Author Topic: Obama administration 'anti-religious,' Gingrich says  (Read 1754 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama administration 'anti-religious,' Gingrich says
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
Obama administration 'anti-religious,' Gingrich says
Posted: 05:48 PM ET

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) — Newt Gingrich said Tuesday the Obama administration is "intensely secular" and "anti-religious," the former House Speaker's second hard-hitting criticism of the new administration this week.

In an interview with FOX News, Gingrich said he strongly disagreed with Obama's choice of Harry Knox — an outspoken activist for gay rights — to the White House advisory council on faith-based initiatives.

"I think their goal is to have a very secular America in which government dominates everything," he said. "Why wouldn't you put an anti-religious, left-wing zealot on a faith-based group? It's a perfect pattern for this administration."

Since 2005, Knox has served as the director of the Human Rights Campaign, a national organization that advocates on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. He is also a former Methodist pastor.

Obama formally named Knox to the 25-member advisory council on Monday, a move that has not sat well with some Christian conservatives. The conservative Catholic League called him "unfit to serve," especially taking issue with Knox's recent comment characterizing Pope Benedict XVI as a "discredited leader" because of his opposition to gay marriage.

In a statement released earlier this week, Knox said, "The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community is eager to help the administration achieve its goals around economic recovery and fighting poverty; fatherhood and healthy families; inter-religious dialogue; care for the environment; and global poverty, health and development."

But Gingrich said the Knox appointment, along with some other moves, proves the administration is trying to "go down in history as a consistently anti-religious, secular group of people who are consciously trying to drive things out."

Two days ago, Gingrich told Politico former Vice President Dick Cheney was "clearly right" when he asserted the Obama administration's national security policies have left the country more vulnerable to a terrorist attack.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/08/obama-administration-anti-religious-gingrich-says/#more-46996

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Obama administration 'anti-religious,' Gingrich says
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
Not true.Obama is VERY religious.He attended that tremendous champion of diversity,Rev. Wrights church for twenty years.He sat there and absorbed every word from that little anti-white racist and believed every word.In between ranting there were a couple of "AMENS" heard,so he clearly has a deep religious faith in Rev. Wright.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:42:45 AM »
Newt is cozying up to that far-right faction of the party.

if he makes peace with them from his 1998 mistress mess, he'll be golden for 2012.

Palin and Jindal are fresh faces, but let's be honest here - when it comes to issues, experience, and the ability to crush someone's nuts in a vise, NEWT is the person you'd want holding the wheel.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
Who gives a shit if Obama is religious?

Only fucking idiots care about his religion anyway...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »
Obama cares.  lol . . .  That's why he made his faith a central part of his campaign. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
Obama cares.  lol . . .  That's why he made his faith a central part of his campaign. 

He did it to appease you religious fruitcakes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
He did it to appease you religious fruitcakes.

lol.  Riiight.   ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »
lol.  Riiight.   ::)

You know it's true... You're the most rolleyed person around.

Shows you have no real defense.

They see you rollin'. ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
You know it's true... You're the most rolleyed person around.

Shows you have no real defense.

They see you rollin'. ::)

No defense to what?  You made a dumb comment (hence the eyeroll).  Your comment is factually incorrect.  When I get out of my meeting I can show you how, if you're interested.   :) 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
No defense to what?  You made a dumb comment (hence the eyeroll).  Your comment is factually incorrect.  When I get out of my meeting I can show you how, if you're interested.   :) 

You can show me that President's don't pander to the religious right to get votes?

REALLY?!

Oh please do... Then I can ignore whatever you show like you guys ignore all of the intelligent things Obama has done and just focus on some bullshit.

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Religion and politics shouldnt mix...so even if he was anti religion which he isnt I dont see what the big deal is

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
Who gives a shit if Obama is religious?

Only fucking idiots care about his religion anyway...

I guess Obama must be an idiot, because he made his religious faith a central part of his campaign.

Here he talks about being a devout Christian:

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn’t ‘fall out in church’ as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn’t want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.
. . .

