Author Topic: Do UFC fighters get paid the same or worse than pro bodybuilding?  (Read 7712 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
I trained under Alex Steibling back when he fought in Pride over in Japan and I can confirm he made $40K per fight in cash which was undeclared when he reentered the U.S.  ;)

Also, the UFC pays all your medical bills and gives out $60K bonuses if your fight earns Fight of the Night, Knock Out of the Night, or Submission of the Night.

Dana White is notorious for giving bonuses under the table and expensive gifts. For instance I heard he bought GSP a house and a nice car. It was also revealed in an interview with Fedor's former manager that since he was on a 1 fight deal that Pride would give him huge payments under the table so he wouldn't jump to K-1.

Both the UFC and Pride are/were run by the mafia.

Hahahahah!!!! ok don corleone...  ::)  ::)

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
Hahahahah!!!! ok don corleone...  ::)  ::)

If you knew anything about MMA you'd know this is a fact and is publically know as the reason why Pride lost network television rights in 2006.  The Yakuza were threatening executives from K-1.

The Fertitas who own the UFC have ties to the Italian-American mafia.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
Re: Do UFC fighters get paid the same or worse than pro bodybuilding?
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »
My personal outlook on the Japanese MMA scene

By Zach Arnold | December 21, 2007 | Print This

Warning: This is a very long post.

For the last couple of months, I’ve stayed relatively quiet in terms of talking about the Japanese MMA scene and how things are lining up. For starters, I’m bored with a lot of it. Secondly, I don’t see a lot of positives right now.

Here is my breakdown of how the political landscape in Japan is shaping up and what you should be paying close attention to.

The power brokers and matchmakers

Dave Meltzer recently wrote an article on Yahoo profiling the tradition of MMA on NYE in Japan. There were a few bloggers who were shocked, stunned, surprise, or whatever adjective you want to use to learn about how Fedor ended up working for the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2003 event (instead of the PRIDE event that same night).

If you read through out our site archives (which contains a ton of information from start to finish about how the yakuza scandal occurred), you probably already know the story. Start reading by using these links (here, here, here, and here).

However, let me give you a more detailed account of what exactly happened (based on my personal knowledge and years of talking to people inside the Japanese MMA business).

Antonio Inoki had ran a disastrous event called “Legends” on 8/8/02 at the Tokyo Dome for Nippon TV. Akira Fukuzawa, long-time All Japan Pro-Wrestling play-by-play man, did the PBP call for the event. (This is the event where Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira destroyed Sanae Kikuta and Kikuta ended up doing a stretcher job.) It was a disastrous event because the main event was Naoya Ogawa vs. Matt Ghaffari. The show did terrible numbers at the gate and was a black mark for Inoki. Inoki’s power source, old-time Japanese entertainment business mogul Tatsuo Kawamura, was the backer of this project and every other project known to man since then for The Big Chin. Kawamura owns one of Japan’s largest entertainment companies, K-Dash, and Ogawa has always been closely tied to Kawamura.

You have to understand what the power structure of the Japanese MMA business was in 2002. You had K-1 and PRIDE working together. As we’ve learned in the last couple of years, the power structures of the two groups were as follows: K-1 had Kazuyoshi Ishii as the boss, with Ken Imai and Nobuaki Kakuda in secondary roles along with admitted yakuza-fixer Seiya Kawamata and Daisuke Teraguchi, who helped out with foreign business. PRIDE’s backers consisted of Hiromichi Momose (the guy at the early PRIDE events in black glasses and a ballcap who always marked out for fighters at ringside after the fights were over), along with underlings of Naoto Morishita and Nobuyuki Sakakibara. Nobuhiko Takada has always been a front man (a spokesperson) rather than someone with major power in the group. Momose followed Takada after the end of UWF-International and the start of PRIDE in 1997 under the KRS banner. The power base for PRIDE was in Nagoya, which is where Morishita and Sakakibara came from.

Mixed in with all of this were the major agents. Motoko Uchida, who was Akira Maeda’s secretary when he ran the RINGS promotion, ended up being a power broker for the Brazilian Top Team in Japan. The rumor (for a long time in Japan) was that Uchida was backed heavily by Tatsuo Kawamura (the same guy backing Inoki and supposedly Kawamata). Koichi “Booker K” Kawasaki was the power broker for Chute Boxe Academy in Japan. Australian-born Miro Mijatovic was the super-agent to be, as he was really the most powerful gaijin agent at the time in Japan (managing both Fedor and Mirko Cro Cop, along with fighters in Fedor’s camp). Mijatovic had made his living in Japan for many years as a contract lawyer and had deals in place with star athletes like famous swimmer Ian Thorpe for business in Japan. Mijatovic worked alongside Bas Boon, who is very close to Golden Glory. Mr. Kokubo, the man who is behind J-ROCK, is the backer of fighters like Hidehiko Yoshida, Kazuhiro Nakamura, etc. J-ROCK is now backing the new World Victory Road project.

