Author Topic: Any opinions on skullcrushers?  (Read 2380 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Any opinions on skullcrushers?
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:18:54 AM »
Some say bad, some say good; what do you say?
I hate the State.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Any opinions on skullcrushers?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:00:54 AM »
I prefer them with the bar lowered behind the head.
It’s easier on my elbows and I feel a greater stretch/ROM, which I believe promotes better growth.

I lower the bar slowly, which is also easier on the joints.
And I don’t worry too much about keeping my elbows pointing perfectly forward.
No matter which way they point, it’s still an elbow flexion movement.

My triceps always get a great feeling from these.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
x2

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
essental for big tris
but form is key
choice is an illusion

toe2toe

• Getbig II
  • AIN'T FOUND A WAY TO KILL ME YET
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
just out of curiousity how what you think is more important on this one: weight or reps?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
I prefer them on the decline bench, sometimes with a hammer grip.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »
It’s easier on my elbows and I feel a greater stretch/ROM, which I believe promotes better growth.

That's more of a Laying tricep extension/French Press.  Which I prefer to doing Skull Crushers.  SC's are a great movement but tend to give a lot of problems at the elbow joint for a lot of people.  I do French Presses on a decline bench and never have any problems with my elbows like I did with SC's.  They are probably one of the best overall tricep builders you can do, next to dips or CGBP's.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:26 PM »
whatsthe diff between a skull crusher and french press
choice is an illusion

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
just out of curiousity how what you think is more important on this one: weight or reps?

weight is important w/ the correct form for this particular mvmt. i find when i keep my elbows pretty close and keep the reps bt 8-12 hit 'em pretty good

yeah i agree with this...lowering behind the head def relieves stress on the elbows...keeping the elbows tooo close feels a little awkward and unnatural 

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
depends on the exercise, for close griip benches i keep the reps in the 4-6 range, go higher reps on other triceps exercises

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:06:52 PM »
I do French Presses on a decline bench and never have any problems with my elbows like I did with SC's.  They are probably one of the best overall tricep builders you can do, next to dips or CGBP's.

That's another EXCELLENT tip that I completely forgot about!

It’s a shame because I used to do these when I had fairly prominent elbow problems a few years ago.
Worked very well.

Thanks.
I'm doing these next week.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »

x3

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
whatsthe diff between a skull crusher and french press

French Press goes behind the head, gives a better stretch IMO, and when you extend you don't go straight up, sort of at about an 80 degree angle.  I usually don't lock out either keeping full tension on the triceps then lower the weight back down behind the head in a nice controlled fashion.   Skull Crushers you lower the bar to your forehead/nose and extend straight up.  This puts a lot of pressure on the elbow joints and after a while can cause some problems for a lot of people.  So doing French Presses on the decline bench will save a lot of elbow pain.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
ok cool... i alternate but admitedley taking it behind the head gives a good stretch
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
There's a lot of overlap and confusion when it comes to triceps movements. Most of the terms have multiple meanings and are just confusing. Best to stick with the term extensions and forgo the use of either french press or skulls, because in both cases there are multiple interpretations of what they are and/or the exercises aren't nearly as effective.

French press is a confusing term because you'll see all sorts of interpretations as to what it means-sitting, lying, where to lower the weight, etc. The definition in this thread for example is only one of the interpretations i've seen over the years, so don't even get bogged down trying to make sense of it or use that term.

Skulls are another confusing term that is sometimes mixed with extensions. Skulls shouldn't even be bothered with, they're not a terribly effective exercise  while being hard on the elbows and dangerous if the weight's dropped. I see this exercise done all the time and consider it quite a waste of effort.

Do all versions of extensions behind the head, whether sitting, lying or with overhead pulley. Far more effective, and depending on the angles and exercise, easier on the joints.

What's amazing to me is that even some pros don't understand the advantages of one over the other, whereas others do. Without a doubt the ones doing extensions behind the head are the more informed ones-Larry Scott, Yates and Boyer Coe for example.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
Skullcrushers,aka Lying Triceps Extensions.......bar is lowered to nose,forehead,or behind the head to mid skull (the crown of the head to be technical/specific)

French Press,aka Triceps Extensions.....usually done with an E-Z Curl bar as are the Skulls.....done seated or standing..bar is lowered behind head...the only exercise that allows a completely stretched position so it should be done often.

Dumbells,straight bars,and cables as well as the E-Z Curl bar, can be used on both exercises.

Hope this helps!!  :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »
Skullcrushers,aka Lying Triceps Extensions.......bar is lowered to nose,forehead,or behind the head to mid skull (the crown of the head to be technical/specific)

This is a classic example of what i mentioned earlier..Skulls are not the same as extensions. Skulls are to the face and not worth much/tough on the joints, extensions are behind the head and more effective, less harsh on the joints.

French Press,aka Triceps Extensions.....usually done with an E-Z Curl bar as are the Skulls.....done seated or standing..bar is lowered behind head...the only exercise that allows a completely stretched position so it should be done often.
Again, not accurate. As i mentioned, sometimes French Presses are defined as either to the face or behind the head, and there's added confusion as to whether they're done lying or seated.

Forget skulls/french presses, just adds confusion. Extensions - specify lying, seated, etc.

usually done with an E-Z Curl bar as are the Skulls
No, can be done with anything.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »
I do lying tri extensions, but i have started doing then on a low angle incline. Just feels a bit better than on the flat bench......
No doubt about it...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
Skull crushers are a partial movement (short ROM), so touching the actually forehead with the knuckles or the bar it's self is the main purpose. Either will depend on the spacing of the grip on the bar. Some like an extra close grip, to the center knuckling. This is an exercise that will require the elbows out quite a bit the closer the grip. Skull Crushers are a single joint movement (when done right) and are regarded as an extension movement. Seen a few do 300+ in this exercise. They all tended to have huge triceps and not one of them locked out at top.

Guy's have also done SC'er's in a PR, rather than actually touching the forehead. The pins stop the BB at what ever height they want to work with. Half, quarter or whatever partial distance is wanted.

Not like the JM presses, with the elbows kept somewhat close to the body throughout the ROM. PL'ers are currently into the JM presses big time for the workload on the triceps themselves.

French Presses: old time strongmen from France and French speaking regions in Germany adopted this movement as part of standard contest lifts. Hence the name. Excellent tricep builder which can make the exercise more affect by the full stretch of the triceps. Elbows out wide like SC'er's. Single joint extension exercise. Usually done standing though can be done sitting, with the back braced. Also can used a single DB, holding with both hands. Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
I wish I knew how bad skull crushers were on the elbows earlier. Now i do extentions lying or seated behind the head with a very controlled negative