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20080306_news_flash_obama_clinton_claim_christian_faith/

Here he discusses embracing certain parts of the Bible and the death and resurrection of Jesus:

Well, look, obviously as a Christian I believe in the values that are laid out in Scripture. I reflect on them often. I reflect on the lessons of Scripture as I’m going through the day. I pray frequently. I wrestle with doubts and try to figure out whether I’m doing the right thing, am I operating in an honest and moral way that is true to my religious precepts? Sometimes I may falter. So I guess the point is, I approach my work or I guess my faith is part of everything that I do. And I don’t think there’s a clear separation between my faith and how I try to live my life. And I certainly think that part of my motivation in the work that I do is a belief in what I consider the core precept of Christianity in addition to Christ dying for your sins and that is treating your brothers and sisters as you would have them treat you. A sense of empathy and a belief in the golden rule. And that’s what I try to apply to my work and what I do every day.
http://www.jewishjournal.com/thegodblog/item/christianity_and_politics_obama_explains_christ_paid_price_for_sin_20080603/

Here he talks about being called by God:

"The questions I had did not magically disappear," Obama wrote in his recent book, titled "The Audacity of Hope" after Wright's turn of phrase, of the day four years later when he made a formal commitment of Christian faith. "But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0716/p01s01-uspo.html

Here he talks about doing God's will:

Explaining what it meant to him to be a Christian, the Democratic senator from Illinois talked of "walking humbly with our God": "I know that I don't walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-saddleback-obama-mccainaug17,0,4760268.story

Here he uses his faith to try and get votes in South Carolina, calling himself a "committed Christian":

Today, Greg Sargent posted a brochure which the Obama campaign is distributing in South Carolina which seem to include religious appeals at least as overt and explicit as anything Huckabee has done. The center page of the brochure proclaims -- in the largest letters on the page -- that Obama is a "COMMITTED CHRISTIAN," and includes three pictures of Obama, all of which show him praying or preaching in a Church, and also includes a fourth picture: of the interior of a Church with a large cross lurking in the background. The page also says that Obama is "guided by his Christian faith" and quotes Obama saying: "We do what we do because God is with us."

That same page prints Obama's views "on the power of prayer," and -- using the same language George Bush has frequently used as a signifier to evangelical voters -- says that Obama is "Called to Christ," "Called to Bring Change" and "Called to Serve":

Similarly, the front page of the brochure shows Obama in a chin-on-hand contemplative posture and underneath, it reads: "Answering the Call." The last page shows two more pictures of Obama in Church, proclaims him again in large letters to be a "COMMITTED CHRISTIAN," and describes how he "felt a beckoning and accepted Jesus Christ into [his] life":

Sargent speculates that the brochure is an attempt to counter the false whispering campaign increasingly being circulated in South Carolina (by whom, we should find out) that Obama is a Muslim. That very well may be, but the brochure seems designed with a far broader purpose: namely, to signify to South Carolina's many Christian voters that Obama is one of them and therefore should have their vote for President, much the way that Huckabee sought to court the evangelical vote that was so critical to the GOP Iowa caucus.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/01/21/obama/

Now, the spin on this tu, assuming you actually read it, is what? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »
I guess Obama must be an idiot, because he made his religious faith a central part of his campaign.

Here he talks about being a devout Christian:

I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life. But most importantly, I believe in the example that Jesus set by feeding the hungry and healing the sick and always prioritizing the least of these over the powerful. I didn’t ‘fall out in church’ as they say, but there was a very strong awakening in me of the importance of these issues in my life. I didn’t want to walk alone on this journey. Accepting Jesus Christ in my life has been a powerful guide for my conduct and my values and my ideals.
. . .

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/20080306_news_flash_obama_clinton_claim_christian_faith/

Here he discusses embracing certain parts of the Bible and the death and resurrection of Jesus:

Well, look, obviously as a Christian I believe in the values that are laid out in Scripture. I reflect on them often. I reflect on the lessons of Scripture as I’m going through the day. I pray frequently. I wrestle with doubts and try to figure out whether I’m doing the right thing, am I operating in an honest and moral way that is true to my religious precepts? Sometimes I may falter. So I guess the point is, I approach my work or I guess my faith is part of everything that I do. And I don’t think there’s a clear separation between my faith and how I try to live my life. And I certainly think that part of my motivation in the work that I do is a belief in what I consider the core precept of Christianity in addition to Christ dying for your sins and that is treating your brothers and sisters as you would have them treat you. A sense of empathy and a belief in the golden rule. And that’s what I try to apply to my work and what I do every day.
http://www.jewishjournal.com/thegodblog/item/christianity_and_politics_obama_explains_christ_paid_price_for_sin_20080603/

Here he talks about being called by God:

"The questions I had did not magically disappear," Obama wrote in his recent book, titled "The Audacity of Hope" after Wright's turn of phrase, of the day four years later when he made a formal commitment of Christian faith. "But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side of Chicago, I felt God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0716/p01s01-uspo.html

