Author Topic: Sigh...my bench isnt going anywhere..  (Read 4129 times)

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Sigh...my bench isnt going anywhere..
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
I weigh 240  asshead

If i couldn't knock out 315 for at least a few reps i would shoot myself for being a pussy.

Which is something you might want to look into :D
Don't worry about be shitbag, I weigh 244 @ 5'11" w/34"waist. Go talk to your parents about shit genetics, asshead!
I am a big baby

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »

you are so quick to criticize that you missed my point....yes I admit there was some fear and still is because I don't want to get hurt...like having the bar be too heavy for me and landing on my throat.....but I have been able to work up to 285 by pushing myself.......I think 285 is good weight for a nattie....

and no I do not train at curves..thanks for the sarcasm....I train at a hardcore neighborhood gym and regardless what all the supposed superlifters on here say, it is very difficult as a natural to get to benching 6 big plates (315 lbs).....takes lots and lots of work..especially if you do not work with a spotter and work out alone like I do....

the vast majority of guys on here cannot bench 315 and never will.....if that were easy to attain then everyone in the gym would be able to do so....most make it up to about 225 (4 plates) and can't or won't go any further

Just keep benching bro.don't sweat it and max alot.just keep pushing and try it again after a month and a half or so.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't worry about be shitbag, I weigh 244 @ 5'11" w/34"waist. Go talk to your parents about shit genetics, asshead!

Then you should have no problem slapping up a pic and owning me, right? :D

Big Mark C

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Then you should have no problem slapping up a pic and owning me, right? :D

that line is straight from quackers 'play book'    ah the memories :'(   

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »
and STILL 225 for 4 is all i get on the bench press. what the fuck?

Yeah dude, bench is the hardest area to improve for me too. Seems like my squat and dead always go up but bench stagnates frequently. I have a theory that that kind of strength is expendable and least important to the body in terms of survival, so you got to take unprecedented measures to improve it. My advice to you is to stop doing all exercises that don't involve the chest/tri/delts for at least a month and just focus on this lift - in other words prioritize. Anything ur doing hard (i.e squats and deads) rob your limited energy/recovery resources.

...does this dumbbell press equate to my barbell? or does my barbell seem as though it should be higher based on my dumbbell presses?

In my experiences, carry over strength is marginal. You gotta practice the lift to be good at it. It's a CNS thing.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »
that line is straight from quackers 'play book'    ah the memories :'(   

Someone has to fill in while Dave is away on business

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »

you are so quick to criticize that you missed my point....yes I admit there was some fear and still is because I don't want to get hurt...like having the bar be too heavy for me and landing on my throat.....but I have been able to work up to 285 by pushing myself.......I think 285 is good weight for a nattie....

and no I do not train at curves..thanks for the sarcasm....I train at a hardcore neighborhood gym and regardless what all the supposed superlifters on here say, it is very difficult as a natural to get to benching 6 big plates (315 lbs).....takes lots and lots of work..especially if you do not work with a spotter and work out alone like I do....

the vast majority of guys on here cannot bench 315 and never will.....if that were easy to attain then everyone in the gym would be able to do so....most make it up to about 225 (4 plates) and can't or won't go any further

why dont you have a spotter? how are you going to push yourself and work up to anything without a spotter?

when you're doing something like trying to increase your bench.. its best to do it with a group of guys.. for motivation and practical reasons (like a spot)

you will make much faster progress that way.

and I benched 315.. naturally. so.. stop being a fucking girl. although you could simply be on the weaker side..

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
why dont you have a spotter? how are you going to push yourself and work up to anything without a spotter?

when you're doing something like trying to increase your bench.. its best to do it with a group of guys.. for motivation and practical reasons (like a spot)

and I benched 315.. naturally. so.. stop being a fucking girl. although you could simply be on the weaker side..

Even hard gainers should manage 300 at the peak of their training imo

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »

I think you may have touched on something here

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
Groink in this thread= ;D

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
I think you may have touched on something here

yes.. but I actually think heavy weights are not necessary for adding mass... small progressive increases in weight yes.. but working for a heavy bench is pretty pointless for a bodybuilder.

just to say I benched such and such weight... its an ego thing and its stupid.

