Author Topic: Tom Platz making a comeback.  (Read 19384 times)

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
Re: Tom Platz making a comeback.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
Tom's Quote: "I think there's something still left in the basement"

Hahahaaha. Attempt at sounding hardcore!

He's a living legend ass >:(.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »
He very quickly returned to an undermuscled short little nobody once he went of the roids.

History remembers nothing about this borderline dwarf.

He trained with appalling technique, cheated by using boatloads of drugs and to top it off, would never answer truthfully on his training and drug regime.

A legacy of nothingness! 

Now, basically broke and irrelevant, Tom wants to re-live a 'Stallone-inspired' dream!  Hahahahah.  These little men  are hilarious!

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »
New Hank Wood hates everyone it appears

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »
The influx and over population of the dwarf-like man into the sport has contributed to its ruination!

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
He very quickly returned to an undermuscled short little nobody once he went of the roids.

History remembers nothing about this borderline dwarf.

He trained with appalling technique, cheated by using boatloads of drugs and to top it off, would never answer truthfully on his training and drug regime.

A legacy of nothingness! 

Now, basically broke and irrelevant, Tom wants to re-live a 'Stallone-inspired' dream!  Hahahahah.  These little men  are hilarious!
^ Biggest asshole on the web!!

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »
Have spoken to Tom Platz at least a dozen times through the years... A class act and gentleman all the way!

He lived in the Golden era of Bodybuilding.  Those years are gone.  The sport is simply a joke today.

Here is the routine I watched in 1984 at just 11 years old (Haney's first ever win) on a Betamax tape.  Marvin Gay was the song artist.....(I never even noticed Tom's torn bicep!)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Lb6FNXn5k&feature=related

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 07:30:15 PM »
I agree with ya, Grant. The world of BB has indeed changed but you yourself are partly responsible.

Me thinks you just quit too damn early and lets others lead the way.

You had the potential to contribute to the betterment of this game but chose a different path.

I also knew Tom when he was at his best and I helped carry a few friends out the old Gold's on 2nd in Santa Monica after a hard core leg training session with him. He was highly respected back then as was anyone who managed to complete a workout with him and live to tell about it.

Those who criticize Tom in his later years lack the respect that we have who knew him and many other old timers who set lifting records that many attempt to emulate today.

My best regards go out to Tom for his past and future accomplishments and to all those who show respect for anyone who has accomplished what is damn near impossible for the rest of us.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »
Respect is earned. 

Respect is not garnered via way of consuming steroids and other pharmaceuticals to deal with physique-issues.

If 'respect' equals the ability to consume more drugs than the next so-called Pro, then i suppose this dwarf-like-Platz fits the bill!

Again, the hero-worship of a midget whose whole so-called success is drug related, is the reason  this Industry is still languishing in the sewer!

Big_Gunzzzz

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 08:00:19 PM »
Respect is earned. 

Respect is not garnered via way of consuming steroids and other pharmaceuticals to deal with physique-issues.

If 'respect' equals the ability to consume more drugs than the next so-called Pro, then i suppose this dwarf-like-Platz fits the bill!

Again, the hero-worship of a midget whose whole so-called success is drug related, is the reason  this Industry is still languishing in the sewer!

What about a tall bodybuilder who came back at an advanced age whose whole so-called success is drug related?  Gary Strydom for example.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
Hank, with all due respect to you as a human being sharing some space on this big blue marble, I think it is your mind that is "languishing in the sewer".

Take some time and read your input and tell me if you don't agree.

Respectfully submitted, Stunt

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
Just heard about an interview that happened by the "golden Eagle" himself that he is definitely thinking about making a comeback this year at the age of 53.

part of the interview:
Q: You retired from pro bodybuilding competitions in 1987 but did a 'Comeback' in 1995 and you were awarded Honorary Mr. America. Any plans for making another comeback?

A: Yes actually I am. I've actually been thinking about this for two years now, but next year 2009, I'm seriously considering making a comeback. It's not something that just happens in your mind, it's more than that. I still have that same passion as I did when I was nine. When I saw the most recent Rocky film that came out about two years ago and he said that line "I think there's something still left in the basement" I could relate to it and it inspired me.

Something he left in the basement? Sounds like common sense. He'd better go back down and retrieve it

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
He is just another broken-down and insignificant X-Pro. 

He has nothing else going on in life so he masturbates over old Rocky movies.

He dreams of emulating the likes of that other gh-midget in Stallone.

Yes, Tom is short-on meaningful role models.

This 53 year old nobody needs to get a 'real' hobby and must stop fantasizing about being a big bloated roided midget!

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
I agree with ya, Grant. The world of BB has indeed changed but you yourself are partly responsible.   Me thinks you just quit too damn early and lets others lead the way.

You had the potential to contribute to the betterment of this game but chose a different path.

I also knew Tom when he was at his best and I helped carry a few friends out the old Gold's on 2nd in Santa Monica after a hard core leg training session with him. He was highly respected back then as was anyone who managed to complete a workout with him and live to tell about it.

Those who criticize Tom in his later years lack the respect that we have who knew him and many other old timers who set lifting records that many attempt to emulate today.