Here he talks about doing God's will:

Explaining what it meant to him to be a Christian, the Democratic senator from Illinois talked of "walking humbly with our God": "I know that I don't walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-saddleback-obama-mccainaug17,0,4760268.story

Here he uses his faith to try and get votes in South Carolina, calling himself a "committed Christian":

Today, Greg Sargent posted a brochure which the Obama campaign is distributing in South Carolina which seem to include religious appeals at least as overt and explicit as anything Huckabee has done. The center page of the brochure proclaims -- in the largest letters on the page -- that Obama is a "COMMITTED CHRISTIAN," and includes three pictures of Obama, all of which show him praying or preaching in a Church, and also includes a fourth picture: of the interior of a Church with a large cross lurking in the background. The page also says that Obama is "guided by his Christian faith" and quotes Obama saying: "We do what we do because God is with us."

That same page prints Obama's views "on the power of prayer," and -- using the same language George Bush has frequently used as a signifier to evangelical voters -- says that Obama is "Called to Christ," "Called to Bring Change" and "Called to Serve":

Similarly, the front page of the brochure shows Obama in a chin-on-hand contemplative posture and underneath, it reads: "Answering the Call." The last page shows two more pictures of Obama in Church, proclaims him again in large letters to be a "COMMITTED CHRISTIAN," and describes how he "felt a beckoning and accepted Jesus Christ into [his] life":

Sargent speculates that the brochure is an attempt to counter the false whispering campaign increasingly being circulated in South Carolina (by whom, we should find out) that Obama is a Muslim. That very well may be, but the brochure seems designed with a far broader purpose: namely, to signify to South Carolina's many Christian voters that Obama is one of them and therefore should have their vote for President, much the way that Huckabee sought to court the evangelical vote that was so critical to the GOP Iowa caucus.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/01/21/obama/

Now, the spin on this tu, assuming you actually read it, is what? 

Simple... Every politician panders to the religious people in this country because they know full well if they say that they don't really think about religion that much, that they CAN NOT win public office.

There is no spin... That is a fact.

You religious nut jobs fuck it up for everyone.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
Simple... Every politician panders to the religious people in this country because they know full well if they say that they don't really think about religion that much, that they CAN NOT win public office.

There is no spin... That is a fact.

You religious nut jobs fuck it up for everyone.

Is Obama a religious nut job, or is he simply lying about his faith? 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
When I get out of my meeting I can show you how, if you're interested.   :) 

Awwwww

Your playing "office"?  How cute
S

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

Probably lying to get the job... Sometimes you just gotta lie.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »

Pretty elaborate lies.  That doesn't bother you?

No, you don't have to lie.   

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

I'd say that's not just your average garden-variety little white lie, it's a real whopper.  And if he's that practiced at lying...  well...  he's already proven he is with a long laundry list of broken campaign pledges.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »

I'd say that's not just your average garden-variety little white lie, it's a real whopper.  And if he's that practiced at lying...  well...  he's already proven he is with a long laundry list of broken campaign pledges.

Bull shit... You will not win any high profile political election if you do not claim to get your god on.

You are full of it if you say otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
Bull shit... You will not win any high profile political election if you do not claim to get your god on.

You are full of it if you say otherwise.

Now that's true.  I've said this many times.

But we were discussing (a) whether Obama is a "religious nut job" and (b) whether he is lying about being a "religious nut job."   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 03:52:47 PM »
Now that's true.  I've said this many times.

But we were discussing (a) whether Obama is a "religious nut job" and (b) whether he is lying about being a "religious nut job."   

Like I said... I believe he's lying.

I don't have any proof of course... but I feel he lied because he wouldn't win an election otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
I tried to challenge him for the honors but couldn't keep up :D

Dude you got me beat by miles.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
no way, but if so do I get a trophy? ;D

No, but we do have a nice t-shirt for you:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »

1. All politicans lie
2. Can you name ANY athiest holders of any major american office?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
1. All politicans lie
2. Can you name ANY athiest holders of any major american office?

1.  No they "all" don't. 

2.  No.  I don't think an atheist can ever be elected president and probably not governor, because the overwhelming majority of the country believes in God, the majority of Americans are Christian, and atheists are the least trusted group in the country. 

Contrary to the view of paranoid anti-religious extremists, the majority of the voting public actually care about whether their president, governors, etc. believe in God.  That's why you had a moderator at one of the Democrat primary debates ask the candidates things like what their favorite Bible verse was.  Faith matters.