybody have any good whole leg exercises that involve minimal back risk that I could substitute for the leg press?

Thanks to all.
Hmm. Bank seat or bucket seat?    ;D

/walking lunges done right, are excellent

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:55:43 AM »

Lunges I was thinking about. I have never done them so am kind of clueless. Do you have any links with proper execution guidelines? Thanks doc.
I hate the State.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »
Lunges I was thinking about. I have never done them so am kind of clueless. Do you have any links with proper execution guidelines? Thanks doc.
No. I'm just off to the gym, myself. Try the dumbbells version at the waist, rather than the Ronnie in the parking lot variety. Seems to 'pull' you into the proper groove/gait. You get about 5-6 lunges in and you think it's easy;but then, a step or two later, the room telescopes and you're really working it. Best.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:11:10 AM »
No. I'm just off to the gym, myself. Try the dumbbells version at the waist, rather than the Ronnie in the parking lot variety. Seems to 'pull' you into the proper groove/gait. You get about 5-6 lunges in and you think it's easy;but then, a step or two later, the room telescopes and you're really working it. Best.

Will do doc...will look some lunge stuff up on the net.
I hate the State.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:31:08 AM »
...all scrunched up, anyway I was doing my last set on my last 15 rep session on HST and something kind of snapped and I had to stop immediately. It's a sharp pain on my lower left side.

Pain on the side in the lower back region may be a pelvic rotation and / or your sacroiliac (SI) might be out.

Any chiropractor and some physical therapists will be able to fix that.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:56 AM »

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »
Go to your chiro.
It could be your Sacro-iliac joint.
I have done the same thing with my own back.
Turns out I had piriformis syndrome, which can cause the S/I joint to be out of whack.
When I started stretching/foam rollering/rehabbing my piriformis, my pain went away.
Look up piriformis syndrome on the net and on Youtube for all of the stretches.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:24:39 AM »
Overly tight hamstrings can also lead to SI problems.
Might want to stretch those, too.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
Cheers for the info and suggestions guys. :)
I hate the State.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
If there was an audible snap along with feeling, then I wouldn't do a damn thing until tomorrow or the next day.  You might have torn a muscle-I've done this 4 times, and it's never pretty.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
If there was an audible snap along with feeling, then I wouldn't do a damn thing until tomorrow or the next day.  You might have torn a muscle-I've done this 4 times, and it's never pretty.

I wouldn't call it a real snap, but it was a sharp pain and I stopped immediately, finished off with leg extensions. I am definitely in pain but will be taking the next 2 days off and hope to be good to go by that time.
I hate the State.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »

Bulgarian split squat with dumbbells is also excellent.

Then again, I think all machines like the leg press, hack squat, etc.. pretty much suck unless you're a real bodybuilder.
Y

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Bulgarian split squat with dumbbells is also excellent.

Then again, I think all machines like the leg press, hack squat, etc.. pretty much suck unless you're a real bodybuilder.

Yeah, Mass sent me a clip with the Bulgarians, will try them out, seem good and safe.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
I've hurt my lower back on a decent leg press (as well as during deadlifts) before.

I felt a "swink" and then major pain.  After hurting it during deadlifts I could barely walk out of the gym. 

Both times I stopped lifting for a week and was fine.   Back pain is scary but sometimes it's not that serious.  Hopefully this is the case for you.
R

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »
Yeah, Mass sent me a clip with the Bulgarians, will try them out, seem good and safe.

Good luck.  They're safe, but not easy at all.   Add in isometric holds at the end and they're brutal.
Y

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:22 PM »
I've hurt my lower back on a decent leg press (as well as during deadlifts) before.

I felt a "swink" and then major pain.  After hurting it during deadlifts I could barely walk out of the gym. 

Both times I stopped lifting for a week and was fine.   Back pain is scary but sometimes it's not that serious.  Hopefully this is the case for you.

I really blame it on the leg press. I mean, you start off crunched in like in a box. I won't be using it the future anymore and will be trying stuff I have never done before like lunges, bulgarians and sumo squats with the dumbbell. I hope my back is ok in a few days as I don't want to take off too long from training.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
I really blame it on the leg press. I mean, you start off crunched in like in a box. I won't be using it the future anymore and will be trying stuff I have never done before like lunges, bulgarians and sumo squats with the dumbbell. I hope my back is ok in a few days as I don't want to take off too long from training.

Maybe give legs at least a week and try to sit w/your back supported for upper body training.

Have fun w/lunges and sumos btw...you may want to ease into those so you don't need a wheelchair to go to the bathroom at night!  Oh yeah, you don't have to sit down  >:(
R

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »
go to the doc to make sure there's no structural damage. than try leg ext leg curls and supported hack machine squats. if you have gravity inversion boots that might alleviate the pain. good luck...
F

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advices.
I hate the State.