The events that shook up the Japanese MMA scene forever

For those of you who have followed the PRIDE yakuza scandal since day one, none of this information is new. However, if you’re a newcomer, here is a synopsis of what took place.

K-1, PRIDE, and Inoki cooperated with each other on a big show (produced by K-1) called Dynamite on August 28th, 2002 at Kokuritsu (National) Stadium in Tokyo. The stadium was meant to be used for soccer, so the amount of production equipment and portable toilets needed to be installed to execute this show was monstrous. The show drew a huge crowd of over 70,000 (legitimately paid), even though 91,000 was the claimed attendance. After this event, things started to fall apart.

Since NYE of 2000, all the parties had been cooperating with each other for events (2000 was a SkyPerfecTV PPV at the Osaka Dome, 2001-2002 was at Saitama super Arena taped for Tokyo Broadcasting System). However, the factions started feuding with each other after two important incidents.

There had been rumors that K-1 was undergoing some tax problems. Kazuyoshi Ishii was paying out a lot of money to foreign fighters and had also desparately wanted to sign Mike Tyson. Ishii ended up getting busted in December of 2002 in a raid by the Tokyo tax bureau. There were allegations that a contract for Mike Tyson was forged in order to divert money, that fighters were being paid under the table, and that evidence of such acts were intentionally destroyed. Ishii ended up going to jail, along with a mysterious Bangladesh man who was arrested in another country and was sentenced for making phony contracts for Ishii. Ken Imai was rumored to be close to Ishii on business deals at the time, but he was never charged or convicted of any crimes. Imai ended up leaving the K-1 power structure.

Sadaharu Tanigawa, a former pro-wrestling and MMA writer, took over for Ishii. He created FEG as his umbrella group to run operations.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »
Part 3
Meanwhile, Kawamata was having his own troubles before and after the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show. According to Kawamata in Shukan Gendai magazine, he was allegedly receiving threats from DSE yakuza for booking Fedor. After the Inoki show, Kawamata was summoned to a building in Shizuoka where he was threatened for blackmail money — by his own yakuza gang members, who turned on him and supposedly were friendly now to DSE. Kawamata ended up leaving Japan and there were some angry people.

According to Shukan Gendai, Mijatovic was summoned to a hotel room meeting where a gun was allegedly pointed to his head and was warned about crossing DSE. Mijatovic’s relationship with Red Devil started to deterioriate as Sakakibara and PRIDE started to get closer to Vadim and Fedor. Eventually, Mijatovic left the MMA business and focused his business activities on Japan’s lucrative love hotel sector (raising capital to buy properties and renovate depressed areas).

Kawamata’s revenge

Seiya Kawamata launched a multi-pronged attack against DSE. He filed a police complaint in 2005 with the Kanagawa Police, claiming that alleged yakuza members connected to DSE threatened him. He helped cooperate with Kodansha, the publisher of Shukan Gendai, for a multi-month negative campaign against DSE. The magazine campaign built up so much public pressure on Fuji TV (which was having a stockholder’s meeting to address Livedoor’s attempt at a hostile takeover of their company) that the network dropped DSE programming despite the large ratings it attracted.

The Kanagawa Police investigation into Kawamata’s claims went unresolved because they couldn’t track down Mr. I (aka Mr. Ishizaka aka Kim-Dok Soo), who rumoredly fled to South Korea at the time of the investigation.

With PRIDE finished and Kazuyoshi Ishii sitting in a jail cell, the MMA scene became weakened in Japan. Almost scorched earth, in fact. There are strong rumors now that Seiya Kawamata is back in Japan and is making some big political decisions impacting the NYE scene this year for MMA. (Hence why there seems to be cooperation between the Yarennoka and K-1 MMA events.)

Personally, a story I found fascinating is a report in Japan that Kawamata supposedly has a stake or interest in FC management, the supposed company backing and representing Brandon Vera. The story got no traction whatsoever in the US MMA blogosphere, which surprises me given that Kawamata is an admitted yakuza fixer.

