Author Topic: Cigarette taxes will be tripled this week  (Read 1596 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Cigarette taxes will be tripled this week
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/29/single-largest-cigarette-tax-hike-goes-effect-wednesday/

Though we argue about income taxes, we are starting to see liberals increasing other forms of taxation to try to offset some of the immense spending (and also curb our habits to what doesn't conform).  I supported the ban of cigarette smoke in resturants because it harmed others, this is going too far.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Cigarette taxes will be tripled this week
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:47:02 AM »
When everybody quits, where will that money be made up.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:06:31 AM »

longterm healthcare costs.

I'm betting a lot of the 1/6 of the population who doesn't have health insurance just happens to be heavy % smokers.  Smart, rich healthy people are less likely to develop the habit, one could guess?

You'd have a lot fewer ppl entering the ER with lung ailments.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
longterm healthcare costs.

I'm betting a lot of the 1/6 of the population who doesn't have health insurance just happens to be heavy % smokers.  Smart, rich healthy people are less likely to develop the habit, one could guess?

You'd have a lot fewer ppl entering the ER with lung ailments.

You are kidding right??? THe "RICH" are the biggest smokers, coke snorters, drug abusers and alcoholics. You think these celebrity substance abuse places are in such high demand in america becasue the wealthy live well???

The main reason people enter a hospital through the emergency remove is because of ACCIDENTS (unintended unexpected injuries)...those who enter the hospital becasue of lung ailments outside of asthma are those who have neglected their health, have poor nutrition, drug addicts etc... and that population is asthmatics, bronchitis, pneumonia and then comes the lung cancers
C

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:01:54 AM »

THe cigarrette companies market their products around the world and therefore are not HURTING at all. As people quit or reduce consumption in america it is increased in Asia, Middle East, Africa, Central and South America. Also the cigarrette industry owns many food industries like  Phillip Morris owns RJR REYNOLDS. So they will raise the price of food in america to offset any lagging sales...
C

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
If we develop a nationalized health care system, we will see more things like this...taxing what the gov feels is harmful for health or what could raise health expenses. 

I am all for reducing smoking but the main issue is should the gov be able to decide what is bad and then tax the shit out of it?  That could be a slippery slope.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
I hate taxes, but I hate tobacco companies even more.  Why we allow those companies to exist, and worse subsidize them, is something I'll never understand. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »
I can't imagine the gov still subsidizes the tobacco companies, is that true?

Hey, I love that people can't smoke in most public places anymore.  Its a disgusting habit which is bad for the smokers health and harms those around them. 
But its scary that the gov can pick something they don't like (AIG bonuses, cigarettes, etc) and levy excessive taxation.  Should they have the power to do that?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
I can't imagine the gov still subsidizes the tobacco companies, is that true?

Hey, I love that people can't smoke in most public places anymore.  Its a disgusting habit which is bad for the smokers health and harms those around them. 
But its scary that the gov can pick something they don't like (AIG bonuses, cigarettes, etc) and levy excessive taxation.  Should they have the power to do that?

Looks like we stopped subsidizing tobacco a few years ago. 

My problem isn't with smokers.  It's with tobacco companies.  They have to hook kids to stay in business.  They sell a product that kills people when used as intended.  Just an evil enterprise IMO. 

I agree the feds have been engaging in some scary behavior.  Very erratic.  Good thing we have the courts.  No way would a 90 percent tax targeted at a handful of people would survive.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
If we develop a nationalized health care system, we will see more things like this...taxing what the gov feels is harmful for health or what could raise health expenses. 

I am all for reducing smoking but the main issue is should the gov be able to decide what is bad and then tax the shit out of it?  That could be a slippery slope.

Norway raised the tobacco taxes so a pack of cigs costs around 8-10 dollars.
Smoking drastically went down.
Lots of benefits from that - a better overall health in the population in the long run.

As empty as paradise

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:23:07 PM »
THe cigarrette companies market their products around the world and therefore are not HURTING at all. As people quit or reduce consumption in america it is increased in Asia, Middle East, Africa, Central and South America. Also the cigarrette industry owns many food industries like  Phillip Morris owns RJR REYNOLDS. So they will raise the price of food in america to offset any lagging sales...

No kidding....except much of the revenues are generated per pack. If US people stop smoking, that money will have to be replaced. I could care less if the rest of the world smokes.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:23:35 PM »
Smart people are less likely to be smokers.  Lots of studies out there.

Income for parents in smoke-free households are higher than those of smokers.

Smoking rates go down for those with more income or education.

Social class, educational level, and residential deprivation level independently related to cigarette smoking habit in both men and women.  For those with educational level less than O level compared with those with O level qualifications or higher and 1.84 (95% CI 1.62 to 2.08) for high versus low area deprivation level. For women, the odds ratios for current smoking for manual social class were 1.14 (95% CI 1.03 to 1.27); 1.31 (95% CI 1.18 to 1.46) for low educational level and 1.68 (95% CI 1.49 to 1.90) for high residential deprivation respectively.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=smoking+habit+by+income&aq=f&oq=

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »
I've never smoked. 