My best regards go out to Tom for his past and future accomplishments and to all those who show respect for anyone who has accomplished what is damn near impossible for the rest of us.

You give me too much credit, Stunt! But appreciate your kind words!  I saw the writing on the wall.... and the drug use was simply becoming (and still IS) insane!  That is why I quit. I looked for something that offered more money and les risk......

Regardless..... when Platz paused and swept his golden hair back at around 2.45mins of that clip and then "feathered" his quads... we simply had never seen such a thing!   AWESOME!  I was a 140lb high school kid watching him on Betamax!

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »
Making a comeback at such an age is both dangerous and irresponsible.

Yes, a comeback= time to start using drugs again.

I could understand it if Tom was going the 'health route'.  However, with all 'former drug users' they will rationalize any situation if it means taking drugs again!

Had a gutful of these pathetic drug abusers!

Would be very surprised if this was the case. He and his wife have gone the complete opposite direction when it comes to drugs and things of the like now. 

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »
 :D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
Tom Platz never has to attempt to sound hardcore.  He IS hardcore.  He invented hardcore.  Hank you just suck sometimes

QFT

Those who weren't even born during that era or were still pooping in their diapers have no idea. No idea how hard this man pushed himself. Ask guys like MaxRep who witness first hand. Even Mentzer "Mr. Intensity" commented on how Platz was like a man possessed when he was training for the 1980 Mr. O and which and how sinfully he and Padilla were robbed by that Arnold Sardinian sidekick. There were guys in that era who really pushed it to the limit. Even unknown guys like Benny Podda were true blue men of grit and guts and made guys like Dillet and Wheeler, though more genetically gifted, look like girly men. Sure they were freaks of nature but hollow, superficial, weak willed, cry babies that in a true test of wills would wilt like a dying flower in the presence of men like Platz and Podda.

But of course you have to be tall to satisfy the giant that is Hank Wood who sits on his perch and belittles men involved in a sport he seems to despise but follows very, very closely. I wonder what Hank Wood has accomplished in life that makes him an authority. He claims to bodybuild and feels qualified to give others advice and writes rules that were all suppose to follow. I wonder what level he has achieved and is it something we should all aspire to.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »
A Rocky movie inspired him for a come back? I mean, he couldn't come up with a better reason?!

Exactly. Like John Rambo, or something.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:21 AM »
Perfect Squats

Wow, why his nagative movement is so fast!?
I feel knee pain just watching it.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »
QFT

Those who weren't even born during that era or were still pooping in their diapers have no idea. No idea how hard this man pushed himself. Ask guys like MaxRep who witness first hand. Even Mentzer "Mr. Intensity" commented on how Platz was like a man possessed when he was training for the 1980 Mr. O and which and how sinfully he and Padilla were robbed by that Arnold Sardinian sidekick. There were guys in that era who really pushed it to the limit. Even unknown guys like Benny Podda were true blue men of grit and guts and made guys like Dillet and Wheeler, though more genetically gifted, look like girly men. Sure they were freaks of nature but hollow, superficial, weak willed, cry babies that in a true test of wills would wilt like a dying flower in the presence of men like Platz and Podda.

But of course you have to be tall to satisfy the giant that is Hank Wood who sits on his perch and belittles men involved in a sport he seems to despise but follows very, very closely. I wonder what Hank Wood has accomplished in life that makes him an authority. He claims to bodybuild and feels qualified to give others advice and writes rules that were all suppose to follow. I wonder what level he has achieved and is it something we should all aspire to.

This is dead on.  Tom trained me for a while and I was lucky enough to watch some of his old footage when I would come early to our sessions.  Possessed is the only word to describe.  Almost as if the weights had done him some grievous deed and hurt his family.  I remember watching this set of chins and smith shoulder presses where I literally thought he was going to explode in anger with the weights.  He took the shoulders presses to the point where the bar was just vibrating on the tracks.
  One time when we squatted, I had 335 on my back and I'm on the 20th rep-the very last one I could grind out, I get to the bottom and he starts screaming at me to hold it there, at the fucking bottom, while he counts to 10 or 20 or whatever it was.  It was awesome. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 03:05:45 AM »
the best squatter.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 03:18:02 AM »
A Rocky movie inspired him for a come back? I mean, he couldn't come up with a better reason?!

Haha, epic failure to understand the epically inspirational power of Rocky ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 03:19:17 AM »
the best squatter.

What a pussy.........he has to roll up a towel and put it on the bar.  ::)
No doubt about it...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 04:38:29 AM »
Ahh forget it, but check this Tom Platz video out.

2 guys literally raping a barbell?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 04:49:31 AM »
Making a comeback at such an age is both dangerous and irresponsible.

Yes, a comeback= time to start using drugs again.

I could understand it if Tom was going the 'health route'.  However, with all 'former drug users' they will rationalize any situation if it means taking drugs again!

Had a gutful of these pathetic drug abusers!
Make sure you give this same speech to everyone on planet earth who drinks alcohol and smokes ciggerettes on a regular basis since that is extremely healthy for you.