Author Topic: Most Americans read less than one book per year  (Read 16866 times)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: Most Americans read less than one book per year
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »
I'm American and have never read a book in my entire life. Only cook books. Dropped out of school at age fourteen. Education is over rated. I've never had a problem being dumb and succesful.

cook books contain the most beautiful poetry ever written

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »
i read quite a bit, but not books.

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
  • "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" - David Lee Roth
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
Jeder zieht ueber den Ami her, aber die Frage, die sich dann stellt, ist nicht, ob das gerechtfertigt ist, sondern ob es tatsaechlich seinen Grund hat...

Nun, hätte man einen Grund, wäre es gerechtfertigt... nun sagst du, die Frage ist nicht, ob das nun gerechtfertigt ist (das steht also schon von vornherein fest). Also, da es gerechtfertigt ist, besteht ein Grund (eine Rechtfertigung)... genug Logik für heute.

I mostly read scientific books and journals, also guitar magazines, and I can't remember the last time I switched my TV on...

There's a quote from a german filmmaker (Werner Herzog) that goes like this: "those who read own the world, and those who watch television lose it."... and I think it's true... wish there was a better education standard across the world and I also hope that one day all the money that goes to military research and arms industry will be spent on education and research for things that really serves all the human being instead of privileging few and destroying others.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
i read quite a bit, but not books.

package leaflets?

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 02:40:16 PM »
I'm American and have never read a book in my entire life. Only cook books. Dropped out of school at age fourteen. Education is over rated. I've never had a problem being dumb and succesful.
good for you dude

I'm a firm believer that you are born smart and are either a smart or stupid person, education can help cultivate intelligence but it cannot and doesn't make you intelligent.

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »
you like to read from screen? i have good ebooks of which some of them i bought the real book of just because it still reads better from paper.

It doesn't bother me.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »
Nun, hätte man einen Grund, wäre es gerechtfertigt... nun sagst du, die Frage ist nicht, ob das nun gerechtfertigt ist (das steht also schon von vornherein fest). Also, da es gerechtfertigt ist, besteht ein Grund (eine Rechtfertigung)... genug Logik für heute.

I mostly read scientific books and journals, also guitar magazines, and I can't remember the last time I switched my TV on...

There's a quote from a german filmmaker (Werner Herzog) that goes like this: "those who read own the world, and those who watch television lose it."... and I think it's true... wish there was a better education standard across the world and I also hope that one day all the money that goes to military research and arms industry will be spent on education and research for things that really serves all the human being instead of privileging few and destroying others.

Are you German?
Werner Herzog is one of the greatest.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

Bist du Deutscher?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

Ich leide an Internetsucht.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
Are you German?

Piefkes suck...
I hate the State.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
This isn't the 1800's, like Adonis you think doing higher culture things makes you smart, it doesn't it just makes you look dumb.  Adonis thinks drinking fine wine makes him above other people. 

jt
TEAM Nasser

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
package leaflets?
lol!

no, i read stuff on the web, i read a few of the newspapers we get at my house, i read a weeekly op/ed news magazine i get called "the nation", i read muscular development for a a few days each month when i get it.  only time i read a book lately is just text book for class.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
lol!

no, i read stuff on the web, i read a few of the newspapers we get at my house, i read a weeekly op/ed news magazine i get called "the nation", i read muscular development for a a few days each month when i get it.  only time i read a book lately is just text book for class.

tbombz has more knowledge than some person sitting in a library reading books that 100 years old that have nothing to do with today and how the world works.
TEAM Nasser

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
And judging from the Americans I've met, it shows.  I happen to read over 100 books per year.
LOL. Is this a book snob thread!? Bring it on jehwit, I'll volley that serve back over the net faster than you served it. What is with people these days?  ???

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
And judging from the Americans I've met, it shows.  I happen to read over 100 books per year.

It doesn't impress the good folks at Omegle:

Connecting to server...
Looking for someone you can chat with. Hang on.
You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!
Stranger: charis from ireland?
You: Hi I'm jehwit
You: I read 100 books a year
Stranger: thats weaksauze
Stranger: only 100?
Stranger: what are you 5?
You: I have an incredible amount of knowledge
You: and I constantly seek to increase it
Stranger: nah man you are an illiterate teat
Stranger: *twat
Stranger: here is some knowledge...
You: your diploma is suitable for puppy training
Stranger: you life is not worth living
You: do you know nasser el-sonbaty?
Stranger: puppy training is fucking hard
Stranger: you don't know shit guy
Stranger: yah
You: he is only the (at least) 3 time uncrowned Mr Olympia
You: he has movie star good looks
You: but you don't read enough to know that
Stranger: you have a man crush on him?
Stranger: i knew that idiot
Stranger: i don't go saying that to everyone
Stranger: because its lame
Stranger: like you
You: You don't read 100 books a year, and it shows
Stranger: i read two a day
Stranger: including LEAP YEARS!
You: probably rubbish
Stranger: who are you to judge retard
You: i judge retards like you every day on getbig.com
Stranger: well I probably edit all those books you read
Stranger: i work for a major publisher
You: derrick anthony is going to find your personal info like he did squadfather
You: you mean you clean the offices of the editors janitor boy
Stranger: i killed derrick anthony
Stranger: I started the company
Stranger: and i have hitmen
You: and when craig titus gets out of jail he's gonna kick your ass
Stranger: closing in on your position
Stranger: good luck bozo
You: later ass clown
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

~

Lumberjack88

• Getbig III
  • "Big Dreamers Never Sleep" - David Lee Roth
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
Are you German?

Nein, Deutscher bin ich nicht... Bin ein Bosnier (Yugo) der zurzeit in der Schweiz lebt... und ja... Werner Herzog und Klaus Kinski ftw ;)
Woher seid ihr beiden, Deicide und Wavelength?

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
Bush read 95 books in 2006.  Contrary to popular opinion, he was more apt to read one than burn one. 

Also, Hitler read extensively and amassed a respectable library.  I think he burned a lot, though.   :(

Oh, and American Universities are still the best in the world overall.  Very little debate in that. 

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:56 PM »
Nein, Deutscher bin ich nicht... Bin ein Bosnier (Yugo) der zurzeit in der Schweiz lebt... und ja... Werner Herzog und Klaus Kinski ftw ;)
Woher seid ihr beiden, Deicide und Wavelength?

Austria

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
not me.  I have read several books this year, and thousands of posts on getbig.   ;)

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »
Sorry, but I don't read rubbish. I read the world's great literature, philosophy, psychology, polemics, economics, etc.

Any recommendations?  

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2009, 01:08:40 AM »

Not bad...However TA has read every word and pondered ever sentence of War and Peace in 23 days...And he happens to be American :o

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2009, 01:51:28 AM »
lumber jack my eastblock friend...your english and german skills surprise me,the bosnians i know don't talk that much they rather let their fists speak
i think you are the only eastern european along with sevestase who can speak english that well

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2009, 01:52:34 AM »
lumber jack my eastblock friend...your english and german skills surprise me,the bosnians i know don't talk that much they rather let their fists speak
i think you are the only eastern european along with sevestase who can speak english that well

You're not too bad yourself doner fresser.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 01:53:41 AM »

Schweizerdeutsch= :-X
I hate the State.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »
You're not too bad yourself doner fresser.

you're quite the reichsführer yourself eisenherz