I think outrageously high taxes on cigarettes are wrong though.   :-\
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
Me either, but if u want to smoke go ahead. Don't do it near me...but smoke up.
L

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »
No kidding....except much of the revenues are generated per pack. If US people stop smoking, that money will have to be replaced. I could care less if the rest of the world smokes.

It does not matter whether it is per pack or per carton the cigarrette company makes a killing. It costs next to nothig to make cigarrettes so all of the money made is practically profit. Most of the cost of cigarettes like gas and alcohol is from taxes and that money goes to the state and federal coffers. What americans should be asking is WHERE THE HELL IS ALL OF THAT TAX MONEY???

I already said the tobacco industry is spread world wide so they will NEVER hurt for money and if there should be some substantial profit loss for some strange reason, these tobacco firms have already bought and own many food industries like RJR REYNOLDS which owns Nabisco and Borden and I am sure they will come to own more ...

Always care about the health and life of others less they will care nothing for yours...
C

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »
It's just a ridiculous notion that the government should say that since this item is bad for you "we" can levy higher taxes on it.  How about soda and candy?  When are we going to see comprabable taxes levied on these things?  Diabetes and Heart disease are still the leading killers of americans.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »
Hopefully the Indian guy comes through with the cheap dip.  I think chew is supposed to go up too.  I understand the reasons but smoking is a choice, just like drinking.  Luckily for the tobacco companies that China is the highest smoking population world now so it doesn't matter to them.
Squishy face retard

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 01:50:44 AM »
Hopefully the Indian guy comes through with the cheap dip.  I think chew is supposed to go up too.  I understand the reasons but smoking is a choice, just like drinking.  Luckily for the tobacco companies that China is the highest smoking population world now so it doesn't matter to them.

My neighbor across the hall is a pilot and he goes to mexico about once a week so I throw him 20 dollars whenever I need a carton.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 03:45:22 AM »
I've never smoked. 

I think outrageously high taxes on cigarettes are wrong though.   :-\

What are outrageously high taxes?

I believe it's perfectly fine to tax cigarettes for the cost it adds to health care, the decrease in work capacity everyday (smoke breaks and sick days) et al.

So the tax on cigarettes aren't paying the damage they cause.

Now some people may argue that the tax from cigarettes are used to other means rather than to take care of the effects of cigarette smoking.

But high taxes on cigarettes means that some other taxes can be slightly lower.

It's all about balancing a budget. One dollar in - one dollar out.

So if you can bring in X amount of dollars on cigarette taxes - you don't have to bring in X amount of dollars in other areas.
As empty as paradise

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:27 AM »
Its also about gov control of behaviors, which is scary.

Another problem is that the gov is creating programs and spending that relies on these larger taxes.  Say people do stop smoking...excellent, but other taxes have to go up.  The core issue is decreasing gov spending!  That was the buzz a year ago but forgotten in many current debates.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 07:30:15 AM »
Another problem is that the gov is creating programs and spending that relies on these larger taxes.  Say people do stop smoking...excellent, but other taxes have to go up.  The core issue is decreasing gov spending!  That was the buzz a year ago but forgotten in many current debates.
That's your argument for not raising taxes on cigarettes?
That the government may somehow use the money wrong?
What about getting people to stop this deadly habit? Not a priority for you?
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
That's your argument for not raising taxes on cigarettes?
That the government may somehow use the money wrong?
What about getting people to stop this deadly habit? Not a priority for you?

It gives too much power to the politicians.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 07:50:52 AM »
What are outrageously high taxes?

I believe it's perfectly fine to tax cigarettes for the cost it adds to health care, the decrease in work capacity everyday (smoke breaks and sick days) et al.

So the tax on cigarettes aren't paying the damage they cause.

Now some people may argue that the tax from cigarettes are used to other means rather than to take care of the effects of cigarette smoking.

But high taxes on cigarettes means that some other taxes can be slightly lower.

It's all about balancing a budget. One dollar in - one dollar out.

So if you can bring in X amount of dollars on cigarette taxes - you don't have to bring in X amount of dollars in other areas.

Nice theory but never works in reality. As a whole, taxes always go up, they never level off or go down. If I'm wrong I'd like to see evidence of where taxes went down and stayed down because other taxes went up.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
Nice theory but never works in reality. As a whole, taxes always go up, they never level off or go down. If I'm wrong I'd like to see evidence of where taxes went down and stayed down because other taxes went up.
My guess is that the US taxes are lower now than they were during the golden era of the 50's and the 60's.
I sure know they are lower over here anyway.
One problem is that politicians - like Obama - try to win elections by promising that they will introduce tax cuts.
That's the main reason why USA is in deep problems today IMHO.
A culture where politicians can't get reelected unless they either deliver a big tax cut or a big government funded program.
It's a spiral to economic disaster.
You need leaders who will have guts to refuse to stoop to these populist tendencies.
Everything has to be paid for.
That's the bottom line.
So perhaps the one thing I think Obama has really gotten right was when he actually included the Iraq war in the budget.
Absurd how that was previously left out.     
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »
As empty as paradise