It should be noted that the Yarennoka event will likely do lackluster business (since it is only on SkyPerfecTV PPV and not on free-to-air TV). Good benchmarks for the show (in my estimation) would be 30,000 PPV buys and 10,000 paid tickets sold. Anything over those benchmarks is gravy. My personal opinion is to expect some papering of tickets for the DSE event in Saitama. (Same for their Hustle afternoon event).

There is not much appeal at all for the Yarennoka event in Japan. It is scarily quiet this year in terms of NYE MMA activity, certainly by a longshot when compared to previous years. I personally have zero interest in the DSE event and very little interest in the K-1 event, which is personally shocking to me (I’m actually interested in watching the UFC 79 event).

The intriguing part about the DSE event on 12/31 is that more people in America may be watching the event on HDNet than people paying to see it in Japan on SkyPerfecTV. Completely unfathomable if you’ve been a fan of the NYE MMA events in Japan since 2000.

If you’re curious as to how HDNet got the rights for the DSE event, I can only come up with one guess (it is conjecture) as to how it happened. HDNet ended up making a deal with M-1 Global for the TV rights from SkyPerfecTV. In past dealings between PRIDE and Vadim Finkelstein (of M-1), the Russians were given the TV rights to PRIDE events and they turned around to distribute the footage in other TV markets. So, it’s totally not out of the question that the same deal happened here (Vadim and M-1 got the TV rights, M-1 Global flipped them around and made a deal with HDNet).

The direction of MMA in Japan for 2008

With Seiya Kawamata supposedly back in action in Japan, expect the unexpected. He likes to make big splashes and big moves, but it’s usually always short-term business. It will probably be a more interesting year in terms of politics than it will be in terms of fight quality.

Caleb at MMA Predictions unwittingly gave away the main event for the World Victory Road 3/5 Tokyo, Yoyogi National Stadium Gym I event (which is being negotiated as Hidehiko Yoshida vs. Roger Gracie).

I expect to see a ton of mid-range shows in Japan for 2008, with a very mixed success rate (2 out of every 3 shows will probably be money losers or minor failures). I don’t expect great things at all coming out of Japan and with UFC expanding its schedule for more shows, expect to see more Japanese talent make its way to foreign soil and to make a pitch to get into WEC.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:32 AM »

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 12:39:14 AM »

Watch the Video in HQ^

The_Hammer

• Getbig V

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 03:25:15 AM »
The UFC is pretty stingy with their pay in some cases,  I know when Sherk was the LW champ he was getting 5 g's less a fight than what Gil Melendez was getting from Strikeforce.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »
we are bodybuilders for one reason, all those athletes can come and go anywhere without getting anyones attention.  all we have to do is enter a store, mall, building dressed any way and boom, everyone notices how big we are.  we are asked immediately if we train, how big we are etc.  It gets better with age guys, I am 53 and nobodys guesses my age, the women love me-all the women.  The younger kids want to know how I train, what I eat, and the supplements I take.  They love to see us.  MMA, football, it doesnt matter.  We are the ones they want to see, with and without clothes.  Thats why we train...

oh brother ::)  The only attention you're getting is from old fat guys who want to oil you down.  The VAST majority of people laugh a big bodybuilders, think they are gross and realize that most are broke and addicted to steroids.  Go to any NPC/IFBB bodybuilding show and you'll see an audience full of schmoes, she-beasts and a handful family members.  Go to any WEC/UFC event and you'll see true sports fans, celebrities, hot chicks, etc.

To even compare the two sports in terms of income and popularity is a joke.  One is the fastest growing sport in the US, where it's athletes are getting sponsorship deals from brands like Gatorade, the other (not even a sport) is the least popular it's ever been and the majority of the sponsorship money comes from rich gay guys.
w

The Coach

we are bodybuilders for one reason, all those athletes can come and go anywhere without getting anyones attention.  all we have to do is enter a store, mall, building dressed any way and boom, everyone notices how big we are.  we are asked immediately if we train, how big we are etc.  It gets better with age guys, I am 53 and nobodys guesses my age, the women love me-all the women.  The younger kids want to know how I train, what I eat, and the supplements I take.  They love to see us.  MMA, football, it doesnt matter.  We are the ones they want to see, with and without clothes.  Thats why we train...

Uummm........something tells me if you and lets say Michael Jordan were in the same room, you just might as well be invisable.

mass 04

• Getbig V
hahah oh boy, this guy must write for Animal Pak.

The Coach

Uummm........something tells me if you and lets say Michael Jordan were in the same room, you just might as well be invisable.

Correction........if Ronnie, you and Michael Jordan were in the same room, you AND Ronnie Coleman might as well be invisable.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
Correction........if Ronnie, you and Michael Jordan were in the same room, you AND Ronnie Coleman might as well be invisable.