I believe its all about the contraction.. increasing resistance slowly over time and really feeling the target muscle contract... is effectivly done with a lighter load.

going lighter.. it will build mass and your joints will thank you later.

but this guy is simply worried about what people think.. he should work on that issue.. not his bench.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
this isnt a training issue, no deal..... the reason why yoru not getting stronger and bigger have been outlined by yourself in previous posts... YOU DONT EAT! and you dont "believe" in eating protein either.....    so heres a suggestion...start eating a big portion of meat and a big portion of carbs and do it several times daily.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:31 AM »
yes.. but I actually think heavy weights are not necessary for adding mass... small progressive increases in weight yes.. but working for a heavy bench is pretty pointless for a bodybuilder.

just to say I benched such and such weight... its an ego thing and its stupid.

I believe its all about the contraction.. increasing resistance slowly over time and really feeling the target muscle contract... is effectivly done with a lighter load.

going lighter.. it will build mass and your joints will thank you later.

but this guy is simply worried about what people think.. he should work on that issue.. not his bench.

agree with everything you said.

I find that the vast majority of dudes can't help but fall into ego training when it comes to chest. the lure of the "big bench"

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Ffs train in a power rack with safety bars if you're lifting alone.  Google, download, and read Starting Strength.  Set aside some $ for time with a lifting coach if no one has ever advised you on form, warmup, injury prevention, your specific problem areas, stretching and flexibility, etc, not just some faggy rep counter but someone who knows their shit and has the crediantials and CV to back up their claims.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2009, 09:55:58 AM »
this isnt a training issue, no deal..... the reason why yoru not getting stronger and bigger have been outlined by yourself in previous posts... YOU DONT EAT! and you dont "believe" in eating protein either.....    so heres a suggestion...start eating a big portion of meat and a big portion of carbs and do it several times daily.

haha tbombz i like eating!

i am satisfied with my other lifts... its not my strength in general that disappoints me, just barbell bench press!

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
Simple. . . . . . . . Just get some fake plates and you'll be doing 405 in no time!!!!!!!!!!!!. . . . . . . Nothing impressess more than a youtube video of someone pushing up heavy weight like they could throw the whole damn bar through the ceiling!!!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »

i am satisfied with my other lifts... its not my strength in general that disappoints me, just barbell bench press!
you like eating candy and cakes and chips.  you need to start to like eatng steaks and chicken breasts and eggs and rice and bread and oats and milk.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »

Have one day dedicated to speed.Take 50-60% of your max bench and do 9 setsX3 reps.These reps should be as fast and as explosive as possible.The plates should be banging at the top.Follow that up with 4 board press with a close grip 5 sets of 5 reps heavy[last set get a max of 5 4 is ok],3 sets pushdowns.

Then have another day where your doing MAX singles on a two board press,3 board press,rack lockouts,floor press,bench with chains,bench with bands etc. you pick the one,work up to a max single.It must be an absolute max.Folow that up with a 5 board bench for 5 setsX5 reps and dumbell presses for three sets and as many reps as you can get.

Test your max in 6 weeks or max for 5 reps or whatever your shooting for.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »
Have one day dedicated to speed.Take 50-60% of your max bench and do 9 setsX3 reps.These reps should be as fast and as explosive as possible.The plates should be banging at the top.Follow that up with 4 board press with a close grip 5 sets of 5 reps heavy[last set get a max of 5 4 is ok],3 sets pushdowns.

Then have another day where your doing MAX singles on a two board press,3 board press,rack lockouts,floor press,bench with chains,bench with bands etc. you pick the one,work up to a max single.It must be an absolute max.Folow that up with a 5 board bench for 5 setsX5 reps and dumbell presses for three sets and as many reps as you can get.

Great post. Are you the Billy Mimnaugh with articles on EliteFTS? I was reading some the other day

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »

solid advice like this is greatly appreciated  :D

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
you like eating candy and cakes and chips.  you need to start to like eatng steaks and chicken breasts and eggs and rice and bread and oats and milk.
Correct.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
Use chains.  Go to HD and buy some heavy ass chains and hang them on the edge.  On your negative the weight will get lighter and as you push it gets heavier.  FUCKING KILLER

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
my bench hasnt gone anywhere since i was 21ish.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »
you like eating candy and cakes and chips.

lol what?? no i dont... ???

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
start to do dumbell presses lay off bench for 5 months.. i know some guys egos cant handle it.. dumbells give u a better chest imo....
after 5 months go back to bench.. and you will see the big improvement in your bench...
choice is an illusion