What he doesn't get, is that people look at him when he walks into a room, the same way way people look at an emaciated anorexic chick.  They're not admiring, they are feeling pity...."ohhh, look at that poor guy.  He must have a serious steroid/drug problem".  The really funny part is, that just like the anorexic chick, the juiced up "bodybuilders" feed off the ogling and fall further into the pits of their addiction.
w

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »
bob chick makes more money than most ifbb pros....WEIRD!!!!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
What he doesn't get, is that people look at him when he walks into a room, the same way way people look at an emaciated anorexic chick.  They're not admiring, they are feeling pity...."ohhh, look at that poor guy.  He must have a serious steroid/drug problem".  The really funny part is, that just like the anorexic chick, the juiced up "bodybuilders" feed off the ogling and fall further into the pits of their addiction.

Didn't you used to be one of those juiced up bodybuilders !?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
I sure was.  I got into it for the same reason most people do.  I thought bigger muscles and bodybuilding trophies would bring me hotter chicks, lots of money, good health and respect.  Instead, it brought me a fan base of schmoes, credit card debt, drug use & ridicule.  As soon as I saw it for what it was, I hightailed it out of there.

Hardcore/committed bodybuilder = loser in life :)
w

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
40k a year to fight.

that's not great, but what does the job entail?  Fighting 8 or 10 times a year?  Spending 2 hours a day training, and relaxing the rest of the day.

INJURIES = MEDICAL BILLS = CAREER OVER

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »
I sure was.  I got into it for the same reason most people do.  I thought bigger muscles and bodybuilding trophies would bring me hotter chicks, lots of money, good health and respect.  Instead, it brought me a fan base of schmoes, credit card debt, drug use & ridicule.  As soon as I saw it for what it was, I hightailed it out of there.

Hardcore/committed bodybuilder = loser in life :)

can you describe the ridicule?

E
E

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

Damn, Mindspin spittin some truth in this thread  ;D
just not good enough

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:42 AM »
can you describe the ridicule?

E

Sure, when you walk into a business meeting weighing in at 220+lbs with veiny forearms, it's clear to everyone in the room that you're using drugs and spending way too much time in the gym and not enough on the business.  When you take your smelly Tupperware out of the microwave and stink up the whole office with smelly turkey or some other vile "bodybuilding" food.  Or, when you have your ass handed to you by a tiny tit that is a better fighter than you.  I could go on and on.  Most people think bodybuilding as a "sport" is a complete joke.

That said, training & eating to improve your strength, flexibility, endurance and health is a good thing.  That's what I do today...
w

bigmike99

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Sure, when you walk into a business meeting weighing in at 220+lbs with veiny forearms, it's clear to everyone in the room that you're using drugs and spending way too much time in the gym and not enough on the business.  When you take your smelly Tupperware out of the microwave and stink up the whole office with smelly turkey or some other vile "bodybuilding" food.  Or, when you have your ass handed to you by a tiny tit that is a better fighter than you.  I could go on and on.  Most people think bodybuilding as a "sport" is a complete joke.

That said, training & eating to improve your strength, flexibility, endurance and health is a good thing.  That's what I do today...
I ask myself--why would someone who feels this way proudly display his pictures of his competitive training days on this site? It sounds like he is supposedly ashamed of that period of his life.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 12:53:06 PM »

MindSpin, not trying to be a prick, but it just sounds like you were trying to use bodybuilding to cover some insecurities and realized it wasn't working.  No big deal, but no reason to be so hostile towards it now.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
MindSpin, not trying to be a prick, but it just sounds like you were trying to use bodybuilding to cover some insecurities and realized it wasn't working.  No big deal, but no reason to be so hostile towards it now.

I think 99% of guys who take up bodybuilding do it out of some level of insecurities including me.

I ask myself--why would someone who feels this way proudly display his pictures of his competitive training days on this site? It sounds like he is supposedly ashamed of that period of his life.

I am proud that I was able to develop the physique I did.  It was very hard and required tremendous discipline.  But from day one I knew it was a hobby and that sooner rather than later I would move on to other more productive, legal & healthier activities. 

w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »

how would people comment?  you got beat up by a smaller guy?

E
E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
how would people comment?  you got beat up by a smaller guy?

E

I've gotten worked by smaller guys countless times in my BJJ classes.  I also do a lot of hiking & mountain biking.  The skinny little tits destroy me every time.  Keep in mind I'm between 190-210 and in decent cardio shape.  If I was still walking around at 220+ I would not even come close to being able to hang